Zero Punctuation: No Man's Sky

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Cid Silverwing said:
Fuck No Man's Sky, and this heinous ability of the AAA-industry to instantly cause everyone to go berserk with fantard zealotry every time they say the words "GET HYPED!" like it's some kind of magical trigger.

It's beginning to sound more and more like a space equivalent of walking simulators, and it was sold 100& on LIES. Like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I miss when games had SUBSTANCE.
Then, don't get sucked in. Game consoles have been around for almost 4.5 decades, so you literally have thousands of games to choose from that are already released. With the exclusion of the Neo Geo, there are systems that will allow you to play every 3rd and 4th generation console game; 5th and 6th gen titles are not that hard to find, along with the consoles themselves; and, 7th gen isn't quite dead yet.

Personally, I'm occasionally buying retail PC games that haven't played used since, probably, Windows XP (Possibly 98 for a few of them).

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Rituro said:
I am honestly shocked that it took this long for me to find a reviewer to make what I thought was the obvious comparison to Spore. Once again, I have wasted my life trusting anyone who doesn't offer their worldview through 2D stop-motion.

But seriously, how has the "NMS = SporeCraft" narrative not become a thing? It was my instant first impression upon learning about the game and I summarily dismissed the concept out of hand. Oh well; at least this review gave me a reason to try out Elite: Dangerous, though if that ends up being EVE-level inaccessible I'll be somewhat disappointed.
I've seen the comparison a lot actually - first heard it on Jimquisition when he was talking about how animals were kinda lego'd together from parts of other animals.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
RJ Dalton said:
In before Escapist is DDOSed for a negative review of No Man's Sky.
Just in time, as it seems. I don't think it was a coincidence that the site wasn't accessible the whole morning?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Janichsan said:
RJ Dalton said:
In before Escapist is DDOSed for a negative review of No Man's Sky.
Just in time, as it seems. I don't think it was a coincidence that the site wasn't accessible the whole morning?
Man, I thought I was joking.
I guess the butthurt fanboys weren't.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
See, if the tech to generate these planets and creatures had been added to another game, I think it's limitations have been more accepted.

Like, imagine if you were playing Mass Effect and all those random planets you could land on in the first game were procedurally generated when you went to land/explore.

It'd be a cool side addition that would make the universe feel a whole lot bigger, but when you get tired of the random exploring, you had a full game to go back to.

The other way I could see it working is 100% all-in on the discovery system by basically ditching the crafting system wholesale and making it a interstellar version of pokemon snap.

You get paid by taking pictures of new planets, locations on said planets and flora/fauna on the planets. For animals, you would try and get pictures of the different sides and during different actions(eating, sleeping, attacking).

This would give players a justification to go all nature documentary and stalk the freaky biped space-giraffe for quite some time, trying to catch it while it's eating something to finish your collection of images for that creature and get a big payday which would let you hit up new solar systems.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm if the Escapist was hit by a DDoS attack?

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
I don't know what it was but I was down on no man's sky from the start. I thought it was because I was going through a delayed grungy teenage phase good to see that I was right to be sceptical of this game.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
aegix drakan said:
Yup, the more I hear about No Man's Sky, the more I think it's apt to compare it to Early-Access Starbound.

...And that game took 3 years to finally have enough content to make it worth it. :s
At least Starbound has quirky races and whimsy and eyeball planets to make it worth it. Not that I'm defending Starbound too much, it still doesn't really have enough content to justify how long it stayed in development, but I have gotten much more mileage out of 15 bucks for that game than I think most people are getting out a Nomansky.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Igor-Rowan said:
To which I will answer, you better jump that bandwagon folk, SquareEnix is going to deliver the Final Fantasy that people always wanted if the trailers are to be believed
I...I...but..what?

Yes, IF THE TRAILERS ARE TO BE BELIEVED. Which is the whole point of being wary of the hype train.

You concur that its right for people to be wary about hype and trailers and then say "oh but you should believe THIS trailer because...for no reason at all actually, you just should!" what? And if history is to be believed, games that spend that long in development hell rarely (if ever?) turn out well.

I also concur with the other guy, this isn't the final fantasy I wanted. It's the Final Fantasy people who don't like the systems of the prior Final Fantasies wanted.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
The first two times I started the game, it crashed. The first instance took Windows with it. The whole game reeks of 'not ready yet'.

Controls are unintuitive, sound cuts out all too often. I want to explore. I don't want to be spending time gathering stuff, to charge other stuff, to let me gather stuff to charge and build other stuff.

Just let me get out into the vastness and see the worlds that are out there.

Instead it is back and forth. back and forth. The opening to this game just keeps making me tread over ground I've already walked.

I finally get out into space after the mind numbing tedium of repairing my ship, only to find I have to go back to that damn starting planet in order fuel the hyperdrive for the first time.

To cap it all off, all the resources I'd gathered from asteroids on the way to the space station the first time were wiped out because I had to gather them after getting the antimatter.

For a game that is meant to be about exploration, they just seem to put barrier after barrier in front of you to stop you doing it.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
elvor0 said:
Igor-Rowan said:
To which I will answer, you better jump that bandwagon folk, SquareEnix is going to deliver the Final Fantasy that people always wanted if the trailers are to be believed
I...I...but..what?

Yes, IF THE TRAILERS ARE TO BE BELIEVED. Which is the whole point of being wary of the hype train.

You concur that its right for people to be wary about hype and trailers and then say "oh but you should believe THIS trailer because...for no reason at all actually, you just should!" what?

I also concur with the other guy, this isn't the final fantasy I wanted. It's the Final Fantasy people who don't like the systems of the prior Final Fantasies wanted.
I didn't said any of that, |I said of all of the companies with a record of not screwing people in the trailers Square Enix is high upon that list, the trailers almost always match the final reaction towards the game, that's what I meant to say in the phrase right after the argument you cut from my text.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
aegix drakan said:
Yup, the more I hear about No Man's Sky, the more I think it's apt to compare it to Early-Access Starbound.

...And that game took 3 years to finally have enough content to make it worth it. :s
And doesn't cost $60 and never did.

Veerdin

Jan 29, 2014
Hey uh, I don't know what's going on here but I can't view the video... Or any videos here, for that matter. Whenever I try to watch it, I get this weird trailer for the Escapist website featuring Loading Ready Run, Jim Sterling and Moviebob...

You know, the people who haven't been on the site in around a year...

What gives? How come I can't view the video? Did the site actually get DDOSed or something?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I don't think Yahtzee reads these comments, but I have a suggestion:

Maybe he could do a full review of Undertale? It's been almost a year since it came out, so there shouldn't be too many worries about spoilers.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
votemarvel said:
The first two times I started the game, it crashed. The first instance took Windows with it. The whole game reeks of 'not ready yet'.

Controls are unintuitive, sound cuts out all too often. I want to explore. I don't want to be spending time gathering stuff, to charge other stuff, to let me gather stuff to charge and build other stuff.

Just let me get out into the vastness and see the worlds that are out there.

Instead it is back and forth. back and forth. The opening to this game just keeps making me tread over ground I've already walked.

I finally get out into space after the mind numbing tedium of repairing my ship, only to find I have to go back to that damn starting planet in order fuel the hyperdrive for the first time.

To cap it all off, all the resources I'd gathered from asteroids on the way to the space station the first time were wiped out because I had to gather them after getting the antimatter.

For a game that is meant to be about exploration, they just seem to put barrier after barrier in front of you to stop you doing it.
Biggest problem with it is that it's a small team making a AAA size game with the coding skills and experience of an indie team for a niche audience with a marketing budget of a large Rhode Island.

It was never going to live up to the promises it had, if only because "infinite possibilities" rougly translates to "excel sheet of possibilities that are randomly thrown together and we hope you don't look too closely at any particular planet".

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Glad I didn't buy into this one. My speculation funds have already gone into this site's favorite punching bag.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
This game plays like a tech demo.

I can see this being used as the engine for some cool roguelike games, but as it stands, this game is empty.