Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

severonic

Sep 25, 2008
Wow, I really disagree. The game has it's issues for sure and the story is amongst the top of them (I can't believe you didn't slam on the cartoon segments!). I never once found myself running off a building? I also never had problems navigating and climbing up anything in the game. I feel that's one of the few things they got right. I can't wait for a sequel, because this was something unique and I found, ultimately fun.

Fail.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
I had no intention of getting this game to begin with, because, for some reason I forsaw most of the problems so mentioned within (mostly the "where the fuck is the next platform, I can't see it" problem) but to have my concerns varified is confidence boosting.

Strangely I went back to Yatzhee's old Eve Online review because a friend keeps hounding me to play the thing, and then watching the advertisement vid play right after the negative review adds a bit of ironic funny to the whole thing that only seems to deepen my laughs.

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
I liked the original concept of Mirror's Edge (originality and creativity so rare in video games these days). Unfortunately having to jump to your doom a gazillion times just to learn the right way to get through a level is just shitty game design. I mean, in real life, who the hell jumps blindly off a roof just to figure out if their is something to safely land on or grab on to?

Oh and the combat, why even bother? In order to take down a cop/soldier/robo-mech-of-doom you have to...Run directly into their line of fire. Oh but of course you are wearing your magic T-shirt that makes you semi impervious to bullets so it makes sense why you would charge a man straight on who is holding an Uzi at head level.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
hahaha finally got round to watching this and WHY DOES EVERYTHING HE SAYS HAVE TO BE TRUE!! it hurts

that guy 2000

Dec 10, 2008
Verbally murder Endwar for its surface of enjoyment but under it all a bad game which you won't play for much beyond the first day.

Decimator 3000

Dec 10, 2008
I can't belive that there are people here who take yahtzee's reviews seriosuly. He's a comedian and his reviews are intended to make you laugh they are nto to be taken as an actual review. He exagurates a games flaws to the extent that a game looks like complete rubbish when it may be only a miniscule flaw that has almost no effect on the gameplay. At leat wathc another review or better yet play a game for yourself before passing judgement.

Bez_Bezson

Dec 10, 2008
For a second I thought it was a bottle of Henderson's Relish [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendersons_Relish] at around the four minute mark, but it turned out to be Worcester Sauce.

Still, I guess it's hard enought to get outside of Yokshire, so I suppose thinking an ex-pat is Aussie had it was a bit much to ask.

spudpuffin

Apr 27, 2008
flaming_squirrel said:
Thought the demo was a bit 'meh'
I also thought it was just par and its also obvios that they put alot of work into the demo so that people would buy the "full" crappy game

Fugue

Oct 20, 2008
senataur said:
One of the parts I liked best about Prince of Persia : Warrior Within, were the Dharka chases. Where the game forced you to platform at speed with the bad guy on your heels. The whole theif Idea was a kind of way to introduce that same element of hot on your heels chase action, just with the cops on your tail rather than a monster. It could be done sandbox. Just like the way the Driver series did it with car chases. I was envisioning a game where you to stealthed into buildings, disable security systems etc, to steal the loot. Then finnish it off with rooftop escapes of 3D platforming fun.
I don't think ME needed to be open world or have any new elements like you've described. I can see the appeal, but I still hold that the big problem of the game was trying to create a story and game world that legitimised the game mechanic in the same way that (for example) most FPS games create scenarios and worlds that legitimise being a gun toting superhero.

To me it's like taking Tony Hawk or Skate and trying to create a narrative out of it. It doesn't work. It's better to have individual levels with various challenges. In the story mode of ME you use the "Playground" as a tutorial. In the Time Trials they create 3 separate runs from it. The tutorial takes about 10 minutes tops. I think I spent 5 hours 3 starring the Playground Trials. If the Playground was part of an open world the only way I could see myself giving that much time to it would be if they still had the 3 time trials there, but as part of some kind of open world instance quest type thing; a guy standing at the start point whose sole purpose is to dish you out a pre-scripted excuse for why he wants you to run the time trial. Tony Hawk wound up doing that around the time everyone said they'd run out of ideas.

Or look at the most recent Prince of Persia. It's open world, and the only reason you don't fast travel everywhere is because you have to collect all the light seeds after you've purified each level. So you wind up running each level twice, three times for some, and so the game takes a good 30 hours when there's really about 12 hours of content there. It's unnecessary padding and you can see in the reviews that that doesn't go unnoticed.

thevegetarianzombie

Dec 11, 2008
I never did have a problem with the camera or the collission physics, and to me the bloom was only a mild irritant. "Shocking brevity" does seem to be a pretty good description, though.

By the way, does anyone else here remember Breakdown? It was the Namco first-person melee game that came out for oldschool XBox way back in like 2002.

I loved that game like Yahtzee loves Branston Pickle.

Safe-Keeper

May 7, 2008
I was envisioning a game where you to stealthed into buildings, disable security systems etc, to steal the loot. Then finnish it off with rooftop escapes of 3D platforming fun.
It's a free running game. Free running is about speed and action. It's not Trilby's Art of Theft.

As for an Assassin's Creed open-world thing... no thanks. Sure, Burnout: Paradise, Assassin's Creed, and others did it well, but I'd settle with just having slightly more freedom.

thegaminggoose

Dec 12, 2008
I said this game would suck when I saw the trailers. I played the demo and I knew it would be a mass of meh and just be average.

chaironome

Dec 7, 2008
Another thing, the time trials are what really makes the game for me. There's no combat at all, just pure parkour. Just trying to hit all the checkpoints to get the best time. It's very addictive. I get the sense that Yahtzee didn't even try this aspect of the game before ragging on it.

Mirror's Edge will be one of those gems that people years from now will acknowledge as a classic. A game that actually dared to use first person in a platforming environment - and it WORKED. That alone is a HUGE accomplishment.

Esspytood

no Yabou
Dec 15, 2008
didn't extratech give this game 5 stars?

i didn't even know about the game until ben made posted this video...

nightmarejoe

Dec 13, 2008
Probably, it has been a very highly reviewed game. I did enjoy the demo but haven't played the full game yet...We shall see

Esspytood

no Yabou
Dec 15, 2008
i did actually get to play it in JB HI-FI today. for a first-person game the controls were a bit strange even though i just picked up the controller and predicted how it would work.