Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
It's true, the game's got bugs. I've fatally impaled a rapist with a lasso, a horse and buggy came hurtling out of the sky at me at a hundred miles per hour while I was walking down the street, and once I got stuck in a weird crouching pose so it looked like I was rollerskating everywhere.

And FUCK cougars.

deplorable

Feb 29, 2008
The control of John reminded me of the warthog from Halo 1 the camera angle helps with the movement on what's up, down, left and right. Horse was quite clever, if you aim at the path/road/track and just hold A for the green part (NPC with you), the horse follows the path by itself.

played for 25-30 hours only got one glitch... when the girl comes out screaming gets herself blown to bits, you kill 2 guards then duel the fat guy.... i was half asleep and died. The duel restarted except i quickly skipped the video when it showed said fat guy. He was then facing the wrong direction... and the whole thing needed a restart because it didn't play out as a duel. (i just walked up to him, shot him as he glitched)

Towards the close of the game someone ends up very Red and very Dead, although not quite sure about the stranger you meet whose an "angel" or something, that was just weird.

Felt like a better version of GTA, and lets face it when it came to cattle herding and horse riding, it left Zelda in the dust. Bug wise, not nearly as bad as Two Worlds or actually most sandboxed games. I mean they're all buggy considering the size and scope of the world. It's always the same.

not perfect (no game is, time and money, all developers wish they had more of each), but definately worth playing, and you'll have a blast.

Edward123454321

Mar 31, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Edward123454321 said:
ryno707 said:
don't get me wrong, i think yahtze does a good job reviewing MOST games, i just think he did a piss poor job reviewing red dead redemption. I didn't have any physics problems while playing the game, maybe thats because I have a 360, and he most likely has the annoying ps3. -snip
Do you honestly think different consoles get designers to use entirely different physics engines?

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post, my eyes might just bleed. ;)
Edward: I must say it would be interesting to try and see a company justify it all if the pulled that stunt. "Well you see in the XBOX 360 game, gravity is stronger, so good luck if you try to shoot someone from more than two feet or make your horse go at a somewhat decent pace" HAHA
Haha yeah that'd be a tough on to explain, do you own all the consoles then?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Edward123454321 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Edward123454321 said:
ryno707 said:
don't get me wrong, i think yahtze does a good job reviewing MOST games, i just think he did a piss poor job reviewing red dead redemption. I didn't have any physics problems while playing the game, maybe thats because I have a 360, and he most likely has the annoying ps3. -snip
Do you honestly think different consoles get designers to use entirely different physics engines?

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post, my eyes might just bleed. ;)
Edward: I must say it would be interesting to try and see a company justify it all if the pulled that stunt. "Well you see in the XBOX 360 game, gravity is stronger, so good luck if you try to shoot someone from more than two feet or make your horse go at a somewhat decent pace" HAHA
Haha yeah that'd be a tough on to explain, do you own all the consoles then?
Nope. Just the PS3

Khemzar

Jul 2, 2009
Finally, someone else who liked the sailing parts of Wind Waker. I thought I was all alone in enjoying those.

Romeka B

Jun 11, 2010
SonicKoala said:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.
... do you guys even watch these reviews?

He's saying it is, indeed, a good looking, well told video of immersion... it's just missing the whole "game" part. There's no point to getting money to buy guns or horse pills or whatever because: you're not punished in any way for dying, you get the upgrades and extras within the missions anyway, and the "challenges" offer no reward other than "fame" which doesn't give you any real, or rather, palpable advantage/reward while playing.

Watch better. You'll learn something.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Does anyone else think that Green Spleen Submarine should be the name of a band?
Not that anyone's ever going to notice this post, as late as it is.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Romeka B said:
SonicKoala said:
Hm, he spent the overwhelming majority of the review hating on the game, and then at the end we hear the words "beautifully written and beautifully atmospheric" - have to say, didn't see that coming. Regardless, it really seems like this game is worth checking out.
... do you guys even watch these reviews?

He's saying it is, indeed, a good looking, well told video of immersion... it's just missing the whole "game" part. There's no point to getting money to buy guns or horse pills or whatever because: you're not punished in any way for dying, you get the upgrades and extras within the missions anyway, and the "challenges" offer no reward other than "fame" which doesn't give you any real, or rather, palpable advantage/reward while playing.

Watch better. You'll learn something.
I was noting how he had mentioned little to nothing about the story throughout the entire video, and then he abruptly announced how the game was "beautifully written" - it seemed a rather out of place comment, even for a Yahtzee review. I watch his videos every week. Maybe try reading better - perhaps you'll learn something.

mrbananas

Nov 18, 2009
anyone else try hogtying up a woman and leaving her on the railroad tracks. The experience is mustache twirling awesome

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Weird, you'd expect a game like that to have little to no bugs considering the advertisement campaign for it, I even saw posters for it at bus stops.

soultwister

Nov 26, 2009
I don't get your last point, Yahtzee. Complaining about games being a time sink is complaining about the whole modern gaming industry. The last time i had some challenge was when i was playing Contra (or Atari2600 games, since the games were about high score, so it had a way to compare yourself with others, a very multiplayer style of gaming), with a fiew exeptions, ofcourse, but unless you're an old PC gamer, you haven't heard of those. Gaming right now is exactly like watching Avatar and is praised by the same kind of people. I sat through it, it was pretty and i didn't feel completely like i'm just aging watching it so i guess i can't really ask for my money back. That's about as good as it gets nowdays.

The only challenge in gaming right now (mostly because any new game is a tired and old concept that old gamers blitz though) is multiplayer, and you're not going to be talking about that ever, since it's almost impossible to review. It's mostly noticable when any MMO talk comes down to what the client is capable of. The kind of thing that's mostly irrelevant when it comes to MMOs. You'd propobly only look at the same aspects of UT3 or SC2.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
When I heard that mountain lions will come right after your ass and slash you to pieces, needing multiple shots to be put down, I thought to myself:

"Wow. Accuracy."

LakeRat

Jun 12, 2010
yeah but you know whats worse than the mountain lions. The Bears, I can not explain how anoying it is to be riding through tall trees and a bear attacks so you kill an skin it then three more decide to join the party.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
VMerken said:
I liked the review, especially the Green Spleen bit, but er...

All Games(tm) are Time Sinks(R).

Discuss.
Some videogames have a storyline making you feel like your accomplishments are getting you somewhere. Such as Shadow of the Colossus. These are Games (tm)

Other videogames set you tasks to complete which give you a feeling of accomplishment when you finish them. Such as Tetris. These are 'Time Sinks' (R).

Some games manage a middle ground usually leaning toward one or the other type - for example Pokemon has a storyline but leans toward being a Time Sink (R).

Nothing against any of them but I prefer games.

The best way to judge which it is, is to think how you feel about the game afterward. Do you remember the experience or just the result? Would you play again from the start if you lost save data or was everything you collected more important thing?

For example - playing through Lego Star Wars was a Game (tm). Going back and collecting everything after I'd finished it turned it into a Time Sink (R).

oblivion328

Jun 12, 2010
It was a relatively poor review IMHO. Most of it is spent nitpicking about various glitches and control problems, most of which I have honestly never experienced in the game myself. Also, I love how many people will decide not to get a game based on a ZP review when Yahtzee himself has said you shouldn't take his reviews that seriously.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
oblivion328 said:
It was a relatively poor review IMHO. Most of it is spent nitpicking about various glitches and control problems, most of which I have honestly never experienced in the game myself. Also, I love how many people will decide not to get a game based on a ZP review when Yahtzee himself has said you shouldn't take his reviews that seriously.
That's the sort of thing a reviewer is supposed to nitpick about- so it was a slightly better "review" than it usually is. But about average video, I suppose.

oblivion328

Jun 12, 2010
I suppose. But I still say that if you you base your decision solely on Yahtzee's reviews, you're gonna miss out on plenty of great games. I enjoy Zero Punctuation as much as anyone else, but he does play up the flaws in a lot of games for humorous effect.