Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 7

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
RE6 is my personal favorite game in the series, I think this game was OK but not really scary.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Sigh this dissing of the old school Resident Evils prior to 4 upsets me so. Especially when it had the cooler and more intimidating monster designs than both 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined I mean look at these things:

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
I figured this one would be right up Yahtzee's ally. The beginning of the game is absolutely rock solid and Jack really is a fun antagonist. Still he is right about it shifting focus into action in the later half. The game would have been better served if Jack had been the central threat throughout the entire thing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Sigh this dissing of the old school Resident Evils prior to 4 upsets me so. Especially when it had the cooler and more intimidating monster designs than both 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined I mean look at these things:

The art work is way more intimidating than the actual low poly models.

bazingabro

Aug 18, 2014
Calling this game racist is just as silly as calling RE5 racist.

The Bakers were good people who got messed up by the virus. The game isn't trying to say "look at how crazy and backwards white people are!" Same deal with the Spaniards and Africans in RE4 & 5.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I just realized something, Yahtzee already gave enough of his thoughts on RE4 enough for that to constitute as a review. But with Final Fantasy VII, another game he has strong opinion of we never heard enough and considering the remake coming I think his review on that might be his best yet. I am looking forward to that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Have you not seen the Remake?

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Yeah, but there's no need we can't have something the ones like in the artwork now.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
LordTerminal said:
Yahtzee made it sound like this game is more unintentionally hilarious than RE4's plot was.
Well its important to remember that even though its stolen ideas from other, better, horror games, its still a Resident Evil game. Its still about a virus somehow turning everyone feral crazy and able to sprout limbs and organs using no genetic mass whatsoever. Its closer to Tukcer and Dale vs Evil than Texas Chainsaw massacre.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:

Not me, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks many people are looking at the early RE games through rose-tinted glasses.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
bazingabro said:
Calling this game racist is just as silly as calling RE5 racist.

The Bakers were good people who got messed up by the virus. The game isn't trying to say "look at how crazy and backwards white people are!" Same deal with the Spaniards and Africans in RE4 & 5.
Yahtzee was joking.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
So, I noticed that this game has the subtitle Biohazard. And in Japan Resident Evil is known as Biohazard.

So is this game called Biohazard: Biohazard in Japan?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
So, how is this game connected to the other Resident Evils? At least 4 had Leon Kennedy, back from RE2, proving that reusing previous player characters isn't always a bad thing.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Catfood220 said:
So, I noticed that this game has the subtitle Biohazard. And in Japan Resident Evil is known as Biohazard.

So is this game called Biohazard: Biohazard in Japan?
Nope, in Japan it's called Biohazard 7: Resident Evil.

No, really, that's not a joke.

Darth_Payn said:
So, how is this game connected to the other Resident Evils? At least 4 had Leon Kennedy, back from RE2, proving that reusing previous player characters isn't always a bad thing.
Umbrella Corporation. That's about it. There's one character during the ending who calls himself 'Redfield', but signs point to it being an Umbrella Corp. mercenary stealing Chris's name. That said, the DLC is supposed to focus on this character, so maybe it's the real Chris? Uncertain at present.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
darkrage6 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Not me, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks many people are looking at the early RE games through rose-tinted glasses.

But I own the games right now and play them consistantly. And barring the original first one (and to a degree Code: Veronica) they all hold up well.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Well shit the bed, he likes it.

My favourite comment was how Capcom figured out how to write a good story; get someone else to do it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
To be fair, I would love to kill gophers with fire grenades. It might cause a problem in areas with tall dry grass but oops, too late the pin has been pulled!

bjj hero said:
My favourite comment was how Capcom figured out how to write a good story; get someone else to do it.
I quite liked that remark as well.