Zero Punctuation: Oblivion

Eternal Phear

Jun 4, 2008
Good review, surprisingly he didn't mention the leveling interface which pretty much breaks the game for me. (Wish I had a PC so I could mod it.)

I agree, unless you play in the factions your missing out on ALOT.

Satoz

Apr 29, 2008
Good review, and I rather agree...mostly. Despite what you say if you really try you can feel immersed as long as you ignore as many npc's as possible, now while you may say that is just delaying the issue, I find that if i run through a town, and hear bits of information and conversation it feels more realistic. The combat and such is decent, and there are some terrain changes, though I agree they are rather lack luster, its like "lets throw some super high quality grass and water around here, put a few trees up, some monsters *based on level* and go on. You didnt comment on how enemys level with you, I was hoping to hear you either say "that is sucked that guards were always too strong" or that "it was good because it never became too easy" anyways a big part of oblivion is mods, which is what makes it a good game. Some mods even present immersive storylines with actual consequence etc, and some fix the fighting system, even allowing decapitations, and slitting throats. all in all though your review was spot on, especially to those not playing on a pc.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
cctoide said:
borgmaster said:
I'm apparently one of the few people who liked Oblivion, but that's probably because i played it on the 360.
You weren't. I don't know if anybody else remembers the time around when Oblivion came out, but everywhere you turned you would bump up against praise for Oblivion. Basically, a year or two of aging coupled with the need to agree with HM Yahtzee's review in this thread will assure several dozen posts of bile with only a few people left wondering where all the excitement went all of a sudden.

That said, I did start playing it a few weeks ago and I didn't get past the first bridge you cross. I'm not a big RPG fan so this is the first "proper" RPG I have played in ages, and I didn't find it very fun, and I'll take Yahtzee's word as to the uniform look of the game world.
Yeah I'm not going to be jumping on the Yahtzee bandwagon here. I liked Oblivion a lot a year back, played it to death. That is to say the side quests, I loved the Dark Brotherhood and everything but when the time came to get to the main storyline my enthusiasm was stunted. The only objective really was to go into oblivion gates, kill things, steal sigil stone and you're out. It's the same everywhere even in the final Great Gate you're supposed to shut. So I said 'fuck you' to this aspect of the game, started anew as a Nord swordfighter with heavy armor and turned him into a friggin level 38 tank that could run like a life-long trained Kenyan with resistances so high in every aspect I could just run my way through every oblivion gate (even through lava, yes no problem) and get to the sigil stone within 3 minutes just so I could finish the storyline. This was in no aspect fun whatsoever. So if you want to enjoy Oblivion, never start the main story, only do the sidequests and download all the good mods. Unfortunately I don't have that opportunity due to me owning the game for the 360 and having a slow pc so the Oblivion era is dead for me.
Oh, and the replay value also sucks balls since every character you create can join any faction you want, no requirements.

cmdr_zoom

Jul 17, 2007
Finally, Yahtzee reviews a game I've actually played! (The last one was Psychonauts, I think.)

And I enjoyed it... but he's right about a lot of things, including the NPC voices (so few! so disjointed! so wacky!) and the fact that it all looks rather mundane (four or five different flavors of it, mind you) compared to Morrowind, land of ash and mushrooms. And when you come down to it, Cyrodiil is more like a theme park version of a fantasy kingdom; the whole Imperial City, which is supposed to be this grand thing, would fit within a couple of blocks, and the province itself is smaller than the county I live in.

My biggest objection/immersion breaker was how the leveling system worked with regard to equipment. After you've done one or two quest-lines to the end, you're going to be in your 20s, the level-up screens tell you that you have nothing to look forward to but gradual decline, and every random bandit on the road is going to be wearing full (or half) suits of glass or daedric armor and weilding weapons of the same. Why don't they just sell that stuff and retire? I've actually set some of my characters' levels back down into the teens (I'm playing on a PC, so I can do stuff like that) just so that the things I was fighting would have steel or leather armor again - not for the sake of easy wins (I can always turn down the difficulty slider for that) but the sake of some sense of versimilitude.

VonBlade

Mar 12, 2008
Two quick replies.

1) To the guy who thinks that the Oblivion hatefest is a new thing, try popping over to the Bethesda forums sometime. It was hated before it even appeared. (see also "Fallout3 - Pete Hines lies repeatedly about a steampunk FPS". Not sure if that's the real subtitle but it's close enough)

2) The necrophilia woman is in a shop in the town with the crazy paranoid guy behind the church (I haven't played it for months and months so can't remember the name). Anyway she's one of the lizard things and you need to talk to here as if you were a necrophiliac, then she'll tell you all. So strictly speaking you aren't jailed for that at the start, but the guy who said you were obviously thought he was :D

VB

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
VonBlade said:
2) The necrophilia woman is in a shop in the town with the crazy paranoid guy behind the church (I haven't played it for months and months so can't remember the name
That'd be Skingrad, if memory serves.

artstsym

May 7, 2008
wow
gone for a good 4 hours and we've gained that many pages. I think I'll respond to some of the early posts.

sad_nerd said:
i wouldn't say you like games that are "instantly gratifying"
I would. Painkiller, anyone?

PitrDeVries said:
In Morrowind, you would really feel like an outlander, especially with all the unique creatures and customs. Weird dogs attacking me? Sweet. Wizards grow their towers? Awesome. Varying architecture, TONS of in game literature and lore, et cetera.
Some of that was fun, some of it was incredibly annoying, like how easy it was to get stuck in the Telvanni towers.

Kaos Incarnate said:
There is only one part I enjoy in Oblivion, the murdering the five people in the house without the others finding out, that was so much fun, it's a save before entering and loading it up again moment.
Best mission ever.

EDIT:
Finally, Yahtzee reviews a game I've actually played! (The last one was Psychonauts, I think.)
You need to get out more. Like to a friend who does have these games.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
and he says he picked a Nord because he lacks creativity and then compares the dialog to "A middle school lord of the rings play to an audience of deaf budgies".

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Good review

I was surprised it wasn't the new Ninja Gaiden game, but then I remembered that Australians get the shaft when it comes to release dates.

Anyway, great review, as always.

reGauss

Jun 4, 2008
Awesome and accurate.

However with mods Oblivion changes into quite an enjoyable experience. And this is coming from a "story-driven/party-based/tactical combat WRPG" fanboy who has been loathing Morrowind and this game since they were released.

The dialogues remain horrible though.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
I suggest some Shivering Isles. Bizzare characters in a game world that's completely off its rocker.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
from what i could tell it a wasn't bad game for him, i personally love oblivion and i agree with what he says, i highly suggest get the game! :D

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Gahars said:
Good review

I was surprised it wasn't the new Ninja Gaiden game, but then I remembered that Australians get the shaft when it comes to release dates.

Anyway, great review, as always.
Ninja Gaiden game just came out in the U.S. today, even if australia got it when we did, he wouldn't have enough time to review it. Expect it in the future...unless he thinks DMC4 is just like it, then he won't. I hope he does.

Dark Brotherhood missions and thieves guild...and some of mage guild missions. Those were fun. I never even went through the story line far enough that the oblivion gates opened for the first time...it's kind of weird watching people talk about the madness in this town where a gate opens...and I get there and it's still nice and sunny. Still, I borrowed oblivion for two weeks...only ended up playing it about half a week, then I finished all the DB and Thieves missions...and decided I'd done most of the fun stuff and turned it off.

Stalker Review would be bloody wonderful though.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I love this game, yet still had a good chuckle at this. Love the part with the PC - I tried installing it in two of the house PCs and both immediately decided they'd wimp out. Also tried the Oldblivion patch; it crashed the first computer and made the chunky graphics even chunkier on PC number 2. Even on the 360 it struggles - I've lost count of the times my 360 told me it couldn't read the damn disc.

Anyway. It's hilarious that you get such a mix of NPC voices in each town, even though each one is supposed to have a main race, if you will.

The levelling system sucks like nothing else, and I wouldn't have minded seeing it slated into next year. Sad thing is I can't even finish the Kvatch mission, and that's with both a strong magic user (first time round), and a strong powertank after. The fact that enemies level with you is an interesting twist, but makes the game so hard I actually gave up on the main quest and focused on the Brotherhood instead.

Best part of the game. And where was the praise for Lucien Lachance, sexy thing that he is? Come on, Yahtzee, you can put aside your complete and utter masculine traits for a second. And there's no way Martin Septim is sexier. NO WAY.

But I detract. Excellent review, as always.

Ruffythepirate

Apr 15, 2008
Once again, Yahtzee strook with a firm, wellplaced hand. I agree with him on the fast traveling part, it's kind of awkward, although the game would have been extremely boring without it.

The Tingler

Oct 3, 2007
Are you joking? Thievery was freaking *easy*. Just exploit lock picking and break into everyone's houses when they're not home or asleep.
Perhaps, but then I stopped playing very very quickly. This is all I discovered, and had no desire to carry on.