Zero Punctuation: Metroid Prime Federation Force

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I guess Metroid fans can always just play the Prime trilogy again.

If this game doesn't sell, Nintendo will probably take that as a sign that no one wants Metroid games, and if the game sells they'll take that to mean they want more Metroid games where you don't play as Samus. Either way looks bad for the fans.

I guess Nintendo could take a closer look at criticisms of the game's direction and listen to pleas from fans asking for more regular Metroid games.
However, I should warn those waiting for that that while it is "safe" to hold your breath until that day comes, but make sure you're in a safe place to pass out.

Anyway, thanks for the show. =w= b

Jan 27, 2011
So, in others words, replay Metroid Prime 1 or 2 instead (Just started playing Prime 2, actually, friend lent it to me), or just track down AM2R (the fan remake of Metroid 2 that I can confirm is actually pretty damn good) and play that instead of buying Federation Farce. Gotcha.

Seriously, Nintendo, stop mistreating Metroid please? I know you guys want more original ideas instead of straight up sequels, mario style, but this is terrible.

Give us a sequel to Fusion, with Samus on the run from the federation, trying to deal with her new Metroid DNA corrupting her, and with perhaps temporary powerups to your beam gained by draining enemies of energy like an actual Metroid as she explores a derelict research station, hovering around a deadly planet, and maybe with a prison break sequence to start things off. And with Samus taking the piss out of her ship's AI, making fun of how shitty "Adam" was in Other M. like, I dunno, "Scans indicate some parts of this zone are exceedingly cold. Your Varia module is currently compromised. Be cautious" "At least this time you aren't forgetting to authorize me to use it, Adam. I mean, seriously." "Will you EVER let me live that down, Samus?" "Should I?".

Like, 2D or 3D or 2D with Smash Bros 3D graphics, I don't care. Just give us something that actually stays true to the spirit of the Metroid series. Hell, even the DS metroid game was alright, as long as you forgive some of the shitty instant-death platforming bits.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
aegix drakan said:
And with Samus taking the piss out of her ship's AI, making fun of how shitty "Adam" was in Other M. like, I dunno, "Scans indicate some parts of this zone are exceedingly cold. Your Varia module is currently compromised. Be cautious" "At least this time you aren't forgetting to authorize me to use it, Adam. I mean, seriously." "Will you EVER let me live that down, Samus?" "Should I?".
Adam will never live that down.
Cause he's F@#king dead! >xD

The one good thing about that terrible story.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Yes thank you Yahtzee for shitting all over this terrible excuse for a Metroid game, another bad thing about this game is the graphics look horribly outdated, seriously they look like they could've been on the regular DS(Metroid Prime Hunters looked better)

On a side note, next week Yahtzee is going to be on the Co Optional Podcast with Total Biscuit, cannot fucking wait for that.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Regarding games that do not contain the usual protagonist:

How was Half Life: Opposing Force and Blue Shift received?

darkrage6 said:
On a side note, next week Yahtzee is going to be on the Co Optional Podcast with Total Biscuit,[..]
Thanks for the heads up!

Jan 27, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
aegix drakan said:
And with Samus taking the piss out of her ship's AI, making fun of how shitty "Adam" was in Other M. like, I dunno, "Scans indicate some parts of this zone are exceedingly cold. Your Varia module is currently compromised. Be cautious" "At least this time you aren't forgetting to authorize me to use it, Adam. I mean, seriously." "Will you EVER let me live that down, Samus?" "Should I?".
Adam will never live that down.
Cause he's F@#king dead! >xD

The one good thing about that terrible story.
Ummm....

Adam's mind was preserved as an AI template for military applications, and is actually the AI commanding officer on her ship for the duration of Metroid fusion.

Which actually makes Other M an even BIGGER kick in the nads (Fusion was made first, but Other M is a prequel). In Fusion, Samus tells us how Adam was the only person to call her lady and make it sound "dignified" instead of sarcastic and how "Any Objections, Lady?" was more a form of trust between them rather than actually asking for objections. Also, he was smart, taking Samus's reckless last-second plan, pointing out the flaw in it, and then going "Actually, there's a much safer way to do it, which ALSO ensures 100% success instead of just a partial one".

...And then Other M makes Samus have daddy issues with him, makes him calling her "lady" be almost a joke, makes the "Any objections, lady" into even more of a joke, has him and the rest of the squad treat her with kids gloves instead of the respect Fusion says she got, and makes Adam an idiot who waits until after Samus is THROUGH the fire area before going "ok, NOW activate Varia mode". ...Not to mention it turning Samus from a reckless one-woman-army into an emotional but barely emotive idiot who turns OFF her varia suit despite it not posing any threat to the station, and not ASKING for it to be authorized again when entering a hot area.

...Sorry about the blahblahblah. Fusion was my first game in the series, getting me into the rest of them, and seeing it get stomped on by Other M (which also nullified Prime 1, my favourite in the series) just really really irritated me. >_>

Enzbe

Sep 16, 2014
Beardy, bald, hopeless Nintendo Fanboy with glasses, wearing a Mario shirt? I see what you did there, Yahtzee and I like it.

Any chance he's going to play the Attack on Titan game? He would shit on EVERYTHING but he might enjoy the movement somewhat.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
darkrage6 said:
Yes thank you Yahtzee for shitting all over this terrible excuse for a Metroid game, another bad thing about this game is the graphics look horribly outdated, seriously they look like they could've been on the regular DS(Metroid Prime Hunters looked better)

On a side note, next week Yahtzee is going to be on the Co Optional Podcast with Total Biscuit, cannot fucking wait for that.
'Bout damn time those two did something together; I'm legitimately surprise the Escapist hasn't snatched Mr. Bain up by now, although it's very possible that Jim Sterling has warned him not to have anything to do with them.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I was one of the few people who actually kinda had hopes for this game. cuz it looked a bit like a sci-fi monster hunter type deal. Then here comes captain Yahtzee to tell me that the best thing about the game is the dumb football thing that I was going to ignore completely is the best part.

Oh well. Maybe next time Adam will authorize a good game. You know, in the next thirty years.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Bedinsis said:

Blue Shift was a console exclusive alternate story for the Dreamcast version of Half-Life, and that was cancelled a month from release. So, how do you think it was received?

Also, I'm not sure about everyone else, but I've just given up on Nintendo. Half-way through last year, it seems like the company has been very insistent about making sure their customers feel like their money is better spent elsewhere.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Seriously, which moron decided that quality 2d metroid games had to die with the gba and that metroid hunters of all things was the new gold standard for portable metroid games?
Fusion was great, zero mission was great. Nintendo had a great thing going. What's the deal?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
You mean...the thing that metroid and nintendo fans alike said looked like an absolute shit game wearing the metroid franchise name turned out to be an absolute shit game wearing the metroid franchise name? Nah, Nintendo knows what the fans want! I mean look at the Wii-U, What? *incoherent whispering* oh right...*ahem* I mean look at the Nintendo NX! The thing you know nothing about!

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Transdude1996 said:
Bedinsis said:

Blue Shift was a console exclusive alternate story for the Dreamcast version of Half-Life, and that was cancelled a month from release. So, how do you think it was received?
Um... It was definitely finished, and it's on Steam right now.

Can someone explain to me how Other M makes the Prime games non-canon? That doesn't make any sense at all.

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
Transdude1996 said:
Bedinsis said:

Also, I'm not sure about everyone else, but I've just given up on Nintendo. Half-way through last year, it seems like the company has been very insistent about making sure their customers feel like their money is better spent elsewhere.
Actually, it was eventually ported to PC. Going by reviews, Opposing Force is regarded as pretty good, and Blue Shift is seen as good enough.