jak1165 said:
Coldster said:
LeonLethality said:
jak1165 said:
LeonLethality said:
jak1165 said:
But...but...itz da same gaem!!!

Cool, someone actually understands Pokemon
If someone honestly told me it was the same game I would smack them and tell them about how things have changed with things such as the physical special split, the EV and IV system reduxes and all that jazz.
Hey man, you're preaching to the choir here. I just started to get back into competitive Pokemon...I'll admit the phrase "competitive Pokemon" raises my self-conscious-nerdness by about 20%...but it's addictive lol
I wasn't preaching, I just got carried away with my response. I know you were on my side.

Competitive Pokemon is the main course of Pokemon for me.

Coldster said:
Ha! If there actually was alot of strategy involved with Pokemon then I was a genius when I was six.

My Captcha says "Boose laser". What is that supposed to mean?
When you were six did you play competitively? If you are just playing through the "story" there is no strategy needed. You could have a horrible nature and still make your way through with little effort, it's competitive play that involves all the strategy.
I agree, but competitive play was not around when I was six so stop misinterpreting my statement.
So don't make any more stupid posts because its pretty clear from reading your posts that the 20-ish year old version of yourself doesn't have a better grasp of Pokemon than the 6-year old version of yourself.
I don't understand where your going with this, please make it more clear. Also I'm sixteen but it's not like you were off by at least four years.
There seems to be a lot you don't quite understand. Don't worry, it appears you aren't alone
Oh joy, oh rapture, you not only didn't answer my politely asked question but it suspiciously looks like your response was a cover up. What do you mean I don't have a good grasp of Pokemon? I think I do, want to know why? Its because I played Blue, Gold, Silver, half way through Crystal (don't ask why), Ruby, Sapphire, Leaf Green, and Diamond. I don't know how someone could not get a better grasp of Pokemon by playing more versions of the game.

eightbitsprite

Oct 4, 2010
Interesting review- but I would've like to know what you thought of the plot. And doesn't Pokemon have very deep gameplay? The raising pokemon side looks complicated, and the battling side has a lot a variety in strategies. Oh, well.

I ordered this game off Amazon- when I get it, I'm gonna go for a Nuzlocke run! :D

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Falseprophet said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Besides, "catching them all" is no longer viable...or even the point, really. It's all about competitive play, with the advent of wi-fi in D/P/P.
Pokemon is now the middle school version of COD and Halo?
Do you know what Pokemon REALLY is?

It's secretly the deepest competitive strategy game ever.

IT HAS TIER LISTS

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon
I wouldn't call it the deepest when it's based on luck as well. Missing the punch and getting critical hits in is still all chance.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
mrhateful said:
Vault Citizen said:
mrhateful said:
Pokemon is an awful game, I only played red pokemon in elementary school because it was the only game that was any good on the gameboy color.
If Pokemon was aweful how could red be the only game on the system that was any good? I would have thought that aweful and any good contradict one another
Its because of relativity, it just means that gameboy games was really bad. Yes Red pokemon was good in relativity to other games.. Just like 2 is a good grade if everyone else has gotten -3
I see, thanks for clearing that up.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
mrhateful said:
Pokemon is an awful game, I only played red pokemon in elementary school because it was the only game that was any good on the gameboy color.
Isn't blue the exact same game with different exclusive pokemon?
How can red be the ONLY good one if blue is the exact same thing....?
Also, it wasn't on Gameboy color, it was on gameboy....

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Maclennan said:
Heres the question he missed, what do the people in that world eat since every animal and most of the damn plants are pokemon?

I think a miltank would be quite tasty. Pikachu would probably be kind of stringy. They will probably resort to "iceberg lebtuce" soon.
It would be like the animal in the sequel book to the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy; the restaurant at the end of the universe, where it willingly cuts off its own body parts and feels good about it as it feeds itself to its masters as it has eveolved through generations of being eaten that it makes it easier to get eaten. I mean in Pokemon all the animals do after captured by humans is go into cock fights and they love it! They don't play with their owners they don't get to know them (aside from Pikachu and that one cat) they just fight for them.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
YAHTZEE DOESNT UNDERSTAND THE COMPLEXITIES OF POKEMON AND ITS AWESOMENESS!
derp

Oka, actually seriously, its not for everyone, and while I love pokemon I found this review immensely funny. Though I do have to laugh that Yahtzee kept having his ass handed ot him by the flying squirrel. Hahaha!
the same one that kept killing me with its thunder switching attacks. >.> _<

Oh, and I liked N, he seemed to add the human element that made Team Plasma feel human and not just hte cartoony logic (I want to make more land, because water is evil! was just so full of derp). And reading his EP this week, you;d think he;d be happy there's some boyishly charming youthful young man that wants to spend special time with you to ride a Ferris Wheel and take special care to go out of his way to talk to you instead of sending his grunts to shoo you away.

ShenCS said:
Although he apparently didn't figure out that walking actually decreased the encounter rate quite a bit. But damn if that isn't annoying too.
Or that you should have enough money to buy repels, which as long as you have a significantly powerful enough pokemon, you shouldnt have to worry about it.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
jak1165 said:
Quick, how many 6-pokemon teams can you make from 649 pokemon?

Even if we limit to the competitively useful pokemon, that leaves you with about 100. Now each one of those Pokemon learns between 25-50 moves, if we factor in TMs and Breeding. Each of these pokemon could be holding 1 of probably a dozen items using 1 of up to 3 abilities, and can possess one of like 20 or so natures that can potentially affect the outcome of a battle. For example, a pokemon that's speed natured could potentially strike before and kill a pokemon it would not be able to otherwise.

Now your task is to create a team of 6 pokemon that is capable of deal with approximately any of 100 other Pokemon, each of whom could potentially have any various combination of moves, natures, held items etc....

And you've got that all figured out on a spreadsheet? Haha....I bet.

I understand that Pokemon might be too complex for some people. But don't knock just because you can't handle the intricacies and nuances POKEMON of all things. No strategy? LOL
LeonLethality said:
In Pokemon you have six Pokemon, each with an ability, stats and four moves. with nigh infinite combinations. There is a huge amount of strategy involved, who to lead with, what moves to give a Pokemon to counter its weakness, how one Pokemon in a team can compliment another, how to counter someone who has their bases covered as well, what EVs to give to a Pokemon. There is a lot more strategy to a Pokemon battle than there is to Chess. Go in to a competitive battle without any strategy and watch how well your spread sheet memorization works.
Dreiko said:
Here's what you're failing to realize, in Pokemon the strategy happens as you choose the team you'll be using. Battles are a segment of the pokemon game, not it's entirety.

There's 600+ pokemon and each can learn around 40 moves, which pokemon, with which moves, with which other pokemon, which which other moves etc. etc. is the best combination for your team is a purely strategical aspect of the game and how your team is equipped to deal with every threat is purely a matter of strategy as there are many ways of dealing with something.

If you think everyone just picks any 6 buggers cause they like them and then try to shallowly guess their way into victory you're sorely mistaken I'm afraid.
All those arguments come down to the same: a lot of pokemons with a lot of moves.

Now let's remove the pokemons and moves that are basically useless, the exact same thing, work fundamentally the same way, or are countered the same way.

...woops.

Double woops once you consider playing the same person a second time. Surprise element's gone. Now even if you have millions of pokemons it's irrelevant. You know what your opponent has.

Triple woops: There's only one pokemon active at any one time.

That said, all of that would be very relevant, if it wasn't a spread sheet nonetheless. A very big spreadsheet. But a spreadsheet nonetheless. The match is decided before it starts... Except for the very bane of a good player's existence, the good'ol random factor. Isn't it nice when an attack just suddenly fails, fucking you over royally, due to a random statistic? Yeah. Pokemon seems saturated with that... "True" comp games eliminate random as much as possible. This isn't even like card games where you need the "random" factor of the draw... It's just there to fake some depth.

But hey, if you enjoy it, that's cool. The idea of competitive pokemon to me is akin to competitive rock, paper and scissors[footnote]Competitive Rock, Paper and Scissors ACTUALLY exists... I never laughed so hard as I when I discovered that. Random factoid.[/footnote] - hilarious.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Poomanchu745 said:
There are three types of people who watched this video:

1) The ones who are pissed that Yahtzee would actually make fun of something that is so dear to them.
2) The ones who are now rocking back and forth in a corner, denying that anything bad was ever said about their precious pokemon.
3) The ones who don't give a fuck about pokemon.
*raises hand on option 3*

I stopped playing these games around Gen 2, but I will give some credit to Team Plasma for their parts in this tale. (Read that plot in a strategy guide at GameStop.) That's actually a nice twist in the traditional Pokemon story, and actually gives these villains some motivation instead of the Team Rocket mentality of theft and domination to gain.

Taking into account Yahtzee's comment about no people in the world being Meh about Pokemon, that could explain his observation.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Not much to say about this one. I just don't get Pokemon. I watched the TV series when i was a kid, but that's about it. But hey, I'm currently looking for some new games for my DS and this one and Okamiden are pretty high on my list so maybe this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Dreiko said:
samaugsch said:
LeonLethality said:
Caliostro said:
Dreiko said:
So chess or any card game in general is something nobody can be serious about?

Gotta inform all those people who actually are serious about those things, quick, run!
In chess both players have 16 pieces, and a 64 square board, with very specific movement constraints for each piece.

In card games, the ones taken seriously that I can remember at least, the players hands aren't showing.

Pokemon is like a chess match with 2 lanes and 1 queen each, or a poker game where everyone's hands are showing. It's not "strategy", it's memorizing a spread sheet.
In Pokemon you have six Pokemon, each with an ability, stats and four moves. with nigh infinite combinations. There is a huge amount of strategy involved, who to lead with, what moves to give a Pokemon to counter its weakness, how one Pokemon in a team can compliment another, how to counter someone who has their bases covered as well, what EVs to give to a Pokemon. There is a lot more strategy to a Pokemon battle than there is to Chess. Go in to a competitive battle without any strategy and watch how well your spread sheet memorization works.
Alternatively, you can have one ridiculously strong Pokemon that can one-hit kill all of your opponent's Pokemon.
Nope.

Any meaningful battle is always with everyone being the same level. Even the AI in game ones cut your level down so it'll be equal.

All you're talking about here is in-game trainers controlled by the AI, not human players who play with everything at lvl 100 and use the best specimens of every species.
Well, excuse me for not playing against other people like you do. >_>

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Caliostro said:
All those arguments come down to the same: a lot of pokemons with a lot of moves.

Now let's remove the pokemons and moves that are basically useless, the exact same thing, work fundamentally the same way, or are countered the same way.

...woops.
Sure there are a lot of useless pokemon and moves but there are enough good ones and enough mixes to be incredibly unpredictable. I have a friend who made a special attacking Tyranitar that wrecked unprepared people (tyranitar is pretty much meant to be physical) You say a lot of pokemon a lot of moves but it's more.
A lot of pokemon, a lot of stats, a lot of EVs a lot of abilities a lot of moves a lot of hold items. All those mix things up and even with the useless pokemon out the window there is still tons of possibilities.

Double woops once you consider playing the same person a second time. Surprise element's gone. Now even if you have millions of pokemons it's irrelevant. You know what your opponent has.
You can build more than one team. Must not have thought of that one huh?

Woops on your part.
Triple woops: There's only one pokemon active at any one time.
Double battles, triple battles, rotation battles...

Woops on your part there again.

That said, all of that would be very relevant, if it wasn't a spread sheet nonetheless. A very big spreadsheet. But a spreadsheet nonetheless. The match is decided before it starts... Except for the very bane of a good player's existence, the good'ol random factor. Isn't it nice when an attack just suddenly fails, fucking you over royally, due to a random statistic? Yeah. Pokemon seems saturated with that... "True" comp games eliminate random as much as possible. This isn't even like card games where you need the "random" factor of the draw... It's just there to fake some depth.
Random factors can turn the tide of battle. But random can work for both sides so nobody has a clear advantage in random.

But hey, if you enjoy it, that's cool. The idea of competitive pokemon to me is akin to competitive rock, paper and scissors - hilarious.
It's a heck of a lot more than competitive rock paper scissors as you are not limited by a small number of options.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
LeonLethality said:
samaugsch said:
Alternatively, you can have one ridiculously strong Pokemon that can one-hit kill all of your opponent's Pokemon.
Depends mainly on how well you built your sweeper and how good the opponent's team is at countering it. In most cases having one pokemon to take out the entire team is not going to cut it, because if they take it down you have no options left.

Also as the above person stated you are all scaled down to the same level.
Only under certain circumstances, like in the battle zone in diamond/pearl/platinum and with other human players. As for the situation of having my one Pokemon being taken down, I usually keep a good supply of healing items like hyper potion (most of the time, it's more cost efficient than max potion) and (max) revive. After that, the only issue is running out of PP for my Pokemon's attacks.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
A Flying/Electric pwned your power-leveled Ground?

Correct me if I'm wrong (never played past Red), but Electric is weak against Grass.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
A Flying/Electric pwned your power-leveled Ground?

Correct me if I'm wrong (never played past Red), but Electric is weak against Grass.
Yeah, but flying types aren't. If type matchups are that much of an importance to him, I would've taught the ground type rock moves if possible. Flying types are weak to rock types.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
FallenMessiah88 said:
Not much to say about this one. I just don't get Pokemon. I watched the TV series when i was a kid, but that's about it. But hey, I'm currently looking for some new games for my DS and this one and Okamiden are pretty high on my list so maybe this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...
To be fair though, there's not much to get in pokemon in general. Sure they add extra random crap that some people really enjoy like battle towers and endurance thingies and whatnot (if I remember correctly pokemon 8: electric boogalo even had a whole damn island to play with after you beat the story).

But as far as many people will care: You can safely ignore the story and the lack of cutscenes and voice acting make it easier to do so than any nonportable console game. You still collect critters, and you still make them cage fight other critters.

So, y'know. If you want some mindless entertainment then this will sure as hell fit the bill. Covered me off at least.