Zero Punctuation: Overwatch vs Battleborn

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Have not and will not play Overwatch I have no interest in a 100% vs game. I am enjoying the shit out of Battleborn though. Just a difference of taste I suppose.

Mar 19, 2010
There was character based quake showed on E3 I guess character based FPS are now the new thing. Anyway they all suck/will suck cause TF2 is the best and has been the best for 9 years.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
you guys are honestly missing out. Overwatch is a ton of fun.

and this is coming from someone who pretty much never plays PvP games.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hey i didn't like the borderlands series too! But that also come with the inevitable, depressing fact that i have no online game friends.

Party_Magician

Sep 4, 2014
Regarding the Posegate (or Tracerstorm, or whatever): Considering that the new pose is pretty much as sexualized as the old one, and the old one is a copy from Widowmaker while the new one is unique to Tracer, it's highly unlikely they actually changed it because of the complaint. More believable that they wanted to already and wanted to score some "good points" with the PC crowd while at it

Noyemi-K

Jan 6, 2016
Some actual anger, that's fairly rare.
Some railing against the mostly-fictional "SJW" boogeyman, that's fairly disappointing.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hey i didn't like the borderlands series too! But that also come with the inevitable, depressing fact that i have no online game friends.
Borderlands 2 didn't do much for me. It's still on my hard drive but I haven't touched it in nearly a year(I got to Sanctuary, did a few missions and then kinda lost interest).

Ironically, I started playing because I really enjoyed Tales from the Borderlands(even without knowing anything other then the fact Handsome Jack is a bit of a dick).

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
SKBPinkie said:
Why are so many people comparing these games? They're not of the same genre.
It's because they're both an FPS and have a huge cast of 20+ characters, each with their own unique abilities. That's pretty much it.

What I find a little quite sad, though, is that the general consensus is the Battleborne (Yes, I'll spell with an "E") is an "Overwatch clone" even though Battleborne was announced months prior.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, you made this mistake in your lets drown out also. The reason blizzard changed the character wasn't the complaint, it was that the poster said it was out of character for that character. Which it was, despite how high her pants ride up on her. It wasnt someone saying "sexist" it was someone saying "I don't think she would pose like that."

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Still don't get the appeal. Said the same thing about TF2, Evolve and that robot game. They seem fun for like the first match, then get repetitive, then in 6 months everything is a ghost town and you spent $70+ on a game no one plays anymore because everyone got burnt out.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Worgen said:
Ugh, you made this mistake in your lets drown out also. The reason blizzard changed the character wasn't the complaint, it was that the poster said it was out of character for that character. Which it was, despite how high her pants ride up on her. It wasnt someone saying "sexist" it was someone saying "I don't think she would pose like that."
You're wasting your time man. When to comes to shit like this people take emotional investment in always being right and never being wrong. Little things like facts can't get in the way of a person's viewpoint on life.

Then again I keep getting into arguments, so I guess I'm a dirty hypocrite and you should probably ignore me. It's just worth remembering that it's next to impossible to get people to change their minds on things like this, in the same way it's next to impossible to get someone to change their religion or political party, and Yahtzee is more stubborn than most.

Jan 27, 2011
And here I thought he was gonna skip them! And yet now we have a Versus video!

*grabs popcorn* This gonna be good.

(finishes video)

...Daaaaamn that was brutal.

I do question why he got the full priced Overwatch, though. I guess he got in on console. I got the 40 version on PC and that seemed reasonable. 60 was just ludicrous.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
aegix drakan said:
And here I thought he was gonna skip them! And yet now we have a Versus video!

*grabs popcorn* This gonna be good.

(finishes video)

...Daaaaamn that was brutal.

I do question why he got the full priced Overwatch, though. I guess he got in on console. I got the 40 version on PC and that seemed reasonable. 60 was just ludicrous.
Overwatch kind of pisses away all the good will it earned with a 40 dollar price tag when it had an alternate version that also costed 60 bucks.

Also Australian prices were probably a factor.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Not played either but I've watched a fair bit of Overpriced Overwatch, and whilst I think their character designs are mostly superb, they do eventually tend to come across as painfully soulless, and that comes across more in the combat barks.

Glad to see Reaper got picked out, too. Every time I hear that insufferable "Die, die, DIE!!!!!!1!" I just think some delusionally angsty urchin obsessed with Hatred has manifested in digital form...

Noyemi-K said:
Some actual anger, that's fairly rare.
Some railing against the mostly-fictional "SJW" boogeyman, that's fairly disappointing.
If you listen to any of his Let's Drown Out's then it may be disappointing but it's not unexpected, at least. It must always be kept in mind that Yahtzee's also a genuinely odd and slightly unhinged bloke... Voice of any particular group, he ain't, which I'd count as a positive.

Jan 27, 2011
erttheking said:
Overwatch kind of pisses away all the good will it earned with a 40 dollar price tag when it had an alternate version that also costed 60 bucks.

Also Australian prices were probably a factor.
Oh yeahhh...Australian game prices. Forgot about that.

In any case, as a PC player, I didn't see the appeal of the 60$ version. 20 extra bucks for a handful of skins, most of which look lame? Why the hell did anyone on PC buy that?