Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

BaconPunch

Mar 24, 2011
huntgod said:
Why the hate for the new Doctor Who? That little red head is hot...
Because in the old series he was always incredibly clever and managed to save everything and everyone in ways you wouldn't have thought and in the new series he just happens to show up as everything fixes itself. Pressumably so they'd have more time for the laughable romance bits.

Although I do agree, Amy is hot.

Sifer2

Mar 5, 2009
Hmm now I am wondering whether Marty or Sam would win thanks for that. Sam seems bigger an stronger but then Marty is tricky an would probably trick him into looking away then punch him. An then lead him on some skateboard chase.

Mooshi-Q

Sep 3, 2010
Silent Biohazard Solid said:
Does BlazBlue have a kick ass narrative story mode? Or battle damage? Or alternate costumes for all the characters? These are all factors that make a game complete.
Complete for the casual player maybe. Most people who play fighting games competitively (which is really what the genre is designed for) don't care about story or alternative costumes. These are just sprinkles on top to draw in casual gamers. They're after thoughts thrown in on top of a fighting game engine.

..and in regards to why Blazblue doesn't have alternate costumes or battle damage, that would be because they use 2D sprites as oppose to 3D models like MK9 or SF4. Sprites are hand drawn. It takes months to draw out every little frame animation for a single character. To give them alternate costumes, it would essentially be like redrawing an entirely new character. It's fairly easy, in comparison, for the 3D model developers to swap in new clothes on their existing models.

As far as I understand it, 3D models are actually cheaper and less time consuming to create. Which is why you probably won't ever see Capcom release another game with hand drawn sprites (with the exception of re-releasing older titles; HD Remix, 3S Online etc.). It's easier for them. Plus, the casual players drool over things like alt. costumes that they sell.

It makes me sad as someone who prefers the artistic approach of the 2D sprite. Imagine how odd it would be to see a Guilty Gear or KOF with 3D models.

Jul 11, 2008
Mooshi-Q said:
Complete for the casual player maybe. Most people who play fighting games competitively (which is really what the genre is designed for) don't care about story or alternative costumes. These are just sprinkles on top to draw in casual gamers. They're after thoughts thrown in on top of a fighting game engine.
Well, every hardcore fighting game fan I've talked to said that this Mortal Kombat is really good in terms of balance and all that.
Gameplay is the most important party of every game out there. But that doesn't mean that all the other features absolutely don't matter and should just be thrown out the window.

Also, I'm hoping you mean casual FIGHTING game fans. Because believe me, as sheer gamers, Mortal Kombat fans are anything but casual. They care about the storyline, and what happens to the characters. I've talked to people, who have been playing Mortal Kombat since the very beginning, who want to abandon the whole franchise because they were unhappy with the storyline choices that have been made. Frankly, to me, the storyline of Mortal Kombat is more important than the ability to play it online. And I'm sure that a large number of Mortal Kombat fans, if not the majority share that sentiment. And no, I'm not gonna call myself a hardcore fighting game fan, but when it comes to my favorite franchises, I'm hardcore about all aspects. And if it was Street Fighter, or KOF, or whatever else instead of Mortal Kombat that I was into, then I'd care just as much about the storyline, and be upset with lack there of in certain cases.

Mooshi-Q said:
..and in regards to why Blazblue doesn't have alternate costumes or battle damage, that would be because they use 2D sprites as oppose to 3D models like MK9 or SF4. Sprites are hand drawn. It takes months to draw out every little frame animation for a single character. To give them alternate costumes, it would essentially be like redrawing an entirely new character. It's fairly easy, in comparison, for the 3D model developers to swap in new clothes on their existing models.

As far as I understand it, 3D models are actually cheaper and less time consuming to create. Which is why you probably won't ever see Capcom release another game with hand drawn sprites (with the exception of re-releasing older titles; HD Remix, 3S Online etc.). It's easier for them.
Yes, this is true. But it doesn't change the fact. The fact that when I'm playing certain games, sometimes I get bored with my favorite character's design, and it's nice to change it up and be able to play in a new costume. It's refreshing. It's the end result that matters, the featured product. Not how difficult it is to get there. I'm sure indie developers are understaffed and work really hard for less money than bigger developers. But I'm still going to enjoy Mass Effect more than I'm going to enjoy... Braid, or whatever.

Mooshi-Q said:
It makes me sad as someone who prefers the artistic approach of the 2D sprite. Imagine how odd it would be to see a Guilty Gear or KOF with 3D models.
Well, technically, Street Fighter IV is 3D. They went for the 2D look, but the point is, they did it in 3D and they pulled it off really well. As I'm sure KOF would if they went with that particular artistic approach, or even a general cell shaded 3D approach. Sure, the 3D KOF games that they came out with looked... Well, not that great... But that was mostly due to lack of actual artistic style and direction, rather than bad graphics. They simply took the character designs and translated them directly into 3D, without caring about the actual aesthetics. And that's what damaged them. Whereas Street Fighter artists and designers know what they're doing, and how to make a game look appealing, and SF translated really well from 2D to 3D. This time around, at least.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
The Doctor > Dr.Sam Beckett(quantum leap) > Marty McFly

McFly was in only 3 movies and doesnt really have any skills other than 80s main character hacks. in an objective analasis he cant win

Shinkada

Mar 4, 2008
Could we have an injunction against Yahtzee reviewing games from genres he just utterly hates on a basic level? It's like when Top Gear reviews family cars, only not funny. He never talks about what actually matters because it means nothing to him, which would be fine if he just kept his mouth shut about the genre as a whole. I don't even like Mortal Kombat, imo it's probably tied with Arcana Heart 3 as worst recent fighter, but he's just attacking it for all the wrong reasons. Then he has the gall to say it's okay it's banned because he doesn't like its PARTICULAR brand of silly mindlessness as opposed to, as others have mentioned, Painkiller?

If you're not going to talk about balance, character variety, accessability vs skill ceiling or metagame potential, just step away from fighters. May as well review RE5 solo.

... Oh. Right.

Mooshi-Q

Sep 3, 2010
Silent Biohazard Solid said:
Gameplay is the most important party of every game out there. But that doesn't mean that all the other features absolutely don't matter and should just be thrown out the window.
If the game developers can add these things then more power to them. I'm just saying that as a fighting game fan, you shouldn't exclude playing certain games because they don't include trivial things like alternative costumes.

Also, I'm hoping you mean casual FIGHTING game fans. Because believe me, as sheer gamers, Mortal Kombat fans are anything but casual. They care about the storyline, and what happens to the characters. I've talked to people, who have been playing Mortal Kombat since the very beginning, who want to abandon the whole franchise because they were unhappy with the storyline choices that have been made. Frankly, to me, the storyline of Mortal Kombat is more important than the ability to play it online. And I'm sure that a large number of Mortal Kombat fans, if not the majority share that sentiment. And no, I'm not gonna call myself a hardcore fighting game fan, but when it comes to my favorite franchises, I'm hardcore about all aspects. And if it was Street Fighter, or KOF, or whatever else instead of Mortal Kombat that I was into, then I'd care just as much about the storyline, and be upset with lack there of in certain cases.
I don't know how to phrase this without seeming like an elitist dick... Mortal Kombat has always been viewed as a garbage series by the fighting game community. It's nostalgic to almost everyone but it's never been taken seriously competitively. Well, UMK3 had some merit but that was the extent of it. So to tell me that the Mortal Kombat community have always really cared about story line doesn't mean much to me because they're a community for what was a terrible franchise. Meaning, that they're not the typical fighting game enthusiast. I know the story from the first few games and they're not well written. That's not exclusively a MK thing. It's just how fighting games go. They're a horrible medium for story telling.

I mean, it can be fun to play story mode through a character you really like to see how they act and how they interact with the other characters through the little dialogue cut scenes before you fight. Beyond that, story modes are almost always a short cut scene or huge block of text at the beginning and at the end of the game. That's just fundamentally bad story telling. As I said before, they're just an after thought thrown into the project. Liking fighting game for their stories is the equivalent of liking Silent Hill for its combat.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying MK9 is a bad game. Clearly, it's system and balance are well done to the point where it's been a major game and every major tournament since it's release. I'm glad the MK community have finally been given a game that doesn't blow in a competitive nature. It's one of the only Western made fighting games to make it. It's good stuff for the scene. On top of that, it has good graphics and they did a pretty good job with re-designing the old characters. Scorpion and Ermac are extremely distinguishable from each other. They're not the same identical ninja in two different colors, ya know?

I'm sure indie developers are understaffed and work really hard for less money than bigger developers. But I'm still going to enjoy Mass Effect more than I'm going to enjoy... Braid, or whatever.
Braid was a fantastic game. I've never played Mass Effect (I heard it was good?) so I can't comment on the comparison. I'll say that Indie games excel in taking games in new and interesting directions. Big budget games only get green lit if they follow the current gaming trends so that the producing companies have a higher chance at commercial success. They don't take any risks; basically releasing stale crap with pretty graphics majority of the time.

Jul 11, 2008
Red Rum said:
Does anyone know how to unlock the view mode for Mileena's Flesh Pits Costume?
Go into view mode, and while there, press the pause button and choose "Select Player", then you can select any player in any given costume just like you would in arcade or versus mode.

Mooshi-Q said:
If the game developers can add these things then more power to them. I'm just saying that as a fighting game fan, you shouldn't exclude playing certain games because they don't include trivial things like alternative costumes.
I'm not excluding them. But it's about a lot more than just alternate costumes. I'm just saying that a game that doesn't have a developed story mode, or alternate costumes, or other gameplay modes or whatever, doesn't have as much replay value. To buy a fighting game JUST for good mechanics is like buying Halo or Call of Duty JUST for its multiplayer mode. I don't bother with it. Or games like TF2, or Battlefield 1943, or MAG. Whether it's a fighting game, or an FPS, or an RPG, or whatever, it makes no difference to me. It's about more than just one key feature. It's about the whole experience.

Mooshi-Q said:
I don't know how to phrase this without seeming like an elitist dick... Mortal Kombat has always been viewed as a garbage series by the fighting game community. It's nostalgic to almost everyone but it's never been taken seriously competitively. Well, UMK3 had some merit but that was the extent of it. So to tell me that the Mortal Kombat community have always really cared about story line doesn't mean much to me because they're a community for what was a terrible franchise. Meaning, that they're not the typical fighting game enthusiast. I know the story from the first few games and they're not well written. That's not exclusively a MK thing. It's just how fighting games go. They're a horrible medium for story telling.
That's funny, because I've always considered fighting game fans to be a bit of elitist dicks. And that's not aimed at you, believe me. It's just, when it comes to judging a game, it's always about one thing and one thing only. Balance this, gameplay that. Take a game like Mortal Kombat Deception, for instance, I don't know if you've played it, but yes, as a "fighting game" goes, the gameplay is terrible. There's no balance, or any of that. Some characters are overpowered, certain mechanics don't work properly. But you know what? It's still a very fun game. It's got several gameplay modes, and even the core fighting engine, in spite of being largely broken, is still fun to play. No, it's probably not suitable for tournaments. But getting together with a friend, and just playing one on one, it's still a lot of fun, just because of its features. Things like knocking your opponents through walls into different parts of the arena, or into death traps, ending the fights prematurely. It's fun. And even without another person, the story mode, endings and unlockables make it for a very lengthy single player experience.
I'm not saying that fighting games have a track record of having great narratives, but it's not always about HOW the story is told, as much as just the actual story. Sometimes I don't want to play as a certain character because their backstory is lame. I want to know the characters' motivations, what they're fighting for, etc. And I don't remember seeing that information anywhere in Street Fighter 2 (as one example). And yeah, obviously there was no "story mode" in the earlier MK games. But just letting us know who the characters are, why they're fighting, and why they're there at all, was a huge step in the right direction.

Mooshi-Q said:
I mean, it can be fun to play story mode through a character you really like to see how they act and how they interact with the other characters through the little dialogue cut scenes before you fight. Beyond that, story modes are almost always a short cut scene or huge block of text at the beginning and at the end of the game. That's just fundamentally bad story telling. As I said before, they're just an after thought thrown into the project. Liking fighting game for their stories is the equivalent of liking Silent Hill for its combat.
Yeah, but it's a never ending cycle. Maybe if fighting game fans cared more about the storyline, then developers would take greater care to implement better storylines. And Mortal Kombat has become increasingly better at this with time. Frankly, their current method, stringing cutscenes and fights together, I think works really well. It reminds me of Def Jam games, and honestly, I think those had awesome storylines. And yes, I know that Def Jam is technically a "wrestling" game, but it's still in the same shoes. It's still matches linked together by cutscenes. And it works well. There's nothing wrong with that format. It's the same thing as any other game. Look at tactical RPGs, where it's just grid fights linked together by story sequences.
I can't really accept that analogy, though. I mean, Mortal Kombat tries to give its characters, like I said, at least good backstories, to make sure that the player is aware of their motivations. So there is clear focus on that. And there is general plot development from game to game. And when they DO include a solid story mode, that's just gravy. And that's why I own and collect Mortal Kombat games, and rent all the others, or play them at a friend's house. Because after months or even a year, I'll want to revisit some of those Mortal Kombat games, and replay their storylines, just to experience them again, as I would with any other game.

Now, if the new Mortal Kombat had absolutely no storyline, I'd probably still get it, because I'm an MK fanboy. But I probably would only get 1/3 of the gameplay value out of it. I've beaten its story mode 3/5 times now, soon will finish my fourth. Still trying to finish the challenge tower. I've gotten more hours of gameplay out of it, than I have out of a single playthrough of an RPG like Mass Effect of Dragon Age, and I have yet to play it with another human being.

Mooshi-Q said:
Braid was a fantastic game. I've never played Mass Effect (I heard it was good?) so I can't comment on the comparison. I'll say that Indie games excel in taking games in new and interesting directions. Big budget games only get green lit if they follow the current gaming trends so that the producing companies have a higher chance at commercial success. They don't take any risks; basically releasing stale crap with pretty graphics majority of the time.
Mostly. But that doesn't change the fact that AAA games will most likely be polished at least. Which is a sentiment I've come to appreciate a hell of a lot since playing inspired, but crappy games like Red Ninja, where I really wanted to know what would happen next, but the gameplay made me want to drown things. So maybe AAA titles won't be seeing any amazing new ideas of innovations, but what they do deliver is solid, balanced, fun gamepaly, and more often than not, a more than decent storyline. And that's ultimately, what I look for in a game. And then there's games like Heavy Rain, or Brutal Legend. Big budget titles which step heavily away from the "norm" and still turn out really well.

Here's the thing, though. Indie games are no different. Yes, Braid may have been something new and original and awesome, but what happened then? Every other indie developer said, "Let's do a side scrolling platformer!" and a lot of them suck. And even the ones that don't, still don't feel all that inspired. Frankly, I'm kind of sick of indie side scrollers. The indie Market is like a microcosm of the AAA market. They still follow their own trends. But they don't charge as much, so it's okay.

So maybe Braid was a bad comparison. But let's compare games like Fallout 3 and Borderlands. The fact that Fallout 3 has a more fleshed out storyline, and a ridiculous amount of dialogue choices and the way you approach your missions. That you could side with the good and the bad. That you could explore abandoned buildings and tunnels that have no mission attached to them whatsoever. Those things make Fallout 3 infinitely better than Borderlands in my eyes. Where in borderlands, the missions are pretty much just, "Go there, kill those bad guys." And almost rely on the fact that you'll be playing them with other people. Meaning that as a single player experience, it's pretty poor.
And that's the thing. I value the game as a whole. With all its modes, features, and how much gameplay can I squeeze out of it, just by myself. And that's why Mortal Kombat is my favorite fighting game. And why I easily consider it the best of the current generation. Not only because it offers so many more features than the others, but because it IS balanced, and progressively tweaked. So I don't see why the hardcore fighting game fans would complain either?

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
Mortal Kombat?s visceral violence is what distinguishes it from other fighters. Yahtzee being bothered by it shows he?s becoming an old man.

Remembering the joker finishing move gave me a laugh. It showed everything that was wrong w/MK vs DC in one clip. Midway thought DC?s IP was worth getting rid of fatalities, the defining feature of MK, and they were wrong. It was comically absurd to see the developers bullshit about how ?brutal? the shot we were just shown and how, ?fatalities are still in the game? when someone getting shot had negligible effect. What was worse were the fanboys raving in comments about how exciting it was; I suspected every one of them as a potential Midway/DC employee.

Red Rum

Feb 25, 2008
Does it only bother me that the name of the Shokan race from Mortal Kombat (the 4-armed guys) is only a few letters off from being "Shao Khan", the name of the main baddie?

master109

Oct 15, 2011
i wish they would make a fighting game that has every single character ever made in it then i could finally have that Master Chief VS Samus battle i have always wanted