Zero Punctuation: Sacred 3 - Nothing Is Sacred

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Ok ... when Ride to Hell leaves yahtzee in a better mood, then I guess we all know the levels of fail that have been reached. Not that anyone with a half working brain expected this so called continuation of the Sacred franchise would be any good.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
It's a shame this game left such a bad taste in Yahtzee's mouth, because that description he gave ("Gauntlet meets Golden Axe") sounds right up my alley. I'm a huge fan of beat-em-ups and hack-and-slashers, so I would have played this. But if it really left him in such a bad mood...better not.

Oh well...maybe I'll just replay Castle Crashers again...

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Speaking of comedy that was really annoying:

Bad games attract more bad games. Good thing I've never heard of Sacred before, or else this game might have really disappointed me.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
i love how no matter how hard yahtzee tries to keep ZP and Lets drown out separate there's always a little bleed over because his review of the week is on his mind

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I find myself agreeing more and more with Yatzhee on Joss Whedon's characters. Don't get me wrong, I loved Firefly. But the rest? Eh...
They really do come across as borderline autistic, in that social norms are not something they understand.
Shame about Sacred too. Nothing worse than an unfunny comedy game.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
That walrus is adorable.

Progress Quest sounds interesting, is it any good?

I get the feeling that Yahtzee didn't like the support character.

Run, run from credit-sequence God-Yahtzee!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
One day, those faithful to the written word shall rise again. One day. Be afraid, producers and marketers! Be afraid!

No lords, no masters, no adverbs in dialogue atributations!

Vladimir Eremeyev

Sep 23, 2012
You when I'm shocked? When my jokes (which are considered bad and always off timing) suddenly become good in comparison to Sacred 3 ones.
That is all.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
I find myself agreeing more and more with Yatzhee on Joss Whedon's characters.
Good god yes, Whedon's characters sound like 15 year olds trying to be sarcastic.

Jan 27, 2011
Speaking as something of a writer myself, I really understand where yatzee's coming from.

Writing isn't as easy as you think. ANYBODY can slap a bunch of word on a page, but making it sounds good, and making it all make sense and build up and wow the reader at the end takes a large degree of patience, effort and masochism (as you scrap dialogue for the 8th time when you realize it doesn't quite sync as well with the rest of the game as you thought).

As for the whole "generic can be used to poke fun", I agree. I'm doing that right now with an RPG I'm making, actually, and it's turning out quite well.

Jan 12, 2012
Muspelheim said:
One day, those faithful to the written word shall rise again. One day. Be afraid, producers and marketers! Be afraid!

No lords, no masters, no adverbs in dialogue atributations!
And they will rise up and say, "We are going to write good dialogue and engaging characters, melded with a coherent and moving plot!"

And the producers will look down and say, "We actually did that stuff at a roundtable Monday morning, so we're not going to hire you. Have fun trying to flog your script to someone who gives a damn, we've got a steady stream of 'good enough' to crank out to meet our quarterly projections."

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
XDSkyFreak said:
Ok ... when Ride to Hell leaves yahtzee in a better mood, then I guess we all know the levels of fail that have been reached. Not that anyone with a half working brain expected this so called continuation of the Sacred franchise would be any good.
It's important to remember that Ride To Hell is 1 of 2 things: Hilariously depressing, or depressingly hilarious. Sacred 3 is none, it is, as Sonic Unleashed was so aptly described, "So utterly putrid that I can't even get worked up about it."

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
y'know, the mention of "Joss Whedon dialogue" makes me want to write something where there's a character who tries to act like that boring, homogenized "let's make everything sarcastic" dialect only to be smacked by the hero who says "If you even THINK about trying to do that again I will keep smacking you until your eyeballs switch places." I've just gotten really bored of all these game writers who have based their entire writing style around Firefly.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Oh my ! i just played Progress Quest ! Its like the best RPG i have ever played . Nothing even compares . My dear escapists , each and every one of you , you have to play it now ! Its the most perfect game ever made.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
That A, B , C line had me laughing out loud :D
I know one game I'm staying away from!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Good god yes, Whedon's characters sound like 15 year olds trying to be sarcastic.
Not just that, but they all(or at least the majority) sound the exact same. I think Yatzhee even said as much at a Con once; that for most of the characters, the dialogue is interchangeable while keeping all of them in character. Its the same personality spread amongst 8-10 characters.