Zero Punctuation: Ninja Gaiden 3

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Wow, a Ninja Giaden (Gayden lol) that's too easy?
Wow.

On the subject of hard games, Super Mario World Advance 2 on the GBA is a lot harder and more sadistic than I remember. I've been playing it on an emulator on the computers in my Econ class and that game kicked my ass until I firgured out I could use the quick save/load function on the emulator to help me get past the last couple levels and Bowsers castle.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
For all of the whining that was done about Itagaki, it really does seem that him leaving (and the crew that tagged along) may have taken the heart out of Team Ninja. I hold out little hope for DOA5 at this point though I hope it proves me wrong.

All told, NG3 isn't terrible, it's just such a failure compared to the godliness of NG1 and 2. If you're a huge fan of the genre you might still want to give NG3 a shot simply because there aren't many combat heavy action/platformer games released these days but don't expect to be impressed. Or you could always wait for DMC.. oh wait.. yeah.. maybe you shouldn't hold your breath.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
CXZ_inc0g said:
Urgh...
Again, it seems that Kid Icarus: Uprising, the game that is actually a challenge and takes good aspects from past games, has been passed up for a simple game about a ninja wearing the most improbable sneaky suit possible.
Please Yahtzee, please, review Kid Icarus soon! I don't care if you disagree with me and criticize it to the point that all that's left is its little golden laurel and a blood stain, I just want someone to recognize the game for pete's sake!
You and me both dude XD

Captcha: Cats and dogs....... Hmm, yes, alrighty then?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Whats with Big Ben being in so many games lately, I know the UK just did that tax reduction thing for Game developers but still seems odd.

Aren Triffo

Mar 5, 2012
I once played Tenchu: Shadow Assassins and in just the first 5 minutes of playing it became a better ninja game than any Ninja Gaiden game ever made. And it was on the Wii for fuck's sake.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Yahtzee mentions giant women a lot. Well. I count three times including this. ...but fair enough, an inferred trend is a kind of trend nontheless...

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I remember reading an interview with the new head developer (whoever replaced Itagaki) and he said something along the lines of "I think there was too great a focus on difficulty in the previous titles" or something. I knew right then that they probably killed NG. How someone can possibly take a series that's PRAISED for its difficulty and think "nope, making it easy will definitely not piss everybody off" is beyond me.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Yahtzee should have reviewed Warriors Orochi 3, as it's the better game that has Ryu Hyusabara in it.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
It makes me sad to hear that this series has gone down the "too easy" path like the rest of the casual-infested gaming world. Ninja Gaiden 1 was one of the only games of the last decade that I sriously never finished because of difficulty. Some Fire Dragon boss guy halfway through thoroughly wrecked me for a week before I finally gave up... and I consider myself a pretty skilled gamer. Granted I was 13 or something, but whatever.

Part of me desperately misses the days when beating a game was an actual accomplishment, rather than something that is just expected and unsurprising.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
rabidkanid said:
Ninja Gaiden 3 is NOT EASY!
There's this thing called a *gasp* difficulty setting in the options.
I've watched 2 people stream this game online. They were dying constantly and were pretty much ready to toss their controllers into their TV's due to how difficult it was.
It can be a hard game, absolutely. It just does it in the wrong ways. Having a few challenging enemies that take finesse and good timing is how Itagaki had it. This game relies on enemy spamming and has the worst camera and auto-targeting in the series. Fighting the plane in chapter 2 isn't hard because it's a tough enemy. Ryu insists on locking onto the small enemies even if you're looking at the plane, usually turning the camera around so you can't see any missiles coming. I've lost track of how many times I've been attacking one guy to have Ryu randomly finish off someone in the opposite direction.

Deathlisk

Feb 5, 2011
How dare they simplify my ninja gaiden. I'll just stick to ninja gaiden black then. I still ahve to beat master ninja. I keep getting to master ninja and then we switch x-box and I have to start over on normal.

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
I'm surprised at how nice you were to this. No weapons, no ninpo variety, no challenge, 8 levels and the worst story in recent memory. I loved the first 2 xbox versions but this was terrible.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
wow...Ninja Gaiden (back in the day) was listed as one of the most difficult games ever, and now you're calling it too easy...how the mighty have fallen T_T

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Awww ...

I really liked the second one, hard as nails but immensely satisfying.

What a jib.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Aiddon said:
MatsVS said:
"What was one of the last bastions of actual challenge..."

But! Wait! What!? Nooo...

That's Demon's- and Dark Souls and Yathzee raged against that shit for being "too hard" and "unfair" and other such assorted nonsensical bullshit.
Note the "actual" next to challenge. Dark Souls, while very good, had a really bad habit of finding the right amount of challenge...and then arbitrarily sticking three or four extra things in that shoved it the realm of "cheap." The Four Kings, some sections of Anor Londo, Blight Town, Sen's Fortress, and the Capra Demon were particularly bad in that regard
That's untrue, friend. If there's ever been a series based on cheapness, it would be Ninja Gaiden.
Also, your comment on Dark Souls being cheap is without any basis. Explain to me what's cheap about:
A boss that fights one-on-one but summons replicas if you take too long.
A swamp area.
A dungeon with traps that are easily dodged with good timing.
One of the easiest bosses. (before dogs are brought up, you can run by them quickly and get them in a choke point)
I will admit that there are two instances of cheapness; the Bed of Chaos boss fight and the Anor Londo spot where two archers are shooting at you at the same time.
But other than those, Dark Souls is pretty fair overall.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
King of Asgaard said:
Aiddon said:
MatsVS said:
"What was one of the last bastions of actual challenge..."

But! Wait! What!? Nooo...

That's Demon's- and Dark Souls and Yathzee raged against that shit for being "too hard" and "unfair" and other such assorted nonsensical bullshit.
Note the "actual" next to challenge. Dark Souls, while very good, had a really bad habit of finding the right amount of challenge...and then arbitrarily sticking three or four extra things in that shoved it the realm of "cheap." The Four Kings, some sections of Anor Londo, Blight Town, Sen's Fortress, and the Capra Demon were particularly bad in that regard
That's untrue, friend. If there's ever been a series based on cheapness, it would be Ninja Gaiden.
Also, your comment on Dark Souls being cheap is without any basis. Explain to me what's cheap about:
A boss that fights one-on-one but summons replicas if you take too long.
A swamp area.
A dungeon with traps that are easily dodged with good timing.
One of the easiest bosses. (before dogs are brought up, you can run by them quickly and get them in a choke point)
I will admit that there are two instances of cheapness; the Bed of Chaos boss fight and the Anor Londo spot where two archers are shooting at you at the same time.
But other than those, Dark Souls is pretty fair overall.
And I must say that Bed of Chaos and Anor Londo archers are not exactly cheap. Bed of Chaos uses predictable attacks and floor crumbles in predictable pattern. The only hard moment is landing on the root in the end, but that's not really cheap, just requires some precision. As for archers, you need to come prepared, aka with Ring of Fog on. Although it all may seem cheap on your first try, before you figure out how to deal with them. Although I've destroyed Bed of Chaos on my first try on my first playthrough. That's Dragon God all over again.

The Ninja Gaiden story is really sad. Ninja Gaiden Black was superb, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma even better. With Ninja Gaiden 2 Itagaki himself admitted that they ran out of time and screwed the balancing. In Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Team Ninja tried to fix that, but since they removed the gore game failed. And now in Ninja Gaiden 3 they removed gore and difficulty...

Well, you can always buy Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for Vita. But only Asia/Hong-Kong version is fine, as it's the only one that is uncut and has Japanese voices.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
Yahtzee. Portraying a conflict in the Middle East isn't racism. Please stop spouting PC nonsense. "But all those guys I shoot are Arabs!" Yes, because that's who you're likely to find there, durrrrrr

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Even after the witty comments about CoD rip offs and the way the female NPC's are dressed, I laughed hardest at those stun-combo and air-combo animations for some reason. I mean really laughed. Just diddling them about with the sword, which is what cheap stun-locking combos are.

Oh and climbing with alternating shoulder buttons could be considered a CoD rip off as well, no? Unless there's another game that did that first, I don't know.

I have been playing Ninja Gaidens since the NES, and my biggest complaint was usually that they were too hard. But then, platforming ninja games have always been hard (one of my favourite was Shinobi 3 on the genesis). So I can agree with comparison if "ninja game being too easy like a FF game being too short". Still like to try it though. See how it measures up with the difficulty of the previous ones, or other 3rd person slashers like DMC or Bayonetta.