Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day
There is. And it comes to us from none other than MovieBob.

I give you the Game OverThinker [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].
Well, a lot of us have pretty much established that Bob missed the point completely.

People aren't mad about GIVING her a personality.

They're mad about giving her a SHITTY personality.

Also, the Strawman bit was terrible.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
esperandote said:
"Check out my screw attack"?.... I didn't get it but i think it was a shot to the guys on gametrailers.
It's not on slam on anyone. I got the joke and it's pretty much trademark Yahtzee.

Boaal

Dec 30, 2008
That spaceship early on came from a development screenshot of an open source game called Vegastrike, I'm amazed it ended up in a yahtzee review. That's pretty cool. If anyone's interested, the thread is here:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15345

Yes: it starts off looking nothing like that, i know. But check out somewhere around page 10 or onwards, and you'll see what I mean. Nice going.

Also: To the comment about Nintendo making the same game over and over again: while I won't say you aren't right, you make it sounds as though the exact same thing hasn't been done with Sonic, Final Fantasy, Halo, and a whole fuck load of other games throughout ever different system over the ages, do you really think it's that stable a criticism?

It seems that this whole game got fucked over by the fact that is was allowed to be done by the guys who bought you "Oh, jiggle physics, I bet the pathetic worms who live in their mothers basement and wank to anime every five fucking seconds, will lap this shit up!", rather than a competent developer, or maybe just one who's ethos doesn't begin and end with "OH TITS LOL!".

Ulixes Dimon

Jul 25, 2010
Team Ninja should NEVER be allowed to play with a good ip. The metroid prime series was fine. The reason Corruption didn't do as well is because they half assed it, dropped the difficulty, shortened it, and dropped out many of the puzzles.

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
Boaal said:
Also: To the comment about Nintendo making the same game over and over again: while I won't say you aren't right, you make it sounds as though the exact same thing hasn't been done with Sonic, Final Fantasy, Halo, and a whole fuck load of other games throughout ever different system over the ages, do you really think it's that stable a criticism?
Also, this game is ANYTHING but "the same game again and again". It's so different that if you'd slap another name and new characters, it'd be closer to "inspired by Metroid".

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. I'm curious as to the nature of this special friday ZP.

Maybe he's announcing his retirement or something.

warps

Jun 10, 2009
I disagree with most of the gameplay complaints, but I found the review very funny anyway. I enjoyed your "robot voice" impression.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Wow, it is nice to see you complain about a game I have played and was very frustrated about. Seriously, all of your points struck me throughout the game.

Also, I think it was a bit stupid that whenever you died (and her armour fell off), Adam would go "Samus, what's going on? Respond! Respoooond!" as if they on purpose tried to rip off "Snake, snake snaaaake"

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Jark said:
Any ideas as to what the "Special Episode" mentioned at the very end will be centered around?
Yahtzee's review of Mogworld? Maybe the grand unveiling of Fun Space Game: The Game?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Nice to see Zero Punctuation shit all over Other M's hiderous story and voice acting. I mean everyone else on the interenet has done so already but I honestly can't get enough of it.

Give it back to Retro, they know what they're doing.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
BigText said:
The murder-mystery subplot WAS resolved. You come across the guy wearing the glasses after he's been killed by a metroid, and since he was the last guy remaining, he was the traitor. That doesn't really matter, though, because none of the characters except for Adam and Anthony even REMOTELY mattered.

I had fun playing the game, but I do pretend that this was just some idiot's fantasy. The game destroyed Samus as a character, making her some weak-willed pathetic little girl. That, and why would Nightmare be on this ship AND the one in Metroid: Fusion? Lastly, the fact that the Galactic Federation was creating metroids in Metroid: Fusion was a huge plot point. If they were making metroids on the bottle ship, AND on the ship in Metroid: Fusion, then how many more metroids are on how many more ships?
I'm guessing Yatzee - like me, forgot the name of every character except Anthony and Adam and thus did not bother to keep up with who was killed off along the way. Seriously, my response when I saw one dead was always "hey, one of those guys I don't care about was killed. Whatever!"

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
she was a strong independent woman since she was like the first woman in gaming that really kicked ass and chewed bubble gum along side the myriad of male characters, and in the course of one game they managed to destroy all of her cool factor. does not matter if your mind filled in the blanks, when the first metroid dropped, there were not many lead female characters period.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
That was one of the funniest videos in a while. I was thinking of buying Other M because I loved Metroid Prime, but then I remembered that I've hated every other game Team Ninja has ever made and thought better of it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WHAT? SAMUS IS A GIRL??????

okay, mandatory sarcasm over. They had to call it Metroid because the name is what sells the franchise. Even if the game's not as deep, the controls aren't as good, or the charatcers aren't as sensible, they can go "pssst...It's METROID!" And fanboys will line up by the thousands.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day
There is. And it comes to us from none other than MovieBob.

I give you the Game OverThinker [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].
Bob is a NINENDO WHORE! I'll be about as eager to trust his words on a nintendo game as I would be to trust the X-Box Republic's opinions on a PS3 game. And I don't give a damn if the man constantly claims he is not a fanboy, his actions and words all dictate otherwise.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Heh, pretty good... and though I usually take Yahtzee's reviews with a grain of salt, this just helps me justify not wasting $60 on Other M.

Also nice to hear praise for Prime, I've always wanted to know how he felt. ... Granted, this could just mean it doesn't suck as much as Other M, but I'm optimistic like that.