Zero Punctuation: Metroid: Samus Returns

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What I'm getting from this is that AM2R is a better remake than Samus Returns. However I won't know for sure until I get the chance to try it myself.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Didn?t know that Metroid 2 was for the GameCube. XP

I quite enjoyed the game myself, clocked in a little over 11 hours with 100% completion. Though I wish hard mode isn?t just ?enemies do more damage?.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
A paradox: in high school, I got more noticed for trying to NOT be noticeable.
I'm a little surprised he liked it, because yeah, Metroid-vania, but I'm disappointed in Nintendo for being so lazy in their subtitling.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I can't help but laugh a little whenever I remember Yahtzee got (and by that I mean was forced to get) a 3DS day one and made a full review of it, yet in the Gravity Rush re-release on PS4 last year, he revealed he never got a PSVita nor he intends to. That was the prophetic sign of things to come in the pure handheld space.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Darth_Payn said:
I'm a little surprised he liked it, because yeah, Metroid-vania (...)
Hm? Isn't he big on Metroidvanias? I believe the original SotN was one of his favorite games and a significant degree of Mv-ness is why he came around to liking the Souls games so much.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Allan Foe said:
Darth_Payn said:
I'm a little surprised he liked it, because yeah, Metroid-vania (...)
Hm? Isn't he big on Metroidvanias? I believe the original SotN was one of his favorite games and a significant degree of Mv-ness is why he came around to liking the Souls games so much.
He stated in his Axiom Verge review that he prefers Vania to Metroid when it comes to Metroid-vania.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
A paradox: in high school, I got more noticed for trying to NOT be noticeable.
I'm a little surprised he liked it, because yeah, Metroid-vania, but I'm disappointed in Nintendo for being so lazy in their subtitling.
But he's into that. He's always praising the Souls games for being Metroidvania. He's a big fan of the PS1 Castlevania, I forget the name. And he liked the Fusion (or Prime?) Metroids too I think.

Anggul

Jun 10, 2009
Fucken fun and intense boss fights though, after the basic alpha and beta metroids anyway.

I very much enjoyed it, but yeah it really should have been more inter-connected. I thought there were ample opportunities to do so.

No dice on the flashing yellow 'have to be shot with rapid-fire' thing though Yahtzee. As soon as I realised they were flashing yellow when hit and not red, I figured they had to be hit faster to break the guard. Maybe I'm just that conditioned to such cues though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Canadamus Prime said:
What I'm getting from this is that AM2R is a better remake than Samus Returns. However I won't know for sure until I get the chance to try it myself.
It is better. Fans of the series made it true to form, added challenging extras, and without hackneyed 'features' as below.

OT: Well, Yahtzee, you said it was an alien world with a list of Metroid on it to hunt and kill. That is pretty much the game. Hunting, killing, and exploring. In that one line, you basically summed it up, so it's a remake alright.

However...

Not in any Metroid game I've played (all the 2D ones) do I recall a case of having to change around your gun that much for your enemies. I mean, Metroids are weak to ice and being blown up. Everyone knows that. And just about everything else is either affected by {A} your gun, {B} your missles, {C} your bombs, or {D} all of the above.

It may be because of a limitation of space in games for the functionality of weapons and all, but your gun is just suppose to get progressively stronger and more useful with its various settings, not get used on a bullshit rotation of settings because the Borg adapted to our phasers again.[footnote]This is not to say the X Parasites from Metroid Fusion were a bad design. That one is actually my favorite of the series, and I think they handled it well.[/footnote]

I have no idea if it's like this in the 3D games (Somebody who's played them, let me know please.), but the controls are suppose to be fairly straightforward. A single button for lasers, easy-switch to missles, change to Morph Ball to drop bombs. At the end of it, your gun should be owning everything and your missles should be highly devastating.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Canadamus Prime said:
It is better. Fans of the series made it true to form, added challenging extras, and without hackneyed 'features' as below.

OT: Well, Yahtzee, you said it was an alien world with a list of Metroid on it to hunt and kill. That is pretty much the game. Hunting, killing, and exploring. In that one line, you basically summed it up, so it's a remake alright.

However...

Not in any Metroid game I've played (all the 2D ones) do I recall a case of having to change around your gun that much for your enemies. I mean, Metroids are weak to ice and being blown up. Everyone knows that. And just about everything else is either affected by {A} your gun, {B} your missles, {C} your bombs, or {D} all of the above.

It may be because of a limitation of space in games for the functionality of weapons and all, but your gun is just suppose to get progressively stronger and more useful with its various settings, not get used on a bullshit rotation of settings because the Borg adapted to our phasers again.[footnote]This is not to say the X Parasites from Metroid Fusion were a bad design. That one is actually my favorite of the series, and I think they handled it well.[/footnote]

I have no idea if it's like this in the 3D games (Somebody who's played them, let me know please.), but the controls are suppose to be fairly straightforward. A single button for lasers, easy-switch to missles, change to Morph Ball to drop bombs. At the end of it, your gun should be owning everything and your missles should be highly devastating.
Well in the Metroid Prime games you could rotate between beam weapons and there were enemies who were only vulnerable to certain ones, but it wasn't nearly as much of a pain in the ass (at least in 1 & 2 anyway) as you make this sound.
Yes I've played AM2R and it was very well made and a spectacular game. It's kind of remake Nintendo SHOULD have made themselves.

carewolf

Jan 10, 2015
Why have all the videos been replaced with an ad for The Escapist, there is even an ad before the ad.

WHERE IS THE CONTENTS?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
He beat Breath of the Wild? I am in awe!

Can't imagine this game is memorable in more than T minus 1, 2, 3 gone.

Cmon Nintendo! We need another Eternal Darkness!