Zero Punctuation: Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
Warachia said:
You say that these are labels as if that's a bad thing, it's not, society needs labels to function, you are going to be labelled whether you like it or not, now whether or not you are going to change that label (like getting a sex change) is a different matter entirely, so is how you view that label, but the truth, is that you are never going to remove or lose that label.
LABELS
A WORD USED TO GROUP INDIVIDUALS BASED ON SHARED CHARACTERISTICS
they save time.

Think they have any intrusive mean is stupid as such the statement "you are gay" is always objectively less true then the statement you suck off men
as it depends what shared characteristics you use to define "gay"
say i define gay as:
-sexually attracted to people of the same gender only

in that case
Warachia said:
If you are a man giving another man a blowjob then society counts you as gay
is wrong as you don't have to be attacted to men to suck them off (but i'm sure it helps)

The reason i say this is utterly stupid is that cause of the varying definitions of "gay" ( attraction, love, sex)
and the different definitions of "label" something you give yourself something others give you.
and the added complication of the definition of "gay" being dependent on the definition of "gender"
Without clear, universally agreed on definitions of all of those thing we can not even talk this let alone find any resolution

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Has the image for this episode not appeared for anyone else? I can see the images for all of the others on Page 1.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
emmyisnotcool said:
Tranny is a slur. You know that, right?
In fairness, I didn't know that until fairly recently; some time this year, I think. Until then, I thought it referred to transgender and transsexual people collectively.

CoronaryThrombosis said:
I will never commit suicide on another person.
I'd hope not. It'd be exceptionally rude to climb onto my shoulders and then put a gun in your mouth, or whatever. I'm glad you have at least that much respect for my clothing, not making me wash your blood out of my shirt.

Warachia said:
In that case we'd need new names describing these sexualities, because transsexual is a little too vague given all it can cover.
Not to be a jerk, but because precision of terminology is important here, the word you want is "sexes" or "genders," not "sexualities." "Sexuality" is the expression of a person's sex life.

That said, I really question the amount of good done by coming up with new words to point out how different this or that person is from the rest of us, but then, I'm straight and cis, so maybe I can't identify with people who need better vocabularies to describe themselves to themselves.

BrendanFinn said:
His own feelings and wishes have nothing to do with it, it's pure and simple biology.
I assume you can cite studies about gender dysmorphia and the neurochemistry of people who identify as female to back up this assertion of yours.

BrendanFinn said:
As a middle-class, white, cis man, allow me to tell you that what hurts your social acceptance in my eyes isn't the jokes about trannies, but rather your whining regarding them. Instead of just laughing a joke, replying with a joke of your own regarding us cis scum, you whine and act like spoiled brats.
So you'll accept them the second they stop acting like themselves and start acting the way you tell them to?

I am not familiar with that definition of "acceptance." In fact, kind of sounds antonymous to me.

CynicalBastard said:
If you are male and like sucking dicks, then you are gay.
Bisexuality is a real thing, so this statement and all the following statements predicated on the faulty foundation are factually inaccurate.

Cottommy said:
If Ben saw these messages, it would probably make him physically ill to know how hard is "fanbase" can flip-flop from one offensive joke to another.
Oh, I think he adequately expressed his opinion of forumites in Jam. I'd be surprised if anything he might read here is new to his experience.

Kai Kuhl

Nov 13, 2012
Wow, Yahtzee makes one trannie-joke and now everybody talks about gender. Once again, I am amazed by that community.
About Papers Please, I am really in love with that setting. I like bleak dystopia settings, and that one showed really good how easy it is to become part of the system(And how hard it is to avoid that). I hope the developer will further deal with that topic.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
gjkbgt said:
Warachia said:
You say that these are labels as if that's a bad thing, it's not, society needs labels to function, you are going to be labelled whether you like it or not, now whether or not you are going to change that label (like getting a sex change) is a different matter entirely, so is how you view that label, but the truth, is that you are never going to remove or lose that label.
LABELS
A WORD USED TO GROUP INDIVIDUALS BASED ON SHARED CHARACTERISTICS
they save time.

Think they have any intrusive mean is stupid as such the statement "you are gay" is always objectively less true then the statement you suck off men
as it depends what shared characteristics you use to define "gay"
say i define gay as:
-sexually attracted to people of the same gender only
That's right, that's what labels are, and society needs them, not just to save time, but also to understand what they're working with.

If you weren't sexually attracted to them then why would you perform sexual acts with them without expecting anything in return and these could potentially ruin your reputation?
in that case
Warachia said:
If you are a man giving another man a blowjob then society counts you as gay
is wrong as you don't have to be attacted to men to suck them off (but i'm sure it helps)
In his example the person in question was certainly attracted to the person he was sucking off, unless you can prove he wasn't.
The reason i say this is utterly stupid is that cause of the varying definitions of "gay" ( attraction, love, sex)
and the different definitions of "label" something you give yourself something others give you.
and the added complication of the definition of "gay" being dependent on the definition of "gender"
Without clear, universally agreed on definitions of all of those thing we can not even talk this let alone find any resolution
I agree, we need to work with what we're given, which is what I'm doing.

mikemart

Apr 16, 2009
This thread is possibly funnier than the video. Most people wouldn't even think twice about it but of course, its only offensive because it offends them. Forget everyone else he has offended, its only an issue once its personal. I pray Yahtzee makes a reply to this, it'll only be funnier

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
JimB said:
Warachia said:
In that case we'd need new names describing these sexualities, because transsexual is a little too vague given all it can cover.
Not to be a jerk, but because precision of terminology is important here, the word you want is "sexes" or "genders," not "sexualities." "Sexuality" is the expression of a person's sex life.

That said, I really question the amount of good done by coming up with new words to point out how different this or that person is from the rest of us, but then, I'm straight and cis, so maybe I can't identify with people who need better vocabularies to describe themselves to themselves.
No, I meant sexualities, because I was talking about sex lives/attractions, for example, there isn't a specific word for a male transsexual who likes women, it would help because unless the person explains to you what they are and what they are attracted to you can't know their sexuality, not that it really matters, but it was the focus of the discussion you were quoting.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Warachia said:
I was talking about sex lives/attractions.
Ah, my mistake.

Warachia said:
For example, there isn't a specific word for a male transsexual who likes women.
Sure there is. Depending on what you mean by "male transsexual," the word would be "straight" or "gay;" or if the transsexual person doesn't exclusively like women, then you'd go with "bisexual" or some variant thereof.

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
Warachia said:
something
No we don't NEED to debate this.
we can, not. And we shouldn't be debating something that is we have no need nor ability to talk about

as for sex acts without attraction
Money, curiosity, maybe part of a threesome.
Most likely being you are a homeless desperate junky and someone offers you money to suck there dick.

as i said man is also a label.
if we're talking about the same guy. it's not the "gay" label he disputes, it's the "man" label
cause there partner is not a "man" he's not "gay" he's not attracted to "men"
I can though stuff like this at you all indefinitely so don't try to agree with me on this.

I the interest of that i'm going to stop debating. let me know if i convinced you to stop too.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
This was a good episode, I really want to get Papers Please.

On the joke, it's a joke. Jokes don't have to be technically correct to still be funny. It only becomes an issue if people take it seriously after the fact and THEN go on to actively discriminate based on their beliefs.
You just aren't going to convince some people that sucking a dick may not be necessarily gay, and that is perfectly okay. Who gives a shit about what they THINK?

I agree that there are many reasons for a guy to suck a duck other than them being gay, but just as sucking a dick doesn't necessarily make a guy gay, telling a joke that isn't completely "correct" doesn't necessarily mean that the joke teller is ignorant or bigoted.

The problem isn't the joke, it's the ignorant judgements people throw at one another after the joke has been told.

The same issue applies to the gender identity thing, too. Just because the person with the dick identifies as female doesn't necessarily mean that the dick-sucker ISN'T gay.

Kai Kuhl

Nov 13, 2012
So, whats the problem with Yahtzees joke about trannies? I mean, if you suck a dick, you are obvously aroused by that meant part of the body. The act of sucking a dick is obvously gay ( The act, not necessarily the person!). The sucking person likes that act (I hope!), so he likes an act that is gay, thus making him non-straight.
You can now differ between sexual arousal and romantic attraction, but to seek sex with a person who is either your sex or not clearly the opposite one, makes you not straight. (Now you can choose between a myriad of labels, yay!)

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Filiecs said:
This was a good episode, I really want to get Papers Please.

On the joke, it's a joke. Jokes don't have to be technically correct to still be funny. It only becomes an issue if people take it seriously after the fact and THEN go on to actively discriminate based on their beliefs.
You just aren't going to convince some people that sucking a dick may not be necessarily gay, and that is perfectly okay. Who gives a shit about what they THINK?

I agree that there are many reasons for a guy to suck a duck other than them being gay, but just as sucking a dick doesn't necessarily make a guy gay, telling a joke that isn't completely "correct" doesn't necessarily mean that the joke teller is ignorant or bigoted.

The problem isn't the joke, it's the ignorant judgements people throw at one another after the joke has been told.

The same issue applies to the gender identity thing, too. Just because the person with the dick identifies as female doesn't necessarily mean that the dick-sucker ISN'T gay.
I wanna quote the comedian Reginald D Hunter on being offended at comedians making jokes

"How can you not think that the ************ on th stage who's job's to make jokes...MIGHT BE JOKING ?"

J_Russell

Aug 22, 2013
Poor Yahtzee, I really enjoyed his videos, now the legions of tumblr are descending on him, he wont survive this.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Neeckin said:
What the hell is going on in this comment section?
It started as comedy. It then got promoted to comedy gold when the Escapist removed the thumbnail for the video. I believe that it still has the potential to become even better.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Carnagath said:
Neeckin said:
What the hell is going on in this comment section?
It started as comedy. It then got promoted to comedy gold when the Escapist removed the thumbnail for the video. I believe that it still has the potential to become even better.
Thumbnail on the main page still shows for me.

J_Russell said:
Poor Yahtzee, I really enjoyed his videos, now the legions of tumblr are descending on him, he wont survive this.
Legions nothing dude, there are like three maybe four people who made accounts today complaining about this. Most of what's going on in this thread is the same crap the escapist does to itself every other day.