Zero Punctuation: Metro: Last Light

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
On second thought, lets do give it to the Call of Duty players. Maybe their being armless will slightly reduce the frequency of games in that formula being repeated or, at the very least, improve our international relations considerably.

But yeah, Metro: Last Light. Played the first one, I thought it was more immersive than Half Life 2. From the sounds of Yahtzee's impressions, sure enough, it's the same game, maybe a little better. I'll probably wait until it hits $30, 'cuz the trouble with these games is I play them once, am riveted for about 15 hours, but them I'm done with it forever.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Personally I kind of like public transport, does anybody know if public transport is better in the Netherlands compared Australia?

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Loved the first one, loving this one.

Glad to see they ditched that multiplayer nonsense, but still a bit peeved they ever bothered wasting resources on that in the first place until half-way through development.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
themilo504 said:
Personally I kind of like public transport, does anybody know if public transport is better in the Netherlands compared Australia?
The buses in Australia weren't so bad. The air con was a bit overdone. I think I ended up with pneumonia by the end of it. Public transport in the UK on the other hand, the less said about the better.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
geldonyetich said:
On second thought, lets do give it to the Call of Duty players. Maybe their being armless will slightly reduce the frequency of games in that formula being repeated, slightly.
I'm sure a few of the Spunkgargleweewee fans would suffer a nervous breakdown if not an aneurysm as well. Would certainly improve the gaming industry plus clean up the human gene pool a bit.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I have the same problem figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing in KOTOR II.

Funny how Yahtzee avoided giving the first game a review because it was good (albeit depressing). Since Bioshock he's focused on picking nits but I didn't think he deliberately avoided giving games reviews simply because they were good. It makes me wonder how many games out there I might have enjoyed if he brought them to my attention.

"Oh," gives begrudging list at end of episode, "I guess you might like these--they were to 'adequate' for me to shit on."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
geldonyetich said:
On second thought, lets do give it to the Call of Duty players. Maybe their being armless will slightly reduce the frequency of games in that formula being repeated or, at the very least, improve our international relations considerably.
If not, the reaction videos captured on their new Always-Online kinect 2.0s should be amusing.

Loved the fetch joke, Yahtzee!

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'm surprised that he didn't gripe on the crappy romance with the sniper, Anna.

Seriously, to me, it was like Russian Twilight, but whatever.

And I too, felt that the supernatural elements lost a crap-ton of meaning when they actually happened to be true and not ambiguous, ie: when Artyom was proceeding to Riga station both in the game and in the novel, it was never explained whether it was other-wordly powers that caused everyone to die/go insane, which built up the tension and made the Metro seem like a creepier place.

But in Last Light, and in 2033(the book) too, they decided to say "Oh, there ARE ghosts in the Metro, Artyom IS psychic", which killed the suspense and mystery somewhat.

I did like the lack of direction though, in some parts of the game; it evoked memories of Half-Life's level structure.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, glad to see that he likes it.

Also I'll just say this. Yeah it may be kinda reaching for the low fruit to have your enemies be Nazis, but Russia has the highest concentration of Neo-Nazis in Europe. I think in the book it's even established that they're descended from an IRL group.

Also Yahtzee, the fact that the rod connecting the wheels wheels was glowing bright red should've tipped you off. I mean it took me awhile to realize it too, but I still beat it on the first go.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I guess the "disregarding other cities" thing is just a result of the area around Moscow being so inhospitable that you have no realistic way of even checking what happened to the rest of the world. For all you know they could have turned Russia into a giant monster zoo while the rest of the world is fine and happy.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Barciad said:
themilo504 said:
The buses in Australia weren't so bad. The air con was a bit overdone. I think I ended up with pneumonia by the end of it. Public transport in the UK on the other hand, the less said about the better.
Public transport in the UK? I can summarise it very quickly: late, expensive, smells of toilet, lots of tourists and crazy people, very rude staff.

See, not much to discuss, it's just really terrible. At least when it was state owned it was terrible but free.

OT: I still need a job to pick up all the shiny new games suddenly coming out. Where were they in the run up to Xmas when I actually had money? Oh yeah, hiding from Call of Duty ¬_¬

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
geldonyetich said:

But yeah, Metro: Last Light. Played the first one, I thought it was more immersive than Half Life 2. From the sounds of Yahtzee's impressions, sure enough, it's the same game, maybe a little better. I'll probably wait until it hits $30, 'cuz the trouble with these games is I play them once, am riveted for about 15 hours, but them I'm done with it forever.
Mr. Q said:
geldonyetich said:
On second thought, lets do give it to the Call of Duty players. Maybe their being armless will slightly reduce the frequency of games in that formula being repeated, slightly.
I'm sure a few of the Spunkgargleweewee fans would suffer a nervous breakdown if not an aneurysm as well. Would certainly improve the gaming industry plus clean up the human gene pool a bit.
Aw, I enjoy Call of Duty... I have a lot of fun laying it...

Anyway, good to know this one's at least as good as the first. I'll be picking this up, then!

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
KDR_11k said:
For all you know they could have turned Russia into a giant monster zoo while the rest of the world is fine and happy.
I wanna read that book now :)

Jan 12, 2012
I thought that explanation of the final battle looked familiar...

Copper Zen said:
I have the same problem figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing in KOTOR II.

Funny how Yahtzee avoided giving the first game a review because it was good (albeit depressing). Since Bioshock he's focused on picking nits but I didn't think he deliberately avoided giving games reviews simply because they were good. It makes me wonder how many games out there I might have enjoyed if he brought them to my attention.

"Oh," gives begrudging list at end of episode, "I guess you might like these--they were to 'adequate' for me to shit on."
'Adequate' is exactly the reason he avoids reviewing some games. When a game is terrible, there's lots of fun tearing it apart; similarly, when it's excellent, he can praise it effusively while exploiting every tiny flaw. When the game is just ho-hum, middle of the road, suitable fare without being either very offensive or very engaging, then it gets hard to review. I'd rather he make quite funny videos about some games than kinda-funny videos about all games.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
KDR_11k said:
I guess the "disregarding other cities" thing is just a result of the area around Moscow being so inhospitable that you have no realistic way of even checking what happened to the rest of the world. For all you know they could have turned Russia into a giant monster zoo while the rest of the world is fine and happy.
In Metro 2033, you can hear several conversations talking about the metro system in St. Petersburg, and even about a small column of tanks who set up a little outpost in the wastes.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
One advice to people that are gonna play the game, put spoken language on Russian. It's improves the game, and makes it WAY more immersive.

I Actually stopped playing the first one (With spoke on English) because i couldn't get into it. When LL was going to be released, I decided to replay it but did put spoken on Russian this time. Loved every second of it.

I heard some youtube vids where it was on English. And it was just bad. Bad bad bad bad bad.

Seriously, Russian is the way to go.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
*Reads that last pun in the credits*

Oh Jesus, Yahtzee, do you need a holiday?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Barciad said:
themilo504 said:
I personally enjoy a bus every hour. With a 45min gap between connecting buses.

And if I want to visit my capital city by train, the train leaves Wales, runs for 3 hours in England, and then remembers its original destination and swerves back into Wales.

It's all engaging and not at all GOD BLOODY GRRR SNARL SNARL.

OT. Isn't it refreshing to have a shooter set in 'foreign land' with 'foreign friendlies'?