Zero Punctuation: Metroid Other M

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Flamma Man said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day
There is. And it comes to us from none other than MovieBob.

I give you the Game OverThinker [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].
Well, a lot of us have pretty much established that Bob missed the point completely.

People aren't mad about GIVING her a personality.

They're made about giving her a SHITTY personality.

Also, the Strawman bit was terrible.
I think Bob's point was that a lot of people might not be thinking of it as a "shitty personality" if they hadn't already been so determined to assign their own projected personality to her.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why they didn't use Hale, I'll never understand.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was her call, not the call of the people making the game. I'm guessing she smelled something she didn't like and decided not to get her name attached to the project.

VGFreak1225 said:
For the record, I do hope every Metroid fan at least tries Other M, even if it's nothing more than a rental. It is definitely one of the most unique games you'll play all year, for better or for worse.
Not gunna happen. I have far better things to do with my time and money than to give a try to a game sports 0 appeal to me beyond the franchise it's attached to.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
SpaceMedarotterX said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:
I was really hoping that the "Check out my screw attack" comment wasn't just a reference to Metroid. I was sincerely hoping there was something at screwattack. Sad day

I give you the Game OverThinker [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].
Bob is a NINENDO WHORE! I'll be about as eager to trust his words on a nintendo game as I would be to trust the X-Box Republic's opinions on a PS3 game. And I don't give a damn if the man constantly claims he is not a fanboy, his actions and words all dictate otherwise.
Rule #1 of The Escapist: Anyone who likes anything I don't like is a fanboy.

scoopsss

Mar 17, 2010
I wonder what's he going to show on Friday. Maybe another googly eyes underwear dance, I would sure fap I mean fancy that!

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Hah, fucking called it! I knew Yahtzee would see this game for the fetid piece of shit that it is.

If you want to give a formerly silent protagonist a voice, that's fine. If you want to give them a personality, even better. But when you give them the voice of a person with a golf club sticking through their head and the personality of some brooding, codependant ****, don't hide behind the shield of 'but they never had a personality before!' because that doesn't stop those decisions from being stupid.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Sylocat said:
I think Bob's point was that a lot of people might not be thinking of it as a "shitty personality" if they hadn't already been so determined to assign their own projected personality to her.
No, it isn't, it's a shit personality helped along with poor voice acting and bad writing.

Anyway you put it, it's not good.

No one want to listen to someone go on and on about Adam or the Metroid or what's CLEARLY going on despite her forced exposition of something we already clearly know.

Her personality was crap and forgettable.

Sylocat said:
Rule #1 of The Escapist: Anyone who likes anything I don't like is a fanboy.
No, really, just watch all his videos, he NEVER criticizes Nintendo and the Sony video just pushes it.

Hell he's joked about it once or twice.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well, Metroid just got pwnd. Looked like shit from all the previews I had seen. Yep, it is shit!

Although, I guess I wouldn't mind staring at Samus Aran's ass... oh, wait, it's on the Wii. Nevermind. Maybe they'll make a PS3 Move port so I can tell what's what ;)

CronoT

May 15, 2010
You know, I was afraid that this was going to be another "The Wii is inferior and must be eradicated!" Video Games Eugenics hated-filled video from Yahtzee. But, I was impressed that the points that Yahtzee brought up were valid, and he didn't really stray too far from the point of reviewing the game, instead of continuing his personal crusade to eradicate the Wii.

Good show, Yahtzee; good show.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Snake Plissken said:

Actually, I was disappointed by MovieBob's response to defend Other M. Pretty much the manga took the series into the opposite direction. Certainly can't argue against that.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
But I find myself kinda confused by all of the hatred. Maybe it's just me.
I was, too. But then I watched the cutscenes on YouTube. Pro tip: they are some of the worst I've ever seen.

OT: Yeah, I knew he wouldn't like it. I still would try it if I owned a Wii but I don't.

Not particularly surprising but nonetheless great review.

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
This sounds so much like so many other arguments against Other M I'm wondering if Yahtzee either got bored with the ZP enterprise now that his novel's out or has just been too busy to form salient points that he's cribbed notes from other sources. Not that I myself would ever do such a thing [http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/09/episode-40-heavens-to-metroid.html].
I tuned out when he called it a first person shooter when Nintendo classified the game as a first person adventure. Personally I don't care too much about the orders being given for power ups to be unlocked as that's essentially what happens anyway in the other games when you just happen to find them along the way (if you're not trying to sequence break the game). What bothers me however is that people will defend it because it "makes more sense" than way, as he did in that video. I despise realism in my video games, or rather, despise it in science fiction/video games.

Great episode. Was hoping Yahtzee would rip apart the characterization as well. Also, the screw attack thing is a reference to the actual attack in the game by the very same name, just imagine it in a sexual tone.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
I think Team Ninja should gets some props for that smooth-as-silk if repetetive and mostly unchanging 3rd person combat system. And I think the whole 'giving Samus a voice' thing was not Ninja's fault (I mean, since when did they feel like females in games needed personality?). Instead, the blame, I reckon, should fall sqaurely on the shoulders of the man who has been there since the beginning. He who oversaw every Metroid game oustide of the Primes.

Sakamoto.

It was he who expressed his aim to give Samus more personality, make the story more involved, and generally give the material for this week's ZP vid.

The game would have probably been better if Team Ninja were left to it, but the collaborative effort left the game seeming confused, as though it wants to be Metroid Gaiden between cutscenes and a boring space soap opera in the cutscenes.

soultwister

Nov 26, 2009
The ninja retards couldn't even give the game a proper title, WTF, Metroid came from NES to SNES, TRANSITIONED INTO 3D SO FLAWLESSLY, then Samus got humiliated by being played on the most anti-gamer system ever, and now this. FUCK ME.

BTW
se7ensenses said:
Nintendo- making the same game over & over & over since 1985. The broken record of the gaming industry.
Send condolences to this guy's family, he just died to being-full-of-shit-itus.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i'm not going to watch it until i've played the game. knowing his reviews there will be spoilers but as i want to get Other M i don't want plot points given away

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Holy shit no one has been put on probation for commenting before watching the video O_O i guess there is a first time for everything, don't give up Yahtzee you may come to like a game yet.

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
oh man, Movie Bob is not gonna like this. On his Game Overthinker blog he pretty much cummed buckets over this game.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
team star pug said:
Hubilub said:
Oh my. Could this be one of the few times where people don't comment before watching the video?

IT'S A MIRACLE!

EDIT: "And it's a lot smaller and more linear than, say, Metroid Fusion"

I see what you did there
I do not. I remember metroid fusion being a 2d sidescroller for the gba but I don't get the joke.

OT moreso: He didn't review reach so I can only imagine he was dumbstruck by how good it was. (in joke). I bet his review of reach will be something I don't agree with (I like reach) but still ind hilariuos
Metroid Fusion was, at least before Other M came out, the most linear Metroid game.

Slaingod

Apr 22, 2009
You know, I kind of thought this game might actually be good. Thank God for Yahtzee, he saved me $50 and hours of misery. I will miss all the butt shots though. I guess I'll need to hit a strip show on the way home. Excellent video as always, Yahtzee!!