Zero Punctuation: Red Dead Redemption

johnfistyadams

Sep 30, 2009
He forgot to mention the last few agonizingly boring missions in which you live the life of a rancher for a couple weeks.

GLXRBLT

May 29, 2009
I'm quite distressed now because my political views were expressed by an imp on a horse in this video.

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
In my point of view, word of Red Dead Redemption just came out of nowhere, then for the week it's released people are treating it like it's the biggest thing.
Sort of annoyed me, but now it has this review, which eases things for me.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Nothing of what Yahtzee complained about happened to me. I thought it was a near perfect game. Way better than what its credited for ( even though most critics are saying 9.0-10.0 )

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
RMcD94 said:
What the hell? Every time I click play it plays as if there is two of them?! Only one image, but two overriding sounds?
So you suffered a glitch watching a video that complains about glitches (among other things)?

heh.. be careful your computer doesn't get STUCK IN A WALL

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
The funniest thing that could get anyone to like that game is the sex scene that had reyes decimating that peasant, funniest sh!t ever.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Frankly, the glitches are so infrequent it's hardly worth bringing up. I think I've only had three instants where the game glitched on me, with two of them requiring restarting from my last save point which was just minutes before heading to the event that glitched.

Once again I think this was a nitpick rant, because he was pulling on the smallest things to make a video. He obviously liked the game. Except for the cougars, and rightfully so. Fuck those bastards. Personally, I think cougars and bears are the most annoying thing in the game. Their attacks can kill you in one or two hits, they are usually quiet, and the game always spawns things behind you so you don't see it appear.

But I think Rockstar did a great job of bringing a large world that felt alive. Having animals roaming around and the random events that you can come across while crossing the wastelands. It all adds to the immersion of an uncivilized and dangerous landscape. And I love that Rockstar didn't try to idealize the "wild west" as some great place of adventure. They toss in all the intolerance and ignorance that plagued that era of time.

If I had to nitpick myself, I wish the NPCs weren't always talking about the main character. I get that you get famous, but damn all I ever hear is "John Marston this" and "John Marston that". Ack, shut up and talk about something else or I'm going to toss dynamite at every one of you!

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Gameplay is pretty similar to the GTA games but the change of scenery was nice. Lord knows how many games we have set in a modern New York lookalike city.

As far as glitches, I haven't encountered really any, only time I can recall a glitch for me was in a mission when a bridge is suppose to explode, it plays the graphics but the bridge magically appears intact again. Also about those mountain lions, I was always cautious around where they roam so before I skinned or picked a flower I looked around for them. :p

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
You can fast-travel from anywhere to anywhere in the game, so the travel time's not really an issue... There are also tons of scripted events you can run into in the wilderness, too. There's tons'a people there, mostly cannibals. And the side quest aren't so much for their own sake as they are for your honor/fame's sake... And I never once had an issue with the controls. Maybe Yahtzee got the PS3 version or something? Apart from that it was a fairly spot on if not all that humorous review. Only seven days until the next one. ^^

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Haro said:
Yahtzee is always going to go more on the negative parts of the games than the positive, especially on games that already receive a lot of critical attention/acclaim. That's what I like about him, he's a naysayer, a counter-balance to game reviewers that cushion games with higher scores that turn out to be rubbish. In Yahtzee-speak, going after things like staring at horse asses and having too many things to do is a sign that the game really is pretty solid, if not quite good. It's just funnier (and more Yahtzee-like) to go after all that other stuff.
If you watch enough of his videos you can start being able to tell when he thinks a game is awful and when he is just pointing out the flaws and not saying it's terrible. Nice to see other people who can understand when he's being negative for the sake of it or being negative because it is truly terrible.

OT (kinda): Yahtzee and others may already know it, but RDR is a "sequel" to Red Dead Revolver. That game the main character's name was Red, his family was Dead, and he was on a quest for revenge with his Revolver... so that one makes sense. Though the only similarities are it's western and the bullet time. Quick draw duels was a big thing in Revolver.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
"Bugs"
"Nitpicking"
"Bugs"
"Some rather forced jokes"
"Bugs"
"Great game"

Not a bad episode, at least he played it.

videocrazy

Dec 17, 2009
Good review, although I must admit this was one of my favorite games, and when I played through it, on the 360, I got none of those bugs you mentioned. Anyways, IIRC, one of your biggest complaints, after the review, was that GTA IV couldn't "make a decision between wacky fun and gritty realism". Given how you tend to stick to the main story, you may or may not have encountered this, but

Sidequest spoilers inside:
one of the side missions, as an example, has you collecting 3 of each of the first area's flowers for his wife's anniverary. After you do this, he invites you in, and talks to his wife. Who is a decaying corpse. For that matter, most of the results in both the main and side missions give a feeling of the world being messed up.

Oh, and no mention of the ending? That was probably the most shocking part of the game.

Story spoilers inside:
Not the fake ending, which gives you a high amount of achivement points (on the 360), but the one after you do your family's missions.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Yet again Yahtzee proves that his "reviews" aren't really reviews. They are funny videos where he rant about things he doesn't like about games. And when there aren't much to rant about, he has to nitpick it to death. It was a funny video, that it was. As usual.

But for all of you sheep who won't buy this game solely because your god Yahtzee said this and that about it... here is a few points you should know about:
1: I have clocked down about 50 hours of playtime. My girlfriend about 15. All that time we have seen one glitch combined, and it wasn't game breaking.
2: You can turn off auto-aim if you want. Which makes it a silly thing to rant about.
3: When you have your gun out you run by default. So his problem with holding a button to run is also kinda stupid, as that would mostly be a problem in combat.
4: Mr. Marston is a lot better than Niko, and I loved GTAIV. So that says something.
5: The physics rock. I don't think you can get closer to reality when it comes to physics. Seeing enemies being shot in the knee, making them stumble, catch themselves from falling by holding a table, trying to shoot but not quite hitting anything because they are in pain then falling over... it is awesome, mark my words.

He is right when he say it is beautifully written. Heck, the game is generally beautiful, albeit pretty gloomy. It is my GOTY, and probably the best game I have played for years.

gjendemsjo

May 11, 2010
Great review Yahtzee, though i have to disagree with you on the controls. I thought they were good(not the horse controls though) and i eventually got very good with them.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
YAHTZEE I LOVE YOU, what you say is true, my mate brought his copy of the game to me hosue the other day and though it was good but there are many flaws like the ones you pointed out. Pandas!