Zero Punctuation: Painkiller

Deadwings

Feb 8, 2008
Keep the attention on those unsung games yahtzee. You have quite a bit of leverage in the gaming 'community' now and you could do a lot of help for those unsung gems. I recommend looking into Breakdown for the Xbox if you haven't already - amazing game, but no one knows it exists.

Aldrenean

Feb 1, 2008
I've played through Painkiller a few times, I bought the Black Pack of Endless Evil or whatever on Steam a while ago. I have yet to play the expansion, but I hear it sucked some epic scrotum. This is from PCG, though, so that might well be entirely false.

Furlong

Apr 1, 2008
It's reviews like this that I like the most. The ones that bring your attention to the game that you may never have even heard of before.

Ptrack_Git

Apr 6, 2008
Classic game, a decent video... I had no problems with loading BTW...
This review points out what I have been saying for along time, if forms of entertainment (movies, games, books, etc.) would focus on doing ONE thing really well (in this case killing people) we wold on average get better products. That's not to say I don't like GTA4, for example, in fact I'm playing it right now, but we need less stuff that is supposed to make EVERYBODY happy, and just target one f*cking audience!

punknoflowers

May 21, 2008
Yea, i thought that was great(if a little short); i personally prefer to be shown something new then to be told that something i all ready new probably wasn't that great isn't. I had massive problems with the new player too - it took me the best part of 4 reboots, as my computer kept crashing while trying 2 load - and this one was only about 3:30-45 long, the longer vids wud prob be worse.

ranearia

May 7, 2008
Loved the review, but really hated the new video setup. After 30 mins of waiting on a 4 min review, I went to youtube.

tsurugi-ijin

Apr 11, 2008
Another great review, and like some others i now consider buying a little known game on the recomendations of Yahtzee.

JCIcefox

Mar 30, 2008
I remember finding this game at a Future Shop and seeing a price tag of only 10 dollars, I decided to purchase my first FPS ever.

Imagine my disappointment when I didn't own a PC that could run it until 4 years later.

Despite that, I must say that everything Yahtzee described is spot-on. Brilliant weapons, simply enjoyable gore-filled levels of non-stop death, and the puzzle-y aspect with the god-damn hardest 'acheivements' to get those bloody cards.

Believe me when I say that having the ability to travel to a monastary, freeze some Satan monks solid and quickly dissecting them with hot lead, then jumping to the evilest military base ever to do battle with GIANT DEMON TANKS (well, I assume demon because everything else in this world is just that) is a little bit of a mindrape. Also, the Opera Hall and Sanitarium levels genuinely scared me a bit.

Oh, and yes, the shuriken/lightning gun [AKA ElectroDriver] is quite possibly on par for awesome with the chainsaw gun from GoW.

If you ever happen to find this game in a bargain bin somewhere, do yourself a favor and pick it up. It probably won't be worth any more than 10 bucks anyway.

EDIT: forgot to say, I have had no issues with this new video setup. I got almost immediate playback. *shrugs* Not sure why they altered it in the first place, to be honest.

Portoparty

Feb 27, 2008
wow, this review is SO awesome that I want to go buy painkiller on steam right now, thats how great you are at selling something you ACTUALLY LIKE Yahtzee, 4 minutes watching a completely impersonal video where part of the time you rip on the games bad features and I want to fucking buy it!

JCIcefox

Mar 30, 2008
Oh dear. Please excuse these close posts, but I have just found some disturbing news.

http://www.gamernode.com/News/3486-Painkiller-movie-on-the-way/index.html

I can only hope it never makes it past pre-production.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
VMerken said:
Ahh, it's reviews like these that remind me that I'm also an old sod wishing games were "90s fun" again, like Doom and Quake and Painkiller where all you do is collect frags and have fun doing so.
People like you and I are going to prove my fiancee wrong when Duke Nukem Forever comes out (in 2017) and EVERYONE buys it. She thinks it'll fail because videogaming is too sophisticated now. I say, "Always bet on Duke!" and vaguely hip-thrust in her direction. Then she pelts me with loose change until I stop.

Anyway, painkiller sounds pretty great - if there's one thing PC gaming has that console gaming doesn't, it's cool shit like dismemberment. I mean, I was able to play a copy of Soldier of Fortune back in High School, and I'd play through entire levels with just the desert eagle because a) it was the best gun in the game, and; b) there was nothing as cool in 1998 as blowing off some guy's leg at the knee and watch him fall to the ground screaming in a pool of what's probably meant to be his own blood except there's waaay too much of it, then dragging himself determinedly towards you leaving a trail of blood behind his mangled, flailing stump until you either put him out of his misery, or walk away knowing he is no longer a threat to you.

*masturbates*

As for somewhat unusual weapons in FPS', I sadly never played a game as ambitious as to have a tree cannon or lightning-shuriken launcher, but I remember the first time I played Shadow Warrior and realised I had a katana as a usable weapon. Was this the first ever sword in an FPS? Who cares man, you could cut enemies in half!

cheesemaster

Mar 4, 2008
Alstan said:
In my modest opinion, a lightning shouriken is no rival for the Bioshock's magic hand that shoots bees.
Maybe if you mix both...
BioShock already had a magical hand that shoots lightning. No shurikens though...

randomizer9

Dec 17, 2006
I LOL'ed and now have a sudden urge to murder tons of dudes...in a game, anyway.

Is anyone else going to try hunting this one down in the bargain bins?