Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Krimson Kun

May 28, 2010
its funny because this game actually scored perfect score on famitong, one of the most famous game magazines in Japan, and for the very reasons that Yahtzee claims do not exist

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
Ok, new rule: Yahtzee needs to tell the audience how much of the game he actually played. A lot of this could have been avoided if he just told people that he barely played the tutorial.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Ehn, we should remember (769 posts wow that's a lot goddamn) that a Yahtzee video only really has one requirement- It is funny as Seven Samurai played at 10X speed.
And, was it? Yes, yes it was. As they always are.
No one usually seems to mind when Yahtzee baselessly insults anything else, why is this such a problem? Hands up, people- who actually buys games based on Yahtzee reviews? You? Please leave the room for lying, you filthy liar.
And even if you aren't lying, well, I guess you deserve to miss out on an excellent game for only taking ONE review into account. I can't see it hurting sales too much; good games are recieved as good games.

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
I'm glad people aren't putting up with Yahtzee's bullshit for a change.
He shouldn't review a game he played 30 minutes of. That's fucking lazy and insulting.
And then he tries beating around the bush by talking about a kazillion irrelevant subjects.

This new trend sucks, Yahtzee. We deserve more.

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
go nana go said:
epsilon246 said:
go nana go said:
epsilon246 said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Hooray another shitty game for the wii

I don't get it why do Japanese people like this sort of grind fest with no storyline(final fantasy and so many other JRPGs are grind fest with a storyline)
Believe it or not japanese gamers like being told what to do next.
evidence: fusion the most linear of the metroid games did much better in japan than it's predecesors. That's just what they're like.
Fusion was 2D
Those do good in Japan dude,
They INVENTED it!
Other 2d metroid games didn't do as well as fusion, and they were much less linear. Japanese gamers prefer linear gaming western prefer open.
Super Metroid, good
Metroid Zero Mission, good
This doesn't make sense!!!!

Wiki on fusion:
"The game went on to sell over 940,000 copies in North America by August 2006, with revenues of $27 million.[33] As of November 2004, the game has sold 155,000 units in Japan."

Wiki on super metriod:
"Super Metroid sold poorly in Japan. With the help of strong marketing from Nintendo, Super Metroid sold better in North America and Europe."
?!?!?! A 2d linear game selling better in North America?!?!?!?

It's more about the fact metroid is not japanese at all. It's pure sci-fi with no spirits or folklore or allusions or chosen ones or any staples of japanese society, and it fits in perfectly with the american audience. We DO love shooting stuff in space. EVERY game was linear back in the day. And no one complained they wished they could have dialog options and bang Asari in space for the lulz.
Lineality is more than just story, you're never really told where to go in super it's up tp you to explore... actually perhaps japaneese gamers just like being led around.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Telekinesis said:
I'm glad people aren't putting up with Yahtzee's bullshit for a change.
He shouldn't review a game he played 30 minutes of. That's fucking lazy and insulting.
And then he tries beating around the bush by talking about a kazillion irrelevant subjects.

This new trend sucks, Yahtzee. We deserve more.
Thank you for saying what I have been thinking for the past days.

He didn't play for more than a couple of hours, impossible! If he did, he would've at least encountered the Great Jaggi, a monster possibly a little larger than Lagiacrus, and his opinion should change fast.

Off course the 1 star quests are nothing more that fetchquests. ANY RPG has you do stuff like that for the first hours.

This was a piss poor review, and not quite the best video either. I know the bar takes up a lot of time, but if you can't even do these viedos right anymore, please chose one of two things: the bar or the videos. A local bar or a global website.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Aylaine said:
feather240 said:
Aylaine said:
In response to anyone bashing Yahtzee here, something you should keep in mind:

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault. He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on. Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation. He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews. They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week when he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much. He knows how to do his job, and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Just thought I would clear that up. :)
Well said, we need a disclaimer like that at the beginning of the OP for his videos.

Quaidis said:
feather240 said:
PayJ567 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.
How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?
Apologies if someone already answered you. It takes less than an hour (two hours at most if you take your time enjoying the scenery) to get to the bigger monsters. The first quests are very easy and quick, and are there to help you get a feel of the game and controls. If you are use to previous Monster Hunter games, it takes less than thirty minutes.
Maybe he was playing with the wiimote instead of the controller. He probably had one at some point, but maybe he sold it. To get money for a triple-cun- *cough* Nevermind... <.<
Finally someone who actually understood my post. Cookies to you for being able to read past all the arguing and vs-ism here. :)
It's easy, when ZP has a lot of posts I just don't read them all. It saves me time and protects me from the mind flailing.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Quaidis said:
feather240 said:
Quaidis said:
feather240 said:
PayJ567 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.
How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?
Apologies if someone already answered you. It takes less than an hour (two hours at most if you take your time enjoying the scenery) to get to the bigger monsters. The first quests are very easy and quick, and are there to help you get a feel of the game and controls. If you are use to previous Monster Hunter games, it takes less than thirty minutes.
Maybe he was playing with the wiimote instead of the controller. He probably had one at some point, but maybe he sold it. To get money for a triple-cun- *cough* Nevermind... <.<
Ahahaha... Ahh..... Good times.

Honestly, I've been playing with the Wiimote and haven't had any trouble. It takes getting use to, mind you.

Bloody well that could be read in all sorts of fashions.
How is the wiimote used? Is it like an FPS or TPS because then I don't see the problem. Most of those work fine with the wiimote. (...or there's that Prince of Persia Rival Swords control system, god I loved that game, even for the Wii.)

AwesomeFerret

Apr 28, 2010
I have to wonder at this point how Yahtzee will respond, I don't think this sort of stir has been stirred up since his SSBB review. Will he respond and admit his mistakes? Or will he convince himself he is too popular to care?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Mr Companion said:
Well I am glad I did not take heed of the positive reviews. This review pretty much explains exactly what the footage looked like to me, running around smacking monsters in order to gather up bits of pointless tat.
So... despite most reviews giving it a generally positive score, you take the one critic who disagrees (and who obviously isn't interested in laying out information in anything but an entertaining context) as the gospel truth?

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
feather240 said:
How is the wiimote used? Is it like an FPS or TPS because then I don't see the problem. Most of those work fine with the wiimote. (...or there's that Prince of Persia Rival Swords control system, god I loved that game, even for the Wii.)
It's a well-balanced, "the 'wand' controller is basically for actions and the 'nun-chuck' is for defense and movement." The camera follows the character loosely, and if you want to see what's behind you, you can turn the character around and hit a button to recenter the camera. You can set the camera to follow the character at three different angles with the touch of a button (but not straight through their eyes like your typical FPS). The scheme of it takes a while to get use to since there is so much to do, which basically explains why there are a handful of fetch quests in the beginning, and once you do things become more or less reflex. But it's not mind-numbingly difficult like Tomb Raider. And it's not piss-easy like... Oh... Metroid. The entire game and way it works reminds me of Way of the Samurai in more ways than one, but my memory may be askew.

The only thing that really bugged me about the game controls was that, in utter panic at being attacked by something rather large, I ask it to use an item and the character sheaths their weapon. Then I have to ask it to use an item a second time for the item-taking to be done. This is antagonistic due to the fact that sheathing and unsheathing something, depending on how heavy the weapon you have is, takes a wee bit too long. As is taking/eating an item. If I am in a frizzy over the fact that t-rex over there is going to kill me in one poke and I get all the way to a safe area for two seconds, the last thing I want the game to do is take its time sheathing my weapon instead of eating the potion while the dinosaur rips my head off. Though I think this unnecessary difficulty was done on purpose, to put you into more of a panic when you are in actual danger.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Quaidis said:
feather240 said:
It's a well-balanced, "the 'wand' controller is basically for actions and the 'nun-chuck' is for defense and movement." The camera follows the character loosely, and if you want to see what's behind you, you can turn the character around and hit a button to recenter the camera. You can set the camera to follow the character at three different angles with the touch of a button (but not straight through their eyes like your typical FPS). The scheme of it takes a while to get use to since there is so much to do, which basically explains why there are a handful of fetch quests in the beginning, and once you do things become more or less reflex. But it's not mind-numbingly difficult like Tomb Raider. And it's not piss-easy like... Oh... Metroid. The entire game and way it works reminds me of Way of the Samurai in more ways than one, but my memory may be askew.

The only thing that really bugged me about the game controls was that, in utter panic at being attacked by something rather large, I ask it to use an item and the character sheaths their weapon. Then I have to ask it to use an item a second time for the item-taking to be done. This is antagonistic due to the fact that sheathing and unsheathing something, depending on how heavy the weapon you have is, takes a wee bit too long. As is taking/eating an item. If I am in a frizzy over the fact that t-rex over there is going to kill me in one poke and I get all the way to a safe area for two seconds, the last thing I want the game to do is take its time sheathing my weapon instead of eating the potion while the dinosaur rips my head off. Though I think this unnecessary difficulty was done on purpose, to put you into more of a panic when you are in actual danger.
"Heh, watch your back..." "OM NOM NOM"

HappyWulf

Sep 9, 2008
Horrible review. He obviously couldn't even find the time to play past the tutorial levels.
These days I find Classic Game Reviews much more entertaining and endearing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/InecomCompany
Shame on you, Yatzee. Poor bastard can't even kill a Kut-Ku.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUj_A7TL9fk

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
AwesomeFerret said:
I have to wonder at this point how Yahtzee will respond, I don't think this sort of stir has been stirred up since his SSBB review. Will he respond and admit his mistakes? Or will he convince himself he is too popular to care?
Dude, that ferret is adorable.

Aylaine said:
AwesomeFerret said:
We might get another mailbag showdown type of episode, which would be awesome. :)
Hm, indeed- I'll be interested to see the EP for this...

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
How about this for a change:
WHY
DO
YOU
GUYS
EVEN
FREAKING
CARE?
I didn't think anybody took yahtzee seriously EVER, He has made a few good points, but as he's said before, IT'S NOT FUNNY IF HE THINKS A GAME IS GOOD. Now some people don't think he's funny at all, as they have a different sense of humor. But seriously, why does everyone complain like a bunch of 7 year old girls when yahtzee gives a game that they like a bad review?
And if he stopped playing 30 minutes in, who cares? maybe he just hated it. I played Fatal Inertia for 15 minutes before returning it to gamestop and getting a different game. Is that wrong? No, because I hated Fatal Inertia. Some people enjoy certian games more than others, like if I don't like Fatal Inertia, someone else might love it. Do I care? No. Should you care if yahtzee doesn't like Monster Hunter Tri? No, you shouldn't.

Normeo

Sep 11, 2008
So I loved the original game, despite not wanting to sell burnt meat just in case you need it. Still nothing is going to make me buy a wii. The classic controller almost sold me, but surely that just turns it into a game cube?