Zero Punctuation: ReCore

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
2,515
6
13
The jokes are multiplying, how can we maintain such frivolous breeding of misanthropic lust?? Take that muse away, boys!! We can't have ungrateful freeloaders getting too accustomed to this disgustingly charitable joy...Russia must already be laughing at us. I won't have it, i tell you! They will not be allowed to think they can win!!

*Ahem*

Oh, Oops.
 

HumanShale

New member
Sep 23, 2016
6
0
0
Lol at the Brian Blessed joke.

When I heard you were moving I thought you might be coming back to poor old post-Brexit England, dilute the arsehole population a little bit.

Nope. America is it? Too good for England now, are we?

It's almost as if this country was about to get much, much worse.
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
99
0
0
HumanShale said:
Lol at the Brian Blessed joke.

When I heard you were moving I thought you might be coming back to poor old post-Brexit England, dilute the arsehole population a little bit.

Nope. America is it? Too good for England now, are we?

It's almost as if this country was about to get much, much worse.
For some reason, it seems like a handful of British personalities are invading the U.S. as of late.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
4,856
1,257
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Read a couple reviews of this so far and they pretty much all say the same thing: It's okay.

And really, not much must be coming out right now if recore gets it's own ZP
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
4,856
1,257
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
HumanShale said:
Lol at the Brian Blessed joke.

When I heard you were moving I thought you might be coming back to poor old post-Brexit England, dilute the arsehole population a little bit.

Nope. America is it? Too good for England now, are we?

It's almost as if this country was about to get much, much worse.
I'm curious if Yahtzee will stay depending on who wins the election in November.
 

Thanatos2k

New member
Aug 12, 2013
428
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
...That's one of her daddy issues.
 

Goliath100

New member
Sep 29, 2009
224
0
0
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, I thought Yatzee was in Australia or did he moved to the US?
He moved to the US, drowning out thousands of voices screaming: "No, no, you haven't finish Resident Evil 4 yet and you have only 3 bosses left."
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
10,788
727
118
Country
Argentina
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is?
You just about answered your own question there.
 

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
2,632
0
0
Isn't the ending a cliff-hanger and a "to be continued"?
 

nattemann

New member
Dec 30, 2014
1
0
0
"so I might just vomit it all over the combat which is about as fun as nailing dogs to a wall."
Unclear if comparison between the combat and nailing dogs to a wall was meant to say it's boring or fun.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
1,602
0
0
Welcome to America, Yahtzee! You picked a hell of a time to get here. I guess you didn't want to deal with post-Brexit England.
OT: I thought he would appreciate this game feeling like a throwback to the generation of the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/first X-BOX.
 

geldonyetich

New member
Aug 2, 2006
3,652
0
0
I would have thought the potential of a Trump presidency would have driven you away from America instead of coming closer to it, but I'm guessing this move was done to be closer to the doler outers of the paycheck.

As for Recore, before seeing this review I just thought it was a pretty photogenic-looking game that I was honestly a little boggled as to exactly what it was trying to accomplish in terms of gaming. Now that I have seen this review, my impression is the same but with slightly higher resolution.
 

PunkRex

New member
Feb 19, 2010
1,899
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
So you're saying I shouldn't have any issues with the guy who rammed into my brother's car, while drunk, almost killing him as I don't know who he is...

And yet, here I am, still mad.
 

Auron225

New member
Oct 26, 2009
1,186
0
0
HumanShale said:
When I heard you were moving I thought you might be coming back to poor old post-Brexit England, dilute the arsehole population a little bit.

Nope. America is it? Too good for England now, are we?

It's almost as if this country was about to get much, much worse.
The UK and the US are having a contest you see; who can destroy their own country the fastest. The UK is winning, but America has a Trump card...
 

Atratzu

New member
Aug 14, 2016
21
0
0
It sure is nice that Microsoft decided to throw it's hat into the ring with PC gamers, if only Cortana would stop spying on me in the background of my windows 10. I know it's there, I see it's process creeping (I haven't given it permission to to run btw).
 

Steve the Pocket

New member
Mar 30, 2009
1,219
0
0
The only thing that might get me to use the Windows Store is if Microsoft decided to put the original Halo trilogy on there, sans any of the games that came after.

Auron225 said:
The UK and the US are having a contest you see; who can destroy their own country the fastest. The UK is winning, but America has a Trump card...
I think Trump is already doing more harm to the US just by running than the Brexit will to the UK if and when it's finally enacted, but who knows. Maybe the Tories' next move will be to privatize the NHS and wait that would still only make it as bad as America already is.
 

Onliuge

New member
Aug 9, 2012
15
0
0
Yahtzee, just play Factorio on Steam and take a break from the garbage. Any more shitty games and you might become a coprophiliac.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
9,796
0
0
Okay I KNOW Yahtzee only wants to pander to the hatedom of Federation Force. And not only does he shoehorn in more insults regarding FF but he disses PSABR as well? Yeah I don't trust this review, I'll buy it and play it for myself and spite Yahtzee. And I'm about ready to not trust Yahtzee completely anymore.

And if Federation Force shows up on his end of the year list under the worst section then so help me god......
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
7,022
1
3
Country
United States
LordTerminal said:
Okay I KNOW Yahtzee only wants to pander to the hatedom of Federation Force. And not only does he shoehorn in more insults regarding FF but he disses PSABR as well? Yeah I don't trust this review, I'll buy it and play it for myself and spite Yahtzee. And I'm about ready to not trust Yahtzee completely anymore.

And if Federation Force shows up on his end of the year list under the worst section then so help me god......
Shoehorn in? It was part of a series that was directed by the director of ReCore, and did the same thing as ReCore. The comparison draws itself.

Federation Force sucks and people hate it. You want to buy it and play it? Go ahead. He won't give a fuck.
 

Gordon_4_v1legacy

New member
Aug 22, 2010
1,650
0
0
LordTerminal said:
Okay I KNOW Yahtzee only wants to pander to the hatedom of Federation Force. And not only does he shoehorn in more insults regarding FF but he disses PSABR as well? Yeah I don't trust this review, I'll buy it and play it for myself and spite Yahtzee. And I'm about ready to not trust Yahtzee completely anymore.

And if Federation Force shows up on his end of the year list under the worst section then so help me god......
Hey everyone, I found the new guy.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
4,856
1,257
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Onliuge said:
Yahtzee, just play Factorio on Steam and take a break from the garbage. Any more shitty games and you might become a coprophiliac.
Thus the downside of being a reviewer. Sure, it's fun to play the good games/watching the good films/etc. Except people forget that there's plenty of shit you have to review as well. And people wonder why Critics can be a bit elitist and jaded.

I personally am dying to see Yathzee review Kerbal Space Program. I'm curious how many minion jokes he'll work into it.
 

Sheo_Dagana

New member
Aug 12, 2009
633
0
0
erttheking said:
LordTerminal said:
Okay I KNOW Yahtzee only wants to pander to the hatedom of Federation Force. And not only does he shoehorn in more insults regarding FF but he disses PSABR as well? Yeah I don't trust this review, I'll buy it and play it for myself and spite Yahtzee. And I'm about ready to not trust Yahtzee completely anymore.

And if Federation Force shows up on his end of the year list under the worst section then so help me god......
Shoehorn in? It was part of a series that was directed by the director of ReCore, and did the same thing as ReCore. The comparison draws itself.

Federation Force sucks and people hate it. You want to buy it and play it? Go ahead. He won't give a fuck.
I don't see how anyone, seriously, anyone can really get so upset about Yahtzee's review for a game. Doesn't everyone know what to expect by now? Sure, people hate on Yahtzee when he reviews a Nintendo game, but then they turn around and want him to Personal Army for them over whatever schlock they want to feel more justified in hating. Sad to not see him take a few swings at Inafune while he was at it, but I suppose that particular lolcow has been milked dry already.

The game itself is just okay, but whether or not LordTerminal trusts Yahtzee, everyone can trust that there is truth to the part where he complains about collecting Easter Eggs to unlock progress, because damn if it isn't irritating when you find yourself locked out, and it's equally frustrating to find out you don't have the right combination of robots. The latter is particularly annoying, because it's not like you don't have the Gravity Boots or something, you just left them at home for the Power Bomb or whatever.
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
PunkRex said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
So you're saying I shouldn't have any issues with the guy who rammed into my brother's car, while drunk, almost killing him as I don't know who he is...

And yet, here I am, still mad.
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
 

Onliuge

New member
Aug 9, 2012
15
0
0
erttheking said:
LordTerminal said:
Okay I KNOW Yahtzee only wants to pander to the hatedom of Federation Force. And not only does he shoehorn in more insults regarding FF but he disses PSABR as well? Yeah I don't trust this review, I'll buy it and play it for myself and spite Yahtzee. And I'm about ready to not trust Yahtzee completely anymore.

And if Federation Force shows up on his end of the year list under the worst section then so help me god......
Shoehorn in? It was part of a series that was directed by the director of ReCore, and did the same thing as ReCore. The comparison draws itself.

Federation Force sucks and people hate it. You want to buy it and play it? Go ahead. He won't give a fuck.
He's a fanboy man. There's no coming back from that.
 

bastardofmelbourne

New member
Dec 11, 2012
515
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
What the other posters have already obliquely pointed out, and which you seem to have missed, is that the absence of a father can, in itself, be a "daddy issue." In fact, it's one of the more common ones in fiction, as an absentee father is easier to make sympathetic than an abusive one.

I would have thought this was bleedingly self-evident, but apparently not.
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
bastardofmelbourne said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
What the other posters have already obliquely pointed out, and which you seem to have missed, is that the absence of a father can, in itself, be a "daddy issue." In fact, it's one of the more common ones in fiction, as an absentee father is easier to make sympathetic than an abusive one.

I would have thought this was bleedingly self-evident, but apparently not.
I haven't missed the point; I just don't agree with it. Anakin Skywalker had an absentee father, but that sure as hell didn't do anything to make him sympathetic in the prequels.
 

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
918
0
0
Why did I get an advert showing off the fact that you have shows that have long since gone? Top 5, escape to the movies and jimquisition? Why were they on the advert?
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
99
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
What the other posters have already obliquely pointed out, and which you seem to have missed, is that the absence of a father can, in itself, be a "daddy issue." In fact, it's one of the more common ones in fiction, as an absentee father is easier to make sympathetic than an abusive one.

I would have thought this was bleedingly self-evident, but apparently not.
I haven't missed the point; I just don't agree with it. Anakin Skywalker had an absentee father, but that sure as hell didn't do anything to make him sympathetic in the prequels.
That's because people are often too busy giving Lucas shit for making Anakin "I'm lost in a universe beyond my control" Skywalker, meanwhile remaining nostalgic for Luke "Under the watchful eye of Ben" Skywalker and prasing the introduction of Rey "I'm good at everything within a day" Sue (I forgot her last name).
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
Transdude1996 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
What the other posters have already obliquely pointed out, and which you seem to have missed, is that the absence of a father can, in itself, be a "daddy issue." In fact, it's one of the more common ones in fiction, as an absentee father is easier to make sympathetic than an abusive one.

I would have thought this was bleedingly self-evident, but apparently not.
I haven't missed the point; I just don't agree with it. Anakin Skywalker had an absentee father, but that sure as hell didn't do anything to make him sympathetic in the prequels.
That's because people are often too busy giving Lucas shit for making Anakin "I'm lost in a universe beyond my control" Skywalker, meanwhile remaining nostalgic for Luke "Under the watchful eye of Ben" Skywalker and prasing the introduction of Rey "I'm good at everything within a day" Sue (I forgot her last name).
I assume you've seen Episode IV. Could you please explain why Rey gets crap for almost instantaneously being good at, say, using a lightsaber while no one gives Luke Skywalker crap for the exact same thing?
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
99
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
Transdude1996 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
What the other posters have already obliquely pointed out, and which you seem to have missed, is that the absence of a father can, in itself, be a "daddy issue." In fact, it's one of the more common ones in fiction, as an absentee father is easier to make sympathetic than an abusive one.

I would have thought this was bleedingly self-evident, but apparently not.
I haven't missed the point; I just don't agree with it. Anakin Skywalker had an absentee father, but that sure as hell didn't do anything to make him sympathetic in the prequels.
That's because people are often too busy giving Lucas shit for making Anakin "I'm lost in a universe beyond my control" Skywalker, meanwhile remaining nostalgic for Luke "Under the watchful eye of Ben" Skywalker and prasing the introduction of Rey "I'm good at everything within a day" Sue (I forgot her last name).
I assume you've seen Episode IV. Could you please explain why Rey gets crap for almost instantaneously being good at, say, using a lightsaber while no one gives Luke Skywalker crap for the exact same thing?
Because deflecting a few shots from a training device doesn't mean you can take on Darth Vader.
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
Transdude1996 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
Transdude1996 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
What the other posters have already obliquely pointed out, and which you seem to have missed, is that the absence of a father can, in itself, be a "daddy issue." In fact, it's one of the more common ones in fiction, as an absentee father is easier to make sympathetic than an abusive one.

I would have thought this was bleedingly self-evident, but apparently not.
I haven't missed the point; I just don't agree with it. Anakin Skywalker had an absentee father, but that sure as hell didn't do anything to make him sympathetic in the prequels.
That's because people are often too busy giving Lucas shit for making Anakin "I'm lost in a universe beyond my control" Skywalker, meanwhile remaining nostalgic for Luke "Under the watchful eye of Ben" Skywalker and prasing the introduction of Rey "I'm good at everything within a day" Sue (I forgot her last name).
I assume you've seen Episode IV. Could you please explain why Rey gets crap for almost instantaneously being good at, say, using a lightsaber while no one gives Luke Skywalker crap for the exact same thing?
Because deflecting a few shots from a training device doesn't mean you can take on Darth Vader.
And yet he still manages to blow up the Death Star using the Force, something he didn't know about until he met Obi-Wan.
 

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
2,456
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
I feel like you're just feet away from awareness, but you haven't quite made it.

Girls got so many daddy issues she dressed as Sylvia Plath for Halloween.
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
I feel like you're just feet away from awareness, but you haven't quite made it.

Girls got so many daddy issues she dressed as Sylvia Plath for Halloween.
I am aware of what you're saying; I just don't agree with it. Call me "politically correct," but to my mind, the idea of a woman having "daddy issues" just seems a little condescending towards women because it assumes a woman can't make a decision that isn't affected by how she feels about her dad.
 

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
2,456
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
I feel like you're just feet away from awareness, but you haven't quite made it.

Girls got so many daddy issues she dressed as Sylvia Plath for Halloween.
I am aware of what you're saying; I just don't agree with it. Call me "politically correct," but to my mind, the idea of a woman having "daddy issues" just seems a little condescending towards women because it assumes a woman can't make a decision that isn't affected by how she feels about her dad.
That's why most people criticize daddy issues in fiction.

Personally, I don't think that's fair, since both men and women have issues related to their parents In real life. Hence Sylvia Plath, who was pretty much a poster child for that kind of thing. It's not just women, it's human.
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
I feel like you're just feet away from awareness, but you haven't quite made it.

Girls got so many daddy issues she dressed as Sylvia Plath for Halloween.
I am aware of what you're saying; I just don't agree with it. Call me "politically correct," but to my mind, the idea of a woman having "daddy issues" just seems a little condescending towards women because it assumes a woman can't make a decision that isn't affected by how she feels about her dad.
That's why most people criticize daddy issues in fiction.

Personally, I don't think that's fair, since both men and women have issues related to their parents In real life. Hence Sylvia Plath, who was pretty much a poster child for that kind of thing. It's not just women, it's human.
In fairness to Sylvia Plath, her father died when she was 8 or 9. And yet I haven't heard as many jokes about, say, Batman having daddy issues.
 

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
2,456
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
I feel like you're just feet away from awareness, but you haven't quite made it.

Girls got so many daddy issues she dressed as Sylvia Plath for Halloween.
I am aware of what you're saying; I just don't agree with it. Call me "politically correct," but to my mind, the idea of a woman having "daddy issues" just seems a little condescending towards women because it assumes a woman can't make a decision that isn't affected by how she feels about her dad.
That's why most people criticize daddy issues in fiction.

Personally, I don't think that's fair, since both men and women have issues related to their parents In real life. Hence Sylvia Plath, who was pretty much a poster child for that kind of thing. It's not just women, it's human.
In fairness to Sylvia Plath, her father died when she was 8 or 9. And yet I haven't heard as many jokes about, say, Batman having daddy issues.
Really? I hear jokes about Batman all the time. I figured it was pretty much a meme at this point. Different experiences, I guess.

You can look at something like Neon Genesis Evangelion, though, and see the same thing. Every character in that series has parental issues. Misato fits the bill perfectly. She hated her dad, but then grew up to be him, and dates a man just like him. Shinji has those issues too. But who gets the attention for it? Shinji. Yet I feel like both characters are realistic in their portrayals. I don't think the "daddy issues" trope is bad in itself. I think it can just be badly handled. You definitely don't want female characters who are entirely dependent of men all the time. Ray, for instance, is fine. Samus, from Other M, was not.
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
Fox12 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
I feel like you're just feet away from awareness, but you haven't quite made it.

Girls got so many daddy issues she dressed as Sylvia Plath for Halloween.
I am aware of what you're saying; I just don't agree with it. Call me "politically correct," but to my mind, the idea of a woman having "daddy issues" just seems a little condescending towards women because it assumes a woman can't make a decision that isn't affected by how she feels about her dad.
That's why most people criticize daddy issues in fiction.

Personally, I don't think that's fair, since both men and women have issues related to their parents In real life. Hence Sylvia Plath, who was pretty much a poster child for that kind of thing. It's not just women, it's human.
In fairness to Sylvia Plath, her father died when she was 8 or 9. And yet I haven't heard as many jokes about, say, Batman having daddy issues.
Really? I hear jokes about Batman all the time. I figured it was pretty much a meme at this point. Different experiences, I guess.

You can look at something like Neon Genesis Evangelion, though, and see the same thing. Every character in that series has parental issues. Misato fits the bill perfectly. She hated her dad, but then grew up to be him, and dates a man just like him. Shinji has those issues too. But who gets the attention for it? Shinji. Yet I feel like both characters are realistic in their portrayals. I don't think the "daddy issues" trope is bad in itself. I think it can just be badly handled. You definitely don't want female characters who are entirely dependent of men all the time. Ray, for instance, is fine. Samus, from Other M, was not.
Fair enough.
 

PunkRex

New member
Feb 19, 2010
1,899
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
PunkRex said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
So you're saying I shouldn't have any issues with the guy who rammed into my brother's car, while drunk, almost killing him as I don't know who he is...

And yet, here I am, still mad.
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
Good point, but I'm fairly sure I remember Rey stating that her family left her there and she's waiting for them to come back, whether that's actually what happened hasn't been revealed but it's the conclusion she's come to. No matter how well adjusted a person you are that's gonna leave a mark, even with a perfectly legitimate reason for them abandoning her/failing to contact her, the mystery itself is gonna cause issues.
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
99
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
Transdude1996 said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
This is different. You had a pretty clear reason to have an issue with the guy. But "The Force Awakens" never reveals who Rey's dad is, let alone what he might've done to give her "daddy issues."
What the other posters have already obliquely pointed out, and which you seem to have missed, is that the absence of a father can, in itself, be a "daddy issue." In fact, it's one of the more common ones in fiction, as an absentee father is easier to make sympathetic than an abusive one.

I would have thought this was bleedingly self-evident, but apparently not.
I haven't missed the point; I just don't agree with it. Anakin Skywalker had an absentee father, but that sure as hell didn't do anything to make him sympathetic in the prequels.
That's because people are often too busy giving Lucas shit for making Anakin "I'm lost in a universe beyond my control" Skywalker, meanwhile remaining nostalgic for Luke "Under the watchful eye of Ben" Skywalker and prasing the introduction of Rey "I'm good at everything within a day" Sue (I forgot her last name).
I assume you've seen Episode IV. Could you please explain why Rey gets crap for almost instantaneously being good at, say, using a lightsaber while no one gives Luke Skywalker crap for the exact same thing?
Biggs mentioned that Luke is one the best pilots out there just prior to them flying off for the battle, and, during the briefing, Luke joked about shooting weasels for sport that were the same size as the hole.

Actually, now that I think about it, Obi-Wan's advice to Luke is somewhere along the lines of a "Believe in yourself" moment since the force is summarized as an extension of will (Queue Green Lantern reference), and Luke was only doing what came naturally.

Though, to bring the topic back to Rey, I cannot see the "extension of will" part relating to her when she mind controls the guard or fights Kylo (Unless I forgot a scene demonstrating that she's a natural at manipulation, and/or close-quarters combat).
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
7,022
1
3
Country
United States
Transdude1996 said:
Biggs spent 99% of his life living on a backwater desert planet. He's not really an authority on who is a good pilot and isn't. Particularly since Luke's flying on his homeworld would've consisted mainly of shooting wamp rats and flying through Beggar's Canyon. Something that doesn't really compare to being in a dogfight with something that moves as fast as a TIE fighter does. Particularly, particularly considering he was talking about the best pilots out there without bringing up Wedge freaking Antilles. So I'm sorry, Luke really should've been one of the first people to be vapped during the Death Star attack if we're looking at this from a realistic standpoint.

Kylo Ren. Is. Pathetic. Defeating him is not an impressive achievement. He's the only only major character in all of the movies who was both a force user and had a lightsaber, and managed to get hit by a blaster. He then proceeded to fight Finn, someone who was wielding a lightsaber for the second time in his life, and who had earlier gotten his ass beaten in a melee fight by a rank and file storm trooper. For the record, lightsabers are incredibly hard for non-force users to wield, as they can easily kill themselves with it. Despite this, Finn managed to hold his own for awhile, and deliver a direct hit to Kylo Ren, whose attacks became much slower and more telegraphed after that. All Rey did was beat a guy who put up a worse showing than a storm trooper.

I don't recall a scene where Luke was natural at forcing proton torpedoes down exhaust ports. It's Star Wars man, they play fast and loose with their own rules all the time.
 

bastardofmelbourne

New member
Dec 11, 2012
515
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
I am aware of what you're saying; I just don't agree with it. Call me "politically correct," but to my mind, the idea of a woman having "daddy issues" just seems a little condescending towards women because it assumes a woman can't make a decision that isn't affected by how she feels about her dad.
Riiight. I was wondering when the gender war subtext would emerge.

Saying someone has unresolved psychological issues over one or both of their parents ("daddy/mummy issues") isn't condescending towards women because...well, women aren't the only ones with fathers. Anyone can suffer from internal turmoil caused by the absence of one or both parents.

Saying "the idea of a woman having daddy issues is condescending towards women" isn't politically correct. It's just...dumb. And it ignores all the men in fiction who have daddy issues. Superman. Hamlet. Shinji Ikari. Zeus. Jesus (as in, from the Bible.) Horus (as in, from Warhammer 40,000.) Horus (as in, from Egyptian mythology.) I'd say Oedipus, but he was kind of a two-for-one combo deal.
 

Dangeresque

New member
Sep 28, 2016
11
0
0
bastardofmelbourne said:
Daniel Greenberg said:
I am aware of what you're saying; I just don't agree with it. Call me "politically correct," but to my mind, the idea of a woman having "daddy issues" just seems a little condescending towards women because it assumes a woman can't make a decision that isn't affected by how she feels about her dad.
Saying someone has unresolved psychological issues over one or both of their parents ("daddy/mummy issues") isn't condescending towards women because...well, women aren't the only ones with fathers. Anyone can suffer from internal turmoil caused by the absence of one or both parents.

Saying "the idea of a woman having daddy issues is condescending towards women" isn't politically correct. It's just...dumb. And it ignores all the men in fiction who have daddy issues.
Okay, the first part I'll admit is true. But, and this might have been due to a lack of clarification on my part, it's less about the idea and more about context. It's like when people are labeled "retarded." Sure, some people genuinely have learning disabilities, but using "retarded" as shorthand for someone who just does something stupid is itself kind of stupid. Similarly, yes, there are people who genuinely have unresolved psychological issues over one or both of their parents. But, for example, remember when Yahtzee compared the "Doom" reboot to an attractive woman hooking up with him at a bar, and said that "After playing through 'Deum,' I think I've come to realize that people who come onto me might not necessarily be gold-digging harlots - some of them are just trying to get back at their dad"? I get that he was joking, but if a guy really thinks that about a woman, isn't he overlooking the possibility that, just maybe, she's actually into guys like that? That's what I meant by saying the idea of a woman having daddy issues is condescending towards women.
 

Pinky's Brain

New member
Mar 2, 2011
171
0
0
Daniel Greenberg said:
The "lady from the new Star Wars" is named "Rey," thank you very much. Also, how can she have daddy issues if the movie doesn't even say who her dad is? Just a thought...
Maybe she blames him for giving her the first name Rey with the last name Mixer?
 

4Aces

New member
May 29, 2012
104
0
0
The Thing is must see for all Antarctic research stations. Do your work and get the hell out, or find out that you are the warmest place for aliens to hide, down here.
 

FireAza

New member
Aug 16, 2011
418
0
0
Yahtzee moved to America? Considering Donald Trump and the bi-weekly shootings, I think you'd have to be pretty crazy to move to the U.S at this point in time.