Zero Punctuation: Metro: Last Light

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
The train puns where funny as too was the Modern Warfare punchline at the end made me giggle

So what you are saying, this is a good game? Yes? Yes

-M

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
SinisterGehe said:
Tho admittedly Artyom gets in to pickle bit too easily at times. But still my favorite character in a videogame series in a LOOOONG FUCKING TIME!
ALso the stealthing is great fun. Tho I hated the bits where there was any kind of animal life against you, it was just batshit insane, creepy and unpleasant. I sprinted through them fast as I could.
I find it funny how Artyom can be so unlucky, but then quite lucky as well.

As for the beasties, I remember being able to stealth through quite a bit of it. A few are mandatory, but the option was sometimes there!

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
dvd_72 said:
SinisterGehe said:
Tho admittedly Artyom gets in to pickle bit too easily at times. But still my favorite character in a videogame series in a LOOOONG FUCKING TIME!
ALso the stealthing is great fun. Tho I hated the bits where there was any kind of animal life against you, it was just batshit insane, creepy and unpleasant. I sprinted through them fast as I could.
I find it funny how Artyom can be so unlucky, but then quite lucky as well.

As for the beasties, I remember being able to stealth through quite a bit of it. A few are mandatory, but the option was sometimes there!
Yeah I stealthed around and through them expect the mandatory attack scenarios and some side-tracks that I explored. Tho after the few first extra spider tunnels I decided to skip them all. I didn't want to do anything extra with the fauna. And yes the surface and catacombs had bits which you could stealth. But I was so afraid of getting the fauna to attack me that I just - did everything to sprint through them.

Yeah Artyom had some lucky bits. But I want to know - what the fuck Khan really is? Like, he knows and understands the metro and the "planes" of existence that exist in the new world. Like - He can't just be experienced and knowledgeable. I am not saying hes a living Deus ex machina.
I just want to know more about it.
Now the the ending ensured that the Artyom's tale won't be continued. I want to have a sidequel about Khan's past! The money couldn't exist my wallet fast enough for that.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
KDR_11k said:
I guess the "disregarding other cities" thing is just a result of the area around Moscow being so inhospitable that you have no realistic way of even checking what happened to the rest of the world. For all you know they could have turned Russia into a giant monster zoo while the rest of the world is fine and happy.
Actually in the books 2033 and 2034 they were mentioning that radio is unable to catch almost anything
Sometimes they can contact distant survivors, but it is either not for long or they are in "unknown" languages (unknown because people who knew other languages besides russian are either very old or dead)

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Moeez said:
geldonyetich said:
I'll probably wait until it hits $30, 'cuz the trouble with these games is I play them once, am riveted for about 15 hours, but them I'm done with it forever.
Is there anything wrong with that? Are we this cynical that 15 hours doesn't cut it for us? What's that magical game length for a $50 game? Games aren't meant to be long-time commitments, unless if they're MMOs. You had a great experience, that should be enough.
In a way, there is indeed something wrong with that: the wider scheme of Gamer entertainment dollar in a glutted gaming market.

Fact of the matter is, I'm up to my armpits in games to play already, a lot of these games I get for free, not because I pirate them (I don't pirate anything, and this makes me an eccentric freak amongst PC gamers) but because F2P with micro-payments is the model on many excellent games.

It's reached the point where I have set the bar at about a full hour of entertainment out of a game for every 50 cents to a dollar I spend on it. I'm actually giving Metro: Last Light double that, specifically because I anticipate a great experience, and it's still too expensive for 15 hours of play.

If you're in a position to be freer with your entertainment dollar than me, that's your prerogative. Sure, you could argue how could I possibly be shorting quality artists for their work like this but, dude, they're under some obligation to produce a viable competing product. I'm actually being somewhat generous to suggest I'd pay $30 for it, because I could just rent this on GameFly and be done with it in a couple days.

This is not even touching the Ranger Mode controversy which is making many people not want to pay for the game at all.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
ramboondiea said:
gamegod25 said:
What irked me the most about the game is the inclusion of what can only be called boss fights. The first game didn't have any and that was perfectly fine by me. Instead this time you get locked in an area and not allowed to leave until the monster is dead. This resulted in some controller throwing during one fight because I happened to be down to my last air filter and I kept suffocating before rather than dying to the actual boss. Oh and did I mention all the bosses take an entire armory of bullets to put down? And that this is is a game about scrounging and saving supplies so ammo is always scarce? And that one boss you have to fight twice in a row with only a short tunnel between arenas and barely any supply pickups? So...yeah :/

The atmosphere and detail to the world is absolutely fantastic, the core gameplay is still solid and fun, but it gets bogged down by issues like that mentioned above. Give it a rent at the very least ^^

you sure the first game didnt have boss fights? really? i seem to remember the tank section, arguably the black librarians, the nuclear ooze monster. gameplay wise this game is basically the same, but with a little bit more linearity in terms of completing the areas.
Yes but at least in 2033 they had some variety and a more natural part of the game. In Last Light the boss fights felt very transparent and dull because most of them were arena fights against bullet sponges. It just felt lazy and shoved in because they needed to pad the game.

nitrium oxide

Jun 10, 2011
I'm finding Metro Last Light far too linear. It is almost exactly STALKER crossed with Call of Duty, i.e. the atmosphere/setting of STALKER but with the on rails linearity of CoD. Definitely prefer the STALKER sandbox approach to this type of game.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
The writer of that novel has also written for both games.
He recently said that computer game stories were all shit and, for writing a story, you should call the real authors.
He's wrong, because there are good computer game stories available - Valve - but I know exactly what he means:
Compared to a CoD backstory his own work must seem Pulitzer-worthy to him.
Only then to get all on his high-horse about it seems very un-humble, unsympathetic even.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
themilo504 said:
Personally I kind of like public transport, does anybody know if public transport is better in the Netherlands compared Australia?
Public transport in Sydney Australia is actually quite good, they've almost finished phasing out the old trains and only have air conditioned trains, most of them are modern ones (Millenium/OSCAR/Warratah classes). Having said that there is room for improvement as far as how crowded it can get during peak hour, then again that's probably public transport everywhere.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
themilo504 said:
Personally I kind of like public transport, does anybody know if public transport is better in the Netherlands compared Australia?
I live in Japan. Public transport is absolutely amazing.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
I have played both games, and Last Light is very much a follow in footstep of the first. But much better at walking. Its fantastic. Though, I wouldnt mind seeing a Multiplayer being added on. The shooting is solid enough, and the guns attachments could give a little customization. It would prolong the life of it a little. That aside, Im looking forward to the guaranteed Single player DLC they are planning on.

sharada

Jul 8, 2010
I love that Yahtzee included those russian bits, it's a nice touch. Although, google translate is not always correct. In the last bit it would have made more sense to say "Всем всё равно" instead of "Никто не заботится". It doesn't sound quite right to a native speaker as that particular expression holds a slightly different connotation in russian then it does in english.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
erttheking said:
karamazovnew said:
Why Nazis? Because in reality Russia has the highest concentration of Neo-Nazis in Europe. In the book it's even mentioned that they descended from an IRL group.
I did not expect that... I was expecting neo-communists, but not neo-nazis. Do they know that the old Nazis used to see them as sub-human and not worth the bullet cost? I will actually look more into this, thanks for the news ;)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think Yahtzee needs to turn down the gain on his mic a bit, things got a bit loud in this one.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I say we give it all the modren warfare players if they all chew their arms off then no one will be able to play those shitty games thus that series will cese to exist >:D

Knife

Mar 20, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
And I too, felt that the supernatural elements lost a crap-ton of meaning when they actually happened to be true and not ambiguous, ie: when Artyom was proceeding to Riga station both in the game and in the novel, it was never explained whether it was other-wordly powers that caused everyone to die/go insane, which built up the tension and made the Metro seem like a creepier place.
My memory is a bit foggy so I could be wrong, but from what I remember the book stated that there was a gas leak in that section of the metro, which caused depression, hallucinations and with prolonged exposure - death (ofcourse the characters don't know that and the readers only find out after its finished).
Akichi Daikashima said:
But in Last Light, and in 2033(the book) too, they decided to say "Oh, there ARE ghosts in the Metro, Artyom IS psychic", which killed the suspense and mystery somewhat.
I'm pretty sure (at least as far as the book goes) its not Artyom who is psychic, its the monsters communicating with him who are psychic. Except they don't control their psychic abilities very well and instead of saying "Hello we come in peace everybody" they make everybody panic.
Similar to how professor X from X-men is psychic but not everyone with whom he speaks telepathically is a psychic (which is a close comparison, since from what I gather those "monsters" are just humans who mutated on the surface).

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
And not a single mention of all the boobs? You disappoint me Yahtzee...

OT- Just beat it today. Really solid game, but a little short.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I think this thread really went *puts on sunglasses* off the rails. [http://cow.org/csi/]

Anyway, like I stated in a earlier comment: real boring games don't excite me, or the world is so huge (like in Fallout 3) then it's worth the time running around in such games. But from what I understand is more of a rail shooter (rail, LOL). So I won't be spending time on a game like this. Maybe next time the developers should ask if they could license the Bethesda Creation Engine?

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Has anyone mentioned that the Moscow metro system was built specifically to double as a nuclear bomb shelter? It would make sense as a setting. They probably have already.