Zero Punctuation: Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
undercisjudgement said:
It's hurtful and it needs to be taken down.
I'll do you the service of assuming you are here under the best of intentions, and not question whether you are a troll.
I won't attack you for your name.

But I am going to tell you to grow up.

Now let me tell you what I know and understand about the trans community.
I know you have, do, and will suffer ignorance and prejudice against yourselves and your loved ones.
I understand that to be so fundamentally at odds with your perception of yourself and what you have to live with is an incredible burden, that I as a sexually secure man cannot hope to grasp.
I understand that you face persecution not only from the sexually normative heterosexual "norm" but homosexual groups as well.

I also understand that being trans does not make you special

What you need you understand is that, while you're busy claiming you aren't any different from any other group of people, you really AREN'T different from any other people. You have no special class granting you immunity from ridicule. Is it offensive? hurtful even? of course. but that's the whole point.

Let's look at a black joke. In fact, let's look at one of YAHTZEE's black jokes. "Maybe if the world was a little less prejudiced and a little more accepting, people might see that we all have the potential for much more, and then we could all work together to build a better world for everyone. Not that they'd know anything about WORK, the lazy nig-THEMESONGTIME" That joke is INCREDIBLY offensive. It belittles EVERY person with "black" skin. So many black people stand proud of their heritage and culture, and it is a major facet of their identity (I am not just a person, I am a BLACK person), and that joke indiscriminately reduces those people to "lazy murderous thieves" (through context of the review). But did a flood of black users (of which this site has many, believe it or not) come in demanding the video be removed? No. How is your sexual identity more important than that of an entire race of people?

And look, transexuality is not nearly as persecuted as you want to believe. Consider how fashionable it is to insist that you identify as the opposite gender even though you've never had a disassociative thought about gender in your life (which is, of course, not good for your CAUSE, but its acceptance nonetheless). It's become so prevalent that words like cisgender have been been created and thrown around so much that it causes me severe annoyance. You are accepted here. you are just another one of the group.

We don't care who you fuck. We don't care what you have in your pants. All we care about is that you come in, share a laugh, and don't try to ruin everyone else's good time.

So grow up, and get over it. It sucks that the joke offended you. We're sorry it wasn't a fun episode because of that.
But stop trying to find enemies in groups that aren't out to get you

EDIT: I don't mean to say you shouldn't be offended. That's fair. But stop complaining about it and trying to claim that your offense is any more legitimate than anyone else's

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Caiphus said:
Because you shouldn't make jokes that are likely to offend people, especially when they do not deserve it (making a pretense of possessing a sense of empathy).
If that's his reasoning, then sure, that's hypocritical. "Quit saying things that piss me off" isn't, though, and that's about as far as I am aware of the conversation going.

tomoyo

Aug 23, 2013
Transgirl, just starting her transition, coming here to weigh in. I've been watching Yahtzee for years and he has made fun of just about everyone. I've found it hilarious. This is just continuing his routine, and I found it funny as well. People willing to complain about one offensive comment to a group but not the 99% of others he makes is a little selfish. If generalizing, using stereotypes, and making off the cuff derogatory remarks about one group really hurts you then it should be the same to all groups. It's just comedy, and if you think everything in life needs 10 foot signs reading "Trigger Warning" on them because they might offend people who wear yellow shirts or people with large noses then you want a sad reality. I really hope he makes a video making fun of all the crusaders who came to be mad and demand censorship.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
JimB said:
Caiphus said:
Because you shouldn't make jokes that are likely to offend people, especially when they do not deserve it (making a pretense of possessing a sense of empathy).
If that's his reasoning, then sure, that's hypocritical. "Quit saying things that piss me off" isn't, though, and that's about as far as I am aware of the conversation going.
Fair enough. Like I said, there was only one person in the thread I've seen that made any kind of argument like my example.

Anyway, it's probably not worth getting worked up about other people getting worked up :p. I just wanted to wave my opinion around.

But you're absolutely right. If there is no pretense of empathy, in this case: "I don't care about other people, just don't say things that offend me", then there's no hypocrisy.

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
Father Time said:
So if I toss a baby onto the fire that's not evil?
Interesting question?
the fire is a analogy. There is train it's heading towards a car with your dad in it, theres a junction box and you can change the train tracks to divert it to a different train, on the other track is another car with a baby in it.
Again saving dad not the evil option.
say rather then a car with a baby on it the other line is empty but the junction box is damaged and on fire. you have a baby to hand (don't ask why).
you can use the baby to weigh down a switch(you can't do it yourself) and change the tracks saving your dad. it'll die in the fire.
no more evil (maybe fire worse death) then sending the train to kill it and we agreed that wasn't evil.
So is tossing a baby into a fire evil?
say instead of your dad there was a coach full of school kids?
say the baby you has a birth defect and won't age passed two?
Evil only exists in books

emmyisnotcool

Jul 21, 2013
Are there actually 4 chan users signing up to the Escapist just to talk shit about transsexuals? Really now.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Caiphus said:
But you're absolutely right. If there is no pretense of empathy, in this case: "I don't care about other people, just don't say things that offend me," then there's no hypocrisy.
I tend to assume everyone's as big a bastard as I am, so I might be giving the guy too much credit here for cognitive honesty, but that would be the basis of my complaint if I was in his shoes.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
I just wanted to thank you for a wonderful read, I agree with everything you've said; I wish the more hostile members of certain groups would realise that when they kick up a stink over every little thing it actually harms their pleas for acceptance more than helps it, and is just a general nightmare for everyone else that just wants to get along and enjoy a joke.

I judge every single person on their own merit, regardless of their colour, sexuality, religion or if they like to dress up as a teddy bear and fuck someone; the absolute only time I will get annoyed with someone because of their sexuality (etc.) is when they insist on making everything about their sexuality (etc.).

OT: I was surprised Yahtzee didn't enjoy Brothers more, given the massive story-boner he usually has for stuff like this and the fact that everyone else is calling it an arthouse triumph.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Neeckin said:
What the hell is going on in this comment section?
Idiots.
Fucking outrageously absurd amounts of idiots.
Ah now don't be saying that....idiots might get offended and demand that your post be taken down.

....This is usually where I'd say "OT" but fucked if I can see an actual topic in this thread beyond pure nonsense. Still, in all my years on this site this is the first time I've read through an entire thread accompanying one of the contributors videos so.......yay......?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy fucking shit guys.
Can we get back to talking about the games?

I feel this thread has become so derailed, the train has grown wings and is flying around.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Oh my goodness, oh my damn. This is starting to get silly nah. Two minute jokes that weren't even directed at anyone. I'm seriously considering the troll hipothesis now.

Anyway, has anyone played Brothers? Is it really that "tryhardy" at drama as Yahtzee makes it sound?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
IceForce said:

Holy fucking shit guys.
Can we get back to talking about the games?

I feel this thread has become so derailed, the train has grown wings and is flying around.
Is not possible. Thread is lost. We can not get on topic back. Topic is lost, as taken to Ministerium house lost.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/112/c/5/glorious_arstotzka_by_nimblejack3-d62oc0r.png

We of might well as speak of potato.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
J_Russell said:
Poor Yahtzee, I really enjoyed his videos, now the legions of tumblr are descending on him, he wont survive this.
bullshit he wont, he'll have fodder for an extra article
How I think Yahtzee views criticism:

OT: I'll most likely get Papers, Please now; the morbid nature of the game sounds enticing.

Faegbeard

Aug 22, 2013
Father Time said:
causing people great harm for no reason or for your own personal gain is evil in my book.
The reason is to keep your family from starving to death.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
undercisjudgement said:
Greetings,

I was inspired to create this account when I saw the initial post on Tumblr.

Most of you seem like very bright, intelligent individuals. But underlying your words seems to be a cruel streak towards the LBGT, Trans, and Otherkin community.

Sexuality is a defining part of many people, and Crowshaw's blatant disregard for that by blatantly utilizing a harmful, hurtful, and graphic slur against us.

I'm formally urging the Escapist staff to take down the video and have Crowshaw reassess his use of this slur.

Thank you in advance.
I can understand and respect what you're going for. But...no. Just no. Yahtzee has the right to make whatever filthy degrading jokes that he likes. It was a joke, just a joke, one that wasn't even meant to be hateful against one group, especially when Yahtzee makes jokes at the expense of nearly every group in the world. His rights do not end where the feelings of others start. I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
erttheking said:
undercisjudgement said:
Greetings,

Most of you seem like very bright, intelligent individuals. But underlying your words seems to be a cruel streak towards the LBGT, Trans, and Otherkin community.

Sexuality is a defining part of many people, and Crowshaw's blatant disregard for that by blatantly utilizing a harmful, hurtful, and graphic slur against us.

I'm formally urging the Escapist staff to take down the video and have Crowshaw reassess his use of this slur.

Thank you in advance.
I can understand and respect what you're going for. But...no. Just no. Yahtzee has the right to make whatever filthy degrading jokes that he likes. It was a joke, just a joke, one that wasn't even meant to be hateful against one group, especially when Yahtzee makes jokes at the expense of nearly every group in the world. His rights do not end where the feelings of others start. I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.
Considering how undercisjudgment mentions coming from Tumblr and brings up Otherkin, I think they might have been, er, "joking" as well.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
Nurb said:
papers please is soooo feindishly addictive.

Turbo_ski said:
Jokes against transsexuals were completely unnecessary and completely offensive.
You didn't mention the "As useful as a wi-fi connection in Auschwitz's prison showers" joke.

Grow a sense of humor. There's no genuine hate behind any of the jokes he does.
3 separate jokes bashing transsexuals in a single episode isn't humorous at all.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
[REDACTED said:
]
erttheking said:
undercisjudgement said:
Greetings,

Thank you in advance.
Considering how undercisjudgment mentions coming from Tumblr and brings up Otherkin, I think they might have been, er, "joking" as well.
....Ok, now I feel really stupid. I blame Poe's Law.