Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Matt1234567890 said:
Kind of, i think MHG is more of an updated version of the original, there's actually like 8 games now
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (I think they could've done better with seqel names)
Monster Hunter Frontier (a Japan only MMORPG)
Monster hunter Tri.
You forgot Monster Hunter Portable G.

and freedom unite was the international name of it the japanese name for it was Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G which has a nicer ring to it.

Dracolich5

May 28, 2010
Aylaine said:
In response to anyone bashing Yahtzee here, something you should keep in mind:

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault.
There is no reasoning in this statement to lead to this conclusion. He is a reviewer, a critic if you will. To be a reviewer, then he has to review it or he has no integrity.

Aylaine said:
He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on. Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation.
Once again, there's not much merit to your arguments. Judging by your post count, you must have annoyed thousands of people who can think by now. Many people with forums about their work will peruse it as a guilty pleasure much like googling oneself.

Aylaine said:
He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews.
Right, he's here to do reviews. In this case it's like the kid who hands in a book report which details the front cover, dedication, and table of contents of a book. "Lacks substance" is an understatement for this review. In the past he's been rather reliable, but he managed to screw this one up after he's been crying for a decent game for the Wii for months. Personally I think he's made up his mind about the Wii and simply won't spend time on any game that can use a wii-mote.

Aylaine said:
They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week when he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much.
This is what he does. This is not some idle hobby. He gets reimbursed for it. As an employee, this particular review should be grounds for reviewing his contract.

Aylaine said:
He knows how to do his job, and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Just thought I would clear that up. :)
Ok, so you think it will cause problems but have no effect. Make up your mind. It's pretty clear from your posts that you're the kind of person who accepts things and moves on. Ok, that's great for you but it's also what's known as an "enabler" personality. Granted, many people will call you well-adjusted but in reality your entire outlook on life is so laisez-faire that you're not interesting.

We're counting on Yahtzee to read over some of these reviews or at least to notice that the number of comments was staggering for a reason. Perhaps he'll take another look at it and post a second review of the game or perhaps he'll take offense at us criticizing his failure. Either way that's what the comments section is for. It's not just a drop box for "we like you" hand jobs.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
Aylaine said:
In response to anyone bashing Yahtzee here, something you should keep in mind:
I'm glad I'm not bashing Yahtzee, then. I don't bash people, I bash how people act.

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault.
He didn't play the game. At all. And he's a reviewer. That isn't reviewing the game, and it is his fault. Is it because my tastes aren't the same as his? No! If he had trashed the game, and I was complaining about how Cha Cha isn't that annoying, or the weapons aren't that slow, or he wasn't funny, you'd have a point. But when he doesn't actually play the game and still reviews it, how can you possibly say that is my fault? The very notion of that is insulting; I'm not the one getting paid to play a game for half an hour and then make a five minute "review" of it.

He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on.
I post how I want. If that's not adequate for you, another poster, then it can't be my fault.

In all seriousness, it's not about "acceptance" or "his way." It's about the fact he's not doing his job; I.E. reviewing games. He's not even criticizing it well, if you want to say he's just a critic, because he didn't criticize the game, he criticized what is basically the instruction manual, or the font.

Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation.
While not every creator reads the forums, plenty do, and, more importantly, people who watch ZP and could be swayed by him read the forums, so setting the record straight is a good thing just to prevent them from being misinformed.

Again, it's not about his methods, it's about the content. Is he funny? Sure, although the jokes sometimes get old (Yes, Yahtzee, we get it, you always kill/collect/target the enemies genitals/genital fluids!). But if he's not doing his job as a reviewer/critic/whatever you want to call him, he's still not doing his job no matter how funny it is.

He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews. They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely
60%, giving him perfect marks for humor, is still failing, sweetie. Again, I wouldn't care if he was the funniest thing I've ever watched *and* was praising the game, I'd still be annoyed if he only played through a bit of the game and was acting as if that was the entire game.

so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week
I expect more than an *hour* of play time out of him.

[quotewhen he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much.[/quote]

First off: Nobody asked him to beat it. In fact, most of the posters, myself included, explicitly said the game was too long to beat in a week. We just asked that he would play past thirty minutes in, enough to actually get to the monster hunting, or, failing that, to at least say he got so bored with it he stopped before he eve did.

He knows how to do his job
If his job lets him get away with only doing thirty minutes of research then releasing five minutes of content, pretty much anybody could do it, actually. Maybe not so humorously, I'm sure, but he's as much reviewer as he is humorist, and people clearly take his opinions seriously, so he should take them seriously as well.

and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.
Then why are you here? You came specifically to bash us for bashing Yahtzee (which we didn't do), saying that our posts don't matter (even though they've at least converted a few people, or came to reasonable agreement, about the fact the game isn't that bad), strawmanning us about how much we expect of Yahtzee, and then saying posting is irrelevant (when you're posting, doing all the things you said we shouldn't do to Yahtzee, to us?) The double standard here is palpable.

Just thought I would clear that up. :)
Well thank you for clearing everything up. Before your post, I wasn't sure if people paid attention to what I said at all, but now I'm clear that at least some people ignore me and only see me as "Mean guy bashing Yahtzee" despite the fact I'm pretty sure I've been very reasonable.

I hope this clears things up for you, but I'm doubtful. :/

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Warachia said:
SAMAS said:
Warachia said:
SAMAS said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Wow, 16 pages of complaining that he missed the point and that anyone who takes his word on it is a sheep.
Positive or negative review doesn't enter into it, the game is about Monster Hunting, but at no time does he actually talk about hunting monsters. If he talked about how long it takes to get to your first big monster hunt, then went into about how much he did or didn't like it, there wouldn't have been anything to talk about here. But he doesn't, and as a result we got the most half-assed ZP in recent history.

It's not just about this game. Have you ever watched or read the reactions to movies like The Core or The Day After Tomorrow from people who actually know climatology or geology? Whether the piece was positive or negative, at the very least we expect him to actually do the work if he's gonna make a video about it.

In short: This was a shitty video. It doesn't matter what game it was about. He could've done this about Drake and the 99 Dragons, and if he did as little as he did here it would still be shit. Yahtzee is better than this.
he DID work at it, he told his experience, and what he didn't like, and what he didn't like is that you BARELY HUNT F***ING MONSTERS, unless you count the wildlife as monsters, and he DID go into great detail about the game mechanics, and what the majority of the game is about and explaining how the game works, and tells you if you're going to get it anyway, to play it on a classic controller.
Except he didn't barely fight monsters. He didn't fight any monsters.

So he didn't get to go killing dragons with an Infinity +1 sword from the get-go. Big Surprise there. You fight your first Monster (Great Jaggi) on a Lv. 2 mission. TWO! You get past the starter missions, and you get to fight a forty-foot-long Raptor! I can respect that he and other gamers don't like grinding (I don't like too much of it myself if I'm not having fun doing it), and I didn't expect this game to change his mind about games like this. But trying to review the game without even getting out of the metaphorical kiddie pool is just wrong.
it's a ggod thing he didn't complain about the combat then, but you have to remember, he has less than a week to play, then review his games, which incidently is why his review of demon souls barely covered the game. Usually (according to him) he can beat a game by pulling all nighters, but when a game takes a long time to beat or get anywhere (like monster hunter and most Jrpg's) he can only review what he has finished, unless you want his reviews to be biweekly.
IIRC, he mentions putting 25 hours into Demon Souls in that review.

...Nope, I take it back. It was Dragon Age, though that was also deemed a heavily MMORPGer-style game.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
SAMAS said:
Give me a link to that, because I'm having a hard time believing he put anywhere close to five hours into Demon's Souls, as he mentions getting to the end of 1-2 during his video review, and no further.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Hazy said:
SAMAS said:
Give me a link to that, because I'm having a hard time believing he put anywhere close to five hours into Demon's Souls, as he mentions getting to the end of 1-2 during his video review, and no further.
Well, as I mentioned above, it was Dragon Age I was thinking about, and it's said in the video itself.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
SAMAS said:
Hazy said:
SAMAS said:
Well, as I mentioned above, it was Dragon Age I was thinking about, and it's said in the video itself.
Ah, sorry, I didn't know that you were referring to Dragon Age. My mistake.

This didn't happen.

griffinith

Nov 12, 2008
deckai said:
Shjade said:
Hm...I can't comment on the accuracy of a ZP comic critique of a game I haven't played. That said, watching gameplay videos of combat, I have to ask the folks who've played the game - particularly those who say they enjoy it - does the combat remind you of Phantasy Star Online?
I would say yes, in a way it remindes me of the phantasy star series but the fighting-mechanics are way better, mindless mashing doesn't work here, timing is essential. I'm rather new to the MH series, so i'm no pro and still get hit by enraged Monsters but I get better with each successfull hunt ;)
PSO was my crack before I played this game, and many aspects are the same. Neither really had a lock-on system (PSO did have that little auto-aim thing for spells/guns), but everything I griped about in PSO was better in some way in Monster Hunter. The Dragon boss (Forest PSO) annoyed me with its' landing attack that would spread damage along the floor, and at lower levels, this meant death if it happened to land near you. In Monster Hunter, if a flying creature (like one of the dragon-types) lands near you in monster hunter, you get pushed back from the wind, not hurt (although if they move to attack right afterward it could mean death).

PSO also had really predicable bosses. They all had some pattern of attack, which made killing them seem all too routine. Monsters in this game tend to change it up. You can learn the tells for their attacks, but it doesn't mean you'll be able to dodge each and every time. Finding new weapons from dead creatures always bothered me, and in this one, they drop nothing, you kill and carve them for parts that they should contain. (sure it's random, but still, at least it makes slightly more sense)

Weapons... both games have plenty, and each with its' own combos and weaknesses (times when you're unable to move/dodge) and doing the wrong move at the wrong time can get you hurt/killed. Blocking can only be done by certain weapons and not at random (like PSO), so if you're quick enough, and not in the middle of some other attack/action, you can block MOST attacks (some are just too strong for smaller shields to handle)

I picked up this game because I got into the series thanks to some friends playing the PSP versions. After watching them play for over a month, and lose to one particular dragon day after day after day, I really started getting interested. When I picked it up, I was quite happy with all the various systems and little things the game offers. It takes time to get into, this is true, but after that initial 45 minutes to 3 hours (time varies on how quickly you move from objective to objective), you can really start getting into the thick of it.

Even with my hundreds of hours of experience in previous MH titles, the Hunter Rank 9 Urgent Quest (the last one before I get new missions) took me and one other guy 49 minutes to complete. It was a hard fought battle, and I'm quite happy to say that it took me nearly every second to fell the beast. People complain about the maps, and about the lack of variety, but coming from PSO, in which there were a handful of creatures in each map and 4 main bosses (plus their more powerful "ultimate" forms), Monster Hunter was an amazing change.

My goodness this has turned into quite a wall. Oh well.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Dracolich5 said:
Judging by your post count, you must have annoyed thousands of people who can think by now.
Dracolich5 said:
It's pretty clear from your posts that you're the kind of person who accepts things and moves on. Ok, that's great for you but it's also what's known as an "enabler" personality. Granted, many people will call you well-adjusted but in reality your entire outlook on life is so laisez-faire that you're not interesting.
Judging by your posts, I think you get a kick out of being condescending. Nice subtle way of attacking someone. Making your insults sound clever doesn't make them any less insulting to people.

Reported, anyway. I'm sick of seeing shit like this on the forum.

theophanis

May 29, 2010
People brought up a lot of details about the game in this thread, but the basic fact is that it's plain obvious that Yahtzee phoned it in for this review. He demonstrates a very shallow knowledge of the game and even makes up for time by spending the first few minutes talking about irrelevant subjects (MMORPGs, Harvest Moon, adult visual novels, the box art, the Wii, the opening cinematic). He's clearly grasping at straws there.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put Monster Hunter and Harvest Moon in the same sentence before. The games are so wildly different in every way that a comparison is moot.

As people have said previously, the knowledge he shows in the video indicates that he only played the game for a maximum of around an hour, and a small number of fast quests. He didn't even get to the meat of the game, which is hunting monsters as the title indicates. He hardly knows enough about the game to be able to make a fair judgment of its strengths and weaknesses. It's not a perfect game by all means - you just have to go to the GameFAQs board for MH3 and see what everyone complains about (sluggish weapon usage, manual camera controls, Diablos is freaking fast, flexing when gulping potions) - but he never touches on what the game's real weaknesses are. That's really disappointing.

Unfortunately, lazy reviews like this (even humorous not-really-reviews) spread misinformation. If a reviewer isn't going to actually play the game they're reviewing any substantial amount they may as well not review it at all. I imagine he only put this video up because he's still playing/reviewing another game and this one was a little side project which he'd throw at the wall after a bit.

I really think he missed a good game by starting out with misplaced preconceptions about it. He didn't have to play much further to get to the real stuff, and then he would also understand why they start you off with gather and small hunting quests for the tutorial. I was surprised he dropped it after seeing Lagiacrus. For everyone else, it was an indicator of things to come. I still don't follow his reasoning for dropping the game after seeing that. And perhaps I don't want to, if it would cause me to miss hints about the rest of a game like that. Really quite saddening.

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
go nana go said:
epsilon246 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Hooray another shitty game for the wii

I don't get it why do Japanese people like this sort of grind fest with no storyline(final fantasy and so many other JRPGs are grind fest with a storyline)
Believe it or not japanese gamers like being told what to do next.
evidence: fusion the most linear of the metroid games did much better in japan than it's predecesors. That's just what they're like.
Fusion was 2D
Those do good in Japan dude,
They INVENTED it!
Other 2d metroid games didn't do as well as fusion, and they were much less linear. Japanese gamers prefer linear gaming western prefer open.

Dracolich5

May 28, 2010
AverageJoe said:
Judging by your posts, I think you get a kick out of being condescending. Nice subtle way of attacking someone. Making your insults sound clever doesn't make them any less insulting to people.

Silly power-tripper, you're not a mod and trying to act like one is pretty silly. Their comments were insulting as well though not as direct. I find your post insulting too. Welcome to the internet. For the record, getting a user banned is useless in a world with proxies and free anonymous registration.

Have fun spinning your wheels, noob.

Mindmaker

May 29, 2010
I've been watching this thread for the last few days and have made to effort to actually read all the posts here.
As misinformation is being spread I feel obliged to post my experience with the game.

For the record:
I'm new to the Monster Hunter series and never hear of it until the MH3 was announced for the Wii.
Right now I have spend about 75 hours with the singleplayer mode, but barely scratched multiplayer, as I'd like to start over with 2 friends.

As most of the points have been covered pretty good by milskidasith, I'd like to give as few redundant information as possible, but still give my opinion on the most improtant points.

MMORPG&Grinding aspect:
From what I keep hearing, most of you haven't ever come near any MMORPG and seem to have a faulty definition of grinding.
My MMORPG time are long over, but I had enough time to gather experience with Ragnarok Online, where you grind months until the game starts to be remotely fun, Dark Age of Camelot, which is similar but has an interesting setting/world and World of Warcraft, which covers up grinding quite well until you read endgame, which is the worst of all 3.

What I'm trying to say that MH3 contains a minor amount of grinding, which is mostly optional.
I could have beaten 80% of the singleplayer game just using 2 armorsets (Quropecco and Baggi), from bosses which are quite easy.
Hell I even could have left out the secound one and instead upgrade the first one with armor spheres, which you have in galore.
The few points of armor you will miss out in comparison with the higher sets don't matter anyway, since the most important things that armor gives you are armor skills.
I'm saying "could have", because I'm a collector, which enjoys getting new armor and loves crafting.

As several people have already stated, you get a farm and boats quite early in singleplayer, which supply you you most of the ingredients needed, besides monster parts.

Furthermore reapeating bosses in MH3 isn't tedious, as you might know it from MMORPGS.
Each monster is unique and poses a challenge, even you have beaten it multiple times.
It may be hard to describe, but it feels a bit like when you play one of this highscore based arcade games and then start over thinking "I can do better than this!".

The first time you fight a boss, without using any of the tools it may take anything between 20-40 minutes, depending on how good you are.
Fighting it this way, lets you learn its movment patterns and develop strategies.

If you really are not in the mood for a long fight, or want to farm that monster you can bring bombs, traps and gimmicks (produced by your farm, or bought in the shop, so no extra effort needed) you can beat a monster in as short as ten minutes.
If you don't believe me watch this guys videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/SocialDissonance#g/u
He doesn't use any overpowered equipment, just basic stuff you can have when you meet the monster the first time.

About the tutorial:
I don't even see the point in defending it.
For me it has been a part of the experience, nothing tedious to find there at all.
I really enjoyed to go and explore the Moga Woods for the first time, watch the wildlife and look at the beautifully designed areas.

Everything apart from that has already been said.
You will get to fight giant monsters soon enough, just use the time before it to get used to the controls and grasp the game mechanics.

About console elitism:
You don't like the Wii? Fine with me, as long as you don't run around insulting it.

The Wii may not be on par graphic wise, with the XBox, the Playstation and the PC, but that's fine too.
While the latter 3 focus on getting more pixels, shaders and whatnot, the Wii can focus on innovation, playability and fun.

Claming the Wii is a kids console only, featuring no "hardcore games", is also nonsense.
I have already played a ood bunch of games on it, which were more challenging, than most of the games that come out for PC nowadays.

The game has the same right to exist on the Wii as on any other console.

AverageJoe said:

Have you even read all of his posts?
He stayed calm and reasonable for over a dozen pages, while people keep spouting nonsense and completely ignoring his valid arguments.
This would make anyone angry.

@milskidasith:
Nice to see another Urist around here.
Do you mind telling me, under which username you are being active at bay12games?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Dracolich5 said:
mike1921 said:
I could've told you Oblivion was a fun game, or at least able to keep my interest 3 hours in and I've played that for way more than 140 hours. If I was still playing a tutorial mission 3 hours in though, I would've took the game box outside and lit it on fire.
Cry more. Really, cry more. When you're mature enough to have an opinion, the rest of us will know.
Less "Cry more", more real arguments
mike1921 said:
If the game has a steep learning curve put in a skippable tutorial. You make it sound like "people skip tutorials" is actually a reason why tutorials shouldn't be named as such and skippable. That is the very reason why they should be there and easy to skip. Because there are a lot of times when people don't want to do them.
Well, there comes a point where it's nice for them to be skippable, but if your test audiences all need to go back and do them after the first boss wipes the floor with them, then it would appear there's room for the other view as well.

Gee, sure wish everything in life would have easy-mode conformity like Oblivion. That game's a cake walk but you can't admit it because you're power-tripping like a tard that got control of the short bus.
disagree. The game can be the hardest, most complicated, most newb unfriendly thing ever, I still won't be ok with a non skippable tutorial.

Hey, you said agame with 140 hours of gameplay can't be judged by the first 3 hours. You never said anything about how easy the game si?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
crypt-creature said:
mike1921 said:
There is no such thing as a subtle loading screen.
Sure there is.
Say, a futuristic game the requires you to go up/down an elevator to get to the next stage. Begin elevator riding animation that takes long enough to act as a load screen, but without 'loading' listed across it and making the ride seem like part of the game. Add in a few vocals (maybe information or something that would fit the theme of the game, )
A loading screen doesn't have to say 'loading' or be static for it to be a loading screen (and yes, it can be done).
I played Mass effect, those elevator rides were the most annoying flow breaking things ever.

MrBoomba

Apr 28, 2010
I've watched your reviews, always got good reviews which I think fit the game perfectly when I get them(if I do), but this one is rather off, yes there is resource gathering quests at the start, but maybe a hour or two worth then you get to monster battles which you made sound like are non existant. Having played the game(I am a rather large fan so bias entailed into comment) I will say you couldn't have gotten very far into this game before reviewing.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Mindmaker said:
While the latter 3 focus on getting more pixels, shaders and whatnot, the Wii can focus on innovation, playability and fun.
It gets the innovation part right,but most of the games I've played on it were completely unplayable and frustrating. And the games that were playable were only playable because it didn't rely on the motion controls too much (SMBB with the gamecube controler, SMG because the only thing you had to do was that incredibly simple spin thing, NMH1 because as long as you can swing the wii mote in the general direction the game wants you to it'll work)

Pyroco101

Oct 28, 2009
JEEZUS CHRIST 700 POST?! WE GET IT ALREADY, YAHTZEE DID A BAD REVIEW, HDFAGS WILL BE HDFAGS!

krgskks

Jan 11, 2010
mike1921 said:
Mindmaker said:
It gets the innovation part right,but most of the games I've played on it were completely unplayable and frustrating. And the games that were playable were only playable because it didn't rely on the motion controls too much (SMBB with the gamecube controler, SMG because the only thing you had to do was that incredibly simple spin thing, NMH1 because as long as you can swing the wii mote in the general direction the game wants you to it'll work)
So it's the console's fault that you don't know about the good games? There are plenty around. Sure they might not be all to your taste, but calling them bad is just ridiculous.
Some examples:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
A Boy and His Blob
Little King's Story
Boom Blox: Bash Party
de Blob
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Zack & Wiki

And those are just the ones I can think of right now. Not to mention the games that were improved by motion controls (Okami, RE4, Metroid Trilogy). And then there are the numerous Wii-Ware titles that kick some serious ass. Like bit.trip beat for example.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
krgskks said:
mike1921 said:
Mindmaker said:
So it's the console's fault that you don't know about the good games? There are plenty around. Sure they might not be all to your taste, but calling them bad is just ridiculous.
Some examples:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
A Boy and His Blob
Little King's Story
Boom Blox: Bash Party
de Blob
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Zack & Wiki

And those are just the ones I can think of right now. Not to mention the games that were improved by motion controls (Okami, RE4, Metroid Trilogy). And then there are the numerous Wii-Ware titles that kick some serious ass. Like bit.trip beat for example.
Okami? Improved by motion controls? I was really looking forward to playing that game but when I finally rented it I had to send it back 2 hours later because trying to use the motion controls was absolutely impossible for me. I will eventually get it for the PS2 where I can use a controller I actually tolerate.