Zero Punctuation: Prototype 2

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Its nice to see I am not the only one that feels prototype tries to get too serious for its own good.

I was not expecting "Saints Row" level of randomness and tongue-in-cheekness, but Heller is written like a rather generic "bad ass with a vengeance". Its hard to take the character seriously when he moans about his family while killing pedestrians using a grandma suit like the villain of MIB 1. I have the same issue with Bellic in GTA4.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
porpoise hork said:
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.
Yatzee actually plays games as soon as he can (hence the Radnet content in the review), but he takes up to a week for each reviewed game/pair of games. Then he takes a week to write the review, because his fast talking in 5 minutes must take many lines.

As for the review, I'm surprised Yatzee didn't mention the side missions still being somewhat repetitive. They're still fun, though, especially when you jump from 100 feet in the air onto an unsuspecting PMC scientist (who may be a reluctant, oppressed PMC scientist) and bathe in his blood as you punch his face in.
It's even more interesting when that scientist turns out to be an evolved person with which to do glorious battle.
I just hope that the game doesn't lose my interest like Saints Row the Third's sandbox did.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Ah... yes... the best thing about those games has always been the "wheeee!" factor that comes from doing whatever cathartic destruction you like.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Ya, the story in Prototype 2 was trying too hard to be taken serious. I too did muse on the fact that Heller kept saying "I will save all the innocent people being turned into infected, by the cruel and merciless Mercer and Blackwatch!" 2 minutes later you're chugging down these innocents for health and fun.

The leveling up system, or rather, the skill points and perks in this game I felt was a bit stupid. Most of the perks were double ups of each other in different talent trees, which were pretty "unimaginable" imo, when compared to the rest of abilities you have. Why not get a talent tree which would make your attacks a bit more "unique" perhaps, adding a second effect maybe on the black hole tendril attack?

Other then that though, I did have lots of fun in the game, roaming about body surfing on people and such! :D

EDIT: And using the claw abilites were much more satisfying in this game imo, along with the tendrils or hammerfists. Still sad they removed the hammertoss ability, was fun to use. :<

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
maninahat said:
Ho hum, I finally saw the first Infamous being played the other day. Looks incredibly tedious and protracted, with cut and paste enemies, horrible story telling and ugly grey scenery and animations. Is the original Prototype any better? Come to think of it, is Infamous 2 any better?
No, its not better than Infamous.

The issue of being both superhero games set in an open world city, released at the same time is that it lead to a lot of unfair comparisons. Truth is, they are not that similar... While Infamous is mostly a 3rd person shooter in an open world setting, Prototype controls a lot closer to old sandbox games, which is no surprise considering the developers' previous game was "Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" and this game feels a lot like that with an original IP.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Wait, wait, wait, whoa, whoa, whoa... isn't "take itself a little less seriously" the exact thing that ruined the Saint's Row series? I DO NOT WANT ALEX MERCER IN A RAINBOW WIG KILLING CIVILIANS WITH HIS "DILDOFIST" ABILITY, SIR.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Almost every single review I've read: Prototype 2 is a bland, uninspired sequel
Zero Punctuation: I kind of liked Prototype 2

For a while there I thought I was living in bizarro world o_O

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The Black Watch recruited from the Scottish Highlands. I think maybe their representation is more accurate in Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars than in this game from how it is described here.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Hello then. Would that be John Defoe I see next to Jason Voorhees in that Blackwatch potentials lineup?

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Did anyone have the feeling that the original Prototype was to be taken seriously? I mean, there was the odd bit of storytelling here and there, and the web of intrigue appealed to the weird compulsion to collect every bit of scrap left lying around, but the game was so hilariously over the top that I always just assumed it to be written in a slight tongue-in-cheek-way.

Bottom line, if Prototype 2 is exactly like Prototype 1 only newer, Mr. Heller and I are going to have a blast :)

ANeM

Aug 19, 2007
The Escapist Expo thing sounded interesting right up until the "North Carolina" part. It seems like if you're going to hold a convention it would probably be best not to hold it in a place that would automatically alienate a large portion of your audience.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
porpoise hork said:
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw said:
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>
The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.
As someone who lives there it's about the same as any other place in England, people just say more shit about it.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
What's this? A Yahtzee review that makes me interested in a game instead of adding it to my big 'ol ignore list? Color me shocked!

If I weren't on a budget I might even pick it up. As it is, I'll wait for the price to come down or for more money to magic itself into existence.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
I wish I could attend the Escapist Expo and see you in your manliness yourself, YZ. But I'm constrained and cannot make it in time. :(

Anyways, it's interesting that a lot of sandbox games recently have been in good quality. Might take a look at the two Prototype games, now.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Lost it at "To the gulag!"...
ANeM said:
The Escapist Expo thing sounded interesting right up until the "North Carolina" part. It seems like if you're going to hold a convention it would probably be best not to hold it in a place that would automatically alienate a large portion of your audience.
Now, now, they're not alienating anyone.

They just want to show that there is a first class citizen.

And if are on the wrong team, you are not that first class citizen.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
My interest in prototype 2 took a plunge when I heard Mercer wouldnt' be the protagonist. When I heard I'd actually be hunting him down in order to kill him I lost rest of whatever desire I had to buy this game.

And now according to Yahtzee they'll be painting Mercer as some ridiculous saturday morning villain, in order to make the new guy nice and heroic like. Yeah, I'll pass on this game.

Altered Nova

Apr 5, 2012
That was one of the funniest Zero Punctuation videos I've ever seen, seriously was laughing my butt off for most of it. Those quips were the best.

I did like the first Prototype but the unbalanced powers and punishing difficulty eventually turned me off of it and I never completed it. Glad to hear that that the sequel fixes at least one of those issues, might actually pick it up now.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
porpoise hork said:

VonKlaw said:
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>
The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.
We're really not, its just another easy target for people who cant think of anything original. Its kind of like rednecks or Mexicans in the US.