Zero Punctuation: Psychonauts

pamplemoose

Feb 18, 2010
Damn it's good to know I'm not the only person ever who had played (or heard of) this game! It was such a breath of fresh air. You could really see the thought that was put behind the creation of the different levels (even if the physics are a little difficult to get used to...and I'm talking about levitation) and I love that the darker aspects of the game were hidden under the cheery summer camp atmosphere and cartoon characters. My favorite level by far was the milkman level. It was like the perverted lovechild of M.C. Escher and Norman Rockwell. Beautiful stuff. Anyway, I'm glad to see that this game was given credit where credit was due.

Tevana

Mar 28, 2010
I remeber when i rented the game, I finshed the game in about a week but it was really good.Ended up buying the game just to play it again lol. My fav part was going into the Painters Psychi, i love art and color and i enjoyed going through the levels. Was a unique game to play.

atomicmrpelly

Apr 23, 2009
Just bought this on Steam, it's awesome! Yahtzee is quite right about the faults, but also quite right that the rest of the game excuses them.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
I quite enjoyed this game when it came out, it was definitely a nice change from Halo *bleurgh*

On a side note, it's REALLY weird hearing these old reviews and how his style has changed!

TechniMan

Apr 1, 2010
Another awesome video, Yahtzee! Loving all your ZPs and EPs.

I believe I'm the first to spot the XKCD reference in your graph in this video. You have excellent taste and great ideas, sir.
http://xkcd.com/231/

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I'm really just posting to stop the ridiculous window stretching of the esteemed fellow above me. (Really, there should be some kind of limit on the amount of characters one can have in a username.)

That said, Psychonauts is one of my all time favorite games...but, I can't quite shake the feeling that it may have been down hill from there on for Mr.Schafer. I mean...Brutal Legend was a fine game all said, but there was just something missing, something lacking, and I hope it's just a hiccup, but it doesn't stop me wondering whether or not we'll see the likes of Psychonauts again.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Watching these all again, and its hard to believe that he is actually encouraging you to buy a game. Still, it was a fair review and I'm glad to see this is the ONLY game he enjoys.

James Bracewell

Nov 6, 2010
Everyone should do laughing gas whilst watching these reviews cos you'll love it. You won't have a clue whats going on but you'll want to marry a voice by the end of it. Actually..... time to put the gas down now.

Subject7

Nov 2, 2010
I had to go on a manhunt to find this game back in 2006. No one had it! Luckily Blockbuster was tired of their copy so I snatched it for $30+.

Fluffis

Dec 14, 2010
I actually just joined this forum to post how happy I am that Yahtzee actually likes this game. It's one of the most endearing games ever released. However, in addition to the madness brought up in the review, there is also a very sinister tone to some of the game. Follow the story of the two cheerleaders (find them in the levels, and read the notice board), and it gets seriously creepy.

All-in-all, it's one of my favourite games of all time.

singlcuteguy

Feb 21, 2011
Tim Schaefer (or Schafer?) did a great job at LucasArts, and Psychonauts was fantastic when it first came out. Then there came Brutal Legend, which I felt was a kind of hit-or-miss game, it was fantastic in certain places and it was awful in other places. I was sick last October and spent a few days playing (and finishing) Costume Quest, which I loved and can heartily recommend (perhaps a good game for next Halloween?). Stacking is his latest, and is completely boring to me. Yet, I'm surprised Yahtzee hasn't reviewed either one, seeing how disappointed he was with Brutal Legend... Oh, well. I guess he's gotta review what he's told to review. I think that's why I'm watching these older vids of his - I liked them better before it was like a 'job-thing'. Oh, well... Keep 'em coming Yahtzee! :D