Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Content removed.
Thanks, Yahtzee. I wasn't sure if you'd "get" fighting games. Turns out you don't.

Where will you move the utter-lack-of-understanding-regarding-games train next? MMORPGs? Oh, please tell me you'll fail at platformers next.

Ciledog

Apr 3, 2010
Oh no Yahtzee hates the new Doctor Who!

I'm just so mad that he has a differing opinion!

That's you, that's how dumb you sound.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Wandering_Hero said:
A zp that barely mentions the gameplay and actualy conetent of the game... what a shock
It's a fighting game what exactly is there to mention? His stance on fighting games was made two fighting game reviews ago when he said that basically fighting games are broken as someone can button mash there way to victory or just spam certain things over and over again and be just as good as the person who genuinely tried to master it. And while this game isn't Soul caliber or super smash brothers brawl he certainly wouldn't care enough to change his stance.

MasterDS

Jul 7, 2008
While I generally like the game (coming from someone who's only other proper fighting game is Soul Calibur 4 which I hated as much as Yahtzee did) I am genuinely surprised that Yahtzee didn't take the opportunity to give it shit for having bosses that are for all intents and purposes impossible to beat. I know I would've because it really isn't fun when the final boss is way way way way harder than the last 100 fights you just finished fighting. It really isn't. It's just frustrating.

It's like... Remember the final parts of Half Life 2? Where you were super charged and nothing could stop you? Remember how satisfying that whole part of the game was? I wanted that with Raiden where I could just kick Shao Kahn's ass, but no, they'd rather I not have fun finishing the game.

Sep 4, 2009
Banning "MK:here we go again!" is just going to make a dull game sell slightly better if they market it like a banned book. Which is a pity really because I still fantasise about futures where bad games sell poorly. Its not that I don't believe that will happen (what with an aging population meaning sooner or later there'll be a dought of young obnoxious fanboys with over-entitlement issues - HOPEFULLY, but its not getting me there any faster.

General_Potatoes

Jun 22, 2009
I like violent games but........ I watched a video of the fatalitys on youtube and........ Well it has ruined it for me. It's way too violent. Even for me.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Mydnyght said:
brinvixen said:
BAH! That opener was HILARIOUS! XD
Had me roped for a moment. When the video was starting, I was wondering, "Is Yahtzee actually gonna talk about the ORIGINAL Mortal Kombat?" I couldn't believe he actually did... JUST to point out the issue with having the exact same name.

You know what? What IS with some franchises using nearly the exact same name as the original for a later edition? I mean, Yahtzee's mention of today's Mortal Kombat vs the original Mortal Kombat reminded me of this:
I guess it's because it's better for marketing, simply calling it "Shooting 5: the Return of the shooter" would bring down the expectations of the potential customer just for having the number a the end, having say a sub title or nothing at all seems to give the feeling that original idea's were made going into it.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
HEY.......DON'T RIP ON DOCTOR WHO. matt smith is pretty damn good. david tennant will always hold the title of being the best doctor, but give matt smith a couple more seasons and we'll see where he goes from there.

doctor who vs. abraham lincoln ... ready... FIGHT

II2none

Jan 5, 2011
Funniest review ever. For once i didn't have to backtrack to hear and/or get your jokes.

Mortal Kombat 9 is an awesome fighting game don't care what know one says. Personally I'm more of a super smash bros fan, but tekken, street fighter and dbz, bodakai are awesome games.

Soul calibur is the only fighter that sucks.

unnamedsos

Dec 30, 2009
So i'm just here to tell our friend Yahtzee that there is a game with all characters in it
it called " Z-Fighters vs.the World "
in there u can fight as dragon balls fighters or gundems or even simpsons and mario .....
search it up :D

SamuraiShinrai

Oct 11, 2010
Scarlet Mongoose said:
SamuraiShinrai said:
I enjoyed the story up until all those characters got killed off by one person, really lame.
She was given the powers of all thoses souls and had her power jacked up by Shao Kahn.
Made sense to me that she was ridiculously overpowered.
The games storytelling and plot actually make perfect sense if you THINK about it.
I never said it didnt make sense, I said it was lame. I dont care how buffed up you are it still felt like a really lazy way to kill off a ton of fighters to make someone else look badass...only to have them get killed off seconds later. Out of the I think 10+ fighters that are there all but two die...one of which I really couldnt care less about. Like I said, liked it a lot until they did that then it just felt like a lazy way to get rid of everyone.

Jian-Li

Mar 24, 2010
If you're looking for games that are art you could try internet gaming. I've found quite a few artistic games on the internet and there's a better ratio of art to not art because people made most of those games because they want to. Not because they expected to get paid.