Zero Punctuation: Nintendo 3DS

TheAngryMonkey

Nov 18, 2009
Great ZP, laughed my ass off.
Your Zp's were starting to lean more to the angry side, then making jokes about their flaws.
Still I have liked them all.

Geminel

Mar 29, 2009
Hey Yatzee, I was wondering if you have ever tried League of Legends? I haven't really seen you mention it in the past and quite enjoy it myself. Doubt you'll ever even see this but if you haven't played it give it a shot, it's got the best free to play model I've seen and once you start learning the core mechanics it's a ton of fun.

siNwrath

Feb 23, 2010
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
Bleh, 3D. The most useless gimmick since "smell-o-rama". At least in its current state. Not to mention all those migraines a certain percentage of the population get just by watching it.

The first and last 3D movie I ever saw was "Avatar" and it was supposed to have the best 3D around, yet it actually wasn't that good, not to mention the movie was as good as a monkey's arse.

I am yet to play a 3D game though, since I am an Nvidia hater and thus an ATI (now AMD, Intel beats it in the CPU department though) fanboy. Still even if I were an Nvidia fanboy I would still give 3D a pass, since I absolutely despise those retarded 3D glasses! But seeing how looking at the same spot from the same distance is not that much of an improvement, who gives a monkey's arse about it?

Still, I might reconsider on two conditions. First: no stupid 3D glasses! And second: being able to experience 3D from a wide variety angles and at a reasonable distance. The first one is already realized by Nintendo. And the second one probably wouldn't be that hard to engineer: all you need is a sensor badge that calibrates 3D on the fly relative to your position. Well of course it would be hard to engineer, but my idea might be worth looking into, and I'm not even an engineer. That idea has one serious drawback though, only you would be able to enjoy that 3D and a spectator behind your back would only see a pixelated smoothie. But for us gamers it's not that important, especially not for DS users.
I think you're severely overestimating the problem there. Especially on a handheld system. Also remember that its still early days for 3D yet. This is even the first 3D consumer product of its type afaik (glasses free).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
jsnfloyd said:
Worgen said:
it was rushed out a bit quick, Im annoyed the online store isnt even up yet but its launch titles are about as good as any system launch, almost no modern system has launched with a strong line up of games
The 360 launched with Need for Speed: Underground, which was one of the best in the series, Perfect Dark: Zero, which was decent until you tried multiplayer, and Oblivion. I don't know if I missed anything else, but that's a pretty decent line up.
oblivion didnt release till the 360 was out for awhile, I think like a year or so, also it didnt launch with need for speed underground, it launched with need for speed: most wanted and perfect dark zero was pretty crap compared to the first perfect dark game

the 3ds launched with a very good port of street fighter 3 and ghost recon (really good turn based strat game and some other stuff) as I said, it was a bit rushed, if they waited a couple months then it would have launched stronger, with zelda and res evil

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Every time they have a success it is followed by a failure? Which was the last failure? I didn't think the Gamecube did that bad, especially with Metroid Prime.
Metroid: Other M.

B)

Awwwwwwwww, yeahhhhhhhh.

On topic though, great vid and I totally agree. Nintendo has been tripping up since the end of the Gamecube's life cycle methinks.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
*sigh* I think I'll stick with my DS for at least another year, before venturing into 3D land.

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
I was disappointing that this wasn't a portal 2 review, but at least now I know not to buy a 3ds.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Still kinda want the 3DS because I missed out on Zelda and really don't want to play it on an emulator. Also MGS 3 for the 3DS is a good enough reason for me.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
no nausea yahtzee? ive heard some people say it made them sick.

anyway i was never really interested in the DS, or 3DS. just another gimmick really, not worth all that money.

EDIT: i see alot of people complaining this wasnt a portal 2 review, i say you give it a bad one just to piss everyone off.

(personally i loved it, but you know)

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
I'm honestly waiting till June,because most of the currently known heavy hitters IMO are coming out that month,like Devil Survivor Overclocked and Dead or Alive Dimensions...Oh wait,I think that one comes out in May

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
I laughed so much, just as i though zp was going down the drain along comes the good senor to put a smile on my face, brazo yahtzee

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
Yahtzee at his best - this was great. I am also a little concerned about the trends from Nintendo, Yahtzee has a point about the lack of profanity protection.

But again, great episode.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I didn't feel like reading all the pages, but I'm sure I could hazard a guess at most of the comments either being in total agreement with Yahtzee or people saying they don't agree with him. It's kinda sad, but anyways..

In regards to the 3DS, I said most of what Yahtzee himself said just the other day during an argument I had with some acquaintances of mine regarding both it and Nintendo's place in the industry.

I genuinely feel that Nintendo's starting to really worry me the last few years. I mean, it made some serious mistakes in the 90's, and by the time the GameCube had come out, I had really thought they'd learned their lesson. They'd been making some good games, and quality seemed on the rise... then we get the Wii and it's a mixed bag, and now the 3DS, and I personally feel it's the Virtual Boy all over again.. except for some reason now people are willing to accept it and not flame it to death.

I actually quite enjoyed the Virtual Boy, but I think a lot of people who played it and had real problems were either playing it too damn much or didn't really get how it worked and were getting headaches out of lack of common sense rather than the hardware itself. But either way, it bombed and Nintendo seemed more than willing to place the blame solely on poor Gunpei.. who would later leave the company, pass away (on accident?) and then Nintendo proceeded to rape his children into the ground.

As if the bastardization of the Metroid series wasn't bad enough, now Nintendo's taken the very concept that spelled doom for Gunpei's career there, and tried it again themselves.. and I can't say it's improved all that much.

slashd

Jan 6, 2010
Hmmm.... not mentioning Street Fighter? That's the only good 3ds game at the moment.

I actually bought the 3ds just for this game. Every other good game (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Professor Layton) is just a bonus.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Having not purchased the 3DS yet because of its lack luster launch titles.
They should have just waited till next year to release the thing...

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Pretty good episode :3

Until the 3DS gets better games it's essentially just a gimmicky DS, I like to think it'll grab my interest as better games are released for it.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Since the 3DS was designed with japanese gamers in mind... Would it be too much to ask to access our contact list over the internet as if they were close by? That was my first thought when I heard of the early DS online capabilities...