Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat X - Test Your Might

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Gotta agree with these points.

1. Brutalities are neat.
2. Would have been cool if the story campaign was done with the Outworld characters instead of the Grey Robins spitted out of a FPS.
3. Story is retard in many points. Baby steps still for the story mode in fighting games. Better than the old ones though.
4. Payments are lousy.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Trishbot said:
Uncle_Brainhorn said:
Quan Chi is dead. No more resurrections.
Like that ever stopped anyone. Johnny Cage was once resurrected by the Elder Gods "just because". The Dragon King resurrected Kung Lao, Kitana, Johnny, Sonya, and Jax. Armageddon opened a portal to hell that had a lot of dead characters quite literally waltz right out into the normal world... Mileena's ending in MKX quite literally shows her way of escaping death.

... Death in Mortal Kombat is as lasting as death in Dragon Ball Z.

That's not even a problem. It's part of their charm, really.
Onaga's entire gimmick was resurrecting his army mid battle making them invincible. That's why Kahn just poisoned him instead of attacking him directly. Come to think of it, Kahn has resurrected people too.

It's pretty much just Raiden that can't bring people back to live. Raiden: Being useless since MK6.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
malestrithe said:
I don't blame Neversoft offering 2 button press fatalities to the consumer. Supply and demand dictates people don't know what they want until it's offered to them. I wonder about the people who'll use it, however? The people who bought this up to 10 have been on board since the beginning and should know about the "complex" button press combinations.
I use them when I'm being lazy sometimes. Not that I buy them, you just get them occasionally when you level up your profile, or find them in the Krypt-unlockey mode with coins (which you can buy or get by playing continously). I think the fatalities are hidden (they show "????????" in the move list) til you do them too, either properly or with the easy thing.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Zero Punctuation was the only reason I visit the Escapist now that they no longer have Jim Sterling or Extra Credits.

And now it looks like Zero Punctuation no longer works.

Does Yahtzee have a YouTube channel?

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
the whole death/resurrection bs was my biggest gripe of this game, MK9 was so clearly hyping for "yes lets introduce a new generation of fighters, invigorate this long running franchise"....and then Netherrealm back-pedals with resurrection BS and only a 3rd of the cast are actually original characters.

Consider the typical fan base of fighting games, I have a feeling who the blame is for that disappointing anticlimax.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
JCAll said:
Onaga's entire gimmick was resurrecting his army mid battle making them invincible. That's why Kahn just poisoned him instead of attacking him directly. Come to think of it, Kahn has resurrected people too.

It's pretty much just Raiden that can't bring people back to live. Raiden: Being useless since MK6.

Raiden's done it too!... he just did a very, VERY bad job at it.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
OK, seriously Escapist, if you can't provide us with a video player that I can use without disabling my 3rd party extensions, I just won't bloody use it; I'll wait until the video goes up on YouTube and watch it then!

Seriously, why did you even NEED a new video player? The old one wasn't great, but it did the job at least.

Stillgard

P.O.D.
Jun 6, 2011
anyone else getting zero sound out of this vid? I've checked other sources and it's just this one particular vid. Correction, Sound worked fine it was just conflicting with a equalizer extension. So I was forced to remove it. Yeah this new vid player. I can officially say I hate it.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Olrod said:
Does Yahtzee have a YouTube channel?
He does. ZP isn't on it, but his weekly Let's Play style things with his friend (the guy who likes fighting games, as mentioned in this video) are definitely worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19

If you want ZP on YouTube, the official Escapist channel uploads them a week behind schedule: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheEscapistMagazine

Malpraxis

Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
Jul 30, 2013
I loved the fact that while performing the Selfie fatality on Jacqui, one of the random comments was something like "Cass! Lookin' just like your mom, bae" from Jax. At the same time, that fatality was hardly fatal. I think your odds of surviving getting half of your jaw punched off with a baton are much better than her X-ray, where she makes your balls explode, gives you a bilateral temporal fracture and 2 bullets right down the eye sockets.

In a nutshell, not a fan of Team Junior, but I enjoyed the new outworld chars. And the game is fucking beautiful and fun to play in local multiplayer. Kind of a violent themed smash bros.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Zipa said:
I like the Gabriel reference you slipped in there Yahtzee.
His overly medicated teacher friend who's into fighting games ... yeah not the most subtle cameo ever

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
iller3 said:
Zipa said:
I like the Gabriel reference you slipped in there Yahtzee.
His overly medicated teacher friend who's into fighting games ... yeah not the most subtle cameo ever
I doubt everyone who watches ZP watches or even knows about Yahtzee's YouTube channel so it would be very subtle to them.