Zero Punctuation: Nintendo Switch & Breath of the Wild

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Samael Barghest said:
That's how I am with the Wii U. Only ever turn it on when I want to play Monster Hunter.
It is how I was with the Wii. As soon as I got a PS3 that thing existed only to play Smash Bros and very rarely Sonic Adventure 2 on. The Wii U looked like it was exactly the same and the Switch looks like it will be exactly the same. The GC had a few more games worth playing, but it too was regulated to being the Smash Bros box.

Real talk, why the hell haven't they put a Monster Hunter game on a console that isn't either portable (because a game where missions take 30-60 minutes to complete is perfect for portable consoles, he lies) or a load of poo (the Wii and Wii U)? Why don't they put one on something with a bit of power so they can make the monsters in HD and have enough power left over to allow the world to be more than just a single section at a time while also allowing 8 or more hunters (if they want) to join in the fray and do so over a much more stable and less annoying to mess with online service? Seriously, there is no reason to go with the shitty underpowered consoles with shitty controls and shitty online services that are in every way just plain shitty when compared to the alternatives. Imagine what crazy mods a PC Monster Hunter game could have.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
It really does not have much in the way of games coming soon, the Switch's release schedule looks really dry aside from Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey, both of which are several months away, so I don't expect the console to continue flying off the shelves for the rest of the year.

He was right, nobody was really asking for it, people wanted another like the Gamecube.

Jeez you are such a ridiculous fanboy. Do you write angry emails to Yahtzee like those fools did for his Mailbag Showdown video?

PS4 and Xbox One's launches were FAR better then the Switch's, at least they had actual exclusives that were not available on last-gen consoles.

Switch has a lot of problems, you cannot deny that.
No but I can't deny that the PS4 and Xbone had problems either like you are.

I'm sorry but you weren't asking for Nintendo or anyone for that matter to bring back local multiplayer instead of everything being online multiplayer only? You people are nuts.

And no they really aren't. Quantity wise maybe but practically everything exclusive to those consoles was forgettable garbage (Knack, Ryse, etc.) You had to wait until early '13 for the first decent exclusives to come out and everything else was either ports or 3rd party stuff that was already long on STEAM which was the better deal.

And why would you want Nintendo to make another GameCube? I understand it was an awesome system but guess what? IT DIDN'T SELL! You see how backwards your logic is?
Um did I ever say they didn't have problems? NOOOOOOOOOO, you just assumed I did.

You are nuts, I was never asking for Nintendo to do any such thing. PS4 and XB1 had plenty of good exclusive titles, their launch line-up was far better then Nintendo.

Gamecube did sell well actually, it certainly was not a failure like the Wii U, it just wasn't as big as the PS2 was that gen.

Not everyone plays games on PC, don't assume that they do.
You mean like how you assume everyone wants another GameCube? Double standards much?

And no they did not. They had forgettable garbage. PS4 had to wait until Infamous Second Son and that was average and forgettable. And I'm still waiting for XBone to give me one good exclusive that isn't a compilation disk.
You're the only one I see with double-standards here.

They did not have "forgettable garbage" just cause you say so, now repeat after me- "my opinions are NOT indisputable facts".

PS4 also has Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Until Dawn and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Xbox has good exclusives-Sunset Overdrive, Halo Wars 2, Gears 4, Dead Rising 3 and 4, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, Halo 5 and Re-Core.
Except in this case they ARE actual fact and they ARE forgettable garbage. No one but graphics whores cared about Ryse, Knack ended up being terrible, I doubt the sequel will be any better considering modern Sony's track record, and I can't remember anything about the other launch titles at all. That's how little of an impact these two companies left with their new consoles.

As for everything you listed: Killzone is another "me too" FPS trying to capitalize on the same crowd as Gears and HALO and quite frankly can go fuck itself, Uncharted has never been anything but the video game equivalent of a big budget Hollywood movie and people are only sold on it by spectacle alone. You actually stop and analyze that franchise and you'll see just how it does very little right.

Ratchet and Clank is an insult to the very franchise I bought Sony consoles for in the first place! No one asked for a damn reboot of the series, no one asked for it to also be a tie-in to a shitty movie that was cheaply handled by Sony as evidenced by the fact that they let the hack who directed Dylan Dog direct it as a result, and everything about it says "cynical cashgrab." As a long time R&C fan myself I CANNOT in good consciousness support this game and everything it stands for.

Gravity Rush 2 lost me the minute I heard there were forced stealth sections because they don't belong in this series. I don't care for Yakuza 0 because the series bores me and you have some nerve calling Until Dawn a game to begin with! Nothing that runs on the QuanticDreams school of game design can ever be called a game.

So yeah that just leaves Horizon and Bloodborne as the only things worth getting a PS4 for.

And as for the Xbone:

Sunset Overdrive turned out to be too obnoxious to be worth it judging from the Let's Play I watched of it. HALO wore out its welcome years ago, Gears can bite me, Quantum Break I've heard terrible things about from my circle of friends, Kilelr Instinct and Re-Core I can get on PC which defeats the purpose, and again you invalidate your claims by listing the worst Dead Rising game ever as an example of a "good exclusive." Dead Rising 4 is an insult to the series, even Yahtzee pointed out why.

So no, the only real reason for me to get an XBone is for Rare Replay. That's not enough to justify a purchase.

Throw in the fact that both consoles lack backwards compatibility, (unless you want to count that lame excuse of badly implemented BC the XBone has, I don't) and I am not convinced it's worth $400-$500 to buy any of these consoles trying to be PCs and that the PS4 only sells by pandering and manipulating the consumer.

And take notice how many of the those games you listed have realistic graphics or are in realistic settings? Yeah because that's what I want my video games to be: far more grounded in reality and not explore more creative and unique areas of art direction and game design and thus be completely unimmersive. I play games to escape reality after a hard day's work, not be reminded of it. If all people are going to use this hardware and graphics engines for is dull realistic visuals, bland character designs and shooters then that proves modern gamers and developers have absolutely no imagination.

I'll take Nintendo's bullshit if this how the competition is going to treat me. Especially Sony. I didn't buy a PS2 and a PS3 just for them to be a pandering company that lets mediocrity pass by and Microsoft lost my trust long ago.
Wow you just confirmed that you ARE a blatant Nintendo shill and fanboy, no it is NOT I repeat is NOT a fact that those games are" forgettable garbage" just because you think your opinion is the only correct one out there.

Xbox One DOES have backwards compatibility, you clearly did not do your research and no it is not "badly implemented" because you don't have to re-buy 360 games or anything like that.

Xbox One and PS4 are actually more like 300 dollars now.

No, not all the games i've listed have "realistic" graphics, now I know you're just being flat out lazy with your arguments, Graivty Rush, Ratchet and Clank and Sunset Overdrive certainly do not have "realistic" graphics style.

Also those games do not have "dull" visuals just cause you say so.

So if someone likes games you don't like, that automatically means they have no imagination? Wow that's some serious mental gymnastics right there, i've never seen someone dig themselves deeper to the extent that you are right now.

Nintendo is treating you FAR worse then Sony and Microsoft are, you're just too naive to realize it.

Sony does not let "mediocrity" pass by, that's just asinine, Microsoft i'll trust far more then Nintendo, at least Microsoft does not stupidity try and take down videos of people actually enjoying their games.

The notion that you cannot escape from reality by playing a game with realistic graphics is one of the dumbest fucking things i've ever heard, i've had hard days at work and I absolutely loved playing games like Far Cry 4 because of how over-the-top they were. So quit assuming everyone else thinks exactly the same way that you do.

Seriously stop being a troll and get lost, you contribute nothing to this site except whining anytime someone dares to criticize Nintendo, all you ever do is attack anyone who does not blindly worship at the altar of Nintendo and it's getting really fucking tiresome.

Killer Instinct and Re-Core might as well be Xbox One exclusive since they're only available on PC through the Windows Store, which many people absolutely hate and refuse to buy from.

Zelda can bite me and go fuck itself.

Until Dawn is a game, you have some nerve saying it is not a game just cause it's not your style.

Ratchet and Clank is not an "insult" that's just stupid beyond words, the movie was actually good.

Interesting how you haven't actually played most of the games yourself, you're just saying "my friends said it was bad", so you really can't judge them without playing them yourself.

DR3 and 4 are not "insults" just cause you say so, QD's games are games, deal with it.

That has to be hands down the most ignorant post i've ever seen on the internet, congradulations!

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
TheScorpion said:
darkrage6 said:
TheScorpion said:
Wow, I'm shocked Yahtzee wasn't as negative about this as I thought considering its a Nintendo game.

Though Yahtzee was recommending the WiiU version, I'm still debating on whether or not to get this now on the WiiU(despite it's declining FPS and my lack of attention towards it despite having a big backlog for it) or wait until like my birthday to get this on the Switch alongside this and maybe Super Mario Oddysey. Just hope the Switch won't crash and burn by that time of November though.

EDIT: Funny thing is that I was expecting Yahtzee to target Horizon Zero Dawn first but I guess that one might be next week. I'm mainly curious if that games supposed feminism controversy is meant to cover up that the game isn't very good or not.
It's a total non-troversy and it's not meant to "cover up" anything, such a claim is completely asinine considering that the game received very positive reviews.
Well, that's according to mainstream critics which give positive reviews to almost any mainstream title. Do you really think Yahtzee is going to think the same as them?
Um did I ever say that he would? NOOOOOOO

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
darkrage6 said:
TheScorpion said:
darkrage6 said:
TheScorpion said:
Wow, I'm shocked Yahtzee wasn't as negative about this as I thought considering its a Nintendo game.

Though Yahtzee was recommending the WiiU version, I'm still debating on whether or not to get this now on the WiiU(despite it's declining FPS and my lack of attention towards it despite having a big backlog for it) or wait until like my birthday to get this on the Switch alongside this and maybe Super Mario Oddysey. Just hope the Switch won't crash and burn by that time of November though.

EDIT: Funny thing is that I was expecting Yahtzee to target Horizon Zero Dawn first but I guess that one might be next week. I'm mainly curious if that games supposed feminism controversy is meant to cover up that the game isn't very good or not.
It's a total non-troversy and it's not meant to "cover up" anything, such a claim is completely asinine considering that the game received very positive reviews.
Well, that's according to mainstream critics which give positive reviews to almost any mainstream title. Do you really think Yahtzee is going to think the same as them?
Um did I ever say that he would? NOOOOOOO
EXACTLY! Even if Yahtzee is negative 90% of the time, You gotta admire his brutal honesty with the games flaws that most critics I feel neglect.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
Ratchet and Clank is not an "insult" that's just stupid beyond words, the movie was actually good.
You call ME a shill when you defend that junk? How much is Sony paying you? Yeah you just invalidated everything you said in my eyes with that.
Wow you're such a massive hypocrite, me liking a Sony game makes me a shill but you blindly defending Nintendo no matter does not make you a shill? I did not "completely invalidate" anything, but you sure as fuck did. Again, a game is not "junk" just cause you don't like it, though i'm sure that's a very difficult concept for you to understand.

You are completely insane, you're exactly the kind of fanboy Yahtzee made fun of in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv04aKBhZ9U

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
You call ME a shill when you defend that junk? How much is Sony paying you? Yeah you just invalidated everything you said in my eyes with that.
Wow you're such a massive hypocrite, me liking a Sony game makes me a shill but you blindly defending Nintendo no matter does not make you a shill? I did not "completely invalidate" anything, but you sure as fuck did. Again, a game is not "junk" just cause you don't like it, though i'm sure that's a very difficult concept for you to understand.

You are completely insane, you're exactly the kind of fanboy Yahtzee made fun of in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv04aKBhZ9U
It's not just me who doesn't like it. It's universally disliked by everyone I've talked to. And why shouldn't they hate it? It's directed by a hack. If this is how Sony is going to treat its properties then I'm not going to support them. All you do is show me just how simple minded and hypocritical Sony's fanbase are. Nintendo changes a franchise for the worse, ex: Metroid, everyone is ready to never forgive them or jump to ridiculous conclusions. But Sony changes a franchise for the worse, ex: God of War, everyone just lets them do their thing and claps like trained seals.
Wait, are you from the future?😱

Last time I checked, all God of War games released up until now were pretty much on-formula, all of them were well received by critics and fans, so you can't be talking about those games, so I'm just going to assume that you are talking about the new God of War set in Norse mythology. It's a bit quick to say that they are changing the franchise for the worse if the game hasn't been released yet and people haven't been able to play it yet, isn't it?

I'm assuming that with Nintendo changing Metroid for the worse, you are talking about Federation Force, a game which is already out, people have played and people have found lacking.

Mind you, I'm making assumptions here, if my assumptions were wrong, would you mind giving examples of both Nintendo and Sony changing said franchises for the worse? So that people can properly respond to what you are saying.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
LordTerminal said:
Were you and I watching the same gameplay demo at E3 last year? You can tell by the combat that it's trying so hard to rebrand the franchise as a Witcher clone. I can already tell you right now that it is going to suck but you're all going to love it anyway because it has God of War slapped on it. I've seen this before.

Also, how am I to take that comment about people saying Federation Force is lacking seriously when everyone has hated it since day 1? For all I know, you're all just saying that simply because it's not the Metroid you wanted.
Haha, wow, you Nintendo people really are something else. Here's a frog and a snail, I hope you like 'em; 🐸🐌

Ok then, if you can't take me saying that people found Federation Force lacking seriously, then please do explain what you meant when you said that Nintendo changed Metroid for the worse. Was it Other M then, and how they handled Samus? Or something else altogether?

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
LordTerminal said:
bluegate said:
LordTerminal said:
Were you and I watching the same gameplay demo at E3 last year? You can tell by the combat that it's trying so hard to rebrand the franchise as a Witcher clone. I can already tell you right now that it is going to suck but you're all going to love it anyway because it has God of War slapped on it. I've seen this before.

Also, how am I to take that comment about people saying Federation Force is lacking seriously when everyone has hated it since day 1? For all I know, you're all just saying that simply because it's not the Metroid you wanted.
Haha, wow, you Nintendo people really are something else. Here's a frog and a snail, I hope you like 'em; 🐸🐌

Ok then, if you can't take me saying that people found Federation Force lacking seriously, then please do explain what you meant when you said that Nintendo changed Metroid for the worse. Was it Other M then, and how they handled Samus? Or something else altogether?
..........yes...it was Other M....
Yeah, the Dead or Alive Beach Volley Ball team should never have been let within a mile of samus imo. Like they got their niche but don't let them near any iconic powerful female heroes

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:

It's not just me who doesn't like it. It's universally disliked by everyone I've talked to. And why shouldn't they hate it? It's directed by a hack. If this is how Sony is going to treat its properties then I'm not going to support them. All you do is show me just how simple minded and hypocritical Sony's fanbase are. Nintendo changes a franchise for the worse, ex: Metroid, everyone is ready to never forgive them or jump to ridiculous conclusions. But Sony changes a franchise for the worse, ex: God of War, everyone just lets them do their thing and claps like trained seals.
Just cause it's disliked by your friends does not mean anything, it's far from universally disliked considering it got a Cinemascore of B+, all you're doing is showing my how simple and hypocritical YOU and all the other Nintendo fanboys are, it's fucking pathetic.

Also you're asinine statements show how ignorant you are, considering that several people actually are expressing doubt about God of War's change in direction(Yahtzee was in fact one of those people). Sony treat's it's properties well, it's a far cry from how shitty Nintendo's treated Metroid and Star Fox, forcing one to have gimmicky motion controls and the other to be changed into a shitty co-op shooter. Sony changes franchises for the better for the most part, lately Nintendo is the one doing it for the worse, they screwed up Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi series pretty royally with the last few entries.

You're the only one I see "clapping like a trained seal" here as every single time Nintendo does something stupid you somehow find a way to blindly defend it and insult anyone who dares to criticize Nintendo. People like you give gamers a bad name.

The person directing the film is not a "hack" just cause you say so.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
bluegate said:
LordTerminal said:

I was actually willing to give Federation Force a chance and I felt very stupid for doing so as it was easily the worst game of 2016 that i've played so far, I hated it so much I returned it to the store for a full refund, something i've never done for a new release before.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
bluegate said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:
LordTerminal said:
darkrage6 said:

Wait, are you from the future?😱

Last time I checked, all God of War games released up until now were pretty much on-formula, all of them were well received by critics and fans, so you can't be talking about those games, so I'm just going to assume that you are talking about the new God of War set in Norse mythology. It's a bit quick to say that they are changing the franchise for the worse if the game hasn't been released yet and people haven't been able to play it yet, isn't it?

I'm assuming that with Nintendo changing Metroid for the worse, you are talking about Federation Force, a game which is already out, people have played and people have found lacking.

Mind you, I'm making assumptions here, if my assumptions were wrong, would you mind giving examples of both Nintendo and Sony changing said franchises for the worse? So that people can properly respond to what you are saying.

Man you have to the most ignorant person i've seen on the internet to date, you can't say a game will suck if you haven't even played it, I did give FF a chance and I turned out to hate it.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
So he's 'meh' on the Switch and 'pretty good' on Breath of the Wild. Sounds about right.

Breath of the Wild basically sounds like the kind of Zelda game I'd enjoy, but I'm not overly fond of Ganon once again not having any kind of personality. I DO happen to like that the story is your reward for playing through all the stuff that's lined up out there for you to do. I think the last Zelda game I actually enjoyed playing on a console was Winder Waker, so I'm actually fairly happy that there's a Zelda game I'm looking forward to playing. Now if only I could actually find a copy for the Wii U...

I think adopting a console early on is pointless, because that small library of games isn't going anywhere and systems tend to be hard to find around launch anyway. I see people standing outside Target at 5 am hoping to get this Zelda machine and I just can't understand why when the system will be vastly more available next year and have a stronger library. Not to mention, this is Nintendo we're talking about here, and it's also a handheld, so I'm pretty sure there will be a newer version of it down the line anyway and hopefully that one won't have JoyCon issues.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
kenu12345 said:
LordTerminal said:
bluegate said:
LordTerminal said:

Yeah, the Dead or Alive Beach Volley Ball team should never have been let within a mile of samus imo. Like they got their niche but don't let them near any iconic powerful female heroes
I'm pretty sure Team Ninja had nothing to do with the writting of Other M. That was all Yoshio Sakamoto's doing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Zetatrain said:
kenu12345 said:
LordTerminal said:
bluegate said:
LordTerminal said:

I'm pretty sure Team Ninja had nothing to do with the writing of Other M. That was all Yoshio Sakamoto's doing.
Exactly, people really need to stop blaming Team Ninja for Other M's writing. They have their own problems, but at least they're getting out of the rut. Same feeling as others, I have no need to get a Switch this early, since it has no games I am interested in. I got so many games on my PS4 any way that I'm gonna be busy for a god while.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
moody_mage said:
Hang on. Was that an actual positive review? I think it was - albeit grudgingly given.
Apparently he liked the game but didn't much care for the console.