Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Dec 14, 2009
manas said:
I posting here because i would really like to know what is the sense of even playing a console game. So far i can't think of any.
Obvious troll is obvious.

Please vacate the escapist through the various exit ports dotted around you. Opinions are fine, but you just look like a smelly troll.

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
Oh yeah and also, could you talk more about the actual games in the future and not about the opening cinematic and the consoles they're on?

When I watch "Zero Punctuation Review: Monster Hunter Tri", I expect it to be about, well, Monster Hunter Tri, and not about "LOL WII SUCKS" and "LOL OPENING CINEMATIC SHOWS ME FUNNY STUFF LET'S BURN A MINUTE ON THAT".

As a longtime fan I'm feeling disappointed by this new trend of laziness.

krgskks

Jan 11, 2010
milskidasith said:
krgskks said:
Demoliboy2 said:
@Manas: Unless you are talking about FPS' and RTS, nothing compares to a gamepad sorry, you are just being an elitist gamer, and no-one likes one.

I'm not saying PC is bad, no chance in hell. But it's not perfect and is even further away from being the best console.
How old are you? 12? There are so many video game genres that demand a keyboard and or mouse to control. Maybe you should look them up sometimes.
I have fun with consoles, but your statement is just ridiculous.
Actually, I kind of agree; only in FPS's (that don't have lock on, like RDR) and RTS's are mice absolutely required. Most other genres can be played just fine with a gamepad.
So we are going to ignore the adventure games, flight/space/whatever-sims, RPGs (and I'm talking real RPGs here, not action-adventure stuff like Mass Effect) and whatever other strategy games there are.

Yes a gamepad is pretty unbeatable when playing Beat'em ups, Sports games or some kind of 3rd person action game (like Silent Hill), but apart from that? I thought Need for Speed was better to play with a keyboard, although I can see people who would like a gamepad for that. You can play platformers pretty good with a keyboard. It might feel right with a gamepad, but it has no advantages.
Imagine playing Diablo with a gamepad or something like Baldur's Gate.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SirMax said:
So... did the game have a plot? Was there any value to collecting anything and upgrading it? Or was it literally just a circle of upgrading to make it easier to collect so you can upgrade more?
It's a game that revolves mostly around doing quests online so it is supposed to be a kind of MMO that gives you the chance to play offline. Not a bad game if you like the kind, but he is right about the things he says, yet I find it addicting, but that might be because it's simple enough to understand, yet challenging enough to make you want to break your controller. Especially at the part with the sea monster he talked about... Why make you meet that thing that early when you have no chance to survive against it when you have to be in the same place as it?!
The review was still good though I had a different overall opinion on it.
I am guessing we'll be seeing No More Heroes 2 next week, and I will hopefully get that myself this Friday.

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
So we are going to ignore the adventure games, flight/space/whatever-sims, RPGs (and I'm talking real RPGs here, not action-adventure stuff like Mass Effect) and whatever other strategy games there are.

Yes a gamepad is pretty unbeatable when playing Beat'em ups, Sports games or some kind of 3rd person action game (like Silent Hill), but apart from that? I thought Need for Speed was better to play with a keyboard, although I can see people who would like a gamepad for that. You can play platformers pretty good with a keyboard. It might feel right with a gamepad, but it has no advantages.
Nobody cares. Stop trying to excuse your purchase. Having a "pc master race" avatar makes than even sadder.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
Yup. Though I was stunned at how much resource collection went into Freedom Unite alone; My friends rented Tri last weekend and...it looks exactly the same, only with more prep-grind.

The rank 3 and onward hunts were very interesting, requiring this little thing called "SKILL" to actually beat. Or the other hunts where you have two angry titans running your nancy ass down.

I absolutely hate resource grinding though. It takes the fun out of just about anything now, and (besides nearly crippling my left hand for life on the PSP's player-hating controller design) caused me to just stop playing Freedom Unite months ago. Great, panicky multiplayer though.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Oh wow, for the very first time I disagree with every single argument Yahtzee made regarding the game... ah well, had to happen sometime.

*goes back to grind for flashbugs*

krgskks

Jan 11, 2010
Telekinesis said:

Nobody cares. Stop trying to excuse your purchase. Having a "pc master race" avatar makes than even sadder.
Actually, you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't have responded.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
krgskks said:
milskidasith said:
krgskks said:
Demoliboy2 said:
@Manas: Unless you are talking about FPS' and RTS, nothing compares to a gamepad sorry, you are just being an elitist gamer, and no-one likes one.

I'm not saying PC is bad, no chance in hell. But it's not perfect and is even further away from being the best console.
How old are you? 12? There are so many video game genres that demand a keyboard and or mouse to control. Maybe you should look them up sometimes.
I have fun with consoles, but your statement is just ridiculous.
Actually, I kind of agree; only in FPS's (that don't have lock on, like RDR) and RTS's are mice absolutely required. Most other genres can be played just fine with a gamepad.

EDIT: I don't feel like getting into this pointless war. Even when I fully admit some genres are better on the PC (as I edited in; real time RPGs, such as MMOs, and third person shooters require a PC to work), I still get the whole "You're ignoring X" with a subtext of "You are a console fanboy." If you think everything, even games that are turn based so the control scheme doesn't really matter at all, is better on a PC, that's fine by me, but be a bit more respectful about it instead of going with the whole "you're ignoring X" opener.

krgskks

Jan 11, 2010
Nfritzappa said:
You do realize Yahtzee's "PC gaming master race" imagery was created out of irony?
No I'm taking that very seriously like the rest of the people here.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of those states. Why can't they just become nuclear testing grounds? The people who live in them already appear to suffer from the mental retardation caused by exposure to radiation.

Please note that I am NOT being serious, I acknowledge the existence of Texas, I just don't like it :)

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.
This game has a very 'Dark Cloud' vibe sound to it. I feel. Just swap a few things around.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Well, I'm in the camp of those who played the first Monster Hunter on PS2 and never looked back. As far as relaxing hunter/gathering games go, there's nothing like it. Still, I totally understand that most people lack the patience to play a game such as this. After all, it forces you to earn your hunter ranks, rather than spoil you with the instant gratification gravy game developers dole out so easily these days. I love Monster Hunter's atmosphere, a no-nonsense representation of what the game wants to accomplish: total relaxation in a warm, inviting world from the past.

Still, even though I apparently don't agree with its contents, Yahtzee did make an entertaining review. Liked it.

Oh, and about the keyboard & mouse vs. game pad discussion: *real* players can master *any* input device required by the games they play, and that's all I'm going to say about that. Peace.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
cheywoodward said:
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of those states. Why can't they just become nuclear testing grounds? The people who live in them already appear to suffer from the mental retardation caused by exposure to radiation.

Please note that I am NOT being serious, I acknowledge the existence of Texas, I just don't like it :)
Uhh....wrong thread?

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
cheywoodward said:

Uhh....wrong thread?
It was in response to what Yahtzee said about hunting games.

BlackDodongo

Apr 15, 2009
Seriously? Im dissapointed Yahtzee. I mean, I know the game doesnt exaclty explain itself but I thought it was pretty obvious that after 30 mins of Gathering quests you get to do the proper quests and fight the real monsters. That horrifying sea monster you found? Go find the actual quest to slay one. It is there, you may have to rank up first but there are plenty of other quests with other monsters to kill. Gathering is a large part of this series but after about an hour of play attention quickly goes back to the monsters.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
cheywoodward said:
Aura Guardian said:
cheywoodward said:

Uhh....wrong thread?
It was in response to what Yahtzee said about hunting games.
Ah. My mistake