Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

beema

Aug 19, 2009
oh dear god, this sounds like the worst game ever. halfway through this review I had no idea what you were talking about anymore it was so tedious.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
I have decided on an easy way to explain to people who don't know Monster Hunter just how atrocious this "review" is. I'm going to explain other popular games in the same manner.

Halo is a game which takes place entirely within the confines of a small laboratory. You are immobile inside a measuring device and a scientist tells you to look in different directions. I am told there are lots of guns and aliens to fight but clearly that was just bad advertising.

Psychonauts is a game about a boy who was part of a circus and then went to summer camp. There were no interesting levels and I never got to use any sort of psychic powers. There were only three or four characters and none of them were interesting.

The only enemy creature in World of Warcraft is wolves. You do nothing but grind wolves until you get so fed up with it that you stop playing. There is only one faction, the horde is not playable.

griffinith

Nov 12, 2008
It's clear to anyone that has spent some real time in the game that Yahtzee didn't. I don't blame him though, it's not your average game. Most games will introduce you to the controls, the various mechanics of the game, and a boatload of tutorials if the game is (and sometimes isn't) complicated. Capcom loves leaving the players in the dark it seems.

I am still enjoying MHT as I've not hunted everything yet, and am taking my time to do so. I think his review would've been much more accurate if he'd played an hour of story mode, and then run off to the arena to fight some of the monsters (Jaggi, Pecco, and Barroth are unlocked to start).

It's done and over now, and there's his review. It looks very very similar to those other monster hunter reviews of the past. Good times.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
Oh dear, I saw this one coming. I didn't think Yahtzee would be the type with the patience to let Monster Hunter do its thing. Unfortunately, it's not a game for everybody; quest-oriented action RPGs require some... dedication (for need of a better word) from the player.

I'm only up to the 4-star single player urgent and already I've got a 70-hour savegame. Didn't seem like Yahtzee got too far with what little time he had.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Lord_Panzer said:
Wow. A shit-storm over a Wii game he didn't like. Who would'a thunk it?
The answer would be the same for any game with depth and true merit that was glossed over by a pompous windbag so he could rant about how much he hates Japan and only plays Manly games for Men like himself that don't involve farming.

The fact that it is a Wii game is beside the point. We already know Yahtzee will trash everything on the Wii no matter what simply because he refuses to believe it can ever live up to his expectations.

DerekTheMagicDragun

Jul 15, 2009
Did Australia get a different game than the rest of the world? I expect Yahtzee to actually play the game before he makes his video, within the first 45 minutes you get to fight the first 'boss' monster, I've been playing since it was released and have rarely had to gather since then, they give you a farm to do all that so you can kill monsters.

I think he just played the first hour and claimed the entire game was like that just so could rip on the Wii.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
If he fought something like Diablos or Rathalos and doesn't understand why "Monster" is in the title there's something seriously wrong with him...

Also, Psychonauts is an awesome game. I'd love a sequel but I don't think anyone could pull it off as well as the original.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Raioken18 said:
If he fought something like Diablos or Rathalos and doesn't understand why "Monster" is in the title there's something seriously wrong with him...

Also, Psychonauts is an awesome game. I'd love a sequel but I don't think anyone could pull it off as well as the original.
Maybe he just has inhuman skill and thought that fighting Jhen Mohren qualified as squishing little dogbabies.

Dangerious P. Cats

Dec 21, 2008
I really have to wonder how an RPG type thing would hold up if the buying and upgrading bollocks were done in a single location through a few simple clicks, leaving most of the player's time to be spent doing things that are fun in real life like swordfighting and talking to women.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
milskidasith said:
It's 15 minutes, at best, before you actually start fighting minion monsters, and an hour before the first big one. It's not three hours. Please, people, stop throwing around random times between two and twenty hours when it's really 15 minutes for stuff that isn't what Yahtzee complained about and one hour before the big boss fights that are advertised.
To be fair, it can take three hours if you've never played a Monster Hunter game before. Tri was my first one and you're kind of thrown into the deep end while you work everything out. I'd say about two hours or so to reach Great Jaggi for a total newb with no help from anyone, three hours if they get distracted along the way by killing the little pathetic creatures like I did.

Zayren said:
I haven't actually played Tri yet, but I loved the PSP Monster Hunter games. The fail of the Wii control scheme is definitely valid, and is what is making me question whether I want to get it.
If you do get Tri, get a Classic Controller Pro for it. I've been playing Tri and Freedom Unite in sessions recently and I prefer the Wii control scheme. It's so much easier to turn the camera while moving with a second stick at your disposal.

Datacide

Apr 6, 2010
Yay! Nice to hear the thing is exactly as bad as I thought it would be. I can safely keep that dust farm on my Wii going...I think it is entering a pre-cambrian-type period.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Dangerious P. Cats said:
I really have to wonder how an RPG type thing would hold up if the buying and upgrading bollocks were done in a single location through a few simple clicks, leaving most of the player's time to be spent doing things that are fun in real life like swordfighting and talking to women.
All the buying and upgrading bollocks as you call them ARE done in one location. There is a blacksmith. He is handles all armor and weapon forging and upgrades in the entire game. There is a woman standing right next to him who will sell you very basic equipment if you don't have the materials to make them. You will probably only use her once, to buy your very first armor set.

TheKwertyeweyoppe

Jan 1, 2010
This has to be the first ZP i've compeletely and utterly disagreed with, i suppose it's because he only had like a week to play it and it starts out incredibly slow

GraegoriHauss

Jul 13, 2008
I didn't actually play the game, but I did watch my younger brother play the online mode, and I do have to say: the game really is boring as fuck...until you get to fight a 50-meter long fucking rock lizard that swims through desert sand like it's water while sailing on that same sand a la Jack Sparrow in At World's End and shooting cannonballs at its face every time it fucking swan dives in a graceful arc over your ship.

Like all games of its kind, Monster Hunter Tri is face-meltingly boring for about the first 15 hours until you get to fight all the big stuff, at which point it upgrades from face-melting to just plain boring.

TheKwertyeweyoppe

Jan 1, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Aura Guardian said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate the combat. Love the idea.
You still play it?
Not really. The combat doesn't flow. It's horridly archaic with broad, slow swings and the like. But as it is...I'm stopped playing it. I'd love the game more if it didn't control like shit. I like the idea of just going around hunting monsters, but as it stands, I've not better things to play on the Wii. Like a 2nd run through Metroid Prime Trilogy!
if you don't like the broad slow swings get a sword and sheild or something