Zero Punctuation: Sacred 3 - Nothing Is Sacred

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I liked the first two sacred games, which had their problems, but they were compensated for by some very good ideas and having a huge, open world, which I found fun to explore. The third one is an example of why I don't think people should be allowed to make an entirely different type of game and then claim it's a sequel to an existing franchise. This game is nothing like either of the other Sacred games, and isn't even made by the same people, so I have no idea why they would call it "Sacred 3" other than to intentionally deceive fans of the first two games for some quick cash.

That said Sacred is not for everyone, and I understand a lot of people really didn't like it, but it did have fans (like me) obviously.

That said the original development team is doing a successor to "Sacred" called "Unbended" somehow they lost the rights to their own franchise name, and basically continued to make "Sacred 3" but couldn't use their own name. Allegedly they wanted to try and call the game "Unsacred" but however the current guys got the name, they said the new name was too similar so they couldn't use it.

That said I imagine a lot of people who didn't like Sacred before won't like "Unbended", but for those of us who fans, that's the game to keep an eye on apparently.

As far as Joss Whedon goes, I actually like his body of work, and am a big fan of things like "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and it's "Angel" spin off as much, or more so, than Firefly. That said it needs to be understood that a lot of people who imitate Joss Whedon do irk me, because they just don't pull it off as well. Not to mention that the whole "smug, sarcastic" hero crossed with a teenage girl worked, because at the time Joss did it, it was fairly unique, something that hadn't been overused. The problem is everyone decided to play "follow the leader" and as a result the entire thing got old, stale, and kind of lame. Largely because people kept doing the same kinds of things, and didn't find new ways to use it. Where it was cool when Buffy did it, because her lines were somewhat unexpected, it became less cool when you saw everyone do it. That and it should also be noted that a lot of Whedon's material that other people keep stealing from was written decades ago, and times have changed, so it makes a lot of the same schticks dated.

In Yahtzee's case though I suspect he's merely envious of Joss because he's the one guy who creates characters that do Yahtzee's whole "smug sarcasm" routine better than he does. I mean I can't be the only one who looks at such criticisms and thinks it's like the pot calling the kettle black. The only real difference between Yahtzee and Whedonisms (both of whom have been highly quotable) is that Yahtzee works in some self-depreciation into his work to be funny, where with Joss Whedon the thing was his characters were smug, sarcastic, and usually came out of the worst situations without a hair out of place which was part of the humor. But it worked also because in his case his characters had a lot going on with them that the bad guys didn't realize. Buffy had that whole "chosen one, great destiny" thing in spades, she knew it, and used it at times, she pretty much knew when she fought monsters she was pretty much the thing that big, scary, demons spent thousands of years being afraid might be under THEIR bed. The fun thing about Buffy is that while she did have the stereotypical reluctant hero thing going on, she also got over it, and eventually always got into being a hero at some point when stuff started to go down (even if she went back to the original status quo and got morose again at some point, but it was the 1990s, emo was in). In Firefly the whole schtick was that Mal was smarter than everyone else thought he was, and liked to mock people when he eventually demonstrated how he was one step ahead of someone who thought they were ahead of the situation. He was more "Slippery" Jim Digriz with a bit of Johnny Alpha (for those who might know "The Stainless Steel Rat" is and might be familiar with Strontium Dogs) than say Batman or other kinds of more grim "master planner" type characters.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
Sacred 1 was occasionally fun, and its unorthodox skill/ability system was interesting.
Sacred 2 took everything that was good about Sacred 1 and ruined it.
Sacred 3 has almost nothing to do with Sacred 1 and 2.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
CelestDaer said:
The only thing I came in to comment on, is, I'm pretty sure the plural of Ride to Hell is Ride to Hells, since Ride to Hell is a whole thought...
The plural of aide de camp is aides de camp, even in English, even if it's a single term and loan word. I'm not an English major though, so this is just my two cents.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
The Xbox 360 version of Sacred 2 was by far, the worst game I played in that generation. You couldn't pay me to play this.

I wonder if the console version still has combat where you literally just hold down one button that targets, moves you in range of the enemy and cycles through your entire combat combo automatically? You could literally just close your eyes, hold down the button and everything would be dead when you opened them 30 seconds later. Telltale games have better gameplay than that garbage.

Yes I know the PC version probably had a different combat system, but I bought it on the 360 because friends wanted me to. Couldn't do much about it (I'd never play a game like that solo, even if it had excellent combat).

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
What did you expect? It had a review embargo date on it.
That's the telltale sign of DO NOT BUY, DO NOT PLAY.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
The only thing this does for me is open up old wounds. A friend of mine basically twisted one of my arms until I gave in and bought Sacred 2 - and I hated every moment of it for five hours.

"Yeah," he says "but Blind Guardian wrote the theme song and there's even an entire freaking level centered on them!"

I've long since realized that buying a shit game because of some Metal band's involvement was the worst decision ever, and one 20$ I'd practically kill to have back.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
LoneWolf83 said:
As an armature writer I have to say: Yatzee is dead on when it comes to writing.
I'm going to have to give "armature writer" my Typo of the Week award. :D That made me smile. And then made me wonder what are armature writer would actually be...

taltamir

Mar 16, 2005
from the video: "a product by people who have never designed a game, written a story, or attempted comedy before, but were pretty sure it couldn't be that hard; well considering it is the third game in a series perhaps they have tried it before"
The answer to that question is that they haven't. A completely different company made sacred 3, they just used the same name because for some reason the company that owns the name decided they wanted to screw their loyal customers.

Cekil1

Aug 22, 2008
I watched a Let's Play of this game on RageSelect and it was summarily ripped apart by the two guys giving it a go. Thank you for making it even easier to ignore this pile of BS masquerading as a game sequel.

Also, is it just me or are all the Joss fans coming off as being angry someone disagrees with them?