Zero Punctuation: Quake

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, oddly enough that pretty much sums up my thoughts on quake as well.

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Christ in heaven Yahtzee's joke about "passion" slayed me in that one. Great critique on the game really.

TheBigOne0305

Sep 19, 2014
Solkard said:
Just checking, but is "****" safe for public use now?
He's a Brit living in Australia IIRC, "****" is more like punctuation over there, not like in the US where the oversensitive pussies think it's the worst insult ever XD

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
TheBigOne0305 said:
Solkard said:
Just checking, but is "****" safe for public use now?
He's a Brit living in Australia IIRC, "****" is more like punctuation over there, not like in the US where the oversensitive pussies think it's the worst insult ever XD
Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant, is it safe for public "online" use? I just wanted to check if we would get in trouble with mods for using it in forum posts.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That's the third Filipino boy reference in the like 5 years I've been following Yahtzee.

The other two I got, this one I don't.

ephesus64

Sep 16, 2010
I do remember experiencing awe at the atmosphere and the character design as I played it for the first time years ago. "Okay, I'm barely alive, but I think I'll make it thr-AHHHH IT'S SOME KIND OF ELECTRIC POLAR BEAR BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE A FACE IT'S JUST A BLOODY MOUTH". And then I died.

After that I mostly spent my time in god mode, noclipping through walls. Oh, and looking at the graphics settings and wondering what kind of magical box could ever run that game at 1280x1024. Maybe one of those Pentium Pro 180 mhz computers could do it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
FINALLY! Another retro review. About time. :D

Yeah, my complaint with Quake, having replayed it recently, is that a lot of the weapons were rendered obsolete pretty much when you got the improved version of them.

Double Shotgun replaces the Shotgun. Super Nailgun replaces the Nailgun. Rocket Launcher replaces the Grenade Launcher. And then you got the Lightning Gun, so really in the end, you're just using the same four weapons throughout the entire game. Even if the weapons feel and sound beautiful. Heck, maybe even just three weapons since you don't use the LG until you really need to usually.

Smilomaniac said:
It's funny how shooters after Quake (already with Quake 2) "improved" the genre by making your weapons spread their bullets according to recoil and other random factors. This is as close to a sort of perfection we ever got, in regards to a "pure shooter".
Not really though. Serious Sam took up that mantle rather nicely. Also Unreal Tournament. Doom 4. Painkiller. Etc. But mainly, Serious Sam and Doom 4.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I always liked Unreal Tournament over Quake, mainly because I didn't have to toggle mouse-look with the right ctrl in UT. Likewise, I'll always have a soft spot for the Redeemer.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
Hutzpah Chicken said:
I always liked Unreal Tournament over Quake, mainly because I didn't have to toggle mouse-look with the right ctrl in UT. Likewise, I'll always have a soft spot for the Redeemer.
In Q1 all you had to do was enter "+mlook" into the console and it would be on all the time.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Yahtzee claimed to have nice weather now in the summer. Has he left Australia, or is he ignoring reality for a sake of a joke?

Or referring to there being nice weather all around the year in Australia?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
When he started mentioning the brown castles, I was waiting for a reference to Clive Barker's Jericho.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
I remember it taking a very long time before I figured out you had to telefrag the last boss.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
He should review Dark Forces 2 (Jedi Knight 1?)

IMO that was the pinnacle of the switch from sprites to polys genre...even if the ruined the pure awesomeness of the Compressed Air gun from Dark Forces 1

Huge sprawling levels, good variety of enemies and weapons, and supremely hilarious full-motion video cutscenes

Watch here if you dare!

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
slo said:
He forgot to mention all that lovely ambience by Trent Reznor, that you only can hear if you own the CD version.
Or if you run it through quakespasm and happen to have the music files in some other format.
It almost feels like a different game with the ambience on. The horror aspect becomes much more noticeable.
From back in the day when Trent Reznor was a dark drug-addled musical god spiraling his way to an early grave, before his became the moderately depressed wanker of the modern era. On the upside, he'll probably live longer this way.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
So this episode is straight up fucking poetic. I would guess it's been stirring around his brain for a while maybe..?
In any case it had me spitting out my drink in laughter every second line.

So someone here owes me half a bottle of extremely cheap white.