Zero Punctuation: Pokemon White

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
MonocleClaire said:
:/ This review kind of annoyed me and I honestly don't know why. I honestly don't care when games I like get ripped in to (I say, while looking up gold earning tips for Fable 2) but I honestly think that Yahtzee was just looking for excuses to dislike the game. Especially the part about the electric gym -- was he /seriously/ complaining about a *boss* battle not being super easy?

Also, what the fuck, one play style? There's about a million strategies you can use. You can hardly complain about strategy if all you're doing is /power levelling/. Also, we know you don't like turn-based combat. __This does not mean that there is something inherently wrong with the genre so please stop implying it.__

And seriously, how can you honestly say that the series hasn't budged an inch since POKEMON __FUCKING__ YELLOW? Are you shitting me?

Glad we both agree that N is a complete twat though. __Stop telling me you can talk to my Pokemon, you fucking freak__.

oh god this turned out being complete tl;dr sorry
One note I'd like here: Yes, there are many stratagies, however; only one is needed in campaign, and one for capture play. Those are embeded in meta lore as "all you need". and if you're not a multiplayer fan, that legacy holds up with the Level&super-effective; as the highest NPC has lv 75 and you can go to 100. However the many stratageis ARE needed in multiplayer, so I can't say either of you are "wrong".

Of course, for me I stand by my "evolve beyond stratagy", if only because I enjoy involuntary campaign challenges and am not one for multiplayer... (and that I like hack and slash)... so while I say it's probably good for gameplay if you like multiplayer stratagy, (or whatever it is I haven't thought of yet) I'm going to say that my personal preference in gameplay alone sides with yhatzee.

I still like the pokemon though, They're cute.

MonocleClaire

Sep 21, 2010
ZexionSephiroth said:
MonocleClaire said:
:/ This review kind of annoyed me and I honestly don't know why. I honestly don't care when games I like get ripped in to (I say, while looking up gold earning tips for Fable 2) but I honestly think that Yahtzee was just looking for excuses to dislike the game. Especially the part about the electric gym -- was he /seriously/ complaining about a *boss* battle not being super easy?

Also, what the fuck, one play style? There's about a million strategies you can use. You can hardly complain about strategy if all you're doing is /power levelling/. Also, we know you don't like turn-based combat. __This does not mean that there is something inherently wrong with the genre so please stop implying it.__

And seriously, how can you honestly say that the series hasn't budged an inch since POKEMON __FUCKING__ YELLOW? Are you shitting me?

Glad we both agree that N is a complete twat though. __Stop telling me you can talk to my Pokemon, you fucking freak__.

oh god this turned out being complete tl;dr sorry
One note I'd like here: Yes, there are many stratagies, however; only one is needed in campaign, and one for capture play. Those are embeded in meta lore as "all you need". and if you're not a multiplayer fan, that legacy holds up with the Level&super-effective; as the highest NPC has lv 75 and you can go to 100. However the many stratageis ARE needed in multiplayer, so I can't say either of you are "wrong".

Of course, for me I stand by my "evolve beyond stratagy", if only because I enjoy involuntary campaign challenges and am not one for multiplayer... (and that I like hack and slash)... so while I say it's probably good for gameplay if you like multiplayer stratagy, (or whatever it is I haven't thought of yet) I'm going to say that my personal preference in gameplay alone sides with yhatzee.

I still like the pokemon though, They're cute.

There's already been a hack and slash Pokemon game (lots in fact) and it's not very popular.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
MonocleClaire said:
There's already been a hack and slash Pokemon game (lots in fact) and it's not very popular.
Really?! Three questions, One; are they cannon? Two; where can I find them? Three; you don't mean pokepark do you? I thought that one was a mini-game game like mario party...

In any case thank you for telling me.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Amplify said:
Lucie said:
Jdb said:
I want to know why some people think Pokemon is a super-complex game. Raising Pokemon is complex, but when it comes to battles between similarly-raised Pokemon it's just crossing fingers and hoping the other guy doesn't send out scissors when paper is in play.
Or hope he doesn't send in a level 1 Rattata.
Tip: turn your volume down
I see your video of somebody being beaten by 6 F.E.A.R Rattatas and raise you a team of level 1s that doesn't break species clause beating level 100s.

That Snover...it must be killed...before it kills us all <.<

But seriously, that's the best video i have ever seen xD

Amplify

Aug 31, 2008
arc1991 said:
Amplify said:
Lucie said:
Jdb said:
I want to know why some people think Pokemon is a super-complex game. Raising Pokemon is complex, but when it comes to battles between similarly-raised Pokemon it's just crossing fingers and hoping the other guy doesn't send out scissors when paper is in play.
Or hope he doesn't send in a level 1 Rattata.
Tip: turn your volume down
I see your video of somebody being beaten by 6 F.E.A.R Rattatas and raise you a team of level 1s that doesn't break species clause beating level 100s.

That Snover...it must be killed...before it kills us all <.<

But seriously, that's the best video i have ever seen xD
Related, toughest trainer in the game being beaten with level 1s.

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Loop Stricken said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

The bane of Yahtzee's existence.
Yeah but she had TWO of the little bastards! And they switched out every time they used whateverthefuck move it is she has.
Still the Rock Tomb TM was in the area before the gym, and most Ground types can learn it. And should have learned it, expecting Flying types or not.
Dude, you need to chill out, not everyone plays the game competitively.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
Desert Tiger said:
They kinda changed it in this one. The EXP you receive is now based on your own level comparative with your opponent's. You could fight something level 50 and get 6000 exp with a level 40, or get 1200 with a level 60. Of course, it doesn't help that they give you an experience boosting item that was pretty much the rarest item in the game in the previous gens like halfway through the game...
Oh really? I was wondering how I was exp sharing a second pokemon and still keeping my first so much stronger than the rest. Are you referring to the exp share? Or is there some mystical item that I have never heard of in 12 years of pokemon?

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Liudeius said:
Desert Tiger said:
They kinda changed it in this one. The EXP you receive is now based on your own level comparative with your opponent's. You could fight something level 50 and get 6000 exp with a level 40, or get 1200 with a level 60. Of course, it doesn't help that they give you an experience boosting item that was pretty much the rarest item in the game in the previous gens like halfway through the game...
Oh really? I was wondering how I was exp sharing a second pokemon and still keeping my first so much stronger than the rest. Are you referring to the exp share? Or is there some mystical item that I have never heard of in 12 years of pokemon?
No, he's talking about Lucky Egg, which boosts your exp gain by 1.5x.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Nice review. I still like Pokemon (despite being old enough to know better), and would like to get one of the new games. (Not sure which one, though, maybe I'll wait until Pokemon Gray inevtably comes out).

Well, maybe I shold get back to playing Pokemon Platinum, I've been meaning to play it but I keep getting distacted...

Kebabas McSauce

Mar 23, 2010
*Raise hand* I haven't played pokemon and I'm indifferent about it.. and no one burned me so far... Wait , there's an angry mob at the do- OH GOD HELP ME THEY'RE POURING GASOLINE ON MY HOUSE

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I gotta ask, do the random Trainers you encounter still say the most retarded lines before challenging you?

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Primus1985 said:
Brad Shepard said:
wish we could have heard about how he felt about the plot, but ah well, shit happens.
Nintendo game...Plot??? Since when? :p
either A, you dident play the game, or B, you rushed though it without reading dialog. The game has a preety good story if your willing to forgive its faults.
Out of all I said, that got the most response, lol.

The story is mediocre at best, and thats being kind. Some slight changes in the bad guys motivation is about it. Their whole arguement of "People using Pokemon is wrong" is really foreshadowed by the fact they just want a Uber pokemon to rule everyone with.

Same basic Team Rocket principle, just with a more hypocrital approach.

And like I stated earlier no I wont forgive the outdated gameplay. Give me a Pokemon game where you can actually control the pokemon, on a 3D plane, and I might be interested again.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
zerobudgetgamer said:
Primus1985 said:
Brad Shepard said:
wish we could have heard about how he felt about the plot, but ah well, shit happens.
Nintendo game...Plot??? Since when? :p
Black/White decided to go beyond the simple "Team XYZ is trying to take over the world by awakening Pokemon they have no chance of controlling, leaving you to be the sole savior by somehow catching these would-be God Pokemon" and instead adopting something a bit more complex. Sure, you're still obtaining God-like Pokemon, but the purpose is because Reshiram and Zekrom were both used by the heroes who created/founded the Unova region (yes, unlike all other God Pokemon who simply create the universe then go about their way, these two were actually USED by someone else before you catch them). Team Plasma is basically the Pokemon world's PETA, and insists that we are abusing Pokemon by catching/raising them. By obtaining one of these two Heroes' Pokemon, they hope to convince (see Threaten) the world into giving up their Pokemon, leaving the pseudo-leader of Team Plasma (not the thin green-haired dude in Yahtzee's review, he's actually a pawn disguised as the leader) to be the sole user of Pokemon, and thus be able to rule the world.

Honestly, I find it hilarious how people like Yahtzee who have never picked up a Pokemon game since the first two generations are now trying to get back in to the series. I've seen a surprising number of them, and they all look at it with the same cynicism, commenting on how the formula hasn't changed in all these years.

Hey, technically Dragon Quest's formula hasn't changed in all 9 of its games, and Final Fantasy didn't really change their tune until XI, which is where a lot of people agree the true decline of the series began. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" as it were. Pokemon has seen several upgrades in it's core system over the years. True, the same "rock-paper-scissors" mechanic remains, but that mechanic is in ALL RPGs. If you see something bright red and spewing flame, whether it's in Pokemon or Dragon Age, what the fuck do you think you should hit it with? Lightning? And don't get me started on just picking a Pokemon based on its core element. Every Pokemon can learn moves outside of its core element, and most anyone who's played this series for more than three generations will agree that THAT is the only way to play this game. You pick the Pokemon you like, then you use them regardless of what your opponent tries to throw at you. With infinite-use TM's, there is literally no reason why you should have to catch Pokemon simply to beat that one gym or tackle that one tough trainer.

But maybe I'm going too far off into my own Pokemon fanaticism here. As much as I defend it, this review was quite entertaining. As I said, I've seen quite a few people trying to pick up this series, and it's always hilarious to see them nit-pick it and try to say it's not for them. Hey, you stopped at Pokemon Yellow. We all can tell this series wasn't for you then, it isn't going to be for you now, and it sure as shit won't be for you in another 15 years when they release Pokemon Chartreuse.
While the plot seems interesting, it gets old rather quick, the minor tweaks do noting to disguise the fact its still the same game from ten years ago.

Also your arguements on DragonQuest and FF are a bit off. First how many DragonQuest games even get to go outside Japan? Their market is the only one that like the same style over and over. Personally I like FFX, and FF12, hated FF 13. For me 12 was FF at its height its pinnacle, the way the series should have evolved and should have kept on evolving, but noooo they actually devolved it for 13.

Does anyone know why 13 was crap and played liek something out the dark ages? Because all the hardcore turn based RPG fans hated 12... WTF? Japan and its RPG's have never caught up to modern standards. If you look at Infinite undiscovery, Lost Oddesy, Enchanted Arms, or other console RPGs from Japan, you'll see that aside from very slightly different battle mechanics their all basically the same. No evolution.

Ironically Pokemon's problem is they have never "Evolved"(LOL pun intended:p) in 15 years.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
lol! that was pretty good!

just to be fair though... pokemon is hardly a niche...

it would be like a film critic going "ugh, fine, because a couple of his fanboys keep pestering me, I guess I'll take a look at this 'Steven Spielberg' guy..."

I like pokemon. I had the most fun with gold...

there, I would have two goals:

1) train pokemon that could learn the widest range of different type's abilities (this lead to me pretty much soloing it with a dragonite in the end)

2) get pokemon that can use some form of 'sleep'!!

sleep is great, thats how I beat the level 137 corruptix I encountered in my random slightly dodgy PC emulator version! :D

I find the latest pokemon uninspiring... I can't get attached to them at all... just random shapes... with random abilities... I think it was better when you had the show, and the trading cards ect... could really get invested and excited in different pokemon...

MonocleClaire

Sep 21, 2010
ZexionSephiroth said:
MonocleClaire said:
Really?! Three questions, One; are they cannon? Two; where can I find them? Three; you don't mean pokepark do you? I thought that one was a mini-game game like mario party...

In any case thank you for telling me.
A) No, cannons are high-powered military weapons.

B) Your local game shop you nitwit.

D) No. I'm talking about Mystery Dungeon.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Ironically, when Nintendo actually released a way for players to obtain Celebi semi-reliably outside of Japan* back near the end of Gen 4, they release Gen 5 anyway, where theres a chance that said new event Pokemon would have to be from distrivutions only, Meloetta doesnt even have a location ingame..meaning they're either making it distribution only, or it's actually has a location in the 3rd version. :x

*IIRC, Japan has had Celebi events for ages, had a Celebi bonus disc with their version of Pokemon Colisium whereas the American version had Jirachi instead and in the UK, didn't even get a Bonus Disc allthough we did get Jirachi in our version of Channel just because the E-Reader linkability was removed....

And even then, they had a global WiFi event for Jirachi twice to unlock the pokewalker course.... -.-"

Trilliandi

Feb 1, 2011
Having bought both games, along with every other one up until now, and playing them comparitively I can't help but utterly agree. Honestly, I keep playing in hopes that they somehow get better and meanwhile wonder if Gamefreak even knows what the hell they're doing anymore these days if not flicking bogies at the wall and making them into new pokemon... alright, the new pokemon were nice enough (Hey wow, took them 15 years to figure out that Fire/Dragon type makes SENSE, amazing...), but everything else is an absolute fucking mess.

The plot hasn't changed at all, the evil teams just get more and more irritating each fucking game, now introducing Team PETA... The few moments I wasn't utterly droning into the ''Ol Standby' state-of-mind when paying this thing was the few times they decided to pan out the camera. What the hell was that about? Are we showing off the DS's graphics? What, NOW?! After they just released the damned 3DS, and made FIVE other games on this damned system, NOW we're showing off what the DS can do in this game? Maybe they just think anyone outside of Japan is easily impressed by this? I was impressed alright, but not in a good way...

The bike controls keep getting worse, the shops seem to refuse to sell more and more useful items each game and it seems that the damned elemental stones they keep adding MORE fucking pokemon that NEED them will NEVER be sold again, the bike controls are just awful, for some reason they kept the fucking letters in these games this entire time as if people are using them to send someone RIGHT ACROSS FROM THEM a sentence, the bike's driving is shitty, they keep the useless HM's and even made them MORE useless and still refuse to make them into fucking TM's and be DONE with it even though they're practically the SAME in this game now but OH NO you still need them each for FIVE MINUTES, and on a different note the bike's controls REALLY just suck...

All in all a DECENT game, but it feels more like a bit of a backwards step... off a flight of stairs......leading to HELL...