Zero Punctuation: Portal 2

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
Oh man you think I am a troll? Fantastic. Thank you for making my day.
Not really. I mean, compare our post counts and anyone can see I wouldn't even have enough data to call you that.

But that comment was a bit troll-ish, or at least on the troll end of useless. I apologize, won't do it again.

wiiwiieddie

Mar 3, 2010
I'm suprised Yahtzee missed the chance to say, "This game is Nolan North's best proformance ever"
It'd sound like a complament to people who didnt play the game, but people who did play will get it and also find it kind of true

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
earlier with portal 1 it was cake. Now i can't say the word "space" without my friends going "SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!" "so much much space got to see it all!" "SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!"

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
You can't really judge P2 without clearly realising the coop is the final third of the campaign.

Pacerman

Nov 18, 2009
alinos said:
Pacerman said:
I disagree that Portal 1 was better. The more environmental and less "puzzley" bits broke up the usual monotony of exit elevator, solve puzzle, enter elevator. I'l admit it would have been nice if they were more open ended, giving the scenery based areas multiple solutions and leaving the 1-2 strict solutions to the test chambers.
but without the puzzle your essentially in a corridor game, sure you can move off into a corner and do nothing. but it's not helpful it's just there.

My issue was that i never really felt like i had met a challenge between the infuriating loading screens that appeared approximatly every 15 seconds.

There was no point in the game where i felt i'd actually achieved anything, even the boss fight was insanely easy.
Well then maybe your just insanely good. I found the final boss to be way tougher then the final boss in Portal 1. Portal 2 has plenty of challenging bits that stumped me for a good few minutes. They are notably pushed toward the back to give new players that much needed tutorial. The more scenery areas are still in fact, puzzles, they just don't give you a million surfaces to portal onto when there's still really only 1 or 2 real solutions. You might be out of the classroom, but your still testing.

I'm not saying it's perfect (though to even have to mention that means it's quite close) but Portal 1 does have faults that no one seems to want to call out. Such as the lack of scenery and how dizzy and confused you can get if your portals aren't straight, something they seem to have fixed in Portal 2. I love the hell out of Portal 2, and just had more fun with it then Portal 1.

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
Figured this would happen. Portal 2 is great, and I think that it's better than Portal 1 (I personally enjoyed the story sequences), but it's less surprisingly good, and that surprise is what partly made Portal 1 so great.

Also, yes. Portal 3 should be in space.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Somewhere I'm enjoying the wonderful irony of hearing people say "Meh, portal 2 only awesome, and now I'm disappointed".

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
I completely agree! Mind you, I did quite like the story and found it fun to play through but I would have preferred harder puzzles in Single Player/less hunt the portable surface. Yes Valve, it's pretty and all that but it doesn't feel like a mental challenge, it feels like a visual one. It speaks eons about the Story campaign that I was tempted to look at the walkthroughs to find where the **** the portable surface is in some places, but never for the puzzles.

Also, Co-Op is a lot harder and way, way, way more fun.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I think the puzzles are pretty tough, especially in the last co-op set of chambers and non-story achievements.
I, for one, liked the "look around this detailed environment for this spot of portal-able wall" parts, which were only in the middle chapters.
I, for one, think the "custard pie to the face" sense of humor is a step up (or an expansion) from GLaDOS's old insults.

Quillpaw

Sep 30, 2009
Of all the opinions I was expecting for this review, this was not it. I'm not happy, I'm not disappointed, I'm...well, I dunno. He does have some good points (particularly the "hunt around this giant room for the one portalable surface bit- fuck youuuu bowels of 1960s Aperture Science!)- but I was expecting more saliva.

The bit about the fanbase needs to be taken and posted as some sort of warning on any gaming forum ever. Cake jokes aren't funny anymore, please just stop.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I like how bitter you are about Yug getting to play p-body while you were stuck as atlas.

pwned123456

Feb 4, 2011
ActionDan said:
I agree with all you said about it. It was rather easy aside from maybe 1 or 2 puzzles near the end.
so the easy except for the last three made me scream whenplaying portal

ariamaki

Arrogant Designer
May 19, 2008
I have no positive or negative things to say about the review-- It was solid enough, but...
Am I the only one who is pretty sure the first corrupt sphere was a -direct- reference to Seven Days?
"I ONLY WANTED TO GO INTO SPAAAAACE!" indeed.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I didn't exactly like Portal 1 once it grew with fans, damn the FUCKING CAKE MEME!! The companion cube appearance was nice, and no mention of cake helped. Portal 2 is a freaking great game and the Slap-Stick humor gave it a slight more charm then the quieter jokes of the first one. Yahtzee got a lot of this review, in my opinion, justice. The only actual complaint with this one was the whole it being shallow and everything, theres enough jokes within the game, hidden stuff and references to make me happy, hell listening to wheatly gave insight to the rest of the game. Bottom line, solid review, but just some stuff I felt was a little dragged on.

Just be glad that there is a new meme on its way and that one is ACTUALLY pretty funny.

EDIT: Sorry, but the whole "It worked for TF 2" makes sense and yes, the hat thing has gone out of control [HOW IN BALLS IS A MISC ITEM, WORTH MORE THEN ANY HAT?!?!] But its not like its a bad thing, they just implemented trade HORRIBLY. Restraints valve, restraints. If its a misc. item, no matter what item, is worth 2 lvl 3 metals or a FUCKING HAT for 2 misc. Get the idea. Again, trade = good OUT OF TRADE SERVERS, ya see, if you want a good trade experience, jump onto any server that is not a trade server. Because on a trade server, everything is jumped up a few hats per item. Seriously, trade is not bad, just implemented very poorly.

Thomas Bright

Feb 2, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Very, VERY surprised he didn't complain at all about the shameless retconning of the first game. Given how he feels about shameless sequels, even if Portal 2 doesn't qualify as one by a wide margin, I would think yoinking away a happy ending in a patch, just so there can be a sequel, would be on his top-ten list of biggest dick moves a developer can pull.

That, and
the guy with the British accent becoming a villain
...something he's raged against very loudly in the past.

if you'd listened to the directors commantary in the first one they were planing to have that robot that drags chell away in the game it just had to wait for a patch as they didn't get it worked out

Cptn_Squishy

Mar 4, 2009
No kidding. When I played this game (after my little brother bought it) I only had one serious complaint and it came in the form of two words....

'Sixty bucks?!'

Even though its a wonderful game on pretty much all levels, Portal really does lack replayability, making a $60 purchase difficult to justify. I've spent MUCH more on Rock Band, but I've gotten so many hours, and I STILL play it. That makes it well beyond worth the purchase.

Bring Portal 2 down to $20 and I will snag it crazy fast. Until then, just point me in the direction of someone else who has it and we'll play co-op....