Zero Punctuation: Nom Nom Galaxy & Freedom Planet

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Nom Nom Galaxy & Freedom Planet

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Nom Nom Galaxy and Freedom Planet.

Watch Video

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Man...That was one topical ending... :eek:

Seriously, I was actually about to be one of those people telling him to ease up before he said those two words.
Now, back to acquiring funds to move my friends out the country if such a situation comes to pass >.>

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Terraria actually has progression though, with various bosses and lands to conquer in an almost castlevania style freedom of approach. That is the only reason i prefer it over minecraft, having bought Terraria twice and Minecraft never.
So is Nom-nom a recommendation? I have been giving it the wandering eye recently, due to an online sale.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
I'm currently playing through freedom planet and it is awesome. Glad that it is getting some publicity. Story and characters are kind of dumb but also charming in the silly sonic way. Plus there are some parts that genuinely made me laugh. Plus if you hate the story you can just skip the cutscenes and just play classic mode.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Freedom Planet is indeed the best Sonic game since the mid 90s, and might actually be better than Sonic 2 or S3&K.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Terraria actually has progression though, with various bosses and lands to conquer in an almost castlevania style freedom of approach. That is the only reason i prefer it over minecraft, having bought Terraria twice and Minecraft never.
So is Nom-nom a recommendation? I have been giving it the wandering eye recently, due to an online sale.
You would have had to play Terraria lately to know that though. Someone who got their fill of Terraria a year and a half ago has played a very different Terraria.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
HI think this is the most annoyed Yahtzee's been with a game in a long while... which I'm not complaining about, because it makes for an entertaining review when the reviewer obviously has some major problems with a game and put their feelings into words.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Becoming fond of the idea of "President Trump" isn't due to not expecting much. It's due to not expecting much BECAUSE THE SURFACE IS SO FASCINATING. Freedom Planet looks cute and colorful, so people forgive its voice acting and cliches as if they're children watching a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Donald Trump sounds incredibly strong-willed, so people forgive his hatred of everyone except WASPs like him. You know who made it to countrywide leadership by making impassioned speeches about reincarnating as the greatest country and blaming problems on those with outsider ancestry? ADOLF HITLER.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ha! And I avoided Freedom Galaxy because I saw some of those cut-scenes, now that I know there is a classic mode I'll check it out again. Does anyone know if they talk during the levels?

Funny as usual Yahtzee

Candescence

Jan 7, 2011
Eh, I think Yahtzee has way too high standards when it comes to Freedom Planet. I actually liked the story and the voice acting, I've seen worse from far more 'professional' productions. The story has its flaws, but I'll defend its quality to the death, damn it.

But, yeah, it's a fantastic game all-round, one of my 2014 GOTYs.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
It's pretty clear that he has never really played Terraria much.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
TheYeIIowDucK said:
Trump is the best thing to have happened to American politics in almost 20 years
Indeed. I hope one day to man one of the many walls he plans to construct.

Now to decide if I want to spend my summer in Arizona on the look out for Mexicans, or in Iraq avoiding ISIS.

Also if Freedom Planet has actual good gameplay I might check it out, of course playing Classic Mode.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
You really don't understand Terraria do ya Yahtzee. It was sorta irritating to see you place it on the same level as Ark :I

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Fantastic review. And it'd be interesting to see a President Trump - from a distance.

Canada'd probably be fucked, though.

Also, what happened to this week's Extra Punctuation? Did Yahtzee not do one, or is there a glitch somewhere and I can't see it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Nazulu said:
Ha! And I avoided Freedom Galaxy because I saw some of those cut-scenes, now that I know there is a classic mode I'll check it out again. Does anyone know if they talk during the levels?

Funny as usual Yahtzee
Same here. I forgot what made me give it a chance. Anyway, regarding your question about characters talking. It's basically reduced to little sound bites every once in awhile during certain points in levels, although you may get a bit annoyed by Lilac's tendency to yell "Cyclone" every time you do her spinning double jump. Otherwise, voice bits are usually just thrown in as a short 2-second flavor quote wherever its appropriate. Since they tend to favor cheese over drama, unlike in the story, I don't find it too jarring.

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
LordTerminal said:
::head hit desk:: Yahtzee, Sonic 3 is not the last good game in the franchise. It was Sonic Lost World. But of course you won't admit that because you're the snob that badmouthed Sonic Generations of all things so who are you to judge?
Aren't you the obsessive that went into apoplectic fury every time Yahtzee insulted Nintendo, to the point you were eventually permanently banned after declaring you were done with ZP, and then came back on an almost identical user account, only to keep on saying the same old things for years since?