Zero Punctuation: Nom Nom Galaxy & Freedom Planet

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
sageoftruth said:
Nazulu said:
Ha! And I avoided Freedom Galaxy because I saw some of those cut-scenes, now that I know there is a classic mode I'll check it out again. Does anyone know if they talk during the levels?

Funny as usual Yahtzee
Same here. I forgot what made me give it a chance. Anyway, regarding your question about characters talking. It's basically reduced to little sound bites every once in awhile during certain points in levels, although you may get a bit annoyed by Lilac's tendency to yell "Cyclone" every time you do her spinning double jump. Otherwise, voice bits are usually just thrown in as a short 2-second flavor quote wherever its appropriate. Since they tend to favor cheese over drama, unlike in the story, I don't find it too jarring.
Really appreciate the response. I went a head and looked more into it before, and the voices were meh, but I could tolerate that. What I'm surprisingly disappointed by though is the music. It's very rare for me to find that annoying in a game.

I guess I'll wait another day.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I ended up really enjoying Freedom Planet, although the story really feels like its missing half of itself, which might be a good thing cause what we do have feels bad and I can't imaging that doubling it would make it any better.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
why the hell are you accusing a game to be bad because it has voice acting? That doesn't even come close to giving the game a fair chance.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
"President Trump" Oh god, do NOT say that out loud, or it will end up happening, like Beetlejuice. You know the premise of Beetlejuice, saying his name 3 times makes him appear. I hear tell they're in pre-production of a sequel to Beetlejuice. [looks around, sees no Beetlejuice] DAMMIT, IT DIDN'T WORK!

And did one of you guys catch what Yahtzee said about Freedom Planet, towards the end there? It sounded like "Are we playing as someone's first ________?", but I didn't understand that last word.

Parama

Aug 15, 2013
As someone who loves Freedom Planet... yeah, those gripes with the story are all fair. It's not great.
I don't agree with Yahtzee saying the game is just Sonic 3 though, it's got elements of Sonic games but it takes a lot from genesis-era games in general and mashes them together into its own thing.
And it's just, really good, that's important too.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Nazulu said:
sageoftruth said:
Nazulu said:
Ha! And I avoided Freedom Galaxy because I saw some of those cut-scenes, now that I know there is a classic mode I'll check it out again. Does anyone know if they talk during the levels?

Funny as usual Yahtzee
Same here. I forgot what made me give it a chance. Anyway, regarding your question about characters talking. It's basically reduced to little sound bites every once in awhile during certain points in levels, although you may get a bit annoyed by Lilac's tendency to yell "Cyclone" every time you do her spinning double jump. Otherwise, voice bits are usually just thrown in as a short 2-second flavor quote wherever its appropriate. Since they tend to favor cheese over drama, unlike in the story, I don't find it too jarring.
Really appreciate the response. I went a head and looked more into it before, and the voices were meh, but I could tolerate that. What I'm surprisingly disappointed by though is the music. It's very rare for me to find that annoying in a game.

I guess I'll wait another day.
Must be a taste thing. The music was a strong point for me, but I can sort of guess how it might be a turn off for others.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
You know what game has you dress up like a furry ... only it's just the mask, and you're killing the masses in more ways than one?
Hotline Miami ... and boy does it hold up today. Surprised that PAYDAY 2 has hardly any masks reflecting on that game.
Oh man! Now you've got me picturing Hotline Miami with everyone in the game being a furry. That would be hilarious. If anything, Hotline Miami needs a furry level.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
sageoftruth said:
Must be a taste thing. The music was a strong point for me, but I can sort of guess how it might be a turn off for others.
It's definitely a taste thing. The musics fast and suits action, but at the same time I just find it way too soft. Like the progressive rock bands moving to the 80s, it loses it's balls and starts to be described as whimsical. It takes me out of the action instead :p

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Thanatos2k said:
You would have had to play Terraria lately to know that though. Someone who got their fill of Terraria a year and a half ago has played a very different Terraria.
I thought they always had the bosses from the start. To be fair though, I only started putting the effort in during the last year. Your logic is sound.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Logience said:
why the hell are you accusing a game to be bad because it has voice acting? That doesn't even come close to giving the game a fair chance.
He does mention that you should definitely play the mode where you don't get the story. The voice acting must have been atrociously awful and annoying so as to alienate him. Sonic level of bad. And the story was also noted as a problem.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That burn at the end...epic. Just epic. Well done. :)

I'm actually kind of curious to try that Freedom Planet game now. Not curious enough to buy a Wii U for it, but I wouldn't mind checking it out if they decided to release it for the PS4 on the store or something.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
LordTerminal said:
::head hit desk:: Yahtzee, Sonic 3 is not the last good game in the franchise. It was Sonic Lost World. But of course you won't admit that because you're the snob that badmouthed Sonic Generations of all things so who are you to judge?
He's the guy that does this for a living. I'm the other guy, the one who doesn't. I also think there's nary a 3D Sonic game that isn't crap.

Obbi

May 7, 2008
Evonisia said:
Logience said:
He does mention that you should definitely play the mode where you don't get the story. The voice acting must have been atrociously awful and annoying so as to alienate him. Sonic level of bad. And the story was also noted as a problem.
I watched the trailers for Freedom Planet when it first came out, and was pretty excited for a few seconds because I was interested in seeing a Sonic 3 type of game show up again.

Then the voice acting kicked in. The voice acting amplified just how cringe-worthy the story was to me, so I passed on getting it. I'd have to rethink it with that Classic Mode thing being there, though.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Gotta admit, I didn't see that last bit coming, though I sure as hell hope it never comes to pass...

Darth_Payn said:
And did one of you guys catch what Yahtzee said about Freedom Planet, towards the end there? It sounded like "Are we playing as someone's first ________?", but I didn't understand that last word.
A-Hem, if I may put my knowledge cap on (it has fox ears!), I believe Yahtzee was referring to a "fursona". To explain (albeit in a simplified manner), fursonas are created by fans of anthropomorphic animals or "furries" as a sort of character to represent themselves. Basically, it's like having your role-playing character... only it's a humanoid animal.

The Sonic the Hedgehog series is a big hit with furries, though like with the series itself, there are the crazy ones who ruin it for everyone else.

Hope that helps, and if anyone else is curious, I can point to where you can find more details.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Evonisia said:
Logience said:
What the hell is wrong with this game in particular having a story?

Also, don't you dare utter the words "Sonic level of bad".

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Logience said:
Evonisia said:
Logience said:
What the hell is wrong with this game in particular having a story?

Also, don't you dare utter the words "Sonic level of bad".
Having a story? Nothing.

From what Yahtzee said in the video, it seems to be a crap story made highly irritating by the terrible voice acting. I don't think he mentioned the characters speaking during gameplay, though, which is probably why he recommended the levels-only mode.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Yeah, not going to lie, I thought the story in Freedom Planet was very...fanfiction-y, if that make any sense.

In fact, the game even started out as a Sonic fangame (with the main character even being a hedgehog), but eventually diverted enough to the point to where it is now.

And yes, the quality of the voice acting varies greatly from character to character. I thought the main character's actress did alright, and so did the main villain. Everyone else probably could have at least used some better audio equipment, though.

All that said, the gameplay, design, and music are still fantastic, and I'd still put in my top 10 games from last year, which is way more than I can say for Sonic Boom. Hell, even Freedom Planet's story, for all of its faults, is still better than the story in Sonic Boom.