Zero Punctuation: Risen 3: Titan Lords - Pirate ArrrrRPG

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Karavision said:
I find it strange that people get mad about the lack of diversity in games that have never allowed any type of character customization and have always been narrative driven to the point of being fucking movies, like Assassin's Creed but have never even raised an eyebrow at the Risen or Gothic series. Considering how weak the narrative is in these two series, there is little reason that you should not be able to play a fucking orc, let alone a woman.
In Gothic the Orcs are the enemies and in Risen there are no orcs. Also there are only Humans in the world of Risen. The only other sentient species is are the gnomes but those are treated like thieving intelligent animals most of time.
It's a world of pirates for Risen and a bloody prison for Gothic, a woman in those cases would be rape bait.

Also the main character this time isn't the mc of Risen 1 + 2 but another one. Only 2 of the islands and 1 dlc one are somewhat recycled all others are new.

For the synchro... well the german ones is good but then again this is a german developer.

Also the main antagonist this time is the titan lord of death and why he did steal the mcs soul has its reasons which are revealed near the end.

Also for the characters of your crew, one is witch doctor which wears tribal attire and bones, another an annoying would be mage, another looks either like a disinherited gent or bald emo knight depending one how far you are with the story, then there is the thieving gnome, evil ghost inquisitor and the mcs sister, also a parrot.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Roofstone said:
Wait.. So what is the point of the whole undead thing then? Why make a py-rate game about the legions of the no longer living?
Everyone loves zombies, gotta stick zombies in everything.

Hell, this logic brought us zombie dildos.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
JoJo said:
As a white dude with brown hair and a regional British accent, I approve of this game.
That sounds a bit narcissistic. xD

;p
JoJo said:
One of your best reviews for while actually, despite never having heard of this game before I enjoyed that :-D
Yeah, I saw Angry Joe playing this a while ago. Oddly enough, the game made him angry. ;p

Fun show today, Jungle King of the Monkeys. ;D
Thanatos2k said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
Will he ever play a RTS ? at least for a change ?
Sure. When is a good RTS going to ever come out?
Well, I heard good things about Dragon Commander. Though, that was more of a RTS RPG, and most of the praise was for the RPG elements.
Still sounded like a good game.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh god, that pun at the end! Yahtzee just HAD to go there, didn't he? Well, yes, that's his job.
This review reminded me that Risen is a series, which just goes to show the kind of impact it left on me (none). I'll have to look in the archives if he did a Risen 2 review.
I'd play a game where I became King of the Monkeys and I can lead my new minions into tree-jumping, vine-swinging, rolling-on-the-ground battle.
Evonisia said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
He doesn't review RTSs (usually) because he knows that they aren't for him and any judgement he makes of them would be unfair. Ditto fighting games which he only does on rare occasions.
The last RTS I know he reviewed was HALO Wars, which left a foul impact on him due to a prisoner rescue mission that went belly up for a retarded reason.
PunkRex said:
Why does Risen 3 have such a generic cover? It doesn't even look like the dude with the sword and the snake are fighting, it look's like the fella just burst into the snakes house and jumped it while it was asleep.
Typical Action RPG fare:
10 Bust in to someone else's turf
20 Fight and kill them for XP
30 Loot for treasure and stuff
40 GO TO 10

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
JoJo said:
As a white dude with brown hair and a regional British accent, I approve of this game.
That sounds a bit narcissistic. xD

;p
JoJo said:
One of your best reviews for while actually, despite never having heard of this game before I enjoyed that :-D
Yeah, I saw Angry Joe playing this a while ago. Oddly enough, the game made him angry. ;p

Fun show today, Jungle King of the Monkeys. ;D
Thanatos2k said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
Sure. When is a good RTS going to ever come out?
Well, I heard good things about Dragon Commander. Though, that was more of a RTS RPG, and most of the praise was for the RPG elements.
Still sounded like a good game.
Dragon commander is more like 3 games.
The first is the one where you talk to the people, decide on politics like free health care and decide who you want to marry.
The second is like risk with building troops and buildings on a strategic map and shoving them around to conquer more lands.
And the third is like the old game Z or maybe a moba where you have to conquer buildings by sending troops there and used them to build troops to counter your enemy.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I really liked Risen 2 and I'm currently playing through Risen 1 and enjoying it. So far Risen 3 doesn't seem very appealing. I'll keep an eye out for more reviews though.

TheArcaneThinker said:
He did a review for Halo Wars, which is an RTS for the Xbox 360. He said in that review that he doesn't like the genre.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Ugh, another one.
I don't really have a problem with reviewers not liking the risen games, how few of them actually seemed to pay attention to the game.
I post this out of general exhaustion from risen reviews, believe it or not Yathzee's was actually one of the better ones.

1. Combat. Yes Enemies can stunlock you somewhat and most animal enemies hit faster than your character. But that's all core part of the combat. All Enemies have very distinct attack patterns. Exspecially animals always have the same rythm of attack. The challenge of the combat lies in figuring these distinct rythms out and using that knowledge to block when necessary, dodge when necessary and attack when there's an opening. Once you get this, it takes only a short while to figure out attack patterns and have fun with the combat. It was exspecially aggravating to see AngryJoes video on Risen, since it was obvious the entire time he raged about the combat that he had no idea what he was doing and was getting aggressive because buttonmashing wasn't working.

2. Recycling. 2 isles and one dlc island are recycled from Risen 2. Both of these island play a very minor part in the game and you will spent very little time there. Additionally both island were heavily redesigned with more than half of the island being completely different.

3. Theme. The Theme is not so much pirates as it is pirates coupled with medieval, if that wasn't obvious from the cover. This comes from the main story being the fight against the titan of death in a really medieval kind of way. Additionally severall of the islands are designed to be more medieval islands, than tropical pirate islands.

Overall i can understand when people don't like the Risen games. They are games that have a very specific target audience and are not for everyone. I am making this post because i am pretty tired of people hating on the games for stupid reasons. There are very legitimate reasons to dislike the games, but i only keep hearing stupid ones.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
TheArcaneThinker said:
This is from his Shadow of the Colossus review:

"I've got nothing against real time strategy, except that anyone who plays them is obviously a massive coward, content to order soldiers to their deaths in fiery shootouts and all taking place in the far end of a telescope (...) strategy is a genre I've never gotten into"

Zombie Badger said:
I couldn't tell the brown-haired white boys apart in Pacific Rim either.
There's a blond guy, a black guy, a Japanese girl, three Chinese twins, two blond Russians, two brunette scientists and Ron Perlman... what brown-haired white boy?

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
As a core fan of the devs for about 15 years, I have played Risen 3 a little, but not much since, yes, it feels kind of bland so far.
The best games these guys did were Gothic 1 and 2 and Risen 1.
Especially the former ones need to be remastered because of near unplayability at this point. Still my favourite RPGs of all time.
Good, original Setting, awesome Charakters and hell of a lot of love for the world.
That is the devs core problem anyway. They make awesome worlds to play in. They are beautiful, Gothic was the first RPG, I think, with day/night routines of NPCs, the just feel incredibly alive. But they need to iron out some game design kinks and hire a few better writers for the story arc.

Again, Please remaster Gothic 1 and 2, yes?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Roofstone said:
Wait.. So what is the point of the whole undead thing then? Why make a py-rate game about the legions of the no longer living?
Well, Dark Souls made a tidy bit of dosh. A producer-parrot must've kept an ear to the ground, heard an interesting blurb and chirped it 'til sundown.

Parrots are vital company and emergency rations on any proper py-rate shippe (O-aar!), but they shouldn't be the skipper.

"Zombies! Popular! Market value market value zombies!"

"We be headin' rite for tha cliffs, cap'n! Whaddywe do?!"

"Twitter TWITTER like tweet!"

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Ah the risen games, I played a bit of risen one and once you get into it it is a delightful game. Yeah it not perfect but hey it is fun.

I haven't played 2 and, eh yeah heard not to much good stuff I own it on steam so can try it. Wasn't to expensive.

And number 3, well it looks kinda nice. I know that is the big thing, things can look nice but play rotten. So I have to really wait a while still before I jump that ship. But it draws me.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
yeah, video games really do need to stop making running forward a mediocre traveling option. This is a glaring problem from Ocarina of Time that some devs don't seem to think about. And in OoT it seems like the only option slower than running forward is walking.

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Doom972 said:
I really liked Risen 2 and I'm currently playing through Risen 1 and enjoying it. So far Risen 3 doesn't seem very appealing. I'll keep an eye out for more reviews though.

TheArcaneThinker said:
He did a review for Halo Wars, which is an RTS for the Xbox 360. He said in that review that he doesn't like the genre.
Risen 3 is A LOT like Risen 2. There aren't much changes from 2 to 3. If you really liked R2 then there is no reason to pass on R3.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
This seems pretty par for the course. Risen 1 and 2 were both super janky games and bogged down by tons of bizarre design decisions. Only thing the series has going for it is the environments are genrally very nicely crafted and interesting.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Is it just me or is Yatzhee losing some steam? He just sounded tired in this review. Maybe its that Risen to annoying enough to be bad, but not bad enough to be funny.
I dunno...
Something just felt off