Zero Punctuation: Prototype 2

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
RetroFlush said:
Very fun review, as always.

Unfortunate time to mention North Carolina, by the way.
So that state IS the one that's full of homophobes. Wait I mean full of "concerned citizens."

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
The ending of this game made me want to go out and punch someone in the jugular
MFW ending
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004719
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004720
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004721
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004722
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004723

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005345

SpaceGhost

May 5, 2012
Ed130 said:
RetroFlush said:
Very fun review, as always.

Unfortunate time to mention North Carolina, by the way.
So that state IS the one that's full of homophobes. Wait I mean full of "concerned citizens."
I live Sanford, FL adjacent. Thank goodness we aren't full of homophobes. We're full of...oh, wait...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
GeorgW said:
Caramel Frappe said:
GeorgW said:
I knew you'd like it, even though it's been getting ripped by critics. I haven't played it, but I did like the first one. Lots of funny parts, the pretty one and Liverpool especially.
In truth, I don't really take critics that seriously besides just a few like Yahtzee himself. Most of them tend to judge the game on quality, on plot, and on facts such as gameplay while they're not interested from the start but play it anyways due to being paid. For Yahtzee, the reason he liked this was because it improved from the first Prototype along with having much to do if you're killing time.

But yeah if a ton of critics are ripping a game then it does leave you wondering.. anyways I liked this review and I laughed quite a few times. Good show of course Yahtzee, i'll probably never get bored of your episodes (besides, I myself have seen every single one so.. doubt I will stop now anyways for whatever reason).
Of course there's a lot of difference between reviewers and you have to find a good fit for yourself. In the end, as long as you're enjoying a game the review shouldn't matter, I only use them when deciding on what games to get. Don't know what kind of odd review you'd prefer, but I'd rather prefer a review to judge a game on quality and gameplay facts... ^^
Yea I see where you're getting at. It's like those critics who judge a movie for being poorly done yet it's far more amusing and entertaining then say an oscar winning movie that bored me to death. All depends on people's tastes as far as one could guess, and we all can agree that if Yahtzee had a positive feeling for this game, then it's got to be good somehow when playing it no?
But movie critiquing is entirely different, the enjoyment of them is largely subjective, and movie critics focus on entirely the wrong things. First off, they don't handle genres the way we do. For games, a genre is how the gameplay is, which will cater to different people. Within this predefined gameplay frame, which the audience already knows it likes, the game can either succeed or not, which is an objective statement. However it can succeed in different ways, and some will appeal more to different people, but usually game reviewers will present these differences for the player to decide for themselves if they succeeded.

For movies, genres aren't defined by how it will affect the audience, but rather about how it succeeds at fulfilling certain pre-decided plot lines and twists. In my opinion, the first part is vastly more important regarding what kind of audience will like the movie. Secondly, most movie critics will value specific genres over other, and not really address what kind of audience will like the movie, assuming every moviegoer is like them. That way they aren't leaving it up to the audience and are therefore completely worthless in my opinion. Moviebob understands that, and that's why he's the only movie critic I like.

Anyway, this became quite the tangent. The point is, you can't really compare game reviews and movie reviews. Additionally, you can't see Yahtzee as a reviewer, he's a critic. The difference is that he isn't judging the game objectively. He's saying if it's fun or not for him, and different people will find different things fun. If Yahtzee has a good feeling for a game, that's only meaningful if you have the same taste as Yahtzee. People need to realise this is only for entertainment purposes and stop taking it so seriously.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Vault101 said:
wow..yahtzee was surprisingly light on this one
He judges games based on how much gratification a game gives him, not the overall design, though he mentions that poorly designed games are rather bad as well.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
This has got to be my new favorite Zero Punctuation. Can't stop laughing lol.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
For the life of me I can't understand why most critics have been paddling this game. I'm pretty picky with sandbox games and must admit I feared the worst about this one, but I had a jolly good time with it; all in all I think it's actually better than its predecessor.

Funniest ZP in quite a while. ^^
And I'm sorry, I'll be too busy sciencing my way across western Canada to pretty up the expo. A shame, really.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
porpoise hork said:
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw said:
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>
The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.
One my Uni friends who lives in Liverpool outside uni assures that yes, it really is that bad.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
More Fun To Compute said:
The Black Watch recruited from the Scottish Highlands. I think maybe their representation is more accurate in Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars than in this game from how it is described here.
I don't think Blackwatch in the game have any connection to the actual Black Watch somehow.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
I took the game seriously... enough. Sure the sheer number of psychopaths in Blackwatch can strain the willing suspension of disbelief, but Heller genuinely comes off as grief stricken. I modeled my behavior after what I thought Heller would be thinking, and so I avoided civilian and marine slaughter fests (went the whole game without eating a civvy), due to Heller having been an ordinary soldier and father beforehand. Some characters personality's can easily draw you in if you let them, and James Heller's certainly can.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
i don't think i can go there, it is another continent.
and i don't own a jet-plane.

Wareve

Aug 17, 2008
Hold up, 4:31. Last Psychopath on the left, is that John DeFoe from the Chzo Mythos?

Palodin

Mar 31, 2009
Richardplex said:
porpoise hork said:
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw said:
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>
The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.
One my Uni friends who lives in Liverpool outside uni assures that yes, it really is that bad.
Its no worse than any other poor-ish northern city, really. Incredibly annoying accent (Search for the Harry Enfield skit on youtube, its only got worse since) and ridiculous victim complex though. Seriously, dare to mention anything bad about this city and you will be hounded.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Did Yahtzee just insult Liverpool?
This is an act of blatant agression, kidda!
PREPARE THE SCALLY CANNON...La!!!
Palodin said:
Its no worse than any other poor-ish northern city, really. Incredibly annoying accent (Search for the Harry Enfield skit on youtube, its only got worse since) and ridiculous victim complex though. Seriously, dare to mention anything bad about this city and you will be hounded.
How dare you, I'll show you a victim complex!
PREPARE THE OTHER SCALLY CANNON..."Random scouse slang"!!!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, one of the evil recruits is wearing a welding mask.

If you don't know why I mention this, go here: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Palodin

Mar 31, 2009
Hookman said:
Did Yahtzee just insult Liverpool?
This is an act of blatant agression, kidda!
PREPARE THE SCALLY CANNON...La!!!
Palodin said:
How dare you, I'll show you a victim complex!
PREPARE THE OTHER SCALLY CANNON..."Random scouse slang"!!!
You should visit, you'd fit right in

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
I never got around to playing prototype but always wanted to. If and when I do, should I just pick this one up? I couldn't really tell from the review if this one was actually better.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
hermes200 said:
Its nice to see I am not the only one that feels prototype tries to get too serious for its own good.

I was not expecting "Saints Row" level of randomness and tongue-in-cheekness, but Heller is written like a rather generic "bad ass with a vengeance". Its hard to take the character seriously when he moans about his family while killing pedestrians using a grandma suit like the villain of MIB 1. I have the same issue with Bellic in GTA4.
Rockstar seems to have a major problem with balancing tone and gameplay in their sandbox games. If I'm running around causing mayhem, then having me agonizing about killing a single person gets a bit silly.

Not to mention sending me off on endless missions where I'm supposed to shoot everyone I see.

About the only stories I thought got the attitude of the lead character right were Saints Row 2 (for pure cartoony evil) and The Ballad Of Gay Tony (on the serious side). Saints Row featured a character who loved random violence, while Gay Tony featured someone who was simply irritated at being put into violent situations not of his choosing... having no problem doing what he had to do otherwise.

But this is always going to be a problem in sandbox games, even if you decide to grade the player on their driving skills ala L.A. Noire... but at least there's a sense there that you're doing something you're not supposed to as the game only penalizes you such behavior.