Zero Punctuation: Oblivion

Kaewt

Jun 8, 2008
'Role playing' have lost their meaning after these games started rolling out, friends of the genre; please don't use oblivion as your idol for gaming prestige. I reccomend an older but more sattisfying game, called diablo II (hardcore battle.net) You shall be immersed like never before..

Zaklog the Great

Nov 15, 2007
Could someone please tell me what program Yahtzee uses to do his stills? I know he makes the movies with Windows Movie Maker, but its the creation of the individual frames that I'm thinking about here. Or is that a part of WMM as well? As you might guess, I'm considering making a short along similar lines myself, not a review in this case, and I doubt I will acheive ZP's widespread popularity, but it would be fun in any case.

Any thoughts? I suppose a PM might be appropriate if possible. I'm not sure if that's a function of these forums.

cashew

Jun 8, 2008
Its true what he said about how you dont get immersed in the game. and its probably because they tried to fix something from morrowind which didnt need fixing, and oblivion gates are repetative.
If you think that rpg had problems, try two worlds. The worst game ive ever played to this day.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
cashew said:
Its true what he said about how you dont get immersed in the game. and its probably because they tried to fix something from morrowind which didnt need fixing, and oblivion gates are repetative.
If you think that rpg had problems, try two worlds. The worst game ive ever played to this day.
Thank you so much! Finally someone who agrees with me that it's something they tried to fix that was in Morrowind but wasn't broken!

And yes, Two Worlds is aweful.

JohnnyRyan99

Jun 1, 2008
If u go into the desert its all sand... u go into the arctic its all ice... forest, tree's.....What the hell did u expect them to do with the landscape, they tried to make it real so they kept the land realistic.... Whoever wants one of those games with every biome in the world mixed into one rediculous world go buy some fantasy shite... Dickheads

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
JohnnyRyan99 said:
If u go into the desert its all sand... u go into the arctic its all ice... forest, tree's.....What the hell did u expect them to do with the landscape, they tried to make it real so they kept the land realistic.... Whoever wants one of those games with every biome in the world mixed into one rediculous world go buy some fantasy shite... Dickheads
Since we got humanoid cats and lizards walking around and people that can summon big monsters made out of stones that are kept together by some weird wind power and can shoot lightning at you, I thought this was fantasy?

Jay23L

Apr 23, 2008
I like this review, knowing the awesomeness it oozes (with it's problems too). But I don't like my computer. Cause it crashes when I play this.

*sob*

Lord Chaos 2

Jun 7, 2008
conqueror Kenny said:
Lord Chaos 2 said:
That the game DOES come with the modding ability is a big plus and should count in any review of the game.
Well the game does have a modding capability but it its only available on p.c. So if someone is reviewing the ps3/360 version then it wont get a mention.
I agree. But he was reviewing the PC version.

Johnny Dalton

Jun 8, 2008
I'd think he'd like the shivering isle more... i mean come on it has sean conery (lord sheogorath) in it... and of course everyone is insane...

Jun 9, 2008
I loved that game! I didnt really play the PC though I played with the 360. The only being like 5 voice actors got annoying but you get to create your own character, explore the map, steal stuff, join an assasin clan, and become a deidric god! It may be a bit repeated but its fun! Its extremely satifying when you kick the everloveing crap out of gaurds as well =D

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I'm inclined to believe that The Protagonist was in jail for murdering all the children in the land.

ChemicalCutthroat

Dec 17, 2007
I honestly thought yahtzee would be part of the dark brotherhood
but yeah i have noticed that the voices are almost all the same, there seem to be 2 male voice actors and one female, i can understand pasting random voices to the unnimprtant npcs but they need to mix it up a bit in the future
(PS be a theif or join the dark brotherhood next time, it has to be one of the best parts of the game)

DaDude9211

Feb 18, 2008
Soooooo long after the release, didn't see it coming. I'm guessing he didn't play it long, as he didn't trash the leveling system at all. Although his statements about the landscape being the same were some what annoying. Cryodiil has a complete geographical set up, it has almost every land formation short of mesas and plateaus. There is a mountainous region to the north, you have a coastal plain in the south west and in the south east you have a swampier area, with the central area being hilly, and the dew east being outright inhospitable. Those are just in the main game area, this doesn't include the caves, various side-quest locations, or inside oblivion gates.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
Immersion is my primary complaint as well. Based on what I'd heard, I expected this to be the most immersible RPG, nay, game of ANY genre, EVER. What we get instead is landscapes that are impressive up close but look horrible from a distance, zooming in unnaturally on characters faces when we talk to them as the world slows down...

Another complaint I have is the character creation screen. They give you all these options for the head, but put you under the worst lighting possible while doing so. I second guessed every shading decision I made, and I consider myself lucky that my character doesn't look deathly ill all the time.

I originally made a character with a ponytail, but started all over again once I realized that the ponytail would melt into the body if using the third person. For a game that repeatedly got 10's for graphics, that's just horrible. The game is best in first person anyway, I suppose, but I expected more.

I'm also disappointed that while I can grab at stuff, it's nearly impossible to drag corpses. I'm aware this is an odd complaint, but I thought it might be fun to push a felled foe off of a cliff and found it exceedingly difficult. Given that I'm supposed to be playing as a buff hero, I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to grab a lifeless body by their arm and drag them somewhere, but no.

This game seriously goes out of it's way to remind you that you are in a game world full of game limitations, and it's not the experience I had hoped for.

Olivia75

Jun 10, 2008
Awesome review, right on the money, Yahtzee. Again.

I loved Morrowind, but Oblivion was such a lame follow-up. ("Follow-down" might be more accurate.)

That's exactly our biggest complaint - the scenery. Might sound picky to someone after a dungeon-crawl hack-slash, but to me and mine, we like immersion. Morrowind had it. Someone in the art department spent an aeon on morrowind, figuring out what plants grew in what regions, what fungus resembled what other fungus, the types of plants and vegetation that would grow in each separate region, and that is a level of detail I really appreciate. That, Oblivion was totally without.

Ditto to the characters. We LIKED that Morrowind had people ambling about saying "outlander, you are wounded," or "we welcome you freely" or whatever, as you walked past. But in Oblivion they just talk without being asked - "i saw a mud crab recently." My god, call the feds. Who, on any planet, talks like that?

Also, if they rendered the cities from the outside we could have still had levitate spells. And WTF was up with the telekinesis in Ob?? I loved it in Morrowind. It nearly killed me in Oblivion.

Horses were cool, but who cares - if you can't fight from the back of a horse, you don't want a horse. (Plus it kept getting gored by minotaurs and periodically running away anyway.)

enchantment was retarded in oblivion, but excellent in morrowind.

I read somewhere about the development of Oblivion, with the AI causing problems such as guards on duty would get hungry and abandon their posts and go hunting... and so other guards would arrest them for deserting and so on. Or they would steal apples and get arrested... THAT sounds like a game i want to play. Why did they take that out? It sounds awesome.

I bought Oblivion the minute it was available. I mean, i was down there at midnight when the store had them on the day the xbox arrived and all, because i thought it would surpass Morrowind. But i got a bit over it a bit quick. Mod up Morrowind a bit and it's still light years ahead. Man, i'm STILL playing morrowind. I've been throught the main story a hundred times over, but it's still fun to waltz about in that world. There are still things in there that surprise me.

Anyway, to cut a fat story thing, i dug the review, and i wholeheartedly agree with the whole thing.

cheers.

tbssage

Jun 10, 2008
Flatout Oblivion was a high graphics high programing, high on somthing atempt to strike the morowind bug again, however the epic falure came in when little to no atention was given to the UI, combat system, spell system, items or anything else that actualy makes an RPG worth playing. sure they where there but lets face it, they took a hoped up cracked out version of Microsoft visual earth and slapped a UI on it. the graphics could blow away a blind guys seeing eye dog across the room but who gives a shit when its not worth playing for more then 10 mints. personally I lost all interest when it became 99% apparent that the whole game world looked the same, the only time I had fun was in the iliad (whatever the fuck???) ruins, dungeon diving. In fact I did that for like..... 10 hours strait, 100% total disregard to any story and what gave you. then I got board of those places, and it had alot to do with the fact that everything you faut scaled to your level, so nothing felt like a real chalange and all the dam loot scaled with it, and at total random so nothing was worth going and getting. so I just shelfed the game tell the expansion came out.

now having been a hardcore morowind junkie who played ,beat and moded the game 9 different ways to Sunday and invented more insane spells and enchantments then I care to recant in one siting, I can say that "Seogorath" was spot on back to basics "do you remember this game" type shit I was looking for. two different sides of an island controlled by the god of maddens with there own distinct and amazing looks and feel. along with a twisted story, in your face voice acting and art that would make any modern art show look classic, and it WORKED.

so personally I think if Mr.Yahtzee Croshaw had an immersion problem, he was playing the wrong game, or at lest the wrong part of it. I say this to everyone if you Go get oblivion with the expansion and then swim out to the island thats the portal into the expansion world, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

but it is kinda sad that they had to add a whole section to the game to make it good.

ultimately what really scares me is, the fate of fallout 3 is in the hands of the same developers..........