Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia

Plackt

Jan 2, 2009
Just in case you don't look back after a while, in your Fallout 3 review, you mentioned that there is a reason why no-one has combined real-time with turn-based combat. Just thought I'd mention that Command And Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath does exactly that,(Global Conquest mode) could make a good review.

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
i loved this game, i truly did.
As soon as i saw this review i thought yahtzee was spot on about everything, especially the thing about the combat being crap and the no dying and comparing it against Mirrors Edge (which i also liked) and Prey not being able to make it work,
I have been playing warrior within this week and it gets annoying now that you have to keep going back if you make a free-running mistake, jumping out to a pole in the slightly wrong direction cuz the camera screws up etc.
The battle system is the only thing bad about this game apart from the ridiculous (yet epic) ending

BTW can someone show me how to have that scroll over thing to conceal things like spoilers in the forum.

EDIT: Also, Two Thrones/Rival Swords was definitely the best one, I hated sands of time

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
A lot of you seem to be missing the point that its not the same series...it carries the Prince of Persia name, but it is a completely new character starting down a completely new story.

dcsobral

Sep 11, 2008
MaxFan said:
Do give us credit. As an American, it really bothered me that the characters had American accents. I mean, come on, it's supposed to be Prince of Persia
I don't get this argument. In fact, I abhor this argument. If he is from Persia, then he should speak Farsi, not Farsi-accented English. Now, if learning Farsi to understand PoP is too much trouble to go for (and, for me, it is), then plain, unaccented English is fine.

shadowho

Sep 11, 2008
I was waiting for that! It pretty much summarize what I think of the game beside saying that PoP Warrior Within was bad... but I think you were a little bit gentle because this prince of persia is really really bad... there is no real combat at all like he said it's just bosses or mini-bosses... and you cannot die...never... but anyway it's not the real prince so I don't even know why I bother... I just hope Prince Of Persia The Movie will be good!

XiZeL

Dec 28, 2008
true, i started playing the title on PC, its verry pretty and all, but lacked to keep me interested.

BazBake

Jan 2, 2009
Great game. First PoP I've ever played and it's actually made me love platforming again. But Yahtzee's complaint isn't with the platforming, it's with the combat.

And I don't think his description of combat fits. The slow-motion blocking tutorial-style nonsense really is obnoxious, but once you get the parry move you never have to see it again. Just get in close, parry your enemy's sword attack, and unleash a combo.

And the combo is the answer to the whole "only one attack works" thing. After you pull off the first attack (like a gauntlet throw) you can pretty much throw in whatever attack you want after it until your combo ends. Once you figure out how combat works, it's actually a pretty complex and original system.

And the complaints about dying? Really? No one ever complains about Call of Duty games and you auto-save and restart after every 2-minute battle. You KNOW you screwed up in PoP, it's just a contextual auto-save system. Kind of like Oddworld, in fact.

P.S. Hold the block button and you move a whole lot faster.

Kekon3

Dec 4, 2008
i did not see the part where he recommended it coming i thought he would hate it!!!

Kekon3

Dec 4, 2008
BazBake said:
Great game. First PoP I've ever played and it's actually made me love platforming again. But Yahtzee's complaint isn't with the platforming, it's with the combat.

And I don't think his description of combat fits. The slow-motion blocking tutorial-style nonsense really is obnoxious, but once you get the parry move you never have to see it again. Just get in close, parry your enemy's sword attack, and unleash a combo.

And the combo is the answer to the whole "only one attack works" thing. After you pull off the first attack (like a gauntlet throw) you can pretty much throw in whatever attack you want after it until your combo ends. Once you figure out how combat works, it's actually a pretty complex and original system.

And the complaints about dying? Really? No one ever complains about Call of Duty games and you auto-save and restart after every 2-minute battle. You KNOW you screwed up in PoP, it's just a contextual auto-save system. Kind of like Oddworld, in fact.

P.S. Hold the block button and you move a whole lot faster.

welcome to Escapist P.S. Set up an avitar and create a forum for two instant badges

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
BrightDeathFriend said:
I can understand why he dislikes Mirrors Edge. The only positive features of that game are the graphics and, i guess, the plot. The gameplay looks so frustrating, especially when she does a forward roll. >_>
If it had a better camera angle...then maybe it would be a game worth renting at least. lol
Well, it doesn't sound like you've actually played it. Being as that I own and have beaten the game, let me tell you that the movement in Mirrors Edge is pretty intuitive. Yahtzees' review sounds like he watched the story while someone else played it. So in that sense, I find his review hard to swollow. I just accept he didn't care for it that much, which goes hand in hand with anyone with an opinion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; reserve your judgment until you've actually had some hands on experiance.

mambi

Oct 16, 2008
Vlane said:
mambi said:
Vlane said:
daedrick said:
More than 3 sequels = automatic failure. Like always... but people dont learn.
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, MGS, CoD, etc.
Mario-wrong
Zelda-wrong
Metroid- somewhat wrong
MGS- very wrong
CoD- my god you're stupid
Get your facts right before you post stupid stuff like this. All these franchises (fourth installments) I named got very good reviews and sell pretty good.
oh i miss understood what he was trying to say and you misunderstood me. i thought he was agreeing with the "more than three installments rule". I think Mario, Zelda, Metroid, MGS, CoD are all good games and i know that they sold well.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
asam92 said:
i loved this game, i truly did.

EDIT: Also, Two Thrones/Rival Swords was definitely the best one, I hated sands of time
It's nice to hear another positive opinion on a PoP game other than Sands of Time. :) My favourite of the series had to have been Two Thrones also. The second game would have been better if it had Farah in it as well. At least the combat was still improved of SoT.