Zero Punctuation: Ryse: Son of Rome

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
rcs619 said:
If they really wanted an 'epic' war story, why not set it during the Punic wars? Carthage was actually one of the few real military threats Rome ever faced. And the bulk of the Carthaginian military was made of mercenaries from all over Africa and the Mediterranean, which gives you quite a large variety of enemy types to choose from for your badguys. Also, Carthage actually had, and used, war elephants. Since any game about Rome has to have them.
And they could've had Cato the Elder saying "Carthago delenda est" every five minutes. Talk about saving on voice acting!
That... that would have been the greatest thing ever!

Or, in the spirit of things:

Si illud fecissent, id maximum fuisset! (my Latin composition is not particularly elegant, but I believe that that was grammatically sound).

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
"Tu Fui
Ego Eris"

That was more than a little eerie to me, as I've been playing Virtue's Last Reward this week.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
DeadCoyote said:
Now they can with no shame put on their box this quote:

"10\10"
Zero Punctuation
Whyle we're at it
CoD:Ghosts can slap on their box this as well

"CoD:Ghosts..is..ahead of time."
Zero Punctuation

P.S.Yes, I rewatched the video and slapped this together from actual words occurring in it.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
Is it just me or have video games seem to have lost their way?
I imagine most, if not all of us here, feel that way. Well, AAA gaming has lost its way, anyway.

Captcha: not yet

Sorry, captcha, but they're long gone by now.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wait, something about ancient Rome that ISN'T filled with sodomy!? What bullshit, or lack there of, is this Microsoft!!!

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
So begins the next generation. This is a bad trend.

And honestly, Boudica with war elephants? *Elephants?*

Did the devs have any idea where those even come from? Not bloody Norfolk I'll tell you that (and the second Punic War was about 250-ish years before besides). And if you look close at the history, the Romans basically screwed her over once her husband died and given what they did I'm inclined to back her side in what followed.

What a mess. Even Dynasty Warriors' loose grasp of the history looks respectable and neatly researched next to this (even if Luo Guanzhong deserves much of the blame for that).

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
So basically its COD with romans? A glorified tech demo to bring in the new current gen.. ah, what a way to start new tech! To give us the same shit we've seen before with 20-30% better graphics.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Evonisia said:
He does suffer from Australian download speeds. In England for example all three games I've downloaded only took 5 minutes to do in general.
At 100mb/s Australian download speeds aren't bad, heck their better than alot of the US. It sounds like the XBO didnt put in a good disc drive as they didn't plan to use it often so got a cheaper slower speed one.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
The lack of historical accuracy doesn't really bother me. I would have been cool if the gamehad been set during the punic wars, but I guess they went with barbarians because they thought they would be a cool enemy. It could also be because they felt barbarians represented everything that the roman empire was not. Civilized and advanced.

What bothers me the most is that the game just doesn't seem very fun.

C14N

May 28, 2008
I don't remember any point where this game looked good. Were MS expecting this to be a heavy hitter on launch or something?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I don't know why some people say things like "it's a launch title, of course it's shit" when there have been some excellent launch titles in the past. There are always exceptions to the rule of course, but I think it's bad form to just look at a game and say "well, that's to be expected from a launch title."

Ryse, however, earned it's bad press and misgivings by looking horribly mediocre from the beginning. I can't think of a single person I know that was really 'wowed' by the trailer when it was revealed. So I'm not terribly surprised that the game is pretty much what most people expected it to be.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Most of the respondents here seem to be sick and tired of AAA games but they still garner all the attention, don't they? All of the launch titles for the PS4 (that is, Shadow Fall & Knack) sounded like mouldy arse so I just ignored them. Currently my PS4 has an attach rate of zero but I've got my free game of Resogun and it seems like I'm having more fun with my machine than most (CoD-monkeys excepted, I assume they're happy). Obviously Resogun doesn't justify the console price but it's doing a fine job of tiding me over until the games I want appear.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
It's too bad it sucks. I really like ancient Rome as a setting. Roman Legionnaires are regarded as some of the most badass badasses in history, so it saddens me to see a game where they're getting stomped by some roving marauders as opposed to...I'unno, Hannibal.

Idea, in fact. You play a Roman guard in an open-world crime-stopping sandbox game.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Adept Mechanicus said:
Can anyone translate the Latin in the credits?
1. In wine there's truth
2. Slander boldly, something always sticks
3. As you are, I was; as I am so you shall also be.

Not sure about the first two, but the last one is a Silent Hill reference so far as I remember.
The first is a Doc Holliday quote I think, the second is by Francis Bacon, the third I believe has to do with death being inevitable (which would make sense for Silent Hill)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Unless your in Sydney, 100mb/s is literally impossible in Australia. Or you live on top of a tower or you were in one of the lucky people who got the NBN testing fibre which gave you as a actual possible max of 100mb/s.
I'm in Sydney, however most of the main cities have high speed net, just not in every area. No different than other countries, it's not in every house. Still NBN will fix this if Abbott doesn't screw the population over.