Zero Punctuation: No Man's Sky

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
This game plays like a tech demo.

I can see this being used as the engine for some cool roguelike games, but as it stands, this game is empty.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Makabriel said:
TT Kairen said:
Makabriel said:
The thing is, in every interview, you can see that he's mentally adding the "but" at the end of every statement. Anyone with any kind of talent at reading people can tell he was hedging anytime he said anything.

"Can you play with your friends?"

Slight pause with a "Yeah, but" look on his face. "Yes"

You can tell there was more to it.
More to what? There isn't "more" to a flat out lie. You can't "sort of" play with your friends, or "sort of" interact with other players, you literally cannot see another human in-game. He has that "eeehhhh" look on his face because he knows he's full of shit, but he isn't completely committed to outright lying about his game to sell it.
My guess is "Yes, but it's not quite ready for release yet. Probably something that will come in a later content patch"

Not something you want to say with this current generation's gamers. May as well bring the rope to hang yourself with.
So why say "yes" in the first place, you don't say "yes" to a feature in a game not yet released unless you are damn sure it's going to be in the game at launch and when it's proven that your "yes" wasn't the truth at all the correct response is to say "sorry, we couldn't get it to work so it had to be cut" not dance around the issue in ways that would make Peter Molyneux blush

hell I like the game, but lets not kid ourselves, Sean Murray lied about this game, he directly contributed to the hype surrounding the game growing to impossible levels

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
warmachine said:
Can anyone confirm if the Escapist was hit by a DDoS attack?
It seems like no one wants to confirm or deny anything (just like Hello Games)

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
totheendofsin said:
So why say "yes" in the first place, you don't say "yes" to a feature in a game not yet released unless you are damn sure it's going to be in the game at launch and when it's proven that your "yes" wasn't the truth at all the correct response is to say "sorry, we couldn't get it to work so it had to be cut" not dance around the issue in ways that would make Peter Molyneux blush

hell I like the game, but lets not kid ourselves, Sean Murray lied about this game, he directly contributed to the hype surrounding the game growing to impossible levels
Jim Sterling does a great video regarding the "Did he lie" controversy that can explain it way better than I could ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2qKAX_QaoI

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Makabriel said:
totheendofsin said:

Jim Sterling does a great video regarding the "Did he lie" controversy that can explain it way better than I could ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2qKAX_QaoI
I think people are getting too caught up on the semantics of what constitutes a "lie." Even giving Hello Games a lot of leeway due to the way things invariably and inevitably change between promotion and release of a game, I don't think it can be successfully argued that they weren't disingenuous. Whether anyone wants to call that "lying" is hardly important. They mislead, and seemingly with deliberate intent. It's one thing for one's ambition to outstrip their ability to produce; if you step up and own this fact people will forgive you. It's another to continuously misrepresent that you can't deliver what you are saying you can.

All that said, I have nearly 60 hours in NMS and enjoy the game. I still think they were being dishonest about the product though and that people are playing semantics saying that no lies occurred.

Deathhappens

Sep 25, 2014
Thaaaaaaank you for mentioning Spore. Seriously, it's what I keep telling everyone whenever they bring the game up. You'd think more people would remember that fiasco, but nope, the Internet's collective amnesia struck again.
That said, from all accounts Spore was ten times as entertaining as NMS can ever aspire to be, notably larger budget notwithstanding.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Gorrath said:
I think people are getting too caught up on the semantics of what constitutes a "lie." Even giving Hello Games a lot of leeway due to the way things invariably and inevitably change between promotion and release of a game, I don't think it can be successfully argued that they weren't disingenuous. Whether anyone wants to call that "lying" is hardly important. They mislead, and seemingly with deliberate intent. It's one thing for one's ambition to outstrip their ability to produce; if you step up and own this fact people will forgive you. It's another to continuously misrepresent that you can't deliver what you are saying you can.

All that said, I have nearly 60 hours in NMS and enjoy the game. I still think they were being dishonest about the product though and that people are playing semantics saying that no lies occurred.
The best part of that video is the comparison to Bioshock Infinite. There were game play walkthroughs and complete concepts the were shown that never made it anywhere near release. And no one really cared, simply because it was a great game. Barely anyone batted an eye about it. I think if NMS was "Better" the same thing would have happened.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Makabriel said:
Gorrath said:

The best part of that video is the comparison to Bioshock Infinite. There were game play walkthroughs and complete concepts the were shown that never made it anywhere near release. And no one really cared, simply because it was a great game. Barely anyone batted an eye about it. I think if NMS was "Better" the same thing would have happened.
The big difference I see between Bioshock and NMS is that, at least as far as I know, the Bioshock team didn't out and out say you could do things that they knew you'd never be able to do. I don't care that NMS has no multiplayer. Frankly, what would anyone even DO with multiplayer in NMS? There's no mechanic for interacting with other players even if you could see them but one shouldn't say that you can and will totally be able to do stuff that you won't be able to do if you know or highly suspect those things won't be in the game.

All that said, I do agree that NMS wouldn't be catching a lot of flack for missing stuff if what was left was a really good game. But there's the rub, a LOT of what was promised (but not the multiplayer, imo) would have made for a better game. More interactive animals and scenery, complex crafting, huge fleet battles, effective cross-system trading, strong factional benefits and drawbacks were all confirmed to be in the game to one degree or another and all are more or less not present at all. If some of these things had been missing the game could still be great but missing ALL of them really hurts the gameplay. It's one thing to miss out implementing some things you wanted to do, it's another to bang on about a bunch of stuff that you know or should have known would not really be in the game. Honestly the lack of multiplayer is the LEAST of NMS' issues.

That's a long winded way of me saying that I agree, had NMS been great even if it was missing "promised" content, there wouldn't be near this level of shitstorm. But then the whole reason the game is kinda shit to most people is, in part, precisely because that stuff is missing.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Can?t resist: I knew it!
Never bought into this game. From the first video I thought of it as an even more boring X and X burned me hard while it is thought of a game where you can actually do stuff? not that I ever got around to that.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Deathhappens said:
Thaaaaaaank you for mentioning Spore. Seriously, it's what I keep telling everyone whenever they bring the game up. You'd think more people would remember that fiasco, but nope, the Internet's collective amnesia struck again.
That said, from all accounts Spore was ten times as entertaining as NMS can ever aspire to be, notably larger budget notwithstanding.
The main fiasco from Spore was actually the DRM moreso then the actual game, mainly because EA forced the DRM into the game against Wil Wright's wishes, so half a million copies were pirated in protest.

Veerdin

Jan 29, 2014
It's been three days and I still can't view any videos on the site. They all just play this stupid advert for the site I'm already on.

Can somebody please help?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I know Yahtzee does a lot of digging to find things to lampoon about the games in Zero Punctuation, so it's refreshing to see in No Man's Sky that it had plenty worth lampooning all on its own.

As a result, his look at No Man's Sky was much less a running joke about bad games and much more a spot-on review!

Egads, did we ever have high hopes for this game!
Egads, is it ever true that a game of infinite content is sure to outlast its gameplay!
Egads, was he ever preaching to the choir on this one!

Very fun video overall. Very bland game overall.

Personally, my biggest grudge against No Man's Sky is the absolute patronizing lack of difficulty. Even the sentinel's wanted meter has been nerfed to irrelevance. I like the "Baby's First Elite" conclusion.

normalguycap

Oct 11, 2009
Knew it from the beginning and vindication is sweet. Fuck this stupid and pointless game. Just a first time dev studio who didn't really know what they were doing. Eye's bigger than stomach and didn't have the balls to say no. Well now they can eat shit for being liars on top of everything.

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
i get the impression they started the hype train to early and it reached peak before they had implemented any of the promises they made. then some programmer quoted 3 more years before any of that stuff would be ready, so instead of doing a duke nukem they just put out what they had. which is crap.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
I will be surprised if they are not sued into insolvency for false advertisement long before they can ever figure out how to put the gameplay into the code, and keep it stable. Especially since no one is going to mistake them for Firaxis/Bethesda, who at least are intentionally witholding parts of the game to make their DLC a "must have".