Zero Punctuation: Oblivion

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Surprisingly good for a RPG review by Yahtzee. What I like about ZP is the way he produces 5 minutes of pure bile and still is able to zero in on a games weaknesses, making the column both funny and true. The other RPG reviews however, especially The Witcher but Mass Effect as well, turned out to be more like a general "Why Yahtzee doesn't like RPG's" metacritical rant.

Still, I don't see it as an essential bad thing Oblivion doesn't mix landscapes like Word of Warcraft. I mean for gods sake, take a look at http://mapwow.com and tell me this doesn't look like a quilt of bad design choices. A snowy rural area right beside a volcanic and magma-strewn wasteland? Heard that sound? That was a geologists head exploding.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Anaphyis said:
Surprisingly good for a RPG review by Yahtzee. What I like about ZP is the way he produces 5 minutes of pure bile and still is able to zero in on a games weaknesses, making the column both funny and true. The other RPG reviews however, especially The Witcher but Mass Effect as well, turned out to be more like a general "Why Yahtzee doesn't like RPG's" metacritical rant.

Still, I don't see it as an essential bad thing Oblivion doesn't mix landscapes like Word of Warcraft. I mean for gods sake, take a look at http://mapwow.com and tell me this doesn't look like a quilt of bad design choices. A snowy rural area right beside a volcanic and magma-strewn wasteland? Heard that sound? That was a geologists head exploding.
welcome to magic and all its wonders.

I love most of the WoW landscapes (first time flying through thousand needles on a wyvern? pure awe) but some like desolace made me want to start a new toon and forget that place... desolace is desolate... we get it... so stop making me run a thousand miles and put some damn features on that blasted rock, i know you can do it damn you!

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Well, specifically speaking, I don't think yahtzee was mentioning the placement of the environments as much as he was the diversity. I won't blindly stand up for WoW on this subject. It is ludicrous that such climate diversity could exist along a single latitudinal line, but then again, you do have to remember that its a game, and certain discrepancies are allowable.

I'm not saying Oblivion should have had a snow capped mountain and every other conceivable climate on its map, but a little more diversity than meadows and forests would have been enjoyable.

AlphaWolf13

Mar 20, 2008
True, the landscape never really bothered me in Oblivion...
It just got... boring... Killing after killing after killing... Eh... The story doesn't really drag you in enough and... Well...

I don't know, it just got dull.

k1022

Jun 18, 2008
A brief interruption into the giant stroke fest....

Landscape: Yeah, it's repetitive. But keep in mind the game is only 16 sq. miles large. They couldn't make it like Two worlds (the biggest fucking pile of shit for a game ever) which had a snow region bordering a desert bordering a hellish demon area bordering grassy meadows. If you can recall morrowind had about the same amount of terrain variety. Oblivion has a snowy/rocky northern region, sandy coasts, forest-y center and a swampy south. In morrowind, yeah, some areas had trees and some had mushrooms, but everything was still the same grey color....Not to say morrowind isnt a great game.

Voice acting: Yeah, it's bad....but again, play some games of the same genre and compare. Oh, and if you rely on voice acting to get you "immersed" into a game world, I'm not sure how you played any rpg before 2003 (morrowind included).

Some positive aspects Yahtzee failed to mention: The variety of quests, the incredible guild sidepaths/storylines, the improved combat, hotkey functions, ease of use, etc.

It makes me wonder if he even played this game for more than 5 fucking minutes. Actually, I honestly don't think he spent more than 10 minutes out of the sewers. He failed to mention specific instances like he does with most games....

Perhaps he should go back to reviewing his run of the mill piece of shit mindless shoot'em ups (painkiller, I'm looking at you).

stfugtfo

Jun 23, 2008
um maybe if you retards actually PLAYED oblivion you'd have a better idea of your mental failure...

Ok, let's talk about the game then...

Leveling system: I see nothing wrong with it, actually, I find it quite simple to use compared to other RPGs where all you do is keep hacking away until you fill up an EXP bar or some other stupid shit like that, now, atleast oblivion's is pretty decent, you keep improving yourself through your skills, you gain more experience, no shit! are you kidding me!?!??! leveling up when you've improved, naw really? wow that's so shitty...NOT...

Oblivion should be based in a meadow...um what the fuck? No I don't think you've really actually played after the first hmm thirty minutes? Yeah, maybe because you're a beer bong frat boy who just loves to shoot people on multiplayer for that instant gratification, you forget that sometimes you need, oh, what's that word...Patience???

Ok, sometimes oblivion glitches, like someone getting stuck on stairs, or in a wall, or a quest won't update, but what about all those gears of war gay glitches where the game is no longer fun, but punishment to play, huh? Every game has its glitches, deal with it and dont cry like a little ***** when something goes wrong...maybe you should have prepared better by saving more often, maybe you should have expected that having such a huge world to explore, SOMETHING might load wrong huh, or, I forgot, you're too remedial to understand the meaning of complex games that take more than six hours to complete.

Oblivion looks all the same...um...what the fuck? southern bogs, northern snowy mountains, western steppes, and coastlines and forest in the middle, how the fuck is that the same, are you blind or something? Oh yeah, maybe you don't realize that to create a more "realistic" world, or atleast where the proportions aren't completely dilluted, you need to repeat some of the scenery for a little while, not like you're going to call something a forest when you can easily clear it in about a minute...that would be fucking stupid as the terrain in the real world doesn't change very quickly, now does it? didn't think it did....

how many quests are there to do in oblivion? the answer..Many...

Sure, you might have to kill someone in oblivion, you will have to kill many people in oblivion, but how the fuck does that make it a bad game, you kill in other games, hell, to please you instant gratified retards, nearly 80 percent of the games industry is devoted to putting out violent games, now, don't get me wrong, I love a good bloodbath here and there, and sometimes, I want to nearly shit myself from something jumping out from the dark, clawing at my T.V. screen, that's all stimulating, but when a game tries to give you nearly a little bit of everything, you go and take a big shit all over it...give oblivion a break for god's sake, it took them four years to complete oblivion, to make sure it was full of as much variety they could fit.

Voice acting, no doubt this is disappointing, I will admit you have me there, but how many people are in cyrodiil? hmm, let's just say somewhere around 100 atleast, not counting shivering isles. Ok, so you're going to have the budget to put that all into voiceacting instead of the other important areas? what game does that? has around 100 people, and has 100 different voice actors, without being complete shit...none, that's right. If i cared about the variety of voice acting in games, I wouldn't be a true gamer, voice acting variety is for the movies, this isnt a god damn movie......it's a.....GAME.....

and about the fast traveling, people were whining and bitching about not being able to travel fast enough, so what did bethesda do, oh, no fucking shit...they made it easier to travel wow that's fucking amazing, never saw that comming!!! Now, sometimes it's a pain in the ass to walk up a mountain, and I want to get there quick, hmm, I can instantly get there? wow, that's great, thanks, now I can keep on getting to the good parts of the game, without much of a hassle ,that's really nice of you.....

keep in mind this is a god damn fantasy game, a GAME, so it doesnt have to be realistic you stupid fucks, maybe you have never really played an RPG that was decently put together, something that gave you all the rewards without having you work very hard to get them, perhaps if most of you really did play through the quests in oblivion, you'd have a better respect for it. I don't know though, since you worship the ground that yahtzee walks on, he's a great guy who goes where not many people dare go in the gaming public, he says what's on his mind and isn't afraid of what people say about that. But he's not the main authority on games, i'm sorry to break this to you, but he's not, he may be very learned about games, he may have a huge amount of experience with them (infact he does, anyone would be stupid to deny that of course) but what i'm getting at here, is you don't have to automatically say, oh yeah, he's right, this game is shit cus he says it is....only a few people have disagreed with him, and that's just frightening....

maybe if you actually tried to play games without tunnel vision, you'd understand all types of games a little more, try to comprehend that in oblivion, there is a LOT of shit, and i mean the motherload of shit that they have to load into the game, maybe it has flaws because it's just too much to be able to go back and "fill in the gaps" when i've played it for quite some time now (i'm not a fanboy, I just hate it when people all bandwaggon someone just because he's the popular guy, even though some of his views MIGHT be a tad exagerated...) and i've had minimal problems with it. Maybe a freeze here, a glitched wall here, a glitched quest there...but what game is perfect? Not one of them. You act as though oblivion is supposed to be perfect or some shit...it's not, ok?

Another thing, it's a fantasy RPG, what's supposed to be real about it...you act as though it's supposed to feel like the real world, when it's on another plane of existence for god's sake...about the enemies, maybe you're fucking retarded, but as you can see, the enemies get tougher for the guy who doesnt use 100 pct chameleon, or 100 percent damage reflect, minotaur lords, storm atronauchs, xivilai...those aren't tough for your character when there are like....seven of them all pounding you?....either you're a genious of micromanagement or you're exploiting something in the game, bitching that it's too easy because you're blatently MAKING it that easy...here's a revolating thought, play the game it was meant to be played, and you'll have fun...wow...that's news, atleast to many of you it seems.

I just cant accept that from all that oblivion has to offer, almost none of you can figure out a way to have fun with it, you seem to accept all the flaws the other games have (unless you play like...i dont know...four games? or something....some of you said you played one elderscrolls game and you base your opinions on something you never fucking even played! wow, now that's a true dipshit way of thinking, honestly, confront your mom about all the heroine she took when she was pregnant with you.

with all the linear games that take me maybe four hours to beat, spending 60 bucks on some peice of shit like army of two, gears of war, assasin's creed, it's nice to see that i'll be getting what I payed for, a game that will keep giving me satisfaction weeks after I purchase it, not just a weekend.

about that twat that complained that the addons from the XBL market were outragous....i'm sorry if 5 to 10 dollars is too expensive for you, get a job....the shivering isles itself that adds atleast a good 2 weeks of play time in atleast, is only about 20 dollars or so, that's not bad at all....it's not like you HAVE to get those things to have your gaming experience be complete...so it's not the fucking end of the world if you have to spend 20 bucks to get more out of your game, that 20 dollars will come back, if you have, you know, one of those "jobs" you hear about all the time....

honestly, you people complain way too much, you think you have the right to set the standards about every game, why dont you fucking become a developer, and we'll see how much you fuck up and then we'll all take steamy shits all over your hard work...

dont think i'm going to even look at the further taint that's in this thread...I just wanted to point out your retardation,

ANYWAYS

Yahtzee, i'm sorry you don't like oblivion, i'm sorry you didnt give it enough of a chance to interest you through the different factions and variety of quests it offers, along with the extensive character creation tools. Maybe you missed out on the good stuff that oblivion has to offer, or maybe you are pointing out the flaws, and leaving out the good parts because that's your job to do as a critic, but I honestly can't see why you hated oblivion so much, when as an RPG, it's pretty different from the huge slew of the other one's that flood the market. Your review was funny as always, but I still just don't get it, how flaws in a game could make it useless, when those flaws don't happen all the time, and are easily cured by simply not giving in to temptation to fast travel, in oblivion's case, and to not hold a game to such high standards. I suppose, that's your job though, making sure a game is absolutely stellar before giving it a pat on the back. Oh well...I hope you will like the next Elderscrolls game if they choose to make it, that is, if you choose to review it if it does....

09Ezzi09

Jun 23, 2008
I think oblivion is one of those games that you either love or hate,
Personally i love it, like morrowind but i definitly know what he means about immersion and to be fair the levelling system is pantz.

frozenpnx

Jun 19, 2008
I don't disagree with you on the Immersion problem, but I would suggest the X-Box 360 version which makes the lagging NPCs less frequent.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
I've never played Oblivion and probably never will. But watching this review has at least inspired me to dust off my "God Save the Kinks" t-shirt. Nice one.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
STfugtfugofo:

The leveling system:

I agree that - in concept - the leveling system in oblivion is fantastic to the point of brilliant. Leveling skills based on using them is an *awesome* idea.

However, the execution is flawed to the point of painful bowel surgery.

Firstly, you are better off - almost *strictly* better off - ensuring that the skills you level based on (your primary skills) are not the skills you will use most. Gaining levels in this game is something you want to do slowly. Which is a big 'WTF mate?' from most people.

Games where monsters level when you do SUCK. Some parts of the game should be harder at the start. Games where leveling exist shouldn't be easier to complete if you never press the 'level up' button.

And you're right; the game doesn't look 'all the same'. There are at least 3 distinct terrain types, and possibly as many for dungeons - I forget. Mr Croshaw's point that there is a distinct lack of different terrain is still more or less valid, however.

However, as for your point about their being 'at least 100 voice actors'...

I'm sorry, what the fuck? I think other than people on the main quest (which account for maybe half a dozen voice actors) their are probably substantially less than 20. Heck, probably no more than about another 6 or so. And the voice acting is AWFUL. If you saw a movie with acting this bad that wasn't made by george lucas you'd puke.

And the game is *absurdly* easy once you are past a certain point (It's a while since I played, but I describe that point as levels 1-5 and 26-n). Unless you are a complete chump, you mash your opponents into a sticky goo.

As for the 'wonderful side quests'...they are all incredibly dull* and repeatative. And given to you by chumps you just don't care for. The dark brotherhood was kind of cool, sure. Completely made no sense for most characters to be in it, of course.

Am I the only one who finds it retarded that you can be head of the thieves guild, dark brotherhood, fighters guild and mages guild...hero of the land and worship of evil gods...etc etc... and no one notices?

Further, the game is flawed to the point of unplayable in so many areas pre-modding. It's awesome that there is a good modding community to make various aspects of the game more fun...but I can't help but feel that this is a piss-poor indication of a good game...and indeed likely to be the indication of an awful game if most people think that it isn't worth playing without modding it?

* well, ok, about 90% incredibly dull. there are a few cool ones

Newker

Jun 26, 2008
Oblivion should be a game where you can choose, good or bad. You should be given the option to either A) save the world by killing all the badies or B) killing all the badies and goodies stealing all their stuff and making a golden throne which looks like a toilet

Danz D Man

Jun 26, 2008
Even though this is horribly late I have to say I disagree with his point about the scenery. I had the 360 version (I doubt there's any difference, just stating) and I thought that there was plenty of different amounts of scenery. The mountains/snow, the swamp in the South, granted there was not too much difference in the middle regions of the map but I thought the variety of people and the amount of dungeons/caves and some well-placed lakes made up for that fact. It doesn't have as much scenery as, say, Two Worlds (wait, I'm actually positively commenting on that game?!!?!) but I thought it was fine as it was. I felt like I was immersed in the experience as well, however I haven't played any other RPG's before this.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
Why hasn't anyone said anything about the user interface? That was bad. I was going to write down reasons why, but it seems this guy already did that:

http://damicat.googlepages.com/whyoblivionsucks

In short, Morrowind's interface: simple, quick and good. You see almost all you need with one button.

Oblivion: complicated, slow and bad. You need to navigate through lots of tabs, which all takes lots of time.

Damicat has a whole list of Oblivion's flaws: http://damicat.googlepages.com/

Bethesda's design principle, "make a new game from scratch", seems to mean they don't learn anything from their past games.

Furthermore, I didn't see anyone complaining from the plainness and ugliness of the NPCs. Maybe Bethesda thought that making most NPCs plain-looking would make your character stand out more, make him more unique. Or maybe they were just lazy with faces. There's like a couple of good-looking characters in one city and all the others are mostly plain. Especially Orcs, Khajiits and Argonians. Maybe the Orcs are supposed to look like barbarians, but even for barbarians they look too ugly. Having to zoom to NPC faces when talking to them certainly doesn't help.

mrverbal said:
However, as for your point about their being 'at least 100 voice actors'...

I'm sorry, what the fuck? I think other than people on the main quest (which account for maybe half a dozen voice actors) their are probably substantially less than 20. Heck, probably no more than about another 6 or so. And the voice acting is AWFUL. If you saw a movie with acting this bad that wasn't made by george lucas you'd puke.
One voice actor for one race-gender is ridiculously low. Actually, Oblivion had less, some of the actors voiced more than 1 race. Nord-woman and Orc-woman at least had the same actor and if I'm not mistaken, Bosmer-man and Dunmer-man.

Patrick Stewart, Sean Penn and Terence Stamp don't make up for that. I wonder how many professional voice actors Bethesda could have hired instead. I highly doubt the celebrity actors received the same wages.

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
I'm only with Yahtzee 50% on this review. I agree that the "environments" were little more than the same hills and valleys with different trees (unless you count the Blackwood swamp) when compared with Morrowind, and I felt the interface and many gameplay elements had been dumbed-down (or, as we snobbish PC jackasses would say, "consoled down") as compared with Morrowind and even Daggerfall- particularly the faction quests and the enchantment system.
I can't agree about the lack of freedom. Yahtzee must have an incredibly low immersion-breakage tolerance, because it became quite obvious that when I was told to "go to x and see y", etc., it meant the quest would actually wait indefinitely while I went and picked nirnroots or worked on my Mage's Guild membership. (I was level 17 before I got to Kvatch. Those folks who were cut off in the chapel must've been eating their elders, or something, by the time I broke the siege.)

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I actually agree with him on the whole "lack of immersion" the telling moment for me was when I actually got REALLY caught up in the game and came across a group of guards desperately fighting for their lives against a suddenly opened Oblivion Gate, there was only one survivor standing heroicly on the bodies of his fallen comrades, desperately trying to hold back the tide of demonic invasion. So I charge in, kill the demons, then go to talk to the guard and he promptly responds with...

"Good day citizen"

As if nothing had happened... that just broke the immersion factor right then and there.
Yep that sums up the AI (which tend to call Artificial Idiot because it is so freaking dumb) in most RPGs. Not only the NPCs but the mobs as well.

World of Warcraft is particular dim in this area as you can happily blast mobs within eyesight of each other and they will only react if they are a certain distance from each other. The really fun part is when you run back to some place where there are armored guards and they just freaking stand there while some mob turns you into a freaking bongo drum. What is a really pathetic is if you click on them they go through this little set of canned responses including "Need help?"

"No, I am clicking on you while being beat on by half the freaking maniacs in this area because I feel like it. OF COURSE I NEED HELP YOU BRAIN DEAD NPC!"

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Strangely, out of the 3 pages with videos this one and the MGS4 review are the only ones I disagree with. Don't get me wrong though:

The radiant AI gimmick is seriously badly executed, the dialogue is cluttered and programmed in an intolerably half-assed way. The combat physics can also easily descend into one big mess if you're ever accompanied by friendly NPCs as they tend to get in your way whenever you try to swing your weapon or aim your bow at enemies for no reason whatsoever. (I've also seen deviously hidden lines that are not supposed to be delivered to you in-game over at YouTube that are just absurdly ridiculous to listen to).

Regarding the fast-travelling: The point of a big area is that there's more content to it. If you fail to see that the fast-travelling saves you all the time you'd have to spend in real life running towards wherever you wanna go, you missed the whole idea of fast access to instant action. Of course, there is nicely little variety in the landscapes themselves so I can sympathize with you there.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I thought Oblivion was great and one of the best games I ever played HOWEVER I understand the points Yahtzee has made and don't think its perfect (even my most favioute isn't perfect to me) although I will disagree about the copy and pasted land scapes.

However I also do think that if I played Morrowind first, theres a good chance I might of not thought Oblivion was one of the best to be honest... but I'm not going to know any time soon lol (BTW I have played Morrowind and its also one of the best I've played lol).