Zero Punctuation: Pyre

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well at least I feel somewhat validated in my lonely gamble to getting Pyre. There's not really anyone I know who seems interested in it.

Those matches were the only place to hear that wonderful commentator snarking away with those rolling 'r's that mildly arouse my ears. And mayhaps that easy difficulty setting choice betrayed the usefulness of the upgrades because the opposing teams start improving themselves too and every little helps at that point. Some matches got pretty intense at times in a good way. Also the way the upgrades relate directly to the character's personality I thought were nicely executed. That is all.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Man, I played the heck outta Bastion and Transistor is one of my favourite games, but this one felt like they went a bit overboard with the artsyness ever since it was announced. And nothing I've seen/heard/read really compels me to hop right in ASAP. :(

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember the majority of Dragon Age 1 party members being very mortal and/or miss-able (can't speak to the other 2 games).
Not even counting the end of the game possibilities:
Leliana can be told to bugger off, or be killed when you defile a religious artifact
Wynne can be killed as soon as you meet her, or killed when you defile said religious artifact above
Sten can be left to die in the standard doomed cozy village rest-stop, or told to bugger off at any time
Alistar can bugger off if you don't pick him to be your pretty prettiest princess, or wind up executed
The Dog can die if you don't find the medicine for it in the wilds
Morrigan leaves if you decline to have sex with her/fail to convince someone else to have sex with her.
Zevran can be killed at numerous points in the scene you meet him, and can potentially betray you later
Shale you can just opt to not find, and will betray you under certain circumstances
[Mystery Party Member] can, like many of the above, be killed as soon as you meet him

The only people guaranteed to be with you up to the end iirc are Ogryn[Who refuses to leave even if you tell him to bugger off], and [mystery member or Alistar]

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
*squints* Did Yahtzee use a picture of Pepper as a stand-in for the dog character?

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Oddly enough if I trained them up and got to know them, I'm picking them LAST to release into the wild I MEAN set free. I'll send off random guy I just met to be free, go slam somewhere else me and Donovan have got 3 pointers to do for eternity.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Strange to hear Yahtzee say he likes a game, but still funny. I mean, visual novels, who would have thought?
MoltenSilver said:
I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember the majority of Dragon Age 1 party members being very mortal and/or miss-able (can't speak to the other 2 games).
Not even counting the end of the game possibilities:
Leliana can be told to bugger off, or be killed when you defile a religious artifact
Wynne can be killed as soon as you meet her, or killed when you defile said religious artifact above
Sten can be left to die in the standard doomed cozy village rest-stop, or told to bugger off at any time
Alistar can bugger off if you don't pick him to be your pretty prettiest princess, or wind up executed
The Dog can die if you don't find the medicine for it in the wilds
Morrigan leaves if you decline to have sex with her/fail to convince someone else to have sex with her.
Zevran can be killed at numerous points in the scene you meet him, and can potentially betray you later
Shale you can just opt to not find, and will betray you under certain circumstances
[Mystery Party Member] can, like many of the above, be killed as soon as you meet him

The only people guaranteed to be with you up to the end iirc are Ogryn[Who refuses to leave even if you tell him to bugger off], and [mystery member or Alistar]
Not having played any Dragon Age game, I hesitate to ask what you mean by "defile a religious artifact".

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Not having played any Dragon Age game, I hesitate to ask what you mean by "defile a religious artifact".
You pour dragon blood on some sacred ashes on behalf a crazy cult, snort them like coke and gain awesome powers some consider to be...

...unnatural.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Since it isn't being displayed on the homepage here is the ZP picture for this review

[link]http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1421/1421466.jpg[/link]

edit - wasn't up at the time

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So would this be the logical conclusion to that one poem you once wrote for Rymedown Spectacular?

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Supergiant games never really appealed to me much, I loathe anything to do with sports so i'm avoiding this one like the plague.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Xsjadoblayde said:
Well at least I feel somewhat validated in my lonely gamble to getting Pyre. There's not really anyone I know who seems interested in it.

Those matches were the only place to hear that wonderful commentator snarking away with those rolling 'r's that mildly arouse my ears. And mayhaps that easy difficulty setting choice betrayed the usefulness of the upgrades because the opposing teams start improving themselves too and every little helps at that point. Some matches got pretty intense at times in a good way. Also the way the upgrades relate directly to the character's personality I thought were nicely executed. That is all.
I got it. But I'm with Yahtzee but for difference reasons. I liked it but not loved it. I don't even think the music was as good or meaningful this time.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yahtzee reviewed a game called Pyre.
His comments did not start a fire.
I guess it didn't cause him ire.
Yes, I know this ditty ain't inspired.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Yahtzee likes being in a box because its warm and safe. Its confirmed, Yahtzee is a cat.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
I think there's 2 very specific reasons the "basketball" gameplay didn't resonate with Yahtz:
1) It's all about "Zoning" while he enjoys neither Fighters nor RealTimeStrategy ...
2) From gameplay I saw on letsplays ... the A.I. just isn't quite robust enough to stop most "Cheezy" player exploits from anyone experienced in programming