Zero Punctuation: Ninja Gaiden 3

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Qitz said:
Ha. The Nindger part was great.

Not really a surprise even Ninja Gaiden has nerfed itself, publishers seem to think gamers don't want hard games.

Wonder how many people will be correcting their screen with the "Gay-den" vs "Guy-den" ways to pronounce it.
Gayden sounds like a weather condition.

"Yeah, sorry boss, can't make it to work today. I've been gayden."

I suppose that's what happens when it's raining men.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yahtzee forgot to mention the part where you crouch behind cover and toss shurikens at anyone who pops up from behind opposing cover.
Please tell me you're kidding.

OT: That Playstation needs to see a doctor. Not that I've ever played a Ninja Gaiden game but the biggest allure for me was that it was very difficult. This doesn't sound hard at all...

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I recall Bob was complaining that bioware making a change to ME3 was setting the industry back and hurting the chance that games will ever be called art. You know what's really setting the industry back and hurting the 'games as art' argument? Developers destroying their original vision of their characters and franchises just to appeal to western meat heads. Devil May Cry was given to someone to purposely 'western-ize' it. Resident Evil was westernized by it's own creators (and now it's just terrible). Now we have Ninja Gaiden, which is as close to a western game as a Ninja game can get. Spoiler Alert: it's now terrible. Putting aside that's it's always a bad business decision to purposely jump ship and leave your fans aboard to drown, I get the impression many japanese developers don't really take their art seriously. If they did, they wouldn't alter it to such a degree just to pander to one particular audience who was a separate audience from their original market.

And people were offended ME3 was being treated as a mere product. Well, maybe when developers stop treating their games that way, consumers will stop to.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
I tried hard mode today and was quite disappointed that all it meant was more enemies. Enemy spamming can be fun, but the ways to dispatch them in NG3 are too limited and areas tend to be filled with twice as many enemies it takes to make combat a boring grind-fest. Where are the Vigoorian Flails? What about incendiary shurikens?

I knew the game might slip down a bit without Itagaki, but not this much. And Yahtzee comparing it to Call of Duty is a sadly apt comparison.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
I remember when I was a little younger and played Ninja Gaiden Black day in and day out, finally beating Master Ninja, fuuuuck that was a hard game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Please tell me you're kidding.
Yeah, honestly, that was a joke. I haven't played the game, but it seemed amusing to take the "like cover based shooters" thing a little further.

xPixelatedx said:
I recall Bob was complaining that bioware making a change to ME3 was setting the industry back and hurting the chance that games will ever be called art. You know what's really setting the industry back and hurting the 'games as art' argument? Developers destroying their original vision of their characters and franchises just to appeal to western meat heads.
Something Bob complains about regularly. Further proof that it's okay when I do it.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
"What was one of the last bastions of actual challenge..."

But! Wait! What!? Nooo...

That's Demon's- and Dark Souls and Yathzee raged against that shit for being "too hard" and "unfair" and other such assorted nonsensical bullshit.

Jan 12, 2012
The Gentleman said:
There's a Ninja Gaiden 3?

Also, one would think that cape would have been more of a liability at this point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2YhxXn7NY

NO CAPES!

OT: yeah, this seems disappointing; then again, I never played any of the others, so who am I to judge?

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I heard the parts about the story a month or so ago and was interested... but... "Too easy..." those words on any other game would be a significant turn-off, but on Ninja freakin' Gaiden? That's like... like an Uncharted game having too simplistic graphics!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
MatsVS said:

That's Demon's- and Dark Souls and Yathzee raged against that shit for being "too hard" and "unfair" and other such assorted nonsensical bullshit.
Note the "actual" next to challenge. Dark Souls, while very good, had a really bad habit of finding the right amount of challenge...and then arbitrarily sticking three or four extra things in that shoved it the realm of "cheap." The Four Kings, some sections of Anor Londo, Blight Town, Sen's Fortress, and the Capra Demon were particularly bad in that regard

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Aiddon said:
MatsVS said:

Note the "actual" next to challenge. Dark Souls, while very good, had a really bad habit of finding the right amount of challenge...and then arbitrarily sticking three or four extra things in that shoved it the realm of "cheap." The Four Kings, some sections of Anor Londo, Blight Town, Sen's Fortress, and the Capra Demon were particularly bad in that regard
but those moments were rare. the only time remember i was calling the games cheap was in anor lando with the dragonslayerbows archers. the rest of the time is was always fair IMO, and at the end i even found the bosses a bit lacking, but that can also be because i out-leveled the content.

cymonsgames

Dec 17, 2010
Qitz said:
... publishers seem to think gamers don't want hard games.
Publishers have sales numbers proving that gamers don't want hard games. Complain about it all you want about it (I know I will) but you and I are in the minority.

I don't understand what Yatzee's point is there at the end. "It's like a Final Fantasy game being too good." What's that mean? Is he saying that if a FF game was good he'd complain about it? I'm confused.

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
Lordofthesuplex said:
CXZ_inc0g said:
snap

Buddy I understand your cause but considering the amount of hype Nintendo already gave Uprising beforehand, I don't think we need any internet celebrities to give it more recognition. Especially not Yahtzee and his closeted bias against Nintendo.
Well, that's the thing, this game in my mind at least, gives proof that Nintendo has the ability to return to its former hardcore glory. Sure the dialogue is a little odd at times, but hey, the dialogue was like that in RE 4 and Yahtzee enjoyed that as well. As for the 3-D part of the game, Kid Icarus actually utilizes it pretty well and a lot of the scenery is pretty good when mixed with the stereoscopic part, but if that's still against the game, oh well that's Yahtzee's bias.

However, please tell me, what is wrong with the controls? They're pretty simple.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
well if this does bad enough, IF they make another one maybe they'll make it difficult again...and if not there is always Shinobi from Sega, enjoyed the version for PS2 maybe someday they'll make another one