Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Special episode? Im intrested.
Anyway, the game sounds horrible.

[sub]Just thought il put this here, since its Yahtzee related, but has anyone else viewed the "youtube" link referenced in Mogworld. I was expecting something alot more intresting. Still, nice bit of humour there.[/sub]

Humppaporo

Apr 4, 2009
I wuw you yathzee <3 besides that great review once again. Looks like I dont have to get that game. I didn't even like metroid prime that much.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I have an idea about the possibility of Samus' voice if it is as lifeless as you say. Maybe that's how they wanted her to sound. She's spent years of her life slaughtering pirates and monsters, her parents were killed when she was a little girl. Wouldn't it make sense that she's an emotionally detached person with no social skills? Now, granted, this is coming from someone that has yet to play the game, so maybe it's just that the dialog clashes with her voice, but it would be an interesting take if Samus was a sociopathic bounty-hunter, and that was actually part of her character instead of painting it as alright because she saves the day.

Good critique BTW. I really found it funny.

Ender Wiggin

Mar 26, 2009
I thought that the 'mystery' thing was resolved - at one point you come across a dead marine, I think in the secret metroidy bit, and say their name. I assumed that they were the traitor.

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Nice episode. I myself enjoyed Other M, but really, it's not without some obvious glaring flaws. I think Yahtzee exaggerated on a lot of points, but really, that's just what he does.
I have to say that the traitor mystery is actually solved pretty clearly, though. They never outright say who it exactly was, but if you think about a few things it's pretty damn clear.

Demolitions Guy is killed by Ridley, French Guy is killed by the traitor, Adam sacrifices himself, MANthony Higgs is too big to be the traitor and we see the traitor throw someone in the lava. Considering that you find Evil Moustache Guy's corpse but not Asian Guy's, it has to be Evil Moustache Guy.

Anyhoo, Other M is really the most divisive game in the series. Some people hate it, some love it. I think everyone should just try it and form their own opinion.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Pandora92 said:
You just summed up exactly why I'm steering well clear of the game, Samus always just worked as a silent protagonist in the same way that Gordan Freeman does, giving her a voice was dodgy enough without doing it in such a plain and overdone way with a boring stereotypical story. :|
She's had a voice before, and in fact shared the voice actress with FemShep of Mass Effect...Jennifer Hale.

Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
So the best way to enjoy a game that's trying not to be an FPS is to play an FPS? Huh.

When was Samus established to have a "bold, independent spirit"? I don't remember that being mentioned at all in any of the games other than the fact that you, the player, are controlling her and she's completely alone. She blindly followed our orders even if it meant smacking into a wall repeatedly when our phones rang or falling into an acid pit when we mis-judged a jump she probably could have handled were she in control of her own body.

This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].

Funny? Yes. Accurate? No idea. I'm too poor to own a Wii. But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.
Pretty much; a silent protagonist doesn't HAVE a personality so "bold independent spirit" for Samus is like saying Gordon Freeman "is an obsessive compulsive woman-hating crisp eater with a Boston accent".

Also, may I kindly ask that the game's supporters NOT turn this into another slug fest? You're better than that and we don't need the flames fanned again. It's times like this where Yahtzee is used in the worst way possible: to make detractors feel better about not liking a big name title. Then again Yahtzee's relationship with Nintendo has always been a bit predictable.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Metroid Other M

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Metroid Other M.

Watch Video
Another great video by Yahtzee. I really hope you are going to get to Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions in a future video. Spider-Man 2 was my favorite too and I'm hoping we get to hear your thoughts on the latest Spidey game.

luckey

Apr 15, 2009
sorry yahtzee, bob's argument makes more sense to me in this case then your does, so it looks like i'm gonna get this one
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Its going to take more than Samus' bum to get me to buy this game, damn fine job Yahtzee, like always.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Hubilub said:
Oh my. Could this be one of the few times where people don't comment before watching the video?

IT'S A MIRACLE!

EDIT: "And it's a lot smaller and more linear than, say, Metroid Fusion"

I see what you did there
I do not. I remember metroid fusion being a 2d sidescroller for the gba but I don't get the joke.

OT moreso: He didn't review reach so I can only imagine he was dumbstruck by how good it was. (in joke). I bet his review of reach will be something I don't agree with (I like reach) but still ind hilariuos

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
We seem to have accidentally discovered another game he likes. Not this of course, but Prime, that brongs the total up to what now, 4 games?

TheLegendOfFagballs

Sep 22, 2010
The Deleter subplot is meant to be figured out, and there are clues that you can put together. But yes, the only one you really need is the evil mustache. It is weird that all the characters just sort of forget about it, though. Actually no, it's not, they're stupid.

Team Ninja didn't touch the story. Apparently Sakamoto, the guy who co-created the franchise and headed this game, had this in mind all along, and only now decided to go all out with it in a game (you can see more of melodramatic Samus in a Metroid manga from like ten years ago). Oh well, I've become accustomed to prequels ruining my childhood by now.

I liked the game. For all its warts (and there were many), it was fun.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Super special awesome episode on Friday? I am intrigued. Unless it's the Yahtzee Croshaw equivalent of the ring, and watching it will result in the death of all of us.

Schlagwerk

Nov 5, 2009
Called it since the trailer. Perhaps Team Ninja should have actually played Metroid Prime 1; maybe then they would figure why it was a good game.

Danial said:
We seem to have accidentally discovered another game he likes. Not this of course, but Prime, that brongs the total up to what now, 4 games?
He's been saying he liked MP1 for a while now.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
In all honesty, considering how polarizing the game has been, I'm not surprised. I personally wasn't bothered by the control issues Yahtzee brought up, but the game was still more linear than I'd like, and the storyline's got plenty of issues, regardless of how you look at it. But I think Nintendo should be congratulated on taking so many risks, even though not all of them worked. Sakamoto has outright said he's listening to criticism and I hope this means that a second game will be better because of it.

For the record, I do hope every Metroid fan at least tries Other M, even if it's nothing more than a rental. It is definitely one of the most unique games you'll play all year, for better or for worse.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Oh yeah, I mind that both sides of the Metroid spectrum had quite a flame war when Other M hit the streets. Some say it's alright, others consider an abomination. A love or hate it type.

I'll praise the graphics and little on the gameplay but everything else went to the dogs by the cutscenes, Samus's monotone monologues, and the ridiculous timing on certain events. (Varia Suit in a lava room till you run low on health anyone?)

If you must know, Yoshino Sakamoto implemented the storyline on Fusion and Zero Mission. He was the director of Other M.

I'm glad that Spoony and Sean Malstrom hated other M. And like Spoony said, I don't think Metroid series will survive after this.