Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

Whoolpurse

Jul 14, 2008
mortalsatsuma said:
He had a point regarding the mountain lions (or Cougars) there is nothing more annoying than getting blind-sided by one then killing it, only for 5 more to show up.
Yeah, I killed a rabbit, and while skinning it. A fucking cougar kills me..

And this actually happened 5 times in a row..

Nintenfan81

Jun 11, 2010
FINALLY!!!! Someone else who actualy liked the sailing in- er... wait a minuet Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw played Wind Waker? Darn must've been before he started posting on the Escapist. Would have loved to see that video, even though he would rip it to shreds and spit on the pieces.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
Ldude893 said:
"Purple Monkey Dishwasher" is a line from The Simpsons.

I'm never getting this game anyway, I'm a PC gamer, not a console gamer. Yahtzee made me much happier now, at least I'm not missing out on anything besides a lame GTA on horses.
Dude you are missing out on a great game. Yeah it resembles GTA but I dont like GTA and I love RDR. I think its the atmosphere that really does it for me. You feel like you are in a western movie where you can really enjoy yourself. It is an amazing game and I have yet to experience these glitches. I don't agree with Yahtzee's review. Imo don't limit yourself to stick to consoles/pcs/handhelds all platforms are good for different things.

Sorry for the ramblings but basically what I'm saying is I love this game even though people say it is a lot like GTA. Don't write it off so fast.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
AllLagNoFrag said:
godcommazilla said:
Yay!!!!!

.......bet he's gonna hate it.
Well then great job on just rushing to post just to be first.

Great review haha @ the ripping of all gta's. Managing to actually pick out bad points of an overall solid game.

Mountain Lion ftw!
I may just copy "bet he's gonna hate it." because by-golly (and paste) it will probably be relevant every time.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Lineoutt said:
Ldude893 said:

I'm never getting this game anyway, I'm a PC gamer, not a console gamer. Yahtzee made me much happier now, at least I'm not missing out on anything besides a lame GTA on horses.
Dude you are missing out on a great game. Yeah it resembles GTA but I dont like GTA and I love RDR. I think its the atmosphere that really does it for me. You feel like you are in a western movie where you can really enjoy yourself. It is an amazing game and I have yet to experience these glitches. I don't agree with Yahtzee's review. Imo don't limit yourself to stick to consoles/pcs/handhelds all platforms are good for different things.

Sorry for the ramblings but basically what I'm saying is I love this game even though people say it is a lot like GTA. Don't write it off so fast.

Let me put this in another way:

[HEADING=1]I DON'T HAVE AN XBOX[/HEADING]

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
Ldude893 said:
Lineoutt said:
Ldude893 said:

Let me put this in another way:

[HEADING=1]I DON'T HAVE AN XBOX[/HEADING]
I get that lol. All I'm saying is that if you ever get one try the game out. Oh and if you happen to have extra money get an xbox :p

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
I totally understand what he meant. I also liked the sailing parts in Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Because like him, I like a sandbox (like) world to feel big, and I like the idea of riding a ship on water.

Once again, a good funny review.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
I thought RDR was good, and the review was just pointing the faults, and for the record the Horse AI sucks balls purely because i lost count of how many times my horse got shot or ran over by a train or fell of a cliff. I also thought (foolishly) the game wouldve gotten much better praise from Yahtzee since he likes Western games (Call of Juarez Bound in Blood Review).

Shane Waitkus

Jun 7, 2010
i freaking fall through the ground at least once a session of trying to play red dead redemption, but besides that i though it was good. it was to rushed, they should'a worked out all of the bugs, it is annoying to be doing a mission and have the game screw you over with a bug....

May 25, 2010
Admittedly this review wasn't very good. I loved the part at first where Rockstar is trying to constantly please you. The bugs in this game aren't severe and I wouldn't just call it a time sink. The Alan Wake review was far better imo. This wasn't even all that funny. Even the way you keep renaming Red Dead Redemption after different colours was much similar to what you did in your Dead to Rights: Retribution review. You suffer from repetition syndrome!

AND YOU DIDN'T COMPARE IT TO CALL OF JUAREZ:BOUND IN BLOOD LIKE YOU SAID YOU WOULD!! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?! Prototype vs inFAMOUS was epic.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Pretty solid review, I think the lack of hilarity came from the fact that the problems with the game are more sad and annoying than anything else. I liked the atmosphere and all but the auto aim makes it too easy and the constant reminder of its many and minor glitches bogs down what potentially could have been a pretty super game.

I stopped playing after I was in a coach chase and as I killed a pursuing coach driver my coach t-boned said coach, stopping us in our tracks. As my AI driver tried to forcefully run straight into the side of the other coach (along our scripted path), I thought I might just get out and hop into the other and move it away. It wouldnt let me. So I got back into my coach, went and did some dishes, came back and waited for a couple more minutes, and finally my driver had made it to a turn in the path and got around the empty coach.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Edward123454321 said:
ryno707 said:
don't get me wrong, i think yahtze does a good job reviewing MOST games, i just think he did a piss poor job reviewing red dead redemption. I didn't have any physics problems while playing the game, maybe thats because I have a 360, and he most likely has the annoying ps3. -snip
Do you honestly think different consoles get designers to use entirely different physics engines?

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post, my eyes might just bleed. ;)
Ryno, to mention the cougars, yes, they make that roaring sound right before they hit you, but they're fast, and if you're not looking their way, it's ususally too late anyways. I used to go out cougar hunting (Pardon the double entendre... In The GAME you sick minded bastards you ;) )JUST because I was caught unaware by a cougar and my horse died in one hit. Sure it spawns after a minute, but I was bloody GOING somewhere!!! I don't like cheaping it out with fast travel, it takes from the landscape and vastness of the world... I usually only used it when I couldn't be assed to ride from mexico to New Austin.

And I'm not even going to get into your jab at the PS3... lets just say uou like one console, I like another... It's simply never been annoying to me

Edward: I must say it would be interesting to try and see a company justify it all if the pulled that stunt. "Well you see in the XBOX 360 game, gravity is stronger, so good luck if you try to shoot someone from more than two feet or make your horse go at a somewhat decent pace" HAHA

They did pull shit shit with Splinter Cell double agent where EVERY. BLOODY. CONSOLE. HAD. A. DIFFERENT. GAME! and ofcourse I had an XBOX at the time. All the trailers for the game were PC and PS3 trailers. They showed this deep, intense game where the sneaking around was a blend of walking through the "Safe" areas of the enemy base and sneaking through "Restricted areas".

But no, in the XBOX version it just dumps you in a restricted area and says "You have this long to complete the mission, here's what you need". Hell even the PS2 version had those flash back episodes!

juicyhopfrog

Aug 18, 2009
Very funny review. But a lot of the complaints odd given that you can adjust the aiming mechanic in the options, which makes you want to buy the better guns sooner, and most travel is fairly optional. And perhaps I got lucky, but I only encountered one glaring glitch around 70% completion. That said, enjoyed it as always.

juicyhopfrog

Aug 18, 2009
anon_10 said:
What I have noticed was that in any other gta game if you get bored you could run off and just start shooting everything which was fun!!1

In RDR you play "lawfull" story missions,you have a fame and honer bar/score and you have not enough people to go on a rampage.

To be honest trying to stay lawfull is boring which is what gave gta lots of replay value for me at the moment i am collecting the differant outfits and doing the challenges and side missions but i recon i will put it back on the shelf when thats done...
You don't have to worry about your meter if you buy the bandana. Much fun to be had in tying people up and leaving them on a railroad track.

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
Ive played the game all the way through twice, and never ran into any of the glitches Yahtzee talked about.
poor guy, must be playing on the PS3
OOOOOOOOOH!

Garden Ninja

Jun 8, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:

They did pull shit shit with Splinter Cell double agent where EVERY. BLOODY. CONSOLE. HAD. A. DIFFERENT. GAME! and ofcourse I had an XBOX at the time. All the trailers for the game were PC and PS3 trailers. They showed this deep, intense game where the sneaking around was a blend of walking through the "Safe" areas of the enemy base and sneaking through "Restricted areas".

But no, in the XBOX version it just dumps you in a restricted area and says "You have this long to complete the mission, here's what you need". Hell even the PS2 version had those flash back episodes!
I thought there were only two versions of Double Agent
1. 360, PS3, PC
2. Wii, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2
Thats what the wikipedia page [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splinter_cell_double_agent] lists, anyway. I played it on Wii, and Xbox 360, and it was a while ago, but I don't remember them being drastically different from a game mechanic standpoint (although the 360 version had more JBA HQ sections).

On topic:

Decent review. I personally haven't seen any of the glitches, or ninja cougars, but I'm less than 5 hours in, still around the McFarlane Ranch and Armadillo, so maybe I just haven't seen them yet.