Zero Punctuation: Prototype 2

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Ha, one of the shittiest games I've played in a while and Yahtzee gives it a positive review. Well, positive for Yahtzee.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Can you pull the same trick with prototype as with Batman and just change the system date to unlock stuff?

Also, am I the pretty one? I am aren't I?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
He thinks I'm pretty!
So Heller has an even worse dress sense than Mercer? Well...

*puts on sunglasses*

...collar me disappointed.
YYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw said:
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>
The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I knew you'd like it, even though it's been getting ripped by critics. I haven't played it, but I did like the first one. Lots of funny parts, the pretty one and Liverpool especially.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
This is pretty much what I thought was going to be the case. Fun game, but tries too take itself too seriously.

I can't make it to the Expo this year sadly, but I can always shower praises on you guys and girls in the comments until I can.

May it be the first of many!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Funniest ZP in quite a while.

I'm not sure what I'll think of the game - I enjoyed the first in a mindless psychotic spectacle kind of way, but the second sounds bleh.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I found this episode had a ton of amusing quips.
One really did make me laugh out loud though:
"...so what with Alex Mercer being established by the end of Prototype as having the destructive potential of Godzilla... operating a forklift without regulated training..."

Excellent episode.

Also, I really did enjoy the first, so I'll be getting the second.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
So what's that, the 5th game he's actually gone so far as to recommend? Quite impressive considering its a sequel.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Unless I take time off uni, I can't make it to the expo. I'll see what people say about it and maybe do it next year.

Hmm. Maybe Prototype 2 will make a good rental for me. Also, was that imp a John Defoe cameo? (last minute or so of the video)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ho hum, I finally saw the first Infamous being played the other day. Looks incredibly tedious and protracted, with cut and paste enemies, horrible story telling and ugly grey scenery and animations. Is the original Prototype any better? Come to think of it, is Infamous 2 any better?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
porpoise hork said:
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw said:
The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.
We British just pick on everyone. Seem as having an empire isn't cool anymore we've gotten accustomed to maintaining our ego's by making fun of absolutely everybody around us. The only variation depends on where specifically you live. For example, I'm from Lincolnshire where we don't get many Scousers so it's not so much fun to insult them. Yorkshiremen on the other hand...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
maninahat said:
Ho hum, I finally saw the first Infamous being played the other day. Looks incredibly tedious and protracted, with cut and paste enemies, horrible story telling and ugly grey scenery and animations. Is the original Prototype any better? Come to think of it, is Infamous 2 any better?
The answers to one and three would be no. As for number two if you like running around in GTA and blowing shit up then the answer is yes. If you dislike rampant violence then no.

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
You're now going to have to go to Liverpool and apologize. It is the way of things.

Also, having Yahtzee look right at me at the end is truly terrifying. Like being noticed by a lion while on safari. Or a Liverpudlian.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Its nice to see I am not the only one that feels prototype tries to get too serious for its own good.

I was not expecting "Saints Row" level of randomness and tongue-in-cheekness, but Heller is written like a rather generic "bad ass with a vengeance". Its hard to take the character seriously when he moans about his family while killing pedestrians using a grandma suit like the villain of MIB 1. I have the same issue with Bellic in GTA4.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
porpoise hork said:
Yatzee actually plays games as soon as he can (hence the Radnet content in the review), but he takes up to a week for each reviewed game/pair of games. Then he takes a week to write the review, because his fast talking in 5 minutes must take many lines.

As for the review, I'm surprised Yatzee didn't mention the side missions still being somewhat repetitive. They're still fun, though, especially when you jump from 100 feet in the air onto an unsuspecting PMC scientist (who may be a reluctant, oppressed PMC scientist) and bathe in his blood as you punch his face in.
It's even more interesting when that scientist turns out to be an evolved person with which to do glorious battle.
I just hope that the game doesn't lose my interest like Saints Row the Third's sandbox did.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Ah... yes... the best thing about those games has always been the "wheeee!" factor that comes from doing whatever cathartic destruction you like.

therandombear

Sep 28, 2009
Ya, the story in Prototype 2 was trying too hard to be taken serious. I too did muse on the fact that Heller kept saying "I will save all the innocent people being turned into infected, by the cruel and merciless Mercer and Blackwatch!" 2 minutes later you're chugging down these innocents for health and fun.

The leveling up system, or rather, the skill points and perks in this game I felt was a bit stupid. Most of the perks were double ups of each other in different talent trees, which were pretty "unimaginable" imo, when compared to the rest of abilities you have. Why not get a talent tree which would make your attacks a bit more "unique" perhaps, adding a second effect maybe on the black hole tendril attack?

Other then that though, I did have lots of fun in the game, roaming about body surfing on people and such! :D

EDIT: And using the claw abilites were much more satisfying in this game imo, along with the tendrils or hammerfists. Still sad they removed the hammertoss ability, was fun to use. :<

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
maninahat said:
No, its not better than Infamous.

The issue of being both superhero games set in an open world city, released at the same time is that it lead to a lot of unfair comparisons. Truth is, they are not that similar... While Infamous is mostly a 3rd person shooter in an open world setting, Prototype controls a lot closer to old sandbox games, which is no surprise considering the developers' previous game was "Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" and this game feels a lot like that with an original IP.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Wait, wait, wait, whoa, whoa, whoa... isn't "take itself a little less seriously" the exact thing that ruined the Saint's Row series? I DO NOT WANT ALEX MERCER IN A RAINBOW WIG KILLING CIVILIANS WITH HIS "DILDOFIST" ABILITY, SIR.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Almost every single review I've read: Prototype 2 is a bland, uninspired sequel
Zero Punctuation: I kind of liked Prototype 2

For a while there I thought I was living in bizarro world o_O

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
You know for someone who is supposedly appalled at child killing mods you sure make a lot of jokes about murdering children.

And some of the stuff you joke about I wish they'd actually put in one of these games.

Like the broken glass slip and slide or toddler shotput.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The Black Watch recruited from the Scottish Highlands. I think maybe their representation is more accurate in Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars than in this game from how it is described here.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Hello then. Would that be John Defoe I see next to Jason Voorhees in that Blackwatch potentials lineup?

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Did anyone have the feeling that the original Prototype was to be taken seriously? I mean, there was the odd bit of storytelling here and there, and the web of intrigue appealed to the weird compulsion to collect every bit of scrap left lying around, but the game was so hilariously over the top that I always just assumed it to be written in a slight tongue-in-cheek-way.

Bottom line, if Prototype 2 is exactly like Prototype 1 only newer, Mr. Heller and I are going to have a blast :)

ANeM

Aug 19, 2007
The Escapist Expo thing sounded interesting right up until the "North Carolina" part. It seems like if you're going to hold a convention it would probably be best not to hold it in a place that would automatically alienate a large portion of your audience.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
porpoise hork said:

VonKlaw said:
As someone who lives there it's about the same as any other place in England, people just say more shit about it.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
What's this? A Yahtzee review that makes me interested in a game instead of adding it to my big 'ol ignore list? Color me shocked!

If I weren't on a budget I might even pick it up. As it is, I'll wait for the price to come down or for more money to magic itself into existence.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
I wish I could attend the Escapist Expo and see you in your manliness yourself, YZ. But I'm constrained and cannot make it in time. :(

Anyways, it's interesting that a lot of sandbox games recently have been in good quality. Might take a look at the two Prototype games, now.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Lost it at "To the gulag!"...
ANeM said:
The Escapist Expo thing sounded interesting right up until the "North Carolina" part. It seems like if you're going to hold a convention it would probably be best not to hold it in a place that would automatically alienate a large portion of your audience.
Now, now, they're not alienating anyone.

They just want to show that there is a first class citizen.

And if are on the wrong team, you are not that first class citizen.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
My interest in prototype 2 took a plunge when I heard Mercer wouldnt' be the protagonist. When I heard I'd actually be hunting him down in order to kill him I lost rest of whatever desire I had to buy this game.

And now according to Yahtzee they'll be painting Mercer as some ridiculous saturday morning villain, in order to make the new guy nice and heroic like. Yeah, I'll pass on this game.

Altered Nova

Apr 5, 2012
That was one of the funniest Zero Punctuation videos I've ever seen, seriously was laughing my butt off for most of it. Those quips were the best.

I did like the first Prototype but the unbalanced powers and punishing difficulty eventually turned me off of it and I never completed it. Glad to hear that that the sequel fixes at least one of those issues, might actually pick it up now.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
porpoise hork said:

VonKlaw said:
We're really not, its just another easy target for people who cant think of anything original. Its kind of like rednecks or Mexicans in the US.

flibbertigibbet2

Jun 8, 2010
Just going to say: the escapist get-together really should be moved away from NC until they get their heads on straight.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Littaly said:
Almost every single review I've read: Prototype 2 is a bland, uninspired sequel
Zero Punctuation: I kind of liked Prototype 2

For a while there I thought I was living in bizarro world o_O
Well, its still kinda fun, hence the 6-7 scores.

But at the same time its that bland kind of fun. Dunno how to describe it properly.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
RetroFlush said:
Very fun review, as always.

Unfortunate time to mention North Carolina, by the way.
Well, it is in the part of the state that voted against bigotry [http://i.imgur.com/EkCqG.png]. :(

It's also in the same country that passed the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and other fun things. Sometimes we have to deal with idiocy. Luckily these days, the Internet is around to make noise about it.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Abedeus said:
ANeM said:

What are you talking about exactly?

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
So that's what's wrong with Alex Mercer's outfit. I always thought it looked rather 'unique', but I guess I had a hard time figuring it out, what with the screen always being filled with the blood and intestines of innocent bystanders flying about in a sea of bullets.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
yahtzee that is a great idea!
prototype three: starring sinestro! (silver age sinestro that is)
that would be glorious

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
I rather agree with Mr.Croshaw here. The game may not be great but it really does beat a lot of others in sheer "lets go mess around a bit" fun. If the series took a Saints Row 3 approach to jsut intintionally making itself over-the-top silly it would probably be a far greater game.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
ANeM said:
This seems to suprise a lot of people. But North Carolina is a gameing Hub. A lot of major design schools and game developing companies are located here. Epic for example being one of the most well known.

Also The Escapist is based there and it would be QUITE silly for them to have to fly somewhere to go to their own convention now wouldn't it?

:D Lucky for me i love in NC

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
cricket chirps said:
ImSkeletor said:
Abedeus said:
ANeM said:

This seems to suprise a lot of people. But North Carolina is a gameing Hub. A lot of major design schools and game developing companies are located here. Epic for example being one of the most well known.

Also The Escapist is based there and it would be QUITE silly for them to have to fly somewhere to go to their own convention now wouldn't it?

No dude, I live in virginia and im pretty happy to see the expo in North Carolina. I just have no idea of what hes talking about interms of the "Second class citizen thing."

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Thanks Yahtzee yet again for an hilarious video.

I was looking forward for this title and I was reluctant at first,because the game looked the same as the first one in every aspect.

I might take a look at it once it releases on the PC in a month.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I really loved first game, but I will wait before buying Prototype 2. I'd like all DLC and challenges from the start.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Another hilarious winner from yahtzee! Did he just recommend it, though? I believe the whole point of the inFamous/Prototype lingere contest was to find out which series was better, until Yahtzee's "The World is Yet to Rcognize My Genius" makes it to stores.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
I loved Prototype 2. They made just about everything better.

Yes. That includes Heller. Nevermind the fact that starting the game to find out that Mercer mysteriously got all his powers taken away from him, obviously so that the gameplay wouldn't suffer would really piss me off (looks at inFamous 2), there was NOTHING to like about the guy!

Mercer was a whiny, cowardly sociopath who released a virus on a city because of his paranoia. Then he becomes a megalomaniac.

Heller is a BAMF who wants revenge for his wife and daughter while never losing sight of his humanity. It was to the point where I'd try to harm as few civilians as possible.

Just my opinion though. No need to go spreading it around.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
People are surprised Yahtzee enjoyed a game about open destruction, psychopathy, and ridiculous mayhem enacted on civilians, where the plot barely matters? It's almost like they don't understand what pushes his buttons.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So what, Zero Punctuation is the only truly positive review for a game?

Um... Did the sky fall when I wasn't looking?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, Heller was really bad. He's basically a sociopath, so they had to try way too hard to make Blackwatch look more evil than Heller is so that Heller can be the "good" guy of the story. Sorry Radical, but Heller is still an insanely evil son of a ***** who isn't even remotely relatable, and having him not kill one guy because he finds out that the guy has a daughter too doesn't change that.

The final boss fight was insanely disappointing too. Mercer is far stronger than that. Wish he would have actually put up a fight. The final boss of the first game was hard as hell and Alex beat that, so why is he such a disappointment now? And they tried to hand wave that away by having Heller taunt Mercer by saying "What's the matter, getting rusty?". Really Radical? You know your final boss sucks ass, so instead of making a better one, you just call Alex rusty and leave it at that? BOO!

Oh, and what's with the random, unexplained reappearance of Dana Mercer? In the first game, she gets kidnapped. Alex looks for her, doesn't find her, you never hear about her again... Until this game, when she's suddenly fine in the red zone. wut. :|

Still good gameplay though, except for how they fucked up the controls compared to the first game.

Katya Topolkaraeva

Dec 9, 2010
No surprise here. It's an open sandbox game so, no matter the quality Yhatzee will love it. Just as he will hate any very prescripted linear game no matter its quality (ie Uncharted 2, 3)

SpaceGhost

May 5, 2012
Can we make a reality show pitting the Boys from Liverpool against the Guidos from the Jersey Shore in arena-style battles to the death?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
For shame Yathzee, us fine people of Liverpool are kind and gentle folk. Its those crazy evolutionary throwbacks from Manchester you've got to watch out for :p

Well I should be going, those car stereos and hubcaps won't liberate themselves now.

captcha: tuckered out

Well a long night of stealing I mean finding items laying around so I can return them to lost property does make me tired <.<

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
The only thing this game has done for me so far is to act as a painful reminder that even though I picked up the original Prototype on launch date, I still have yet to actually finish it.

Other than that, this seems just like Prototype 1, just with a different protagonist, which isn't really a bad thing, considering how fun the original was.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Played it from Friday all the way through to Monday 4AM. Worth it. Fun game, really improves upon the last one. Not game of the year, but its one of the few time I've had a lot of FUN with a game.
Alex Mercer also seems to work better as a straight up Villain than an undecided Protagonist.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Dammit! First Yahtzee extra in months and it was an advertisement.

I keep hoping.

Aside from that, pretty hilarious outing this time. Thanks!

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
TheCaptain said:
Did anyone have the feeling that the original Prototype was to be taken seriously? I mean, there was the odd bit of storytelling here and there, and the web of intrigue appealed to the weird compulsion to collect every bit of scrap left lying around, but the game was so hilariously over the top that I always just assumed it to be written in a slight tongue-in-cheek-way.

Bottom line, if Prototype 2 is exactly like Prototype 1 only newer, Mr. Heller and I are going to have a blast :)
But honestly I was hoping to see if there was more about how repetitive Prototype 2 was to 1, I mean I think I went halfway through Prototype 1 before never picking it up again because I just got so bored since it was so repetitive. Yah it wasn't bad it's just even with all the abilities it got old real fast especially when all the new enemies are just beefier versions of ones you've been fighting for a long time.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I can agree with Yahtzee on this one. Prototype 2 was fun while it lasted, but once it's done, it's just... done. And forgettable. I remember it holding my attention at the time, but I honestly don't recall much of what happened in the game.

The ending is also incredibly dumb and very rushed. But I have to say, there's something awesome about moving the way Heller does. I wouldn't pay for this game, but it was a fantastic rent.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
GeorgW said:
I knew you'd like it, even though it's been getting ripped by critics. I haven't played it, but I did like the first one. Lots of funny parts, the pretty one and Liverpool especially.
In truth, I don't really take critics that seriously besides just a few like Yahtzee himself. Most of them tend to judge the game on quality, on plot, and on facts such as gameplay while they're not interested from the start but play it anyways due to being paid. For Yahtzee, the reason he liked this was because it improved from the first Prototype along with having much to do if you're killing time.

But yeah if a ton of critics are ripping a game then it does leave you wondering.. anyways I liked this review and I laughed quite a few times. Good show of course Yahtzee, i'll probably never get bored of your episodes (besides, I myself have seen every single one so.. doubt I will stop now anyways for whatever reason).
Of course there's a lot of difference between reviewers and you have to find a good fit for yourself. In the end, as long as you're enjoying a game the review shouldn't matter, I only use them when deciding on what games to get. Don't know what kind of odd review you'd prefer, but I'd rather prefer a review to judge a game on quality and gameplay facts... ^^

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
ImSkeletor said:
cricket chirps said:
ImSkeletor said:
Abedeus said:
ANeM said:

No dude, I live in virginia and im pretty happy to see the expo in North Carolina. I just have no idea of what hes talking about interms of the "Second class citizen thing."
North Carolina recently voted to ban civil unions and gay marriage, effectively making gays and lesbians in the state 2nd-class citizens.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
More Just Cause 2? Yahtzee, are you mad? Between the boring as boring driving missions and the extremely repetitive combat, there just isn't enough game there to really justify saying studios should do more of it. Even the best parts of the game are just "run grapple shoot repeat".

P.S. Thanks

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Escapist Expo?? Finally something I can go to without a plane ticket or multiple tanks of gas :D

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
cricket chirps said:
ANeM said:

North Carolina is awesome :D

okay it gets pretty boring but it's a pretty safe place to live...unless you're in downtown Durham loll uh oh

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
duchaked said:
it's a pretty safe place to live...unless you're in downtown Durham loll uh oh
I only know one person who was shot here. :(

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ImSkeletor said:
Abedeus said:
ANeM said:

61% of NC thinks homosexuals, bi and transgender people don't deserve the right to marry each others. Even a civil marriage.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
RetroFlush said:

So that state IS the one that's full of homophobes. Wait I mean full of "concerned citizens."

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
The ending of this game made me want to go out and punch someone in the jugular
MFW ending
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004719
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004720
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004721
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004722
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004723

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005345

SpaceGhost

May 5, 2012
Ed130 said:
RetroFlush said:

So that state IS the one that's full of homophobes. Wait I mean full of "concerned citizens."
I live Sanford, FL adjacent. Thank goodness we aren't full of homophobes. We're full of...oh, wait...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
GeorgW said:
Caramel Frappe said:
GeorgW said:
In truth, I don't really take critics that seriously besides just a few like Yahtzee himself. Most of them tend to judge the game on quality, on plot, and on facts such as gameplay while they're not interested from the start but play it anyways due to being paid. For Yahtzee, the reason he liked this was because it improved from the first Prototype along with having much to do if you're killing time.

But yeah if a ton of critics are ripping a game then it does leave you wondering.. anyways I liked this review and I laughed quite a few times. Good show of course Yahtzee, i'll probably never get bored of your episodes (besides, I myself have seen every single one so.. doubt I will stop now anyways for whatever reason).
Of course there's a lot of difference between reviewers and you have to find a good fit for yourself. In the end, as long as you're enjoying a game the review shouldn't matter, I only use them when deciding on what games to get. Don't know what kind of odd review you'd prefer, but I'd rather prefer a review to judge a game on quality and gameplay facts... ^^
Yea I see where you're getting at. It's like those critics who judge a movie for being poorly done yet it's far more amusing and entertaining then say an oscar winning movie that bored me to death. All depends on people's tastes as far as one could guess, and we all can agree that if Yahtzee had a positive feeling for this game, then it's got to be good somehow when playing it no?
But movie critiquing is entirely different, the enjoyment of them is largely subjective, and movie critics focus on entirely the wrong things. First off, they don't handle genres the way we do. For games, a genre is how the gameplay is, which will cater to different people. Within this predefined gameplay frame, which the audience already knows it likes, the game can either succeed or not, which is an objective statement. However it can succeed in different ways, and some will appeal more to different people, but usually game reviewers will present these differences for the player to decide for themselves if they succeeded.

For movies, genres aren't defined by how it will affect the audience, but rather about how it succeeds at fulfilling certain pre-decided plot lines and twists. In my opinion, the first part is vastly more important regarding what kind of audience will like the movie. Secondly, most movie critics will value specific genres over other, and not really address what kind of audience will like the movie, assuming every moviegoer is like them. That way they aren't leaving it up to the audience and are therefore completely worthless in my opinion. Moviebob understands that, and that's why he's the only movie critic I like.

Anyway, this became quite the tangent. The point is, you can't really compare game reviews and movie reviews. Additionally, you can't see Yahtzee as a reviewer, he's a critic. The difference is that he isn't judging the game objectively. He's saying if it's fun or not for him, and different people will find different things fun. If Yahtzee has a good feeling for a game, that's only meaningful if you have the same taste as Yahtzee. People need to realise this is only for entertainment purposes and stop taking it so seriously.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Vault101 said:
wow..yahtzee was surprisingly light on this one
He judges games based on how much gratification a game gives him, not the overall design, though he mentions that poorly designed games are rather bad as well.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
This has got to be my new favorite Zero Punctuation. Can't stop laughing lol.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
For the life of me I can't understand why most critics have been paddling this game. I'm pretty picky with sandbox games and must admit I feared the worst about this one, but I had a jolly good time with it; all in all I think it's actually better than its predecessor.

Funniest ZP in quite a while. ^^
And I'm sorry, I'll be too busy sciencing my way across western Canada to pretty up the expo. A shame, really.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
porpoise hork said:

VonKlaw said:
One my Uni friends who lives in Liverpool outside uni assures that yes, it really is that bad.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
More Fun To Compute said:
The Black Watch recruited from the Scottish Highlands. I think maybe their representation is more accurate in Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars than in this game from how it is described here.
I don't think Blackwatch in the game have any connection to the actual Black Watch somehow.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
I took the game seriously... enough. Sure the sheer number of psychopaths in Blackwatch can strain the willing suspension of disbelief, but Heller genuinely comes off as grief stricken. I modeled my behavior after what I thought Heller would be thinking, and so I avoided civilian and marine slaughter fests (went the whole game without eating a civvy), due to Heller having been an ordinary soldier and father beforehand. Some characters personality's can easily draw you in if you let them, and James Heller's certainly can.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Yatzhee seems to enjoy games that focus on massive, mindless killing sprees lol

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
i don't think i can go there, it is another continent.
and i don't own a jet-plane.

Wareve

Aug 17, 2008
Hold up, 4:31. Last Psychopath on the left, is that John DeFoe from the Chzo Mythos?

Palodin

Mar 31, 2009
Richardplex said:
porpoise hork said:

VonKlaw said:
One my Uni friends who lives in Liverpool outside uni assures that yes, it really is that bad.
Its no worse than any other poor-ish northern city, really. Incredibly annoying accent (Search for the Harry Enfield skit on youtube, its only got worse since) and ridiculous victim complex though. Seriously, dare to mention anything bad about this city and you will be hounded.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Did Yahtzee just insult Liverpool?
This is an act of blatant agression, kidda!
PREPARE THE SCALLY CANNON...La!!!
Palodin said:
Its no worse than any other poor-ish northern city, really. Incredibly annoying accent (Search for the Harry Enfield skit on youtube, its only got worse since) and ridiculous victim complex though. Seriously, dare to mention anything bad about this city and you will be hounded.
How dare you, I'll show you a victim complex!
PREPARE THE OTHER SCALLY CANNON..."Random scouse slang"!!!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh, one of the evil recruits is wearing a welding mask.

If you don't know why I mention this, go here: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Palodin

Mar 31, 2009
Hookman said:
Palodin said:
You should visit, you'd fit right in

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
I never got around to playing prototype but always wanted to. If and when I do, should I just pick this one up? I couldn't really tell from the review if this one was actually better.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
hermes200 said:
Its nice to see I am not the only one that feels prototype tries to get too serious for its own good.

I was not expecting "Saints Row" level of randomness and tongue-in-cheekness, but Heller is written like a rather generic "bad ass with a vengeance". Its hard to take the character seriously when he moans about his family while killing pedestrians using a grandma suit like the villain of MIB 1. I have the same issue with Bellic in GTA4.
Rockstar seems to have a major problem with balancing tone and gameplay in their sandbox games. If I'm running around causing mayhem, then having me agonizing about killing a single person gets a bit silly.

Not to mention sending me off on endless missions where I'm supposed to shoot everyone I see.

About the only stories I thought got the attitude of the lead character right were Saints Row 2 (for pure cartoony evil) and The Ballad Of Gay Tony (on the serious side). Saints Row featured a character who loved random violence, while Gay Tony featured someone who was simply irritated at being put into violent situations not of his choosing... having no problem doing what he had to do otherwise.

But this is always going to be a problem in sandbox games, even if you decide to grade the player on their driving skills ala L.A. Noire... but at least there's a sense there that you're doing something you're not supposed to as the game only penalizes you such behavior.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Palodin said:
Hookman said:
Palodin said:
You should visit, you'd fit right in
I visit it quite often, with living there and everything. I must admit we aren't the greatest of people but I don't think we have as much of a victim complex as some other parts of the region *Cough* Manchester *Cough*

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
People saying "What he liked a critically panned game" All the scores are actually pretty high on Metacritic.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
I'm still holding out hope that Yahtzee reviews Warriors Orochi 3 this week. If he thought Prototype 2 is silly I wonder what he'll make of a game where the plot just simply doesn't give a fuck.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I'm guessing that Yatzee will put this game in his Top 5 for 2012, which would be nice because (according to The Jimquisition) Prototype 2 didn't do very well in the first 2 weeks compared to last year's April releases.

Granted, November 2010 didn't have a batch of hyped-up releases like November 2011, and people still play Skyrim and Modern Warfare 3 en masse.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Overall I think the Prototype 2 is an improvement over the first. The story is pretty flat and one note like a summer action movie, though Mercer's sudden shift to moustache twirling villain bent on world domination (of course!) was a little jarring for me. But then the original game wasn't that great and paced very poorly too. But the the important part is the gameplay which is much improved over the original. Combat is much more fun and every power has a use, dodging is easier and you can do context sensitive special moves to do extra damage. Targeting can still be troublesome when things get really hectic but it never got me killed as much as in the first game.

gunheads

Sep 6, 2010
As somebody thats lived in liverpool for all his life, I loved the "perhaps liverpool" comment.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Prototype 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Prototype 2.

Watch Video
Just had to pop in and say: best one in ages. I've actually had to pause and take a break to collect myself thanks to the graphic of Stalin consigning his rubber ducky to the gulag; was literally(actually, not in the way those annoying cockmuncher teen girls in America mean it, ie, "metaphorically") crying with laughter.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Okay so wait.. am I understanding it right that Prototype 2 has NO gods-damned races? I may have to buy this game just to show support for removing that unwanted "challenge" trash from a sandbox game!

Thank gods SR 3 doesn't appear to have those... at least I don't remember doing any.

Katya Topolkaraeva said:
No surprise here. It's an open sandbox game so, no matter the quality Yhatzee will love it. Just as he will hate any very prescripted linear game no matter its quality (ie Uncharted 2, 3)
Except he doesn't, and has actively given positive comments to linear games such as Psychonauts, Portal, and the Sands of Time trilogy. And if memory serves me, he ripped into GTA4 pretty good, too.