Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 4

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
thepyrethatburns said:
Catasros said:
I'm assuming there's a good reason that I've never heard of Dead Aim?
Not really. First, it provides a good look at how a company can make a game better from one game to the other. With Dead Aim, they take all the stuff that didn't work with Dino Stalker and polish everything that did work up to a shine. Second, it's quite a good entry for a Guncon 2 Resident Evil game (that's not on rails).

But there's where the problem comes in. It has been established that Yahtzee doesn't like game control schemes that are not standard controller. Even without that, Guncon games were largely a niche market.

Darth_Payn said:
I totally forgot about Gaiden and Dead Aim before this video. Was there also one set in a zoo?
Resident Evil Outbreak 2 did have a zoo complete with it's own zombie elephant. However, you'd have to play REO2 and, unlike Dino Stalker -> RE: Dead Aim, the Outbreaks go in the opposite direction. RE Outbreak was a game that was a lot of fun as an L4D predecessor set in the RE Universe with a fairly coherent story (for RE). Outbreak 2, apart from replacing most of it's voice actors with really bad ones, seems to be more of a loose collection of scenarios that were left on the cutting room floor from the first Outbreak. It could have been salvaged through the creativity of SOME of the scenarios if the partner AI wasn't so rock-stupid. However, the AI does not improve. As such, an AI that was adequate in the first Outbreak becomes unplayable in the second one.

Undead Elephant? I will run at it and try to stab it. Well, I'm dead again and I need the human player to save me.

This brings us to the problem with playing it with human characters. Apart from the fact that the servers are gone (although you can still find the occasional unofficial one), Sasaki wanted to preserve the horror vibe. Realizing that horror goes flying out the window if you allow people to talk to each other, he refused to incorporate voice speak and just left a voice menu of common non-location specific commands. This made teamwork difficult in RE1 and it did not change for Outbreak 2.

Well, I ranted a bit there. The short answer is Outbreak 2 had a zoo section.
And it had the first remake of the Raccoon City Police Station before everthing else.

And it had a subway metro full of Giant Fleas.

And it had one mission that takes place in the outskirts of Raccoon City in the Arklay Mountains where you find an abandoned hospital with living Plants and Paranormal events and some crazy guy with an Axe.

Outbreak 1 had also a remake of the Underground Umbrella Lab from Resident Evil 2 and another G boss.

A Hotel on fire and full of Lickers.

The Hospital from RE-3 now full of Leeches and Leech covered Zombies.

Basically the level design for the Outbreak games was superb.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Honestly the shit talking everyone is giving to Resident Evil 2 and 3 makes me shake my head in disagreement.

Like have you guys forgotten things like the athmosphere, the music, and the visual art of the environments? Heck I had nightmares about some of the monsters then whatever Silent Hill has. I mean listen to this shit:

And it baffles me Yathzee even thinks the ORIGINAL Resident Evil 1 was a "good" game when RE 2 and 3 very clearly surpass it in quality. OG Resident Evil 1 is the very thing people think of when they think Resident Evil games are stupid, where as the sequels have clearly cleaned up the camp a bit take it somewhat more seriously.

The voice acting in RE 2 and 3 is far from being as stupid as RE 1 OG.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I never quite managed to put my finger on what makes RE4 scary outside the Regenerators. It's true the game has an unnerving tendecy to scale danger from 0 to 100 in seconds. Even after you replay it hundreds of times, the way the game paces its quiet moments with full-on action sequences (and the way danger escalates within them) makes for a nerve-breaking trip.
The Castle part with Salazar was unnerving. THe creepy black robbed Cultists were the most scariest of the 3 factions of enemies you encounter and they had the more scary special enemies like the gladiator like brute with the giant claws, the cultists head exploding into the Plaga head was the most gnarly one since that one can eat Leon's entire head. And lets not forget Salazar's Right Hand.
The village is fantastic, and the castle follows nicely (aside from a couple of non sequitur set-pieces in the castle, like that one Indiana Jones minecart bit and the part with all the lava). Even the whole militarized island part has the Regenerators going for it, which are the scariest enemies in the game. RE4 is mostly dumb campy action but it knows how to pull the rug from beneath you.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Honestly the shit talking everyone is giving to Resident Evil 2 and 3 makes me shake my head in disagreement.

Like have you guys forgotten things like the athmosphere, the music, and the visual art of the environments? Heck I had nightmares about some of the monsters then whatever Silent Hill has. I mean listen to this shit:

And it baffles me Yathzee even thinks the ORIGINAL Resident Evil 1 was a "good" game when RE 2 and 3 very clearly surpass it in quality. OG Resident Evil 1 is the very thing people think of when they think Resident Evil games are stupid, where as the sequels have clearly cleaned up the camp a bit take it somewhat more seriously.

I don't know, I think they improved the voice acting a lot for the first one in the remake.

Anyway I enjoy the first 4 a lot. 5 and 6 were shit imo

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I don't know, I think they improved the voice acting a lot for the first one in the remake.

Anyway I enjoy the first 4 a lot. 5 and 6 were shit imo
I personally think 5 and 6 these days gets a bad rap. I mean as games as is they were fun.

And that's the thing about the Resident Evil franchise, scary or not scary you can't deny there is a fun/gameplay factor beneath it.

Its why I often replay these games more so then Amnesia the Dark Descent.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:

Yahtzee said he didn't think the series got good until RE4, he never praised RE1.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
darkrage6 said:
Jacked Assassin said:
darkrage6 said:
Jacked Assassin said:
I was excited for a Resident Evil 2 Remake until I saw it confirming for me that Resident Evil 4 ultimately ruined Resident Evil for me.

Also despite seeing any Silent Hill game played I have zero interest in that franchise.

Typing this down makes me feel like Yahtzee stole what was my favorite horror franchise.
RE4 was my first game in the franchise, so unlike most people I wasn't upset when 5 and 6 went in a more action-oriented direction and i'm excited for the remake of RE2(especially given how shit that game was to begin with, whatever they do to it could only be an improvement).
(I swear I had already responded to this post, but my response was deleted)

The reality of the matter is Resident Evil 4 should have gone the way of Devil May Cry by not being a Resident Evil game. The fact that people need to complain about Resident Evil's lore while praising Resident Evil 4's gameplay should be proof enough for them that they don't like Resident Evil. For people like them, they should go play a different franchise that adopted Resident Evil 4's gameplay.

And since you found the original games to be shit I rather not have you as a fan of what was my favorite horror franchise.
First off go to hell, you don't get choose who is a fan of a franchise, don't act like you fucking own the franchise when you don't, spare me your gatekeeping bullshit. Just cause I have unpopular opinions on a franchise does not make me any less of a fan then you, so suck it.

Also here's the part where you're going to feel REALLY stupid-I do in fact like the first game, to be more specific I like the REMAKE of the first game. I just don't like the original PS1 version because it's controls are dogshit(Yahtzee also thinks that BTW, so I guess you don't want him to be a fan of the franchise either?), it's voice-acting is dreadful, the FMV cutscenes are dumb and overall it's just aged very badly.

I've got my gripes with the remake but it's still a solid game.
1 - Hell isn't real.
2 - You have a very popular opinion on Resident Evil which is why RE4 Gameplay was adopted by other games. Even if I was "gatekeeping" for Resident Evil it was only because I enjoyed the originals before RE4. As far as I can tell you act like you deserve everything while a minority of people like me who prefer Resident Evil before RE4, don't.

3 - Yahtzee has stated he likes RE 4 & 7. But then states he starts to hate Resident Evil again as soon as lore from previous Resident Evil games is brought up. Even going as far to say he wants Resident Evil to start over without all of the previous lore. That doesn't sound like a fan of Resident Evil if they go out of their way to hate what came before their favorites.

4 - I'm not bothered by your gripes with the remakes. But all of you people who go out your way to trash what came before RE4 act like I don't deserve a new Resident Evil with Resident Evil's original gameplay.

Edit
You're getting mad at me just because I think Resident Evil In Name Only 4 (REINO4) should have been the start of a franchise that wasn't Resident Evil.